What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFA Official Horror Movie Thread (4 Viewers)

Howl 

This one is on Shudder and it was pretty fun.   Basic premise - train get stuck on the tracks, and there is a werewolf outside.   Pretty simple, but effective and claustrophobic.  A bit low budget, but you can do worse than this one.   

After talking with the wife last night as dinner, I think I am still going to keep the pace, but when she is watching I might start on stuff I've seen that I think she will like as well.   We talked about The Orphanage, Let the Right One In, and a few others.  I am down to watch those at any time.  Halloween night will probably be the usual Cabin in the Woods viewing, especially since I just recently watched Trick R Treat.  

So as far as Halloween Kills. I thought it was very good. You can tell it is made for the fans by looking at the discrepancy from the Rotten Tomatoes critics vs fan reviews.

I don't feel I am giving much away by saying this new trilogy just basically builds off the original Halloween and a little of Halloween 2  and then just ignores any of the other Halloween timelines. 

This was easily the most brutal and violent Halloween movie of them all. Very high body count and gore.. 

I love the old characters being inserted in the movie. I love the Easter eggs from other Halloween movies (like  the Silver Shamrock masks from Halloween 3).

The only complaint I have is this is 2021 and horror fans expect movies to be smarter as far as the victims. In the 1970's and 80's you had potential victims doing things like "Let's split up." or "Let's go into that dark room alone," and that was the norm. Today's movies show potential victims fighting back and being more clever in how they approach being attacked. Not in this movie, there were just too many moments of me screaming at the tv saying "What are you thinking? Don't do that!!" Maybe this was on purpose to make it feel more old school--who knows? 

10/15 - Halloween (2018)
As I mentioned, I cheated a little tonight as I did see this when it came out in theaters three years ago.  I remembered a good portion of it, but I still couldn't stop watching it.  It brought the same tension and dread that the original had in spades and the use of silence was very good.  This is my favorite horror series, so there may be some rose-colored glasses here but I think this is the best since the original. 4.25/5

10/16 - Halloween Kills
I went into this with high hopes given how good the first of the trilogy was and was somewhat disappointed.  It did it's job to set up the final film but it didn't have the same feel as the 2018 movie.  I barely felt any sense of dread or the tension of an unstoppable killer coming after you.  I won't go further into this to avoid spoilers, but this felt like a movie simply to move the story forward.  3/5
Agree with your takes 100%

I am a bonafide Halloween super fan. It is my favorite horror movie of all time (1978 Halloween) and there are some great sequels. Halloween 2018 is a gem. We watched it again last night before we watched Halloween Kills for the 2nd time in as many nights and quite frankly after you watch Halloween Kills a second time.....I am sure you will lower your rating a little more (or not). It had some great elements and nods to past films.....but it really did not live up to it’s predecessor and it did feel like a middle child. I do not want to get into too much detail either until more see it.

My sequel rankings because Halloween is #1 of course and in a league of it’s own.

1. Halloween 2018

2. Halloween II

3. Halloween IV The Return of Michael Meyers

4. Halloween Zombie Reboot

5. Halloween Kills

6. Halloween H2O 20 Years Later

7. Halloween V The Revenge of Michael Meyers

8. Halloween VI The Curse of Michael Meyers Producers Cut

9. Halloween Resurrection 

10. Halloween II Rob Zombie (Pure ####e)

I am glad I did not know Halloween Kills was part 2 of a trilogy before I saw it.  Wife actually preferred it to 2018, which blew my mind as I found it not measuring up.  She may have been affected by seeing someone from Real Housewives in the 2nd movie.  

we watched our DVD of The Changeling this weekend..    always creepy haunted house/ mystery late 70's movie with George C Scott..   has things that go 'bump' in the night, a creepy seance, a cobweb filled secret room, and a bouncing ball scene that will make the hair on the back of your neck stand up :thumbup:

Watched Halloween Kills over the weekend.  Went in not knowing it would be a trilogy to start, so I was trying to see how they would actually kill Michael.  After the Big John/Little John scenes I paused it to try and figure out how I knew Big John (he was Jimmy on The Mick), and then I tried to see if I knew Allyson from anything.  Looking at her I saw that she is also in "Halloween Ends" next year, which made the ending very predicable. 

We watched Burnt Offerings last night as it was on TCM......god I love the creep factor in this one. It never get’s old. Just a great, well made gothic horror movie. Karen Black’s signature role.

This is like the third mention of this in here lately, so I need to definitely watch.  Book scared the crap out of me.

10/17 - Saint Maud
A British psychological horror movie about a nurse who takes on a terminal patient.  There are themes of religion, rebellion, and hedonism and this is way too smart of a movie for me.  I think it's a bit of descent into madness and religious fervor, but honestly not sure.  I need to win the Wikipedia article to see if I just missed something, but it just wasn't for me. 2.5/5

10/18 - Caveat
This is an Irish horror film that uses amnesia and flashbacks to tell a haunting story.  If you plan on watching it, it's best to go in completely blind.  It's a mind bender but pretty well sums everything up during the final third of the movie.  It's not a popcorn flick by any means, but is very atmospheric and is an interesting watch.  3.25/5

we watched our DVD of The Changeling this weekend..    always creepy haunted house/ mystery late 70's movie with George C Scott..   has things that go 'bump' in the night, a creepy seance, a cobweb filled secret room, and a bouncing ball scene that will make the hair on the back of your neck stand up :thumbup:
Another excellent classic gothic horror film. George C Scott was outstanding in this one. 

Quicker pace the last couple days, so I am ahead of schedule.   The last 2 nights I watched Southbound, The Changeling, and old school The Mummy.     

Earlier I had mentioned how I was not sure how I missed Halloween 2018. I put it on last night and realized I had seen it. It was a fun rewatch as I remembered seeing but couldn't tell you what was going to happen next. I believe I liked it more this time around.

Looking forward to Halloween kills.

I watched The Wailing this week and really liked it. Incredible genre mashing. What did you think?

Train to Busan is on my list to watch before Halloween.
No surprise,but I didn't get to that one.  

I'll be interested in your take on Train to Busan. 

10/17 - Saint Maud
A British psychological horror movie about a nurse who takes on a terminal patient.  There are themes of religion, rebellion, and hedonism and this is way too smart of a movie for me.  I think it's a bit of descent into madness and religious fervor, but honestly not sure.  I need to win the Wikipedia article to see if I just missed something, but it just wasn't for me. 2.5/5

You pretty much nailed it, but I'd maybe bump it up to 3, 3.5 based on the atmosphere which I enjoyed, and that one last shot which I thought was awesome. 

Dude, you had 4 years to watch it  ;)  

Seriously though, really good. It's like Exorcist meets The Walking Dead meets Outbreak meets Memories of Murder. 

Dude, you had 4 years to watch it  ;)  

Seriously though, really good. It's like Exorcist meets The Walking Dead meets Outbreak meets Memories of Murder. 
Lol.  I didn't see the date on that quote.  :bag:  

To be fair, I haven't gotten around to many movies I have said are at the top of my list.   I hit the vape and end up watching Breaking Bad or some other stuff I've seen a bunch already.  

10/19 - Mama
I didn't know this was a Guillermo del Toro movie before I started it, but the creature design and movements have his fingerprints all over it.  It's a story of loss, love, and family.  It had some decent jump scares and I liked the pacing of it.  I liked it more than I thought I would and found my self immersed in the story and trying to figure out how it was going to end.  3.75/5

10/19 - Mama
I didn't know this was a Guillermo del Toro movie before I started it, but the creature design and movements have his fingerprints all over it.  It's a story of loss, love, and family.  It had some decent jump scares and I liked the pacing of it.  I liked it more than I thought I would and found my self immersed in the story and trying to figure out how it was going to end.  3.75/5
@Titans_fan - he is just the Executive Producer for the movie, didn't write or direct it.   If I remember right, they plastered his name all over the marketing though.  

I remember liking it a bit up until the end, when the cgi took over.   

@Titans_fan - he is just the Executive Producer for the movie, didn't write or direct it.   If I remember right, they plastered his name all over the marketing though.  

I remember liking it a bit up until the end, when the cgi took over.   
Interesting.  It was directed by Andy Muschietti (the two recent It movies) and stars Jessica Chastain (Beverly in the second one) and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jamie Lannister from Game of Thrones), so it has some nice parts both in front of and behind the camera.

10/19 - Mama
Such a good movie. The ending is just an emotional mess... :(

10/20 - Night Teeth (Netflix exclusive)
This is about as much of a horror movie as Monster Squad in the fact it has horror character tropes (vampires) but isn't really scary.  It's targeted toward a younger audience (TV-14 rating) and is more about the relationship between the main character and the two lead vampires.  There are some police/crime undertones but it's just a popcorn flick and not much of a horror flick. 2/5

This is about as much of a horror movie as Monster Squad in the fact it has horror character tropes (vampires) but isn't really scary.  It's targeted toward a younger audience (TV-14 rating) and is more about the relationship between the main character and the two lead vampires.  There are some police/crime undertones but it's just a popcorn flick and not much of a horror flick. 2/5
Thanks for watching this as I was curious...you saved me

You pretty much nailed it, but I'd maybe bump it up to 3, 3.5 based on the atmosphere which I enjoyed, and that one last shot which I thought was awesome. 
Yeah, I really liked Saint Maud. The slow burn and the atmosphere leading up to the end really made it work for me.

The lead actress was great as well.

This was better than I thought it would be 

Last edited by a moderator:
How is that? Megan Fox looks pretty damn good in the images I’ve seen from it 
Honestly, not nearly as bad as it's reputation.   I think it's one of the better ones I've gotten through this month.   

I was more taken aback that it was on Criterion in that really - Armageddon? sort of way.  There are a handful on there I haven't seen that I put in the queue as possibilities for the next wave:  Inside, Them, The Brood, Scanners, and a few others I don't remember.  They also have the old Universal horror movies, which I have been slowly going through as well.  

I was also going to look up tonight where The Wailing is streaming.  

Honestly, not nearly as bad as it's reputation.   I think it's one of the better ones I've gotten through this month.   

I was more taken aback that it was on Criterion in that really - Armageddon? sort of way.  There are a handful on there I haven't seen that I put in the queue as possibilities for the next wave:  Inside, Them, The Brood, Scanners, and a few others I don't remember.  They also have the old Universal horror movies, which I have been slowly going through as well.  

I was also going to look up tonight where The Wailing is streaming.  
This is one weird ### movie imo. 

Anybody else have seen Jennifer's Body?  The more I think about it, the more I like it.  there are some really interesting themes and ideas in here, the relationship between the main 2 women was complicated, and its well worth it just for JK Simmons and his ridiculous look.  

10/21 - Backcountry
This film hit my radar a few years ago when I was searching for relatively unknown horror movies.  It was Adam MacDonald's first film as director (he would go on to direct Pyewacket) and is a survival horror movie about a couple who gets lost backpacking and stumbles upon a black bear.  The writing and acting do a good job of portraying the characters exactly how they wanted.  It's got a little bit of a Jaws vibe with the anticipation of the attack with the sounds of the woods playing a bit part in building the tension.  It's nowhere near the level of Jaws but it was mostly enjoyable.  Plus, this song is in it, so that moves the needle up for me! 3.5/5

10/22 - 13 Fanboy
I heard about this movie a while back and it piqued my interest.  It's a fan film, and you can tell it, as the acting is mostly wooden and is hard to stomach at times.  The premise is a fan of the Friday the 13th films is stalking the "final girls" from some of the films and killing them.  The neat thing about it is they brought back some of the original actors and actresses that were the actual final girls from the movies.  Deborah Voorhees, Lar Park Lincoln, Kane Hodder, and C.J. Graham are a few I remember off the top of my head.  It's not a great movie, but it's a decent slasher and they do a good job of giving most of the cast a reason to be the masked killer.  2.75/5

Just finished midnight mass.  It was ok, pretty slow developing, around 2.5/5 for me.  I get the religion angle is pretty central but still…I felt like I had at least half the Bible recited over the course of the series and found myself pressing the skip forward button too often.

10/23 - Southbound
This is an anthology movie consisting of 5 shorts.  With most anthology movies, there are a couple of good ones and the rest are just OK.  This one, surprisingly, had 4 very good stories and a fifth that was slightly worse.  I liked that each story bled into the next.  I can't remember another anthology movie that had quite this same effect.  I liked it more than I thought I would. 3.5/5

10/24 - Black Box
I came across this movie on a couple of different horror lists so I thought I'd give it a shot.  It's about a guy who loses his wife in a car crash and the accident causes severe brain damage to the point where his memory is hazy at best.  A new medical procedure shows promise for restoring lost memories, but the treatment causes some unwanted side effects.  The cast did a great job showing a wide range of emotions and I felt real empathy throughout the movie.  Parents with children, beware.  It might bring out some unexpected emotions for a horror movie.  4/5

:yes:   I guessing it's a different movie on rewatch, but I haven't mustered up the strength to watch it again yet.  

I've seen Midsommar 2x now.  I don't like it as much at Hereditary, but for sure worth a watch.  The oppressive tone that is Hereditary is there for about the first 20mins of Midsommar, and then it turns into, well... something different.  ;)  
Finally got to Midsommar last night.  Something different, indeed.  I didn't hate it but it was a bit slow.  

Dan Lambskin said:
Enjoyed Halloween Kills
Me too.  Good job of using the story line picking up where the last movie ended and incorporating grown up characters from the beginning.  Awesome kills and lots of blood.  The ending kind of sucked, but, all in all pretty good for a 12th sequel 40 years later.   :thumbup:

Ugh.  Thanks, won't waste my time. 

Train to Busan was really good, super entertaining and I’m surprised how much it got me emotionally. The little girl really sold it. My only knock is that zombie fighting action movie is a bit played out. This is probably the best version of it I’ve seen but it’s all kind of predictable by this point. The allusion to Night of the Living Dead at the end was cool. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Train to Busan was really good, super entertaining and I’m surprised how much it got me emotionally. The little girl really sold it. My only knock is that zombie fighting action movie is a bit played out. This is probably the best version of it I’ve seen but it’s all kind of predictable by this point. The allusion to Night of the Living Dead at the end was cool. 
Kingdom is really good as well, game of thrones style intrigue and lots of tension, not hokey.

Users who are viewing this thread