What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

timschochet's thread- Mods, please move this thread to the Politics Subforum, thank you (2 Viewers)

Oh holy hell.  Buckle up because we agree on something.  This movie (Bobby Fischer) is pretty much perfection.

tim, I didn't get to say "come back!" when you left as I was too late, but I'm glad you're back.  I poked into this thread and found my last unread post was May 2016!  

Now for my nearly indefensible admission:  I love Jerry Maguire.  A little part of it could be the circumstances under which I first saw it (helping a friend cheer up from some awful stuff), but largely it's that it's just...always charmed me.  Quite a few times I've settled on it in the "nothing better on" situation of wanting some background noise and then found myself pulled in.  It's unabashedly kind and sweet and uplifting, sort of the way I wish things were.  And funny as hell.

That said, most of your list blows.  Welcome back.
:goodposting:

29. This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

Directed by: Rob Reiner

Starring: Christopher Guest, Michael McKean, Harry Shearer

The funniest movie ever? For me, probably so. Of course, you have to have been a rock fan of the 70s and 80s to truly appreciate it. But since most people my age are, that means most people my age are going to love this film. And they do.

There are so many great gags in this film, and I don't need to mention most of them as they are pretty much famous. The lyrics to "Big Bottoms" (twas my lucky bun day!) are always at the top of the list for me. Actually almost all of the song lyrics are fantastic. The acting is great, particularly by Guest. But Rob Reiner who also wrote the film deserves most of the credit I think. He outdoes his dad in creating a biting, satirical work that is incredibly funny.

Up next: You're television incarnate...: Indifferent to suffering; insensitive to joy. All of life is reduced to the common rubble of banality. War, murder, death are all the same to you as bottles of beer. And the daily business of life is a corrupt comedy. You even shatter the sensations of time and space into split seconds and instant replays. You're madness, .... Virulent madness. And everything you touch dies with you.

Of all the cameos/bit parts in that movie, the one that always gets me is Patrick Macnee. Just a really unexpected (and enjoyable) surprise as Eton-Hogg.

28. Network (1976)

Directed by: Sidney Lumet

Starring: Faye Dunaway, William Holden, Peter Finch, Robert Duvall

Although this movie was directed by Sidney Lumet, it really belongs to one person: it's screenwriter, Paddy Chayefsky. Chayefsky was determined to make a statement about America's media society, and where it was heading. So he created this black satire in which he quite accurately predicted the future of television and the news- it would become more and more a circus in which anything was acceptable for ratings. But as brilliant as this is, Chayefsky goes even deeper than that- in the character of Howard Beale (Finch) he issues a grave warning about the seductive power of populism- something which, as our latest national election has demonstrated, is a lesson society needs to relearn over and over.

If Network concentrated only on these two points, it would no doubt be one of our greatest films. But Chafeysky also features Diane Christensen (Dunaway) as a commentary on the soullessness of the corporate world. The scene in which Dunaway has sex with William Holden and reaches orgasm all the while talking about ratings is marvelous black satire. And their breakup scene, which I quoted from in my last post, includes some of the best writing I have ever seen on screen, as does this entire film. This movie is a magnificent piece of art. 

Up next (about the game of poker) If you look around the table and you can't tell who the sucker is, it's you.

Network is pretty awesome.

The part where you realize they're not kidding about killing Beale was a shocker.

Last edited by a moderator:
27. Quiz Show (1994)

Directed by: Robert Redford

Starring: John Turtturo, Ralph Fiennes, Rob Morrow

Like the last film on my list (Network), this movie is a commentary about the power of television, but it is also specifically about the world of the late 1950s, when it took place. And it's based on a true story, though Redford and the screenwriter (Paul Attanasio) take some dramatic license with what actualy happened. The script is pretty brilliant as are the actors: Fiennes is at the top of his game, in his second best role ever (we'll get to the first one a little later on) while Turtturo is terrifically quirky. Paul Scofield, as Van Doren's professor father, steals every scene he's in (but he always did and it's really too bad Hollywood has so little of this fine actor, who did most of his work on the stage.)

Given the current political atmosphere, with Trump and the accusations of "fake news" from all sides, I think this film is especially pertinent and poignant if watched now over 20 years after it was made. It focuses on dishonesty from the media, the gullibility of the public, and how the public reacts when a celebrity is caught in a lie. Or at least, how they used to react.

Up next: Well, gentlemen, I must say I differ with the keen minds of the South and with our President, who apparently shares their views, offering that the natural state of mankind is instead - and I know this is a controversial idea - is freedom.

27. Quiz Show (1994)

Like the last film on my list (Network), this movie is a commentary about the power of television, but it is also specifically about the world of the late 1950s, when it took place. And it's based on a true story, though Redford and the screenwriter (Paul Attanasio) take some dramatic license with what actualy happened. The script is pretty brilliant as are the actors: Fiennes is at the top of his game, in his second best role ever (we'll get to the first one a little later on) while Turtturo is terrifically quirky. Paul Scofield, as Van Doren's professor father, steals every scene he's in (but he always did and it's really too bad Hollywood has so little of this fine actor, who did most of his work on the stage.)

Given the current political atmosphere, with Trump and the accusations of "fake news" from all sides, I think this film is especially pertinent and poignant if watched now over 20 years after it was made. It focuses on dishonesty from the media, the gullibility of the public, and how the public reacts when a celebrity is caught in a lie. Or at least, how they used to react.

Up next: Well, gentlemen, I must say I differ with the keen minds of the South and with our President, who apparently shares their views, offering that the natural state of mankind is instead - and I know this is a controversial idea - is freedom.
This movie is woefully underappreciated, and I say that not just because Ralph Fiennes was smoking hot in it.  The acting is brilliant all around.  Need to rewatch this in light of current events, as you mention.

Still need more donkey on your list, though.

Great call on Quiz Show. The fact Forrest Gump beat it for Best Picture is one of biggest Academy errors in history. 

27. Quiz Show (1994)

Very nice. Love Quiz Show. Turturro and Fiennes are terrific but agree 100% about Scofield. Chris McDonald was also really good. 

One of the best years ever. Every Best Picture nominee was great and has aged well except for Gump which is a flat out bad movie.
Stop it it's a very good movie. Just watched it last week and it's still damn good. 

Stop it it's a very good movie. Just watched it last week and it's still damn good. 
We can all have opinions. I think it's just beyond absurd and corny. It's pretty condescending to intellectually disabled people as well. 

26. Amistad (1997)

Directed by: Steven Spielberg

Starring: Djimon Hounsou, Matthew McConaughey, Anthony Hopkins

This movie is a fictionalized retelling of the La Amistad slave revolt incident, and while it takes many liberties with the historical record, it's an outstanding and mesmerizing film. The depiction of the Middle Passage is grueling and accurate so far as it goes. The acting and storytelling are superb, as is the score (IMO, one of John Williams' best.) And Anthony Hopkins' speech before the Supreme Court is one of my favorite scenes in all of movies (even though it never happened; John Quincy Adams' argument in real life was highly legalistic).

There is a scene in this movie that I want to discuss here because over the years I've heard two very different perspectives on it and they fascinate me. It's the scene in which Cinque and his buddy look at a Bible and discuss the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. A very religious Christian friend of mine told me that she thought this was one of the most beautiful scenes about Christ she had ever encountered, and she went so far as to take that scene and show it to her church on Easter. She found it ironic that it was so well done because Spielberg is Jewish.

However, a few years later I heard an African-American professor of history on the radio angrily attack this scene as offensive, because the Mende people are Muslim, were quite aware of Jesus Christ (who is a major figure in Islam), quite aware of Christianity. He said the film presented Cinque and the captured slaves as savages ignorant of western culture, which was quite untrue. Anyhow, I thought these two perspectives of the same scene were interesting. 

Up next: Is it safe? 

25. Marathon Man (1976)

Directed by: John Schlesinger

Starring: Dustin Hoffman, Lawrence Olivier, Roy Scheider, William Devane

Dustin Hoffman and Sir Lawrence Olivier, who came from two very different schools of acting, square off in this wish-fulfillment fantasy by William Goldman. Goldman's hero Babe (Hoffman) doesn't just get to punch Nazis, he gets to hunt one down and kill him...in the end. Goldman deliberately informs us early on in the film that Babe's liberal professor dad was ruined by Joe McCarthy, and that Babe is obsessed with vengeance against the bad guys- and he gets it, eventually.

First, however, he has to witness the death of his brother (Scheider), and then be tortured while strapped to a dentist chair. The dentist scenes are what most people remember about this film, and they should remember them, because they may be the most terrifying moments ever in cinema. But the ending to the film, in which Babe makes Szell eat his diamonds, is at least as satisfying. This is a wonderful suspense film, the best of it's kind, and they simply don't make 'em anymore.

Up next: The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd.

24. Pulp Fiction (1994)

Directed by: Quentin Tarantino

Starring: Samuel L. Jackson, John Travolta, Bruce Willis 

I'm betting most people that are reading this post have seen this fine movie, probably more than once, so there's no need for me to describe the plot here. I'll just comment that I really enjoyed the way each of the 3 stories were told out of order from each other. Acting, scriptwriting, cinematography, character interaction- all superb. Easily one of the best films of the last 30 years. If I were ranking "greatest American films", this one would probably be in my top ten, perhaps top five. But since this is a favorites list, it goes a little below some others that I realize may not be as good films, but which I have a slight preference for. (But not much below.)

The following actors IMO, gave their best performance ever in this film:  Samuel L. Jackson, John Travolta, Uma Thurman, Eric Stoltz, Ving Rhames, Tim Roth, Amanda Plummer....and Christopher Walken. 

Up next: If anything in this life is certain, if history has taught us anything, it is that you can kill anyone.

Someone earlier mentioned 1994 in films. It really was an amazing year: Pulp Fiction, The Shawshank Redemption, Quiz Show, Clerks, Hoop Dreams, The Lion King, The Adventures of Priscilla: Queen of the Desert, Ed Wood, Bullets Over Broadway, True Lies, Natural Born Killers, The Madness of King George....

And the winner for Best Picture was Forrest Gump, which I rank below everyone of the films I just listed...oh well. 

I hated Pulp Fiction so much that, unlike other movies I didn't like the first time, I have never felt it necessary to revisit it to see if I was wrong.

And I like a lot of Tarantino's work.

24. Pulp Fiction (1994)

The following actors IMO, gave their best performance ever in this film:  Samuel L. Jackson, John Travolta, Uma Thurman, Eric Stoltz, Ving Rhames, Tim Roth, Amanda Plummer....and Christopher Walken. 

Up next: If anything in this life is certain, if history has taught us anything, it is that you can kill anyone.
We could quibble with a lot of these ... but dude ... Rocky Dennis!

I hated Pulp Fiction so much that, unlike other movies I didn't like the first time, I have never felt it necessary to revisit it to see if I was wrong.

If you like Tarantino I'm surprised you didn't like this movie - why did you hate it?

24. Pulp Fiction (1994)

Directed by: Quentin Tarantino

Starring: Samuel L. Jackson, John Travolta, Bruce Willis 

I'm betting most people that are reading this post have seen this fine movie, probably more than once, so there's no need for me to describe the plot here. I'll just comment that I really enjoyed the way each of the 3 stories were told out of order from each other. Acting, scriptwriting, cinematography, character interaction- all superb. Easily one of the best films of the last 30 years. If I were ranking "greatest American films", this one would probably be in my top ten, perhaps top five. But since this is a favorites list, it goes a little below some others that I realize may not be as good films, but which I have a slight preference for. (But not much below.)

Way too low.

If you like Tarantino I'm surprised you didn't like this movie - why did you hate it?
It's been so long since I've seen it I don't really remember much of it. I get dark humor but I didn't find it dark or humorous. 

And it just tried sooooo hard to be "cool". Reservoir Dogs is much better.

I hated Pu Fiction so much that, unlike other . movies I didn't like the first time, I have never felt it necessary to revisit it to see if I was wrong.

PF has fallen to #4 of Tarantino movies for me  

Blueberry pancake ##### and casting himself really make it so I have trouble sitting through it without FF now.  

23. The Godfather Part II (1974)

Directed by: Francis Ford Coppola

Starring Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, Diane Keaton, John Cazale

This movie is rightfully considered one of Hollywood's greatest masterpieces, and I imagine that if anything the question will not be why it is on my list, but why isn't higher on my list. Let me explain: first off, #23 is pretty darn high. This is obviously a mesmerizing movie. All of the scenes with Robert De Niro as the young Vito are terrific, particularly when he hunts down Fanucci during the parade; that's a work of artistic filmmaking as good as anything I've ever witnessed. The scenes between Michael and Hyman Roth are great (Roth played by  Lee Strasberg, who was Pacino's acting teacher). The scenes in Cuba are epic and awesome. The whole film is one that I cannot turn away from when it's on TV no matter how many times I've seen it.

And yet...

Just in terms of entertainment value, there is something in the first movie, some element, that is missing in this one. I can't quite put my finger on what that something is. It might be the absence of James Caan, so volatile and colorful in the original film. It could be the absence of Marlon Brando. It might be that both Clemenza and Tessio are more interesting characters than Pentangeli (who at times comes off as an unbelievable caricature). It might be that Sollozo is a more compelling villain than Hyman Roth, or that the interaction between Michael and Kay is more pronounced in the first film (Diane Keaton has very little screen time in this one), or that we get too much of John Cazale in this film. Or that the plot of the first film is simply more interesting, more sharp, more compelling. I don't know. You'll notice that most of my criticisms are on the Michael part of the film, not on the De Niro part which is near perfect. Still, for me, by comparison this film doesn't quite measure up, and that's why it gets #23 and the original is ranked...a lot higher. 

Up next: If the First Amendment will protect a scumbag like me, it will protect all of you.

22. The People vs. Larry Flynt (1996)

Directed by: Milos Forman

Starring: Woody Harrelson, Courtney Love, Edward Norton

Despite the utter sleaziness of the main character (or maybe because of it) this is an extremely entertaining film and a great message about the importance of tackling censorship in a free society. Edward Norton's two courtroom speeches, first in Cincinnati and later before the Supreme Court, are both mesmerizing defenses of the First Amendment, and as good as any courtroom speeches ever produced in Hollywood. 

As for the two starring leads, I'm honestly not sure which is better. Harrelson gives his best and most convincing performance as Flynt, while Courtney Love is simply spectacular as Althea. Both of them are absolutely magnetic personalities on screen, especially during their interactions with each other. (The scene in which Flynt informs Althea that he's not taking drugs anymore, and she responds with disbelief and tries to shove them into his mouth, is just incredible filmmaking and acting.) A wonderful movie. 

Up next: There was a fever over the land. A fever of disgrace, of indignity, of hunger. We had a democracy, yes, but it was torn by elements within. Above all, there was fear. Fear of today, fear of tomorrow, fear of our neighbors, and fear of ourselves. Only when you understand that - can you understand what Hitler meant to us. Because he said to us: 'Lift your heads! Be proud to be German! There are devils among us. Communists, Liberals, Jews, Gypsies! Once these devils will be destroyed, your misery will be destroyed.' It was the old, old story of the sacrificial lamb. What about those of us who knew better? We who knew the words were lies and worse than lies? Why did we sit silent? Why did we take part? Because we loved our country!

Despite the utter sleaziness of the main character (or maybe because of it) this is an extremely entertaining film and a great message about the importance of tackling censorship in a free society. Edward Norton's two courtroom speeches, first in Cincinnati and later before the Supreme Court, are both mesmerizing defenses of the First Amendment, and as good as any courtroom speeches ever produced in Hollywood. 

As for the two starring leads, I'm honestly not sure which is better. Harrelson gives his best and most convincing performance as Flynt, while Courtney Love is simply spectacular as Althea. Both of them are absolutely magnetic personalities on screen, especially during their interactions with each other. (The scene in which Flynt informs Althea that he's not taking drugs anymore, and she responds with disbelief and tries to shove them into his mouth, is just incredible filmmaking and acting.) A wonderful movie. 

Up next: There was a fever over the land. A fever of disgrace, of indignity, of hunger. We had a democracy, yes, but it was torn by elements within. Above all, there was fear. Fear of today, fear of tomorrow, fear of our neighbors, and fear of ourselves. Only when you understand that - can you understand what Hitler meant to us. Because he said to us: 'Lift your heads! Be proud to be German! There are devils among us. Communists, Liberals, Jews, Gypsies! Once these devils will be destroyed, your misery will be destroyed.' It was the old, old story of the sacrificial lamb. What about those of us who knew better? We who knew the words were lies and worse than lies? Why did we sit silent? Why did we take part? Because we loved our country!
C'mon man. 22??? A good movie , maybe 6.5-7 but 22?I don't even think Milos Foreman's father has this in his top 25

Last edited by a moderator:
21. Judgment at Nuremberg (1961)

Directed by: Stanley Kramer

Starring: Spencer Tracy, Burt Lancaster, Maximilian Schell, Marlene Dietrich

During the 1960s, Spencer Tracy collaborated with directed Stanley Kramer to make 4 films, all considered to be Hollywood classics. I have chosen 3 of these films for my list, and all of them are pretty highly ranked. (The 4th film, It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, is a classic ensemble comedy that I am extremely fond of but which did not quite make my top 100.)

Judgment at Nuremberg, based on an earlier TV film by Abbey Mann, discusses the question of guilt behind the Nazi war crimes and in particular the guilt of those decent, intelligent Germans who knew better but went along anyhow, out of misguided patriotism or a belief that the ends justify the means. It's a brilliant, fascinating movie, in which a sense of universal morality is deeply challenged yet ultimately defended.

Everyone in the all star cast is terrific. Schell won Best Actor, richly deserved. Both Montgomery Clift (shortly before his death "Hey! Where did I see this guy?") and Judy Garland may have given their greatest acting performances, which is truly saying something. The same can be said, perhaps, of Lancaster, Dietrich, and Richard Widmark. And there's also an unknown William Shatner in a small but noticeable role. This is a long movie, but it's available on youtube in it's entirety.

Up next: I still can't get over the fact that hours ago I was in an Egyptian tomb. I didn't know any of you wonderful people, and here I am now! I'm on the verge of a madcap Manhattan weekend!

20. The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985)

Directed by: Woody Allen

Starring: Mia Farrow, Jeff Daniels, Danny Aiello

My top 20 countdown of favorite films begins with this delightful little movie by Woody Allen, one of those that he directed and wrote but does not appear in. The conceit behind the film is simple yet brilliant- the star of a movie steps off screen determined to find out what real life is like. But the story really isn't about heroic Tom Baxter (Jeff Daniels) or his magical ability to jump from screen to reality, it's about Mia Farrow, living in the Great Depression, and her escape into the fantasy of motion pictures.

And in a larger sense, the film is a critique of American society in general, specifically our desire to escape reality through movies or television or some form of entertainment. Towards the end of the film Farrow is forced to make the choice between reality and fantasy, and chooses reality because she hopes that her life will get better- only to have her dreams cruelly dashed yet again. However, in the final moments she again visits the movie theater, sees Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers dancing, and despite everything is captured by the fantasy yet again. Incredible movie, one of Allen's best, one of the best from the decade of the 1980s, period IMO.

Up next: In a child's power to master the multiplication table, there is more sanctity than in all your shouted "amens" and "holy holies" and "hosannas." An idea is a greater monument than a cathedral. And the advance of man's knowledge is a greater miracle than all the sticks turned to snakes or the parting of the waters.

To be fair, weren't you just defending Suicide Squad, that terrible Joker, and saying Ledger was way overrated?  ;)
I don't think I said "way" overrated.  But he was overrated - not because he wasn't good but because the talk was that it was the greatest thing ever since the word great was invented. 

Tim I implore you to leave the Trumpites alone in their thread. You're not making headway and I'm much more interested in what they say to each other.

Putting this movie ahead of GF2 is the worst thing ever.

Putting this movie ahead of GF2 is the worst thing ever.
People seem to really have a problem with this. Oh well.

By all measurements except one, The Godfather Part II is a vastly superior movie to The People vs. Larry Flynt. That one measurement, however, is entertainment value to timschochet, and it is the ONLY measure that counts in my ranking.

People seem to really have a problem with this. Oh well.

By all measurements except one, The Godfather Part II is a vastly superior movie to The People vs. Larry Flynt. That one measurement, however, is entertainment value to timschochet, and it is the ONLY measure that counts in my ranking.
Well the same was true of the presidents and constitutional amendments, carry on.

Users who are viewing this thread