What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

It's been a great run Peyton - now enjoy retirement.. (1 Viewer)

Torn ligament. Not good. IR candidate? Likely not. Seems like the Broncos are more than content to treat him like

Weekend at Bernie's...just keep rolling his dead carcass out there every week and pull the strings.

Broncos going to be an interesting team next year. Their offseason QB search is going to be fun. I wonder about Stafford, actually.

Broncos going to be an interesting team next year. Their offseason QB search is going to be fun. I wonder about Stafford, actually.
I wonder about him too, but he won't be going to Denver.

Figure the job is probably Oz's to lose but Sanchez or :gasp: Geno Smith could come in to compete.

Not sure if its been mentioned or asked, but was that officially the worst fantasy performance in NFL history? Can anyone think of another player who put up -7 points in a game?
Some guy named Ed Baker had 4 INTs and 40 passing yards in a 1972 game. And Joe Namath had a game in 1975 where he had 6 INTs and 96 passing yards.
Here's the Ed Baker game. The last game of the 1972 season in a 61-17 loss to the Bengals.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197212170oti.htm

And a blurb from the Chicago Tribune about the game (love the little title in the box score 'Cinch-inatti')

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1972/12/18/page/76/article/bengals-pour-it-on-oilers-61-17

That was the only action Ed Baker ever saw in the NFL. Here's a blurb about him in happier times:

http://www.goleopards.com/sports/maroonclub/mtt/baker_ed00.html

-QG

Last edited by a moderator:
Deion was entertaining this morning on the NFL network. Marshall Faulk is a complete moron. Even Michael Irvin was taking him to school on the Manning discussion. Faulk thinks you are giving up by going with someone other than Manning. Deion in not the exact words: '4-20, 4 INTs, can't move, can't throw. What part don't you understand?'

Now after breaking the All time passing yards record, Peyton will not focus winning his 6th MVP the rest of the season.

Once it tears isnt that supposed to be a good thing? Just sounds like a bunch of excuses is all.
yeah I remember one past injury that actually tearing it was better for the injury.

It might have been Gates.
It happened to his (Peyton's) brother Eli... complete tear and played through it for nearly an entire season.

Heard it on the way to work this morning and the reporter did say that partial tears are much more restrictive and painful than complete tears.

The reporter also noted that it probably helped that Eli was 26 when it happened (not 39 going on 50).

What does this do for the wrs? I assume downgrade for all of them but interested to hear others thoughts.
As a DT owner, I'm thrilled, personally. Teams will actually have to play the deep ball a little. I have no idea what to expect overall from Osweiler, but he can't possibly be worse.

As much as I want to bury Peyton, that cockroach will somehow turn it around or win a super bowl throwing 3 picks and being hailed as one of the greatest of all time.

As much as I want to bury Peyton, that cockroach will somehow turn it around or win a super bowl throwing 3 picks and being hailed as one of the greatest of all time.
I'd say you are safe. He's really got a noodle for an arm.

kylechoffman said:
What does this do for the wrs? I assume downgrade for all of them but interested to hear others thoughts.
lmfao at downgrade. I think you misspelled up

He might if the NFC team in the Super Bowl signs and inserts Rex Grossman as their starting QB.

well he's certainly a top 5 all-time quarterback. Another super bowl or not.

Conspiracy theory I heard tonight is that they're giving Manning a bye week to rest before the Pats game. Ridiculous, but the way the NFL runs nowadays who knows?

It will be interesting to see if this really is a torn plantar fascia or not. Either way, it's a shame to see someone like him not make the choice to go out on top. At least he got that record yesterday. :unsure:

Conspiracy theory I heard tonight is that they're giving Manning a bye week to rest before the Pats game. Ridiculous, but the way the NFL runs nowadays who knows?

It will be interesting to see if this really is a torn plantar fascia or not. Either way, it's a shame to see someone like him not make the choice to go out on top. At least he got that record yesterday. :unsure:
why would they need to fabricate a story about his plantar fascitus? He was already on the injury report last week with a rib injury and had an MRI on that after the game yesterday.

Pretty much. It's not really even debatable.
A surprising number of people here would like to debate it.
he's in the argument for best ever. I'd put him at #3, personally.

Pretty much. It's not really even debatable.
A surprising number of people here would like to debate it.
he's in the argument for best ever. I'd put him at #3, personally.
I think Brady, Peyton and Montana are the top 3, and you could argue putting them in any order.

So... this may be a stupid question, but those of us left holding the bag in dynasty leagues... have you cut him yet? He's obviously worth nothing in a trade. I'm not sure if it's his last season or if he tries to latch on for one more go somewhere else (Houston, SF, Cleveland?), but he sure looks done. I'm not playing him the rest of this year regardless... I'd rather play a waiver guy than Peyton.

How plausible is it that this is all injury related and he's got one more solid year in him? Remember how awful Favre looked for the Jets in his age 39 season (22 TDs & 22 INTs)? Came back the next year with Minny and led them to the playoffs on the back of a 33TD/7INT season at age 40... Does Peyton have that left, or is it just the end of the ride?

In my keeper league, I am considering dropping Manning and picking up Winston. Amazing what this has come down to.

JFS171 said:
So... this may be a stupid question, but those of us left holding the bag in dynasty leagues... have you cut him yet? He's obviously worth nothing in a trade. I'm not sure if it's his last season or if he tries to latch on for one more go somewhere else (Houston, SF, Cleveland?), but he sure looks done. I'm not playing him the rest of this year regardless... I'd rather play a waiver guy than Peyton.

How plausible is it that this is all injury related and he's got one more solid year in him? Remember how awful Favre looked for the Jets in his age 39 season (22 TDs & 22 INTs)? Came back the next year with Minny and led them to the playoffs on the back of a 33TD/7INT season at age 40... Does Peyton have that left, or is it just the end of the ride?
I would drop him and move on. Maybe drink a cold one in his honor.

Plorfu said:
3nOut said:
In my keeper league, I am considering dropping Manning and picking up Winston. Amazing what this has come down to.
What's crazy is that this post isn't from 4 weeks ago and you haven't actually done that by now.
ive had other options and Winston wasn't available before.

JFS171 said:

I would drop him and move on. Maybe drink a cold one in his honor.
I think you're probably right. I will say I heard a beat writer on Sirius XM Fantasy today with John Hansen, the Fantasy Guru, say that he was talking to MLB minor league pitchers who told him that the bigger concern was the rib injury, not the foot. That the foot was painful, but they could treat that. Apparently the rib injury that Manning has is a major deal (according to this beat writer, stating what he was told by professional pitchers who have had the same injury). Supposedly it makes it very difficult to catch your breath and nearly impossible to complete your normal throwing motion.

That all said, I think Kubiak's going to fully install his offense now with Osweiller playing the Flacco-type role. If Osweiller plays just competently, then we may have seen the last of Manning in Denver. Whether he goes somewhere else... guess we'll see.

ETA - the same beat writer said it's likely mid-December before this is even a decision. The only solution for the plantar facia is rest, and the rib injury could take a month or more as well... plus he's 39, so the body just doesn't heal as quickly.

It wouldn't be the first time that people have said that he is done and he has come back to prove them wrong. I recall back in 2012, he threw 3 picks in the first quarter vs the falcons. http://www.atlantafalcons.com/media-lounge/videos/Falcons-vs-Broncos-Highlights/eb8669bc-36de-4ea8-8710-b015a91f488e

Talk radio was a buzz on how many ducks he threw and the speculation was that his arm was done. Deja vu.
lol, he has a 10+ game sample lately where he has been embarrassingly bad. He's not being judged on one week. He's been one of the worst QB's in football this season.

keep the dream alive, i'm sure at 40 he'll turn it around.

Favre had the Jets at 8-3 with consecutive road wins against the 10-0 Titans and New England before blowing out his bicep muscle in his throwing arm and falling apart (lost 4 out of last 5 games). Mangini didn't have the balls to bench him and the team fell apart. Favre was playing well before his injury.

I don't see tis Peyton situation as comparable - he looed done before this injury and his injuries are starting to pile up. He's breaking down.

I have memories of Willie Mays as old and broken down and "done" at the end of his baseball career (with the Mets).

Unfortunately, I have a feeling I'll have the same sort of memory of Manning; especially if he continues.

Users who are viewing this thread