What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL 'Fear The Walking Dead' Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Ooo, I wasn't really excited, though I'm sure I would have given it a shot. Seeing that it's set mostly in civilization got me eager to see it, though.
It's gotta be better than people running around in the backwoods of Georgia.
It doesn't have to be. I'd watch double the episodes of WD with no complaints.

It makes me think of the podcast We're Alive, also a zomie-ish show set in LA.

Yeah it looks good but you gotta realize thats a season worth of action in one trailer.
To me, that's a good sign - we'll get at least a season of the decline of civilization, instead of jumping straight to post-apocalypse.

I can't imagine what will take over this thread with Lori still living, gas not yet gone bad, and logically mowed lawns. There probably won't be any struts on the wrong side of barrier walls, zombies raining into Costcos, or irrational van flipping physics either.

But we'll find something. It is inevitable.

I can't imagine what will take over this thread with Lori still living, gas not yet gone bad, and logically mowed lawns. There probably won't be any struts on the wrong side of barrier walls, zombies raining into Costcos, or irrational van flipping physics either.

Don't jinx the show with a Lori reference. She's been gone so long I keep forgetting how bad her character was.

interesting fact: the running guy from the trailer is actually the son of Stephen Dillane, Stannis from Game of Thrones.

Oh I'm sure that one jackwagon (officer something-or-other) will find an issue that makes this the worst show on television.

I have an auction draft going during the premiere. Typically, I love watching real time whilst being in the fbg thread (usually to crack wise about mowed lawns or something). Maybe I can do all 3 at once?

Might have been asked/answered but I don't feel like searching.

How long is the premier on for? Hour? Hour and a half? 2 hours hopefully?!??

Curious if or how they will work in the ''everyone already has the virus in them '' angle
Everyone doesn't have it yet, I don't think. I think we will find that happening, i.e. the kid that was in the church isn't dead yet, but he was around it. I think we will see the part about the virus spreading. If everyone already had it, then the dead would have already starting rising. Honestly, somehow I think that church scene may be the source of it. Drugees sharing needles, etc.

Curious if or how they will work in the ''everyone already has the virus in them '' angle
Everyone doesn't have it yet, I don't think. I think we will find that happening, i.e. the kid that was in the church isn't dead yet, but he was around it. I think we will see the part about the virus spreading. If everyone already had it, then the dead would have already starting rising. Honestly, somehow I think that church scene may be the source of it. Drugees sharing needles, etc.
that doesn't really make sense.

either everybody has it, or not. otherwise, how are there zombies, and how would everybody else get it?

my guess is some mysterious flu like disease infects the word-- 90% die within a day or two, and come back as zombies.. the remaining 10% are carriers, but show no symptoms until they die

that doesn't really make sense.

either everybody has it, or not. otherwise, how are there zombies, and how would everybody else get it?
Agree with Parrotthead. It makes sense to me. It has to start at some point, this is the start. They mention flu like symptoms in the preview and how many kids are home from school. I think it must spread and kill some people and even the people who do OK with it now will come back as zombies if they die. Imagine a very, very contagious virus outbreak. The point is that everyone eventually gets it, but in this show, I don't think everyone has it day 1. Again, if everyone had it, there would already be zombies galore. According to 2012 stats, 150k+ people die each day, so there would likely be a few news stories if everyone already had it before this show.

The only thing I don't agree with is the 90% death rate. I don't think that many people die from the flu, probably some do, but that flu spreads the virus and as people die it starts. If it was a 90% death rate, no chance that Carl, Lori, Rick and Shane are all alive. We never heard anything about the "flu" when Shane talked to Rick about the stuff in the hospital.

yeah- the last sentence is why I don't think it's a virus or flu.

if "everybody has it" within weeks, but it doesn't kill you- just turns you into a zombie when you die (or accelerates your death when bitten), IMO it's some kind of crazily quick/instantaneous goofy reason (asteroid dust, water fluoridation, VBD, etc)... not something actually plausible, like a viral pandemic.

if "everybody has it" within weeks, but it doesn't kill you- just turns you into a zombie when you die (or accelerates your death when bitten), IMO it's some kind of crazily quick/instantaneous goofy reason (asteroid dust, water fluoridation, VBD, etc)... not something actually plausible, like a viral pandemic.
and based on what has been said many, many times by the writers we will probably never know.. Just like the characters don't know the "zombie" term.. :loco:

Last edited by a moderator:
wonder what they will call the undead in this one--- all the good ones are taken:

biters, walkers, eaters, geeks.. need some new zombie nicknames

In the CDC episode, the doctor doesn't say he knows what it is, but viral is one of the options. He also mentions that it attacks the brain like meningitis, which in most cases is caused by a virus. It doesn't have to be a virus, but with the previews focusing on a "flu" it sure seems like that is what they are telling us started it.

Also, do we know how long this show lasts? No idea how long it took to get to our folks in Atlanta. I am not sure why you think something whacky has to be the cause instead of something plausible. Think of it on the scale of the black plague in terms of contagion and then add in the global travel and if we had a viral infection (or bacterial) that was airborne/highly contagious. I think everyone having it within weeks isn't a stretch for a fictional TV show/comic book.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even a 20% mortality rate on a highly infectious disease would wipe out 87,000,000 people in the U.S.

Figure exponential spread, maybe 7 weeks to infect the majority of the population.

A small town of 5,000 residents would have 1,000 walking corpses that appear, initially, to be unstoppable. It would take most people a bit to realize that head shots kill, especially after multiple torso shots accomplish nothing.

wonder what they will call the undead in this one--- all the good ones are taken:

biters, walkers, eaters, geeks.. need some new zombie nicknames
lolcats
"Infected", because "We're coming up with as much cool West Coast verbiage as we can". Per producer Dave Erickson.

:lmao:
wow.

but if that's a real quote, I'm switching over and supporting Bug's well-laid out theory. plus, people that have encyclopedic memory about this crap and can pull out bits of info from random episodes years ago... frighten me.

So, who thinks that the cast/characters from each Walking Dead show will all eventually meet up somewhere? Or at least reference each other in some way?

well if its spread from person to person and it started in ,say the church, how would isolated tribes in the amazon get the virus ...just using them as an example

Users who are viewing this thread