What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

timschochet's thread- Mods, please move this thread to the Politics Subforum, thank you (4 Viewers)

Quite a few.  Some I've never heard of.  Some I've heard of and aggressively avoided (Can't Buy Me Love.  Really?).  All that said, I will go with Independence Day as my especially disliked choice here.  The entire film is just insipid, with the most awful moment being when they take down the aliens with a home-brewed virus.  That's bad even by summer blockbuster standards.   
No, it's when the firestorm blasts through the tunnel, and not only does th dog make it, but none of the main characters die of asphyxiation.

That was the kill shot of an epically bad movie

No, it's when the firestorm blasts through the tunnel, and not only does th dog make it, but none of the main characters die of asphyxiation.

That was the kill shot of an epically bad movie
It's a comic book.

There's about a half dozen comic book movies on my list. By that term I'm not talking about superheroes, but about plot lines that are so silly that they defy rationality. They're few and far between for me in terms of the entire list, but the ones I love, I love.

It's a comic book.

There's about a half dozen comic book movies on my list. By that term I'm not talking about superheroes, but about plot lines that are so silly that they defy rationality. They're few and far between for me in terms of the entire list, but the ones I love, I love.
DO you have Braindead on your list? Because a lot of people who make that argument rate it highly.....

57. Wall Street (1987)

Directed by: Oliver Stone

Starring: Michael Douglas, Charlie Sheen, Martin Sheen, Daryl Hannah

Oliver Stone is hit and miss for me; this is easily my favorite of his films, even though it's essentially an attack against capitalism and a lot of what I believe in. But this movie is a well made, effective piece of propaganda. 

Douglas is brilliant as the Faustian villain, and Charlie Sheen turns in his best performance (which isn't saying much given his career but still...) 

Next up: This is what the jury is going to see. But she's tiny. She's most the defenseless little thing you've ever seen. 

56. The Accused (1988)

Directed by: Jonathan Kaplan

Starring: Jodie Foster, Kelly McGillis

This is a taut, suspenseful, landmark film about rape. A lot of women I have known have found it difficult to watch because the story it tells feels so real and accurate. For me, the acting and script are so mesmerizing that the disturbing nature of the subject matter is something I can handle- but then, I've never been raped or threatened with rape and I am not a woman- I might feel differently if that was the case.

Foster is terrific in this role, and McGillis is very solid. Leo Rossi as the main villain is especially vile and despicable.

Up next: You are probably going to be a very successful computer person. But you're going to go through life thinking that girls don't like you because you're a nerd. And I want you to know, from the bottom of my heart, that that won't be true. It'll be because you're an #######.

55. The Social Network (2010)

Directed by: David Fincher

Starring: Jessie Eisenberg, Andrew Garfield, Justin Timberlake

One of Aaron Sorkin's best scripts focuses on the founding of Facebook. This sharply written and directed film is absolutely fascinating and engrossing from beginning to end, and a large part of that is Jessie Eisenberg. I have no idea how close he is to portraying the real Mark Zuckerberg (based on interviews, I suspect not much) but that doesn't matter in terms of the film's entertainment, as Eisenberg creates his own neurotic character. and the actor manages to make him both admirable and unlikable, and the viewer in awe of him and yet pity him, all at the same time. Pretty damn brilliant.

The direction is great as well and I wasn't a fan of Fincher before this film. I HATED Alien 3 with the heat of a thousand suns. I'm aware that tons of people love the films Seven and Fight Club, but I am not one of them. This is really the only time I have liked one of his movies (though to be fair, there's a few I have not seen.)

Up next: You're not anybody in America unless you're on TV. On TV is where we learn about who we really are. Because what's the point of doing anything worthwhile if nobody's watching? And if people are watching, it makes you a better person.

I have a love/hate feeling for TSN. It's excellently written and executed and a good movie. But from what I gather, the events didn't go down as shown and differ enough that it seems to border on slander.

But it's no doubt a very good movie.

I have a love/hate feeling for TSN. It's excellently written and executed and a good movie. But from what I gather, the events didn't go down as shown and differ enough that it seems to border on slander.

But it's no doubt a very good movie.
This is always an interesting dilemma for me. In my list of favorite novels I discussed it at length with my pick of Exodus by Leon Uris, about the formation of the state of Israel. That novel is complete propaganda, and not really close to the truth of what actually happened from what I understand. But it is effective and entertaining propaganda. So is Gone With the Wind (a movie I like very much, but not on this list), which presents the antebellum South in a very positive light, with happy, cheerful slaves. And there are lots of other examples.

In the end, I think you gotta go with the entertainment value and forget about the accuracy.

54. To Die For (1995)

Directed by: Gus Van Sant

Starring: Nicole Kidman, Matt Dillon, Joaquin Phoenix

Nicole Kidman gives one of the best acting performances I have ever seen as a wannabe television newscaster who convinces her teenage lover to murder her husband. This dark comedy is based (very loosely) on a true story, and it follows the novel of the same name (also brilliant and one of my favorites) pretty closely. Besides Kidman in her best performance, Phoenix is really good here as is the entire cast, and the documentary style of the film really works well.

Along with The Truman Show, and two more films yet to be reviewed on my list, this movie has a powerful message to make about the allure of television, and it is decidedly not a good message.

Up next: He's lovely, he's a lovely man. And he told me the plot of his new book. And he said, "I just wanted to make sure it's not one of those problem novels," you know. And I said , "Jimmy. Your book is about a Negro homosexual who's in love with a Jew. Wouldn't you call that a problem?"

53. Capote (2005)

Directed by: Bennett Miller

Starring: Phillip Seymour Hoffmann, Catherine Keeger, Chris Cooper

Some solid acting here by Hoffmann. Capote is presented as an unlikable voyeur, yet you can't help admiring his brilliance. The true horror here, of course, is the In Cold Blood tale, which has been told a few times before; the difference here is that Capote is a significant part of the tale (whereas in the book and previous films his presence is invisible.) As familiar as many of us are with this story and so many like it, it is still shocking; the essence of evil. But as terrible a human being as Perry Smith is presented here, one still feels a certain revulsion as to how he is manipulated by the Capote character in this film.

The last two decades have been a time when homosexuality has become accepted in our society, and Hollywood has played a large part of this, with dozens of sympathetic gay characters in movies and television. Because of that, I considered it somewhat refreshing that here was a film that presented a gay man who is really a jerk, with lots of warts exposed. Yet completely fascinating.

Up next: "Kill Kill Kill the White Man" by Eugene Mamalookaboobooday. Eugene is my pen name 'cause I wrote this while I was in the Pen.

I did not find any overlap with Tim's book list and mine. Hopefully movies will go better. I think Tim will include movies made before Jaws which is good as most people seem to not have much interest in classic movies. I don't see Tim as the type to have any noir, French New Wave or Welles. Maybe Hitchcock, WIlder or Ford. 
Yeah, it's worse than I thought. 

52. Private Parts (1997)

Directed by: Betty Thomas

Starring: Howard Stern, Robin Quivers, Mary McCormack

So sue me, I really really liked this movie. I've never been a huge fan of Howard Stern, never hated him either. From time to time I enjoy listening to his show. But this film documenting his rise into stardom is actually not only funny but poignant, and consistently entertaining. It's also a revealing look at how we as a society deal with taboo subjects and public censorship.

Watching it again after nearly 20 years, it's also interesting to see McCormack, Alison Janney, and Paul Giamatti before they became well known actors.

Up next: The whole thing goes: The future's not set. There's no fate but what we make for ourselves.

51. Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)

Directed by: James Cameron

Starring: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Linda Hamilton, Edward Furlong

As can be seen from my list, I much prefer serious dramas to "action" movies, but there are certainly some exceptions. T2 might be in competition for the greatest Hollywood action movie ever made, and the sci-fi drama is certainly riveting as well. Linda Hamilton comes to close to another James Cameron heroine (we'll get to her later) as perhaps the toughest woman ever to appear on screen. Arnold is Arnold. This is probably his best role ever since he really doesn't have to do much acting.

Cameron certainly knows how to direct exciting scenes. You watch his films expecting epic action, and the guy brings it every time. Very rare that a sequel exceeds the first film (which I like very much but did not make my list.) This is one of those times.

Up next: They beat up on a weakling; that's all they did. The rest is just smokefilled coffee-house crap. They tortured and tormented a weaker kid. They didn't like him. So, they killed him. And why? Because he couldn't run very fast.

50. A Few Good Men (1992)

Directed by: Rob Reiner

Starring: Tom Cruise, Jack Nicholson, Demi Moore

In which I was introduced to the scriptwriting of Aaron Sorkin, which would come to dominate a good deal of my chosen entertainment for the next 20 years. Sorkin and Reiner here clearly owe a great deal to Herman Wouk's The Caine Mutiny, though Nicholson's Col. Jessup is very different from Bogart's Captain Queeg- less pathetic, and much more deliberately evil. But the tension of the military man on trial asked to defend his actions is the same, and once again it works.

The acting is very good, especially from Jack, as always, and Kiefer Sutherland is sharp. Tom Cruise plays himself again, which he inevitably does in any of the "serious" movies that he appears in. He's not a great movie actor, but like John Wayne and others he is a great movie star and personality, and that works fine in these roles. Demi Moore is pretty but otherwise replaceable.

Up next: "Now I have a machine gun. Ho ho ho."

In which I was introduced to the scriptwriting of Aaron Sorkin, which would come to dominate a good deal of my chosen entertainment for the next 20 years. Sorkin and Reiner here clearly owe a great deal to Herman Wouk's The Caine Mutiny, though Nicholson's Col. Jessup is very different from Bogart's Captain Queeg- less pathetic, and much more deliberately evil. But the tension of the military man on trial asked to defend his actions is the same, and once again it works.

The acting is very good, especially from Jack, as always, and Kiefer Sutherland is sharp. Tom Cruise plays himself again, which he inevitably does in any of the "serious" movies that he appears in. He's not a great movie actor, but like John Wayne and others he is a great movie star and personality, and that works fine in these roles. Demi Moore is pretty but otherwise replaceable.

I love it for the hugging.  

Surprised this wasn't higher. Now that i think of it, i bet tim has spent some fantasy time as Tom Cruise settin' things right.

49. Die Hard (1988)

Directed by: John McTiernan

Starring: Bruce Willis, Alan Rickman, Bonnie Bedelia

As I mentioned, not the greatest action movie fan in the world, so its got to be really special for one of these to make my list. Obviously this movie qualifies, with a great hero and villain, suspenseful and funny dialogue, and terrific fight scenes. Former ballet dancer Alexander Gudunov is especially good as one of the bad guys.

The sequels (I think I saw all 3) were enjoyable as well, though not quite to this level.

Up next: Yeah, to you it's Thanksgiving; to me it's Thursday.

48. Rocky (1976)

Directed by John G. Avildsen

Starring: Sylvester Stallone, Talia Shire, Burt Young, Burgess Meredith, Carl Weathers

Rocky is the best made of the Rocky movies, because it is the least comic book in nature. It actually has some dramatic moments, such as the scenes between Adrian and Pauly, and the poignant love affair between Rocky (who is presented here as kind of a clone of Brando's Terry Malloy from On the Waterfront) and Adrian.

At the same, by comparison, these "serious" scenes make this film the least entertaining of the first 4 films of the series, and therefore it is my least favorite of those films. Though I still love it immensely, and thus it has a pretty good spot here on my list. Carl Weathers, as he does throughout the entire series, steals absolutely every scene he is in.

Up next: He's all wrong for us, baby. I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man kept coming after you. Now we don't need no man like that in our lives.

47. Rocky II (1979)

Directed by: Sylvester Stallone

Starring: Sylvester Stallone, Carl Weathers, Talia Shire, Burt Young, Burgess Meredith

Rocky II is a more entertaining movie than Rocky. Gone are the pretensions of a serious film. Gone are the poignant, sad aspects of Rocky's life. Gone is the unlikelihood of Rocky having any real shot of beating somebody as good as Apollo Creed. Instead we get full absurdity in this film (none more than when Rocky gets a job with Mickey at the gym because he can't afford his old lifestyle.)

And it works. This movie is incredibly ridiculous, and incredibly satisfying and fun to watch. Except for Adrian in a coma (way too drawn out) the whole thing is a blast from start to finish, much more of a comic book than the original. But we're just getting started...

Up next: Pain!

I would put it like this:

Rocky >>>>Rocky III>>Rocky IV>>Rocky II>>>>Rocky V

Rocky was an all time great. Rocky II was pretty weak.

46. Rocky III (1982)

Starring: Sylvester Stallone, Talia Shire, Burgess Meredith, Carl Weathers, Burt Young, Mr. T

Rocky III is more entertaining than Rocky II. At this point in the series, all serious drama is gone and what we have left is sheer comic book. You have to swallow all logic and common sense if you're going to accept the plot of this movie, but what the hell? It works. Clubber Lang, played by Mr. T, is the best villain in this series (and the best fighter, though we don't know what Creed was like in his prime. But Clubber beats Rocky 8 out of 10, he beats Drago every time- yes, he does!) The last fight is probably the best fight in the series, because it doesn't have a montage of rounds passing by.

The training scene, however, leaves something to be desired compared to the other films. And it's ends in a strangely homoerotic sequence in which Apollo and Rocky hug each other with waves crashing into them.

Up next: You have this belief that you are better than us. You have this belief that this country is so very good and we are so very bad. You have this belief that you are so fair and we are so very cruel.

I would put it like this:

Rocky >>>>Rocky III>>Rocky IV>>Rocky II>>>>Rocky V

Rocky was an all time great. Rocky II was pretty weak.
Rocky 4 was the best.  "I MUST BREAK YOU"

Agree with your ranking of Rock 2 though.  I re-watched it a few years ago and it was tough to get through.  Very long with a lot of filler content.

Rocky 4 was the best.  "I MUST BREAK YOU"

Agree with your ranking of Rock 2 though.  I re-watched it a few years ago and it was tough to get through.  Very long with a lot of filler content.
Lundgren made a great villian and the closing song was very good (Hearts On Fire). I also like the part where Rocky climbs the mountain and screams "DRAGO!".

But the film was a lot of the same old formula.

Rocky III broke things up with the wrestling match and Mr T. also made a great villian, so I prefer that one.

Lundgren made a great villian and the closing song was very good (Hearts On Fire). I also like the part where Rocky climbs the mountain and screams "DRAGO!".

But the film was a lot of the same old formula.

Rocky III broke things up with the wrestling match and Mr T. also made a great villian, so I prefer that one.
IV had James Brown, making it the superior Rocky movie.

Last edited by a moderator:
45. Rocky IV (1985)

Starring: Sylvester Stallone, Talia Shire, Dolph Lundgren, Burt Young, Carl Weathers

This is my favorite Rocky movie, barely over the last one, despite the fact that Clubber Lang is a better villain (and boxer) than Ivan Drago. But the whole Russian thing is delightful and ridiculous. One of my favorite scenes in this film is when Rocky gives a press conference announcing that he will fight in Moscow, then returns home to confront Adrian, then leaves home and gets in his car and drives to...where? Russia? Who knows where he drives to in the middle of the night? All we know is that there's no easy way out. Then there is the Russian crowd that starts to cheer for Rocky- this should go down as the single most implausible moment in sports movie history, if not for another, even more implausible scene, which I will get to a short time later on this list.

In any event, this is the last Rocky film on this list. Rocky V was dreadful, the less said the better. Rocky Balboa and Creed were sweet memories of the first 4 films, but lacking their intensity. On the whole, the series should have ended here, with Rocky winning the Cold War.

Up next: I've done far worse than kill you. I've hurt you. And I wish to go on... hurting you.

44. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)

Directed by: Nicholas Meyer

Starring: William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, Deforest Kelley, Ricardo Montalban

The best of the Star Trek movies and perhaps the greatest sci-fi movie ever, though I have a different movie ranked much higher on my own list. In some ways, this movie is similar in corniness to Rocky IV- Ricardo Montalban and William Shatner do their mightiest to outdo each other in ham-handed overacting. Every scene in this movie is great. Kirstie Alley, for the last time in her life, is really hot in this role. Kirk's son is truly annoying.

Nicholas Meyer is a true talent who also wrote a Sherlock Holmes novel I adore, The Seven Percent Solution, as well as directed the fine time travel movie Time After Time. His writing and direction are the key to this film's success, which saved the Star Trek franchise after the dreadful first film.

Next up: This game is ruining my life!

43. Victory (1981)

Directed by: John Huston

Starring: Michael Caine, Sylvester Stallone, Max Von Sydow, Pele

British POWs play soccer against the Nazis, what could be better? This movie combines elements from The Great Escape and The Longest Yard (two excellent movies that were just barely edged out of this list) and features an all-star cast (including, in addition to Pele, several famous soccer players.) There is, unfortunately, an absolutely ridiculous moment late in the film, in which the POWs, given a chance to escape at halftime, choose instead to return to the stadium so that they can try to win the soccer match. You have to overlook this this astounding scene, but if you can it's a very enjoyable watch.

The music is by Bill Conti, most famous for his Rocky theme, and here he gives one of his best efforts.

Up next: I'm not an actor, I'm a movie star!

Users who are viewing this thread