What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Wire Characters (1 Viewer)

Who were your favorite 3 "bad guys"

• Omar

Votes: 110 90.2%
  • Bodie

Votes: 37 30.3%
  • Avon Barksdale

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • Stringer Bell

Votes: 68 55.7%
  • Marlo Stanfield

Votes: 18 14.8%
  • Chris (Zombie Master)

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • Slim Charles

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Snoop

Votes: 22 18.0%
  • Proposition Joe

Votes: 38 31.1%
  • Wee-Bey

Votes: 10 8.2%
  • D'Angelo Barksdale

Votes: 6 4.9%
  • Vondas (Spiros - The Greek's guy)

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • The Greek

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Clay Davis

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • Maury Levy (bad guy lawyer)

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters

Drifter

Footballguy
Seemed appropriate with HBO doing the maraton this weekend. If motivated, I will take do a follow up poll with the leaders from these two.

I hold the unpopular opinion that The Wire was a good show that was smartly written, but falls far behind many other shows in terms of pure entertainment value.

voted omar

Very hard to pick only three. They're all amazing in their own ways.

"Good"

Went Bunny (the most heroic character in the series), Cool Lester Smooth (natural po-lice), and The Bunk. Really really wanted to put Rawls in the top 3 though. Always appreciated his competent hardassness. But he can't overtake those three.

"Bad"

Omar is 1.01, Clay Davis is awesome in a totally slimy way (sheeeeeeeeeeeee....), and third I'll go Stringer just for how different he was compared to everyone else in the Barksdale crew.

But I feel bad leaving out Bodie, Wee-Bey (particularly Prison Father Wee-Bey vs Barksdale Muscle Wee-Bey) and Levy (maybe the baddest bad guy on the show).

Just a murderers row of characters.

Bunny Colvin is my top choice as good guy (other than Omar). Choosing the other two was tough, as I could take any two out of Cutty, Bunk, Prez, Carver and Bubbles. Settled on Bubbles and Prez as my other two but that could change tomorrow.

For bad guys, I chose Omar, Stringer Bell and Snoop. Easier choice for me there, though there are other great ones on the list, esp. Prop Joe. Could maybe swap Snoop out for him.

Also, I don't want to live in a world where Omar is on a "bad guys" list and Carcetti is on a "good guys" list.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bunny Colvin is my top choice as good guy (other than Omar). Choosing the other two was tough, as I could take any two out of Cutty, Bunk, Prez, Carver and Bubbles. Settled on Bubbles and Prez as my other two but that could change tomorrow.

For bad guys, I chose Omar, Stringer Bell and Snoop. Easier choice for me there, though there are other great ones on the list, esp. Prop Joe. Could maybe swap Snoop out for him.

Also, I don't want to live in a world where Omar is on a "bad guys" list and Carcetti is on a "good guys" list.
Went with the surface definitions of each. The show is about the morality of the gray areas so "good guy" and "bad guy" are really a struggle for just about every character but a few.

Went with the surface definitions of each. The show is about the morality of the gray areas so "good guy" and "bad guy" are really a struggle for just about every character but a few.
No doubt, especially as there were several characters who evolved into one direction or the other. Bodie is a good example of that, and should have been in consideration for my "bad guys" list.

Were you limited in how many choices you could give? I think you left out everyone in Season 2. Frank Sobotka would easily make my top three.

Also from later seasons, Randy was an interesting character to watch.

No doubt, especially as there were several characters who evolved into one direction or the other. Bodie is a good example of that, and should have been in consideration for my "bad guys" list.

Were you limited in how many choices you could give? I think you left out everyone in Season 2. Frank Sobotka would easily make my top three.

Also from later seasons, Randy was an interesting character to watch.
Yes - 15 choices.

Left off - Assistant DA, Sobotka, Valchek, Cheese. We-Bey's wife, Avon's sister, ####### black cop, ####### Major Crimes killer Lieutenant and all of the S4 kids.

Good guys I went Bunk, McNulty, Bubbles. I know Colvin was the goodest good guy, but I didn't love the character quite as much (good as it was). Lester and Cutty are 4 & 5 but if you ask me tomorrow they could be 1 and 2. In fact I already want to swap out Bubs for Lester.

Bad guys are a bit easier -- Omar and String are a clear 1-2 with Prop Joe 3rd, and Bodie a close 4th. And then a big drop-off to whoever 5 would be.

Got into a conversation with a doctor at a Christmas party last week who went to John Hopkins, and he used to walk through the neighborhoods from this series. Consensus view was Omar is the greatest character ever written for the small screen.

I'm surprised at the love for McNulty and Bunk. Bunk never developed at all as a character - not one bit and McNulty's giant transformation was flat and unbelievable. On a show with such amazing character depth and development, I thought these two were pretty weak despite their huge strength out of the gate.

I'm surprised at the love for McNulty and Bunk. Bunk never developed at all as a character - not one bit and McNulty's giant transformation was flat and unbelievable. On a show with such amazing character depth and development, I thought these two were pretty weak despite their huge strength out of the gate.
Bunk is probably the 2nd or 3rd most popular character on the show after Omar.

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=482663

He was #3 in this poll but pretty close to Stringer for 2nd and just ahead of Bubbles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bunk is probably the 2nd most popular character on the show after Omar.
Obviously from the poll. He also was given less depth and developed less than almost any other major character on the show.

I never understand the McNulty love. Poorly written and acted character, IMO.

I went: Lester, Bunk, and Bubbles on the good guys side, Omar, Stringer, and Bodie on the bad guys side.

Bubs is my favorite, but Lester might be the best character. Extra points for Peters going on to be the big chief.

Omar's great and all, but the least believable of the bunch.

Show still makes me want to drink.

This is like a parent picking their favorite child

Bubbles

Bunny

Bunk

Omar

Prop Joe

Slim Charles

Bunk over Lester was a tough decision. I :wub: Slim Charles but don't have a good reason why.

At first I didn't like Marlow. He seemed like too much of a calm, and not outspoken leader. However, by the end there were all of the characteristics that made him the great character that he was. He was the opposite of a guy like Avon Barksdale.

The final scene was one of the greatest final scenes in a series imo.

Omar

Bunk

Bunny

Lester

Kima was my 4th. Good police.

Omar

Wee-Bey cracks me up for a psycho

Deangelo

Prop Joe was probably fourth

Bunk

Bubbles

Carver

* By the time season 5 rolls around, I hate the Mcnulty character.

Omar

Stringer

Prop Joe (if nothing else, I like when he makes calls doing his white guy impression)

In an interview we asked a candidate a few weeks ago who his favorite Wire character was other than Omar. His answer was Michael: he said he respected him standing up to marlo initially and his ambition/taking care of his family. Discuss whether we should hire him.

Users who are viewing this thread