What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFA Official Horror Movie Thread (1 Viewer)

We watched Alone. It was PPV, but wow, was it worth it. This was one of those smart movies that just went against all the normal mistakes people make in horror movies. My whole family really liked this one.  

78/52 Hitchcock’s Shower Scene

I put this in the documentary thread as well, but I am sure some of you would be interested in this too (they actually reference Peeping Tom in it). This documentary takes you through the infamous shower scene and the marvel that is Hitchcock. It is fascinating. 4/5

Hi I'm new here.  Wife and I used to watch movies all the time but with so much great TV we really haven't for the past 5+ years.  What are the best horror/psychological thrillers from the past 5-10 years?

We watched Alone. It was PPV, but wow, was it worth it. This was one of those smart movies that just went against all the normal mistakes people make in horror movies. My whole family really liked this one.  
Which Alone is this?  The one about the woman trapped in the wilderness or the one about the guy barricaded in his apartment? Or the one with the blind woman?  Man, there's a lot of movies with this title out this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which Alone is this?  The one about the woman trapped in the wilderness or the one about the guy barricaded in his apartment? Or the one with the blind woman?  Man, there's a lot of movies with this title out this year.
Hey you can watch an Alone trilogy. When I searched apartment Alone came up first but I assume Cj is talking about wilderness Alone. 

It is the wilderness one of Alone. Really liked this movie.

I also watched the #Alone one this week as well. IMO that whole movie was taken from a short story in World War Z the book. I am sucker for zombie flicks but I really didn't care for this one. 

It is the wilderness one of Alone. Really liked this movie.

I also watched the #Alone one this week as well. IMO that whole movie was taken from a short story in World War Z the book. I am sucker for zombie flicks but I really didn't care for this one. 
I thought some of the sequences were cool and they did a decent job with the f/x, but I really did not like being with that kid for the whole movie.  I thought it was decent enough though.  

The Changeling

This is the 1979/1980 Changeling movie with George C. Scott. Taking this movie in with knowledge that it was unique at the time made it very enjoyable to watch. Watching Eli Roth’s History of Horror the other day inspired me to finally see it. Some parts seemed like it was a victim of questionable editing, but a cool ghost story overall. 4/5

The Changeling

This is the 1979/1980 Changeling movie with George C. Scott. Taking this movie in with knowledge that it was unique at the time made it very enjoyable to watch. Watching Eli Roth’s History of Horror the other day inspired me to finally see it. Some parts seemed like it was a victim of questionable editing, but a cool ghost story overall. 4/5
Yes that was a fun flick. I remember seeing it at the theaters when it first came out.

I watched The Mortuary Collection on Shudder last night. It was a pretty creepy with some good gore. Great Halloween flick.

Hi I'm new here.  Wife and I used to watch movies all the time but with so much great TV we really haven't for the past 5+ years.  What are the best horror/psychological thrillers from the past 5-10 years?
I am not at all a horror expert but some of the ones I've liked:

Get Out, Us, Hereditary, Cabin in the Woods and The Witch. 

Gerald's Game (Netflix) and the Babadook along with the Get Out/Us Jordan Peele double feature previously mentioned. 

Ilov80s said:

I keep looking at The Witch and hesitate because many say it's really boring. 

Ilov80s said:

I don't like the 1st two like the masses do, but they for sure should be watched.  Love the others, The Babadook, It Follows, and The Conjuring also popped into my head right away.  

I keep looking at The Witch and hesitate because many say it's really boring. 
I guess it depends on what you like. If you like a movie with a bunch of jump scares it doesn’t have that. But it does a great job creating a sense of dread that builds to a  very disturbing climax. If you like movies like that then you will probably like it. The acting is top notch, especially Anya Taylor-Joy. And the twins are creepy as hell!

I will say the first time I watched it I found the accents very distracting and hard to understand and did not really like it. I decided to give it another shot and the second time I watched it I  did like it. The third time I watched it I loved it.

my 2 cents

I guess it depends on what you like. If you like a movie with a bunch of jump scares it doesn’t have that. But it does a great job creating a sense of dread that builds to a  very disturbing climax. If you like movies like that then you will probably like it. The acting is top notch, especially Anya Taylor-Joy. And the twins are creepy as hell!

I will say the first time I watched it I found the accents very distracting and hard to understand and did not really like it. I decided to give it another shot and the second time I watched it I  did like it. The third time I watched it I loved it.

my 2 cents
Thanks!

I do prefer atmospheric horror over jump scares. I'll save this for Halloween night. :thumbup:  

eta: although I rarely watch movies more than once, so your reply might make me rethink it.

Ones that I don’t think have been mentioned yet that I really like. Some of these bleed into (pun intended) the psychological horror/thriller genre but are great. In no particular order...

Black Swan 

Bone Tomahawk

Don't Breathe

You're Next
Hush

As Above, So Below

The Last Exorcism

The Ritual

The Autopsy of Jane Doe

The Girl with All the Gifts

I did not know Francis Ford Coppola wrote and directed an early 60s horror movie for Roger Corman called Dimentia 13. It is an attempt to catch the hype of Psycho and isn't very good, but it was intersting. 

I did not know Francis Ford Coppola wrote and directed an early 60s horror movie for Roger Corman called Dimentia 13. It is an attempt to catch the hype of Psycho and isn't very good, but it was intersting. 
I caught this on TCM on Friday.  Glad I saw it but not great.  No need to watch unless you want to check out pre-Godfather Coppola (as I did).

Same guy who made Hereditary but I did not like Midsommar. It was cool having a bright, colorful setting for the horror film but it just didn't work for me. 
Agree here.  Hereditary was a home run for me.   Maybe I was expecting more of that, and that's what the first 20mins or so of Midsommar brought, but besides that it wasn't that tense at all, just weird and gross.  There was also a shot of something when they get to the village that showed you what was going to happen, and I thought that took the edge off the movie for me.  

That said it was still a fantastically made movie, and he (along with Robert Eggers) have earned my trust enough to watch whatever they put out now.  

Watched The House on Pine Street on Prime video. A psychological horror about a young woman coping with an unwanted pregnancy after moving into a seemingly haunted house.

It had some good parts and some not so good parts. Worth a watch if you like that genre. Kind of a mystery about what was actually going on, and I liked that aspect of it.

6/10
Just watched it. Meh 2.5/5

Wife had never seen Scream.. So hard to NOT give it away as she's over there saying.. " he has to be guilty... No, must be him.. Wait maybe him... " :lol:  

It had been many years since I've seen the original and it holds up well. 

Yep.  What are you confused about?

Was there some sort of connection with the dead wife and the witch?  Her ray of sunshine song was playing in the car going to the next morgue at the end.

When they were cutting open head and saw her brain was still alive, why not just cut her head off?  Feel bad for her?  She just tried (multiple times) to kill them.

Jane Doe needs some sun.

Followed

Found footage film about an innerwebs sensation trying to get more followers by checking out a haunted hotel in LA. I don’t want to ruin the plot for anyone so I’ll just say you can probably figure it out without even watching it. 2.5/5

Safari

Found footage film about group of idiots who get lost on safari after their truck breaks down. Admittedly, I was rooting for the hyenas and lions. 3/5

For fans of Hell House LLC, amazon prime now has “The director’s  cut”. Haven’t watched it yet but found this blurb about it

Hell House LLC has become one of the most popular found footage horror films in the last decade, spawning 2 sequels – revered by both horror critics and fans alike. Now, for the first time on digital platforms, creator Stephen Cognetti presents his Director’s Cut. This special edition includes new footage in the infamous basement, 8 additional minutes of footage plus a Director Intro, Deleted Scenes, Cast Auditions, a Location Scout of The Abaddon Hotel and Outtakes.

I am a big fan of the movie and stumbled upon this.

If you are looking for a little Christmas horror, I really like Krampus (2015 starring Adam Scott). PG-13 fun dripping with holiday decor and some great set pieces/atmosphere. 

Pooka (hulu) is a Blumhouse take on holiday horror. Harmless fun that goes down easy on a late November night. I think they made a sequel, but I haven't watched it. 

I watched Leap of Faith: William Friedkin on the Exorcist. It is on Shudder if anyone is interested. An interesting look at some behind the scenes stuff regarding the Exorcist movie. I dd enjoy it but I felt it got a little slow at the end.

Users who are viewing this thread