What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFA Official Horror Movie Thread (3 Viewers)

XX

Interesting anthology of horror shorts. I didn’t get the first one at all, but I like the other three. 3.5/5

I need to lay off the edibles - it makes me gravitate to some cheesy movies.  The other night it was Nightbreed, last night I watched Maniac Cop.  :lol:  
I don't really see the problem here. Joe Bobs Drive in was made for edibles. I highly recommend it.

I don't really see the problem here. Joe Bobs Drive in was made for edibles. I highly recommend it.
Might have to check that out.  I have realized that I scare easier while high, so I think I chicken out and watch rubbish.  Since I have been partaking I have been watching a lot more cheesy horror movies and rom coms.  

Might have to check that out.  I have realized that I scare easier while high, so I think I chicken out and watch rubbish.  Since I have been partaking I have been watching a lot more cheesy horror movies and rom coms.  
I have been going through all of Joe Bob's stuff on Shudder. It is fun and something you can watch and stop and pick right back up the next day. He has some good guests and interesting trivia that he shares intermittently during the movie. Some of it is pretty interesting. All of it is entertaining. I watched season 2 first, I am now on Society in season 1.

Wildling

Movie about a girl who is thought to have been abducted. She is freed when her “dad” tries to kill her and himself. She’s definitely feral and it comes out in stages. Not bad overall. 3.5/5

The Invitation

It’s a story about an ex-husband invited to a dinner party where friends get together after a long time apart. It’s a slow burn about cult beliefs and their ultimate result. The ending seems fitting for 2020 imo. 3/5

The Invitation

It’s a story about an ex-husband invited to a dinner party where friends get together after a long time apart. It’s a slow burn about cult beliefs and their ultimate result. The ending seems fitting for 2020 imo. 3/5
I watched this sometime last year I think.  I went in with WAY too high of expectations based on some recommendations.  Definitely a slow burn, which I'm normally OK with, but this one just didn't grab me for some reason. Not terrible, but I'd lean more 2/5.

The Invitation

Good flick..available on Netflix 

i only occassionaly smoke, but last time i did and somehow stumbled on watching Herditary. Highly advise not watching that movie high. 

Possession

Has anyone else seen this movie with Sam Neill from 1981. It’s weird af if you just take the plot for what it is, but the underlying themes are interesting imo. 3/5

Possession

Has anyone else seen this movie with Sam Neill from 1981. It’s weird af if you just take the plot for what it is, but the underlying themes are interesting imo. 3/5
have had it on my watch list for some time but it seems to be one of those movies that is never streaming

Last edited by a moderator:
Big John Carpenter fan but just recently watched Prince of Darkness for the first time. Classic John Carpenter..which means it is great!

A mysterious cylinder containing a swirling green liquid is found in a church basement and the priest (Donald Pleasence - who else?)  gets a physicist and his students to investigate...supernatural events ensue. Victor Wong (Egg from Big Trouble in Little China) is great in it and Alice Cooper has a smaller but noteable part.

The only thing that would have made this better is an appearance by Kurt Russell.

7.8/10

Big John Carpenter fan but just recently watched Prince of Darkness for the first time. Classic John Carpenter..which means it is great!

A mysterious cylinder containing a swirling green liquid is found in a church basement and the priest (Donald Pleasence - who else?)  gets a physicist and his students to investigate...supernatural events ensue. Victor Wong (Egg from Big Trouble in Little China) is great in it and Alice Cooper has a smaller but noteable part.

The only thing that would have made this better is an appearance by Kurt Russell.

7.8/10
I remember that one! No Kurt Russell but it did have one of the brothers from Simon & Simon. Cool ending IIRC, but can't remember whether he actually touched the mirror or if it cut to black right before his fingertips reached it. I do remember thinking it was the most John Carpenter'y music of all John Carpenter's movies (and that's really saying something). 😀

7.8/10
The scene I love is when Dennis Dun (also from Big Trouble in Little China) is trapped in the room next to the rest of the group and he starts just breaking through the drywall. I often thought about if I were ever trapped in a room with zombies waiting outside the door, this is exactly what I would do.  

The scene I love is when Dennis Dun (also from Big Trouble in Little China) is trapped in the room next to the rest of the group and he starts just breaking through the drywall. I often thought about if I were ever trapped in a room with zombies waiting outside the door, this is exactly what I would do.  
:lol:  great scene

Been watching a lot of zombie movies lately and remembering how much I love them when done well.  This week I have seen:

The Girl with all the Gifts, #Alive, One Cut of the Dead, and Train to Bussan

I think of them, #Alive was my least favorite, but it was still a fun movie with some nasty scenes.  It was just more of a straight forward zombie movie vs. the others that have a little something different.  One Cut of the Dead is one of my favorite movies I have seen recently.  I am glad I stuck it out past the first 25mins or so, and I plan to watch that one again this week.  

Been watching a lot of zombie movies lately and remembering how much I love them when done well.  This week I have seen:

The Girl with all the Gifts, #Alive, One Cut of the Dead, and Train to Bussan

I think of them, #Alive was my least favorite, but it was still a fun movie with some nasty scenes.  It was just more of a straight forward zombie movie vs. the others that have a little something different.  One Cut of the Dead is one of my favorite movies I have seen recently.  I am glad I stuck it out past the first 25mins or so, and I plan to watch that one again this week.  
I to liked One Cut of the Dead quite a bit. If you watch it again I would suggest watching it on season two of Joe Bobs Last Drive In. He had some pretty cool behind the scenes and trivia stuff on it.

Have you watched the prequel to Train to Busan. At least I think its a prequel, I have not watched it yet. It is also on Shudder and is animated.

I to liked One Cut of the Dead quite a bit. If you watch it again I would suggest watching it on season two of Joe Bobs Last Drive In. He had some pretty cool behind the scenes and trivia stuff on it.

Have you watched the prequel to Train to Busan. At least I think its a prequel, I have not watched it yet. It is also on Shudder and is animated.
I have not seen the other one (I also think it's a prequel), but it's in my queue.   I had seen Bussan before, but had to watch again.  The ending with the girl singing hits me hard.  :cry:

Thanks for the heads up on the bolded.  

Anyone see Dread (2009)? Saw it on one of those “10 horror movies you haven’t seen” type lists. Looks pretty good and is on prime video.

Another one on the list was Absentia (2011). I have seen this and it is very solid. Also on prime video. 

Anyone see Dread (2009)? Saw it on one of those “10 horror movies you haven’t seen” type lists. Looks pretty good and is on prime video.

Another one on the list was Absentia (2011). I have seen this and it is very solid. Also on prime video. 
I liked Absentia. It was interesting. Haven't seen Dread, but I will soon.

7.8/10
Boy this brings back memories, have to go back to this one. Alice Cooper and liquid evil!

Speaking of Kurt, watched Carpenter's The Thing last night, and I think it's a top 3ish sci-fi horror for me. The only one in this genre I may like better is the original Alien. I usually watch both at least once a year. Also love the '78 version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, which I think is a masterpiece of paranoia. 

Anyone else with trouble getting on Shudder? I have uninstalled and reinstalled but this has not helped. I get an error message telling me to check my connection every time I try to use it. I have sent an email to them but they have a really bad reputation for customer service. Its frustrating

I read they had an update. I do not see any where on the app to install an update. I am using an Amazon smart tv but I bought Shudder directly from Shudder. I have had Shudder through Amazon in the past and it was not good which is why I went directly through Shudder.

Anyone else with trouble getting on Shudder? I have uninstalled and reinstalled but this has not helped. I get an error message telling me to check my connection every time I try to use it. I have sent an email to them but they have a really bad reputation for customer service. Its frustrating

I read they had an update. I do not see any where on the app to install an update. I am using an Amazon smart tv but I bought Shudder directly from Shudder. I have had Shudder through Amazon in the past and it was not good which is why I went directly through Shudder.
I have the App on my Sony smart TV and am having no problems at all. 

Freaks

Its kind of an X-Men Origins meets Firestarter movie. I’d say it’s sci-fi too. Interesting overall with a cast I’ve actually heard of. 3.5/5

I remember that one! No Kurt Russell but it did have one of the brothers from Simon & Simon. Cool ending IIRC, but can't remember whether he actually touched the mirror or if it cut to black right before his fingertips reached it. I do remember thinking it was the most John Carpenter'y music of all John Carpenter's movies (and that's really saying something). 😀
Gerald McRaney (Major Dad) or Jameson Parker?  I don't think I have ever seen the latter in anything since S&S.  Loved that show.  

Gerald McRaney (Major Dad) or Jameson Parker?  I don't think I have ever seen the latter in anything since S&S.  Loved that show.  

Hounds of Love

It’s the story of a young girl and her torturous captors in western Australia. Lots of suggested serial killing throughout. Definitely a messed up movie with lots of psychological trauma and physical brutality. It’s pretty disturbing imo (not like Martyrs though). 3.75/5

ETA: I bumped the score because it ends with one of my favorite Joy Division songs, Atmosphere, playing.

I know some of you in here try to watch a bunch of horror movies in October and don't do the movie club thing.   How about we each suggest a horror movie double feature that is available on a streaming service for others to watch? 

I will post one in here, and I am also going to dig through tonight to think of one for the movie club as well.  

Hounds of Love

It’s the story of a young girl and her torturous captors in western Australia. Lots of suggested serial killing throughout. Definitely a messed up movie with lots of psychological trauma and physical brutality. It’s pretty disturbing imo (not like Martyrs though). 3.75/5

ETA: I bumped the score because it ends with one of my favorite Joy Division songs, Atmosphere, playing.
Not suggested. While the movie played with some of the facts it was based on real life serial killers. Very disturbing stuff

I still can't get in and no response from Shudder. I am having withdrawals.

The Hunt

Finally got around to seeing this one. Admittedly, I thought the first half of the movie was hilarious. It kind of has a Cabin in the Woods feel to it. The second half of the movie is meh and somewhat predictable. 3/5

Kicked off my October of Horror last night with Cabin in the Woods.  Never gets old.  

I also watched The Battery - another zombie movie.   Good ideas, but it was meh for me.   Maybe just a little too low budget?   I liked After Midnight more.

Wasn't there one or two of you guys that tried the 31 horror movies in Oct?  Just curious what people have lined up for the season this year.  

First up last night was Hell House, LLC.  I was not 100% on board until about the hour mark, which I thought was better than the ending.  F those clowns.   This one was effective.  Are the others worth while?

After that I watched Scare Me.   It was on Shudder.    Just OK - I thought it would be more of an anthology with the premise of them telling scary stories, but it didn't turn out that way.  Cool idea, but not one that I would say fire up right away.  

Probably try to knock another out tonight.  

I went with The Masque of the Red Death last night. I love Roger Corman movies and Shudder put a bunch up this month. 

I followed that up with Maniac which I found to be lacking.

Wasn't there one or two of you guys that tried the 31 horror movies in Oct?  Just curious what people have lined up for the season this year.  

First up last night was Hell House, LLC.  I was not 100% on board until about the hour mark, which I thought was better than the ending.  F those clowns.   This one was effective.  Are the others worth while?

After that I watched Scare Me.   It was on Shudder.    Just OK - I thought it would be more of an anthology with the premise of them telling scary stories, but it didn't turn out that way.  Cool idea, but not one that I would say fire up right away.  

Probably try to knock another out tonight.  
Hell House, LLC.  was pretty freaky I thought

Watched The House on Pine Street on Prime video. A psychological horror about a young woman coping with an unwanted pregnancy after moving into a seemingly haunted house.

It had some good parts and some not so good parts. Worth a watch if you like that genre. Kind of a mystery about what was actually going on, and I liked that aspect of it.

6/10

Users who are viewing this thread