What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

It's been a great run Peyton - now enjoy retirement.. (1 Viewer)

Even if Peyton ones and dones one final time next week or 2 weeks out, at least we'll be left with 1 more classic Peyton moment. He didn't deserve to go out on an injury.

Fascinating game today. I'm pessimistic about the Broncos from this point forward this year, but I'm rooting for Manning and really hope my reasoning is proven wrong.

I think he's still the same guy he was earlier in the year. Maybe the rest was good for him, but he's still done. He could hang on a couple more years if he was broke, but I think this should be it.

That being said, they only have to win two home games to get another shot at a ring. That's certainly doable. I can't think of any teams that look much better than them in the AFC. Hard not to root for the guy in this situation.

It is still a travesty that his idiot little brother has more rings than Peyton.

Last chance to even up the score

It is still a travesty that his idiot little brother has more rings than Peyton.

Last chance to even up the score
I don't think so. Peyton is one of the worst big game QBs I can remember. I like the guy, but fact is, he doesn't play well come play off time. Eli has a bigger arm, and much more of a big time gamer.

I would like to think if Manning was doing hgh he'd be smarter than having it sent to his wife
I love this argument. So Peyton would be smarter to not have HGH sent to his wife for his use but he is too dumb to understand that it being sent to his wife for her use might become newsworthy if that information became public?

I would like to think if Manning was doing hgh he'd be smarter than having it sent to his wife
I love this argument. So Peyton would be smarter to not have HGH sent to his wife for his use but he is too dumb to understand that it being sent to

his wife for her use might become newsworthy if that information became public?
What?
The fact that HGH was sent to Manning's wife isn't in dispute, Peyton has basically said as much.

I love this argument. So Peyton would be smarter to not have HGH sent to his wife for his use but he is too dumb to understand that it being sent to

his wife for her use might become newsworthy if that information became public?
What?
The fact that HGH was sent to Manning's wife isn't in dispute, Peyton has basically said as much.
And?

You can't say that manning is too smart to have his own hgh sent to his house if he actually let "his wife" have "her" hgh sent to his house. Because both things are pretty stupid things to do, and he definitely did at least one of them. If they were actually different things.

Rotoworld:

According to NFL Network's James Palmer, the Broncos plan to keep Peyton Manning under center in Sunday's Divisional Round game against the Steelers.

That's certainly not their quarterback's preference. Peyton operates best in no-huddle schemes where he can play out of the shotgun. Staying under center will require Manning to move inside the pocket, which could be an issue given his recent foot injury and overall lack of mobility. Keeping Manning under center would suggest the Broncos plan to run it down Pittsburgh's throat with running backs Ronnie Hillman and C.J. Anderson.

Source: James Palmer on Twitter

Jan 17 - 8:43 AM

Rotoworld:

According to NFL Network's James Palmer, the Broncos plan to keep Peyton Manning under center in Sunday's Divisional Round game against the Steelers.

That's certainly not their quarterback's preference. Peyton operates best in no-huddle schemes where he can play out of the shotgun. Staying under center will require Manning to move inside the pocket, which could be an issue given his recent foot injury and overall lack of mobility. Keeping Manning under center would suggest the Broncos plan to run it down Pittsburgh's throat with running backs Ronnie Hillman and C.J. Anderson.

Hmm. Makes sense. Focus on the running game and put your QB in a position where he is uncomfortable and has shown ineptitude all season. Yeah, focus on the vaunted running game. You know, the one that's ranked 17th out of 32 teams. Against a defense that is ranked 4th best against the run. Sounds like a plan.

Rotoworld:

That could also be that they're letting him change plays at the LOS and want him doing his patented barking orders to the line.

He's had too long too storied a career to make him seem only good in the shotgun.

The playoffs usually offer some new wrinkle by the D and this was certainly true of Pittsburgh under Cowher and Tomlin so I think it has to do with him making adjustments and telling others what he sees.

Rotoworld:

Hmm. Makes sense. Focus on the running game and put your QB in a position where he is uncomfortable and has shown ineptitude all season. Yeah, focus on the vaunted running game. You know, the one that's ranked 17th out of 32 teams. Against a defense that is ranked 4th best against the run. Sounds like a plan.
To be fair, the running game has looked much better lately.

The weather shouldn't be too much of a factor. It may be in the high 30s at game time but it's not a bitter cold. I think it's like 40° out right now but I have a T-shirt and shorts on and I'm fine.

At least one more game to go. Knock Belichick off one more time.
What a huge game for his legacy (as well as Brady).

Peyton reminds me a lot of Unitas at the end and it would be great to see him ride off into the sunset a winner rather than how Unitas went out (shutout vs. the Dolphins with 3 INT's).

i'm pulling for him, but after watching some of those throws today, i can't see how he's going to get it done against New England or the Cardinals/Panthers.

i'm pulling for him, but after watching some of those throws today, i can't see how he's going to get it done against New England or the Cardinals/Panthers.
Agreed. The Broncos D is great, but they will have to be all-time great, ala the 2000 Ravens or 2002 Bucs, the next two games for them to win it. Peyton is just physically done; it's clear as day.

Some were off but there was a 20 mph cross wind. Plus he had like 6 drops from his receivers a few of which would have been huge plays. I didn't think he looked as bad as he did in the regular season. Looked average today.

Some were off but there was a 20 mph cross wind. Plus he had like 6 drops from his receivers a few of which would have been huge plays. I didn't think he looked as bad as he did in the regular season. Looked average today.
i actually really like the guy. and yeah, he made a few great throws today too. but even on the drops, it just seemed like something was a bit off, and i can't help but wonder if more of that is on Manning than people want to admit.

i actually really like the guy. and yeah, he made a few great throws today too. but even on the drops, it just seemed like something was a bit off, and i can't help but wonder if more of that is on Manning than people want to admit.
If the ball hitsan NFL caliber WR in the hands, I don't know how you can put the incompletion on the QB.

I've about had it with Demaryius Thomas dropping passes he should catch in his sleep. See: that ball he dropped early in the game inside the 10.

If the ball hitsan NFL caliber WR in the hands, I don't know how you can put the incompletion on the QB.
True, but at one point in today's game the announcers said that a ball was dropped because it was tipped. The replay showed it wasn't tipped. It was just a dead duck. Peyton is throwing a real ugly ball this year, and even when it's on target it's not that easy to catch.

True, but at one point in today's game the announcers said that a ball was dropped because it was tipped. The replay showed it wasn't tipped. It was just a dead duck. Peyton is throwing a real ugly ball this year, and even when it's on target it's not that easy to catch.
That's true, but I don't think it's really new. He's never had a nice tight spiral.

yep

i actually really like the guy. and yeah, he made a few great throws today too.but even on the drops, it just seemed like something was a bit off, and i can't help but wonder if more of that is on Manning than people want to admit.
That's true, but I don't think it's really new. He's never had a nice tight spiral.
never...geesh

i actually really like the guy. and yeah, he made a few great throws today too.but even on the drops, it just seemed like something was a bit off, and i can't help but wonder if more of that is on Manning than people want to admit.
Well yeah, he's just not really a good QB any more.

The reason that Peyton is playing in the AFC Championship game in a season where he could barely keep up a 1:2 TD:INT ratio when he struggled to get there while playing as one of the greatest QBs of all-time is the same reason that a maturing game manager Tom Brady won 3 Super Bowls in 4 years while an incredible record setting Tom Brady went 10 years without winning one.

A good defense goes a long way. Peyton has rarely gotten the chance to play with one.

At least one more game to go. Knock Belichick off one more time.
What a huge game for his legacy (as well as Brady).

Peyton reminds me a lot of Unitas at the end and it would be great to see him ride off into the sunset a winner rather than how Unitas went out (shutout vs. the Dolphins with 3 INT's).
I love their chess matches and will miss them greatly when he retires.

I'm leery of your Unitas suggestion but hope the best for Peyton.

I wonder if there's somehow someway he is a backup in NE next year. All of his obsession, fascination, nemesis, rivalry type stuff he's had with BB since he was a rook...I wonder if he wouldn't jump at the chance to spend a year behind the curtain with BB. Belichick has not been shy with the compliments coming Peyton's way either. He got old this year, it's clear, so he's not a threat to Brady. Gallipoli stands on the sideline regardless. Peyton doesn't need the $.

He had a couple of troubling passes, but his arm looked better than it did in the AFCCG a few years ago. He wasn't floating them out there like a shot putter, just waiting to get picked off. His 2nd half also looked better to me than the 1st half, and he's coming off several months of not playing football and only had 9 attempts coming off the bench in week 17.

Any "rust" should be off now, and we'll know if his arm has anything left next week.

never...geesh
Peyton seldom throws a pretty ball, that's not his thing. What has made Manning great is recognizing defenses and adjusting and his accuracy. I see the latter slipping some, but a 40+ year old Manning is still better than most QBs.

I like Peyton but I do think he is done. He was not very impressive yesterday and the announcers were making a big deal out of the drops. Every QB has passes dropped -- the Steelers had several including a drop in the end zone that should have been caught.

I'll be rooting for him next week and if he somehow manages to make to the Super Bowl but he needs to hang it up after this year,

JohnnyU said:
Bri said:
never...geesh
Peyton seldom throws a pretty ball, that's not his thing. What has made Manning great is recognizing defenses and adjusting and his accuracy. I see the latter slipping some, but a 40+ year old Manning is still better than most QBs.
If you say so, he was a top 2 draft pick for a reason and it wasn't for reading defenses when he's 40. And there's hardly anyone he's better than right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Godsbrother said:
I like Peyton but I do think he is done. He was not very impressive yesterday and the announcers were making a big deal out of the drops. Every QB has passes dropped -- the Steelers had several including a drop in the end zone that should have been caught.

I'll be rooting for him next week and if he somehow manages to make to the Super Bowl but he needs to hang it up after this year,
I hate the Broncos but am rooting for Peyton. It really seems that this is the end of Peyton the QB. I cannot imagine him coming back next season. Physically, he cannot do it.

Users who are viewing this thread