What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is this even legal? Religious song in public school concert (1 Viewer)

CowboysFromHell

Footballguy
My daughter's choir performance at school this evening was billed as a "Holiday concert". The last song was Silent Night, and they even had the audience stand up and participate. Seemed strange. Is this allowed in a public school performance?

Silent night, Holy night

All is calm, all is bright

Round yon virgin, mother and child

Holy infant, tender and mild

Sleep in heavenly peace,

Sleep in heavenly peace.

Silent night, Holy night

Son of God, love's pure light

Radiant beams from thy holy face

With the dawn of redeeming grace,

Jesus, Lord at thy birth

Jesus, Lord at thy birth.

Silent night, Holy night

Shepherds quake, at the sight

Glories stream from heaven above

Heavenly, hosts sing Hallelujah.

Christ the Savior is born,

Christ the Savior is born.

Does the performance have the purpose of "advancement of the students' knowledge of society's cultural and religious heritage, as well as the provision of an opportunity for students to perform a full range of music, poetry and drama that is likely to be of interest to the students and their audience"?

Probably why we sang songs in Latin at ours. Adeste Fidelis, Laeti Triumphantes, Venite Venite in Bethlehem.

Never had thought about why we always sang that one until the question and subsequent answers.

My daughter's choir performance at school this evening was billed as a "Holiday concert". The last song was Silent Night, and they even had the audience stand up and participate. Seemed strange. Is this allowed in a public school performance?

Silent night, Holy night

All is calm, all is bright

Round yon virgin, mother and child

Holy infant, tender and mild

Sleep in heavenly peace,

Sleep in heavenly peace.

Silent night, Holy night

Son of God, love's pure light

Radiant beams from thy holy face

With the dawn of redeeming grace,

Jesus, Lord at thy birth

Jesus, Lord at thy birth.

Silent night, Holy night

Shepherds quake, at the sight

Glories stream from heaven above

Heavenly, hosts sing Hallelujah.

Christ the Savior is born,

Christ the Savior is born.
If it's illegal that's sad and unfortunate. "Let's have a Holiday concert!"

general murmur of agreement

"But of course we can't reference anything remotely religious in the Holiday concert."

but what if the holidays we are having a concert for are broadly religious in nature?

"Well we will stick with secular songs!"

ok like an old man who comes down from the sky and spreads hope and joy and judges right from wrong?

"Exactly!"

It kind of is. I was more downplaying my own efforts than criticizing yours, btw.

Kind of like: Here's what my ignant ### found in a Google search, because I'd never thought too hard about religious songs at a public school event, especially since they're not prayers, etc.

I'm remembering our annual song, and we even spoke in English after Latin. I'm sure that way the school board could point to translation, which they actually did teach, so it wasn't just a dodge.

Interesting to remember things from your youth and how they've been shaped by political forces way beyond your control.

It kind of is. I was more downplaying my own efforts than criticizing yours, btw.

Kind of like: Here's what my ignant ### found in a Google search, because I'd never thought too hard about religious songs at a public school event, especially since they're not prayers, etc.
I hadn't thought about it too much either, but it struck me as a bit odd given all I hear these days about lawsuits over promoting religion in public schools. The above article makes a lot of sense though.

Does the performance have the purpose of "advancement of the students' knowledge of society's cultural and religious heritage, as well as the provision of an opportunity for students to perform a full range of music, poetry and drama that is likely to be of interest to the students and their audience"?
Pretty much this.

But it is a fine line.

Hey at our Winter concert - we get Jewish songs, African songs, secular holiday songs - not so much anything referencing Christ/Jesus/Mary etc. Why? Bunch of ACLU ####### I guess. Although I have to admit the Dreidel song is pretty freaking catchy.

I'm a Christian, but I get a little squeamish when our middle school and high school choirs perform songs that that are overtly religious. No issues with our kids of course, but I want these groups to be inclusive, and I don't see that they are.

I went to public school. When I was in high school chorus (granted, this was a while ago ;) ), we did sing a couple of the more religious Christmas carols during our holiday concerts (Silent Night and O Come All Ye Faithful), along with plenty of the nonreligious songs. I'm Jewish, and I'd be lying if I said it didn't make me feel a bit odd singing the religious songs. I ended up just mouthing the words during the lines about Jesus.

Users who are viewing this thread