What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Nick Chubb, CLE (3 Viewers)

Career ender
You have the diagnosis already?
His left knee bent 45 degrees FORWARD.

I didn't stay at Holiday Inn last night, but I'd bet we won't see him again for, at least, a full year.
I might be wrong, but forward isn't nearly as bad as if it went sideways.
It's tough to tell the exact direction from the replay/pictures.

It may have gone sideways some too.

Either way, I choose not to look at it anymore.

I'm really sick of the stranglehold the NFL/NCAA's collusion has over these athletes. If he would have left last year no doubt would he have gone pretty high in the draft.

Agreed. It's ridiculous. I feel really bad for these kids because it's hard for them to sit out. Nobody has really done it before so the media would have a field day with it.

Why would he pass out? Never heard of that before with a knee injury.
There is a medical condition that can happen with people when they get an injury. The body reacts and is protecting itself. It happened to me after I got the big V. I felt fine and the next thing I knew I blacked out. I've never passed out before or after that either. His body may have been saying - holy #### - I need a break.

buck naked said:
jurb26 said:
There is a medical condition that can happen with people when they get an injury. The body reacts and is protecting itself. It happened to me after I got the big V. I felt fine and the next thing I knew I blacked out. I've never passed out before or after that either. His body may have been saying - holy #### - I need a break.
Yeah but that's usually associated with sever pain, right. That doesn't really fit with ligament injuries IIRC. Early reports are its a broken leg, which would align with the pain and passing out.

Last edited by a moderator:
jurb26 said:
Fairly frequent with tramatic/painful injuries. Just heard speculation on ESPN about it being a broken bone, which would certainly fit the bill.

Bojang0301 said:
I'm really sick of the stranglehold the NFL/NCAA's collusion has over these athletes. If he would have left last year no doubt would he have gone pretty high in the draft.
He's got 20 months to recover before the next draft. Gurley went top 10 five months after his injury. Plenty of opportunity for a happy ending.

jurb26 said:
Fairly frequent with tramatic/painful injuries. Just heard speculation on ESPN about it being a broken bone, which would certainly fit the bill.

Bojang0301 said:
He's got 20 months to recover before the next draft. Gurley went top 10 five months after his injury. Plenty of opportunity for a happy ending.
Unless he's Marcus Lattimore.

jurb26 said:
Bojang0301 said:
Nothing about this injury looks like a Lattimore situation, though.

jurb26 said:

Bojang0301 said:
Yes I forgot what happened to Lattimore will happen to every other elite RB. Ezekiel Elloitt's been warned.

Hate to see this sort of thing. Guy was an absolute stud. One of the top 3-4 skill positions in college football, if not #1. I felt he would've been a first round pick in 2015 if eligible. Most impressive RB prospect I have seen since Richardson. In the back of my mind I did always fear this sort of thing given the way he extends plays, but on some level it's just random bad luck that can strike anyone. Here's hoping his recovery is more Gore/McGahee than Lattimore. FWIW I felt Lattimore was overrated in the first place. Not in the same class of talent as Chubb, but that's a different discussion.

Interesting dilemma for those of us in dev leagues. I have him on one team and won't sell. I would think about buying elsewhere if the price were right because this guy is a top 5 NFL RB if healthy, but then you have to weigh the probability of him never making it all the way back. Big loss for football.

Assuming he didn't pass out from pure pain (it can happen), a lot of people react to physical trauma or the knowledge that they're injured by passing out. It's called vasovagal syncope.

Most impressive RB prospect I have seen since Richardson.
Smh
Richardson in the NFL was an absolute ##### show, but that doesn't wipe out his college career. He was hands-down a more impressive college back than Lacy and Ingram and went #3 overall in the draft at a non-premium position in a top-heavy class. That he subsequently busted in spectacular fashion doesn't change the fact that he was unanimously regarded as one of the elite RB prospects of the past decade at the time when he was drafted. He even pulled a first round pick a second time in his career when the Colts traded for him, so obviously he was very highly thought of at one point in time.

After the game, coach Mark Richt said of Chubb: “I’m optimistic that it won’t require surgery, but I can’t say 100 percent. I just don’t want to give too much information because I don’t know for sure. As of right now, we’re still pretty hopeful that it won’t require surgery but we’re not 100 percent sure of that. We’ve got to get some confirmation tomorrow.”

Hoping it isn't too serious, that's he done playing college ball, and he's fully recovered by the 2017 draft.

Hoping it isn't too serious, that's he done playing college ball, and he's fully recovered by the 2017 draft.
He'll be playing college bal again next year. I don't think this is anything to worry about long term. Michel now gets to show he's worthy of a 2nd or 3rd round pick as well. The UGA RB factory rolls on.

buck naked said:
jurb26 said:
Yeah but that's usually associated with sever pain, right. That doesn't really fit with ligament injuries IIRC.Early reports are its a broken leg, which would align with the pain and passing out.
Sever pain? He didn't lose the leg, did he?

jurb26 said:

Bojang0301 said:
Yes I forgot what happened to Lattimore will happen to every other elite RB. Ezekiel Elloitt's been warned.
Hey doctor, we don't even have a diagnosis yet. His injury could be ok. It also may not. Fact is, he's injured and nobody knows.

Glass half-full folks will say he will be fine. But that's all they are at this point... glass half-full folks.

Unless, of course, you have some actual informational insights you would like to add?

jurb26 said:
Bojang0301 said:
:shrug: Who's to say at this point?

Your leg isn't supposed to bend like this.

Or like this.

jurb26 said:
Bojang0301 said:
:shrug: Who's to say at this point?Your leg isn't supposed to bend like this.

Or like this.
If you can't see the difference in those pics, than I don't think I can help you. :shrug:

jurb26 said:
Bojang0301 said:

Or like this.
If you can't see the difference in those pics, than I don't think I can help you. :shrug:
Good grief, internet picture doc--if you can make a diagnosis at this point, you are in the wrong profession man. Millions of dollars await you!

You don't know. Neither do I. We both hope that it turns out for the the kid--modern medicine is on his side (and your prediction for his future). But it's too bad that this didn't happen to him on an NFL playing field, after getting paid because of some silly rule keeping him from doing so.

buck naked said:
jurb26 said:
This happened to me too. Played baseball in highschool and was shifted to 1st baseman my senior year with little coaching. Stretched out for a throw, veered into the first baseline and the runner plowed into my outstretched left arm.

Severe hyperextension and torn ligaments. Blacked out and when I came to I couldn't see anything, could only hear my teammates around me and my coach telling me to quick cursing.

Blacking out must have helped bc I wasn't in extreme pain. I was just physically ill that I knew my season was over.

I chose to forego all collegiate offers bc that was the last sports injury I wanted to rehab from (twisted my spine the year before). Still deal w residual effects of both injuries too.

I feel for every college athlete who could be paid to play but isn't allow to. I feel much more for those who suffer injuries like Chubb that will affect their futures forever, financially or not.

jurb26 said:
Bojang0301 said:

Or like this.
Good grief, internet picture doc--if you can make a diagnosis at this point, you are in the wrong profession man. Millions of dollars await you!You don't know. Neither do I. We both hope that it turns out for the the kid--modern medicine is on his side (and your prediction for his future). But it's too bad that this didn't happen to him on an NFL playing field, after getting paid because of some silly rule keeping him from doing so.
Good grief.... I never claimed to know anything. I'm simply pointing out how different those pics look.

You don't know. Neither do I. We both hope that it turns out for the the kid--modern medicine is on his side (and your prediction for his future). But it's too bad that this didn't happen to him on an NFL playing field, after getting paid because of some silly rule keeping him from doing so.
I never claimed to know anything. I'm simply pointing out how different those pics look.
Ohhhhh, you're saying that these are two different players who both appear to have gotten significant knee injuries, once of which ended the career of the player in question (while the other we just don't know about yet). And that the pictures of these significant knee injuries don't look exactly the same.

I agree.

Smh
Richardson in the NFL was an absolute ##### show, but that doesn't wipe out his college career. He was hands-down a more impressive college back than Lacy and Ingram and went #3 overall in the draft at a non-premium position in a top-heavy class. That he subsequently busted in spectacular fashion doesn't change the fact that he was unanimously regarded as one of the elite RB prospects of the past decade at the time when he was drafted. He even pulled a first round pick a second time in his career when the Colts traded for him, so obviously he was very highly thought of at one point in time.
The "smh" is more about your incessant posting about how great Richardson was, and Chubb is, in what seems to be some sort of misguided attempt to discredit Todd Gurley.

We get it, you didn't like Gurley. No reason to remind us in every single thread.

It's akin to someone posting as often as possible about how great Mark Sanchez and Conner Cook are, to discredit Andrew Luck, because they were wrong about him.

Yes the jury is still out on Gurley, but so far, it looks like you missed on that one.

It's ok. You don't have to continue acting like he's not an elite talent.

We all miss sometimes.

Smh
Trich college stats: 540 carries for 3130 yards 5.8 35 TD, 68 rec 730 yards 7 TD

Gurley college sts : 510 carries for 3285 yards 6.4 36 TD, 65 rec 615 yards 6 TD, 2 kickoff return Tds on 11 attempts.

Offensive line prospects drafted or in NFL(off the top of my head)

Trich also had James Carp, Barrett Jones, Chance Warmack, DJ Fluker, Cyrus Kouandjio.

vs

Gurley had David Andrews(undrafted).

Seems easy to me.

Chubb has major major knee damage - hell I've blown my ACL and torn meniscus in both knee's ( 3 surgeries ) and my legs NEVER bent in any ways like that.

Sucks for the young man, it really does.

Hate to see this sort of thing. Guy was an absolute stud. One of the top 3-4 skill positions in college football, if not #1. I felt he would've been a first round pick in 2015 if eligible. Most impressive RB prospect I have seen since Richardson. In the back of my mind I did always fear this sort of thing given the way he extends plays, but on some level it's just random bad luck that can strike anyone. Here's hoping his recovery is more Gore/McGahee than Lattimore. FWIW I felt Lattimore was overrated in the first place. Not in the same class of talent as Chubb, but that's a different discussion.

Interesting dilemma for those of us in dev leagues. I have him on one team and won't sell. I would think about buying elsewhere if the price were right because this guy is a top 5 NFL RB if healthy, but then you have to weigh the probability of him never making it all the way back. Big loss for football.
I feel for Chubb and he'll be back. I agree he's a top prospect. But I think Fournette is the most impressive RB prospect. I wonder what an injury like Chubb's makes Fournette think? He will play next year but it sucks when a kid could be a top 10 pick right now and make money be forced to run the injury gauntlet of another season.

The NFL/NCAA is all about the free market until it doesn't work for them. If a player is good enough to be drafted into the NFL he should be allowed to leave. Not artificially held back because of some technicality.

Richt has come out and said he's hopeful that Chubb doesn't need surgery. I don't see how that's possible but maybe it's just a freak injury. Honestly, I'd be shocked to find out he doesn't but Richt insinuated he had been told something by the docs. :shrug: Just hoping the kid recovers quickly and completely.

The NFL/NCAA is all about the free market until it doesn't work for them. If a player is good enough to be drafted into the NFL he should be allowed to leave. Not artificially held back because of some technicality.
They are doing this to protect the kids. Numerous NFL players have said that a vast majority of 19 year olds aren't physically ready for the NFL. Yes Fournette is an exception but if you open it up for him how many kids who aren't ready will bolt for the NFL and end up being busts? It's a good rule that's been in place for years yet this has only been an issue a couple of times. AP, Clowney and now Fournette are the only 3 that I think were ready after year 2.

They are doing this to protect the kids. Numerous NFL players have said that a vast majority of 19 year olds aren't physically ready for the NFL. Yes Fournette is an exception but if you open it up for him how many kids who aren't ready will bolt for the NFL and end up being busts? It's a good rule that's been in place for years yet this has only been an issue a couple of times. AP, Clowney and now Fournette are the only 3 that I think were ready after year 2.
I don't have a problem with the wait for this reason. It's the ludicrous notion that the NCAA hoards all of the revenue and profits on these kids, though. By and large, you're right. The percentage of kids capable of making the transition earlier are pretty small. It sucks for the exceptions who might be able to but it protects the vast majority that simply can't. We all know that if I was opened up far more than the guys capable would leave and likely be inversely impacted.

Smh
Trich college stats: 540 carries for 3130 yards 5.8 35 TD, 68 rec 730 yards 7 TD

Gurley college sts : 510 carries for 3285 yards 6.4 36 TD, 65 rec 615 yards 6 TD, 2 kickoff return Tds on 11 attempts.

Offensive line prospects drafted or in NFL(off the top of my head)

Trich also had James Carp, Barrett Jones, Chance Warmack, DJ Fluker, Cyrus Kouandjio.

vs

Gurley had David Andrews(undrafted).

Seems easy to me.
Is the point here to prove that Gurley was a somewhat better prospect than Richardson? Don't think most people would have a problem agreeing with that.

Posts like "smh" are just useless additions to these boards. EBF makes an excellent case why Richardson's draft profile belongs in the category of Gurley, Chubb. I'd love to see someone try to prove the opposite beyond "smh".

Btw, I don't disagree with your numbers, of course, but if you want to be truly objective in your comparison, you should include Gurley coming out with an injury flag, which Richardson didn't have.

The difference is they get paid. If they bust in the NFL because they came out to early they will have earned a lot of money doing it. If they bust because of injury in college their life is ruined.

The difference is they get paid. If they bust in the NFL because they came out to early they will have earned a lot of money doing it. If they bust because of injury in college their life is ruined.
A lot of underclassmen declare early, due to inflated ideas about their draft stock, and don't even get drafted or make money, period. It would happen just as often with dumb sophomores or freshmen coming out.

They should be able to earn royalties off their likeness in college but have a cap. Simple.

Th should be able to earn royalties off their likeness in college but have a cap. Simple.
Why the cap? I don't see why we don't let them earn what they can.

Th should be able to earn royalties off their likeness in college but have a cap. Simple.
Opens up Pandora's box and blurs the line on collegiate and professional football IMO. The intent of schooling still matters.

Their life is ruined?

They might as well put a gun to their head.

Oy.

Opens up Pandora's box and blurs the line on collegiate and professional football IMO. The intent of schooling still matters.
The NCAA has already blurred those lines marketing and squeezing every dime they can out of these kids.

The NCAA has already blurred those lines marketing and squeezing every dime they can out of these kids.
Then these kids should start their own amiture league where they can make as much as possible without regards to school. This isn't JUST about football.

Then these kids should start their own amiture league where they can make as much as possible without regards to school. This isn't JUST about football.
You can't have it both ways. If the schools are allowed to squeeze every dime they can out of these kids then the players should be able to make whatever they can. Pretty simple really.

Users who are viewing this thread