What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

It's been a great run Peyton - now enjoy retirement.. (1 Viewer)

Godsbrother said:
I like Peyton but I do think he is done. He was not very impressive yesterday and the announcers were making a big deal out of the drops. Every QB has passes dropped -- the Steelers had several including a drop in the end zone that should have been caught.

I'll be rooting for him next week and if he somehow manages to make to the Super Bowl but he needs to hang it up after this year,
I hate the Broncos but am rooting for Peyton. It really seems that this is the end of Peyton the QB. I cannot imagine him coming back next season. Physically, he cannot do it.
Yeah, I'm pulling for the Broncos, too. If not them, then the Cardinals. Palmer and Fitzgerald seem like good guys and this may be their last chance, too. I don't want the Pats again and can't stand the thought of Cam Newton winning a ring. Him and his phony "I'm just a boy having fun" routine.

Rotoworld:

Coach Gary Kubiak insisted Monday that he did not consider benching Peyton Manning in Sunday's Divisional Round win over the Steelers.

Some speculated Manning might be benched for Brock Osweiler following a slow start, but Kubiak believed the Broncos' offensive problems were not attributable to quarterback play. "We were struggling because we couldn't catch the ball," Kubiak said. As dropped passes can be subjective, we've seen estimates ranging from five to nine for how many drops Denver's pass catchers committed against Pittsburgh. Peyton and his supporting cast may have to play a near-perfect game for the offense to pose a true threat in their AFC title bout with New England.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports

Jan 18 - 4:27 PM

I like Peyton but I do think he is done. He was not very impressive yesterday and the announcers were making a big deal out of the drops. Every QB has passes dropped -- the Steelers had several including a drop in the end zone that should have been caught.

I'll be rooting for him next week and if he somehow manages to make to the Super Bowl but he needs to hang it up after this year,
I hate the Broncos but am rooting for Peyton. It really seems that this is the end of Peyton the QB. I cannot imagine him coming back next season. Physically, he cannot do it.
Yeah, I'm pulling for the Broncos, too. If not them, then the Cardinals. Palmer and Fitzgerald seem like good guys and this may be their last chance, too. I don't want the Pats again and can't stand the thought of Cam Newton winning a ring. Him and his phony "I'm just a boy having fun" routine.
Yeah I remember when everyone hated Favre for this too...amongst other reasons.

Peyton has always melted in clutch situations and the big games. This is his last chance to change that legacy.

Good Lord, who gives a ####. He's one of the best ever. There is no way to quantify who is hte best ever. He's in every single conversation. I can't believe people actually waste time comparing stupid #### like this. And in the end say, you prove it right beyond all doubt, so what? Doesn't change anything at all.

Peyton has always melted in clutch situations and the big games. This is his last chance to change that legacy.
Didn't he win a Super Bowl?
the haters love ignoring that little fact.
Eh, Mannings SB win came on the heels of a top defense that year. I don't think Otis is being a hater but he has a semi-valid point. Especially when compared to Eli.
He also led a 3-score comeback including the game winning drive at the end in a 38-34 win in the AFC Championship game to get to the Super Bowl that year.

Same story as always. If you re-define "clutch situations" or "big games" to only games where Peyton lost, then yes he always loses them. If he'd failed to lead that game winning drive at the end of that AFC Championship game then it would have been a "clutch situation" and "big game". Since he did win it, it suddenly becomes neither.

Once people get a reputation for this stuff early in their career the rest of it writes itself. Like a few years ago when Brady set the NFL record for most failed game winning drives in a single NFL season, but the one time he did successfully lead one it was "vintage Tom Brady" and no one even mentioned all the failed attempts. Had it been Peyton, the narrative would have been completely reversed and the successful one would have been ignored while all the failed ones were harped on.

Eh, Mannings SB win came on the heels of a top defense that year. I don't think Otis is being a hater but he has a semi-valid point. Especially when compared to Eli.
He also led a 3-score comeback including the game winning drive at the end in a 38-34 win in the AFC Championship game to get to the Super Bowl that year.

Same story as always. If you re-define "clutch situations" or "big games" to only games where Peyton lost, then yes he always loses them. If he'd failed to lead that game winning drive at the end of that AFC Championship game then it would have been a "clutch situation" and "big game". Since he did win it, it suddenly becomes neither.

Once people get a reputation for this stuff early in their career the rest of it writes itself. Like a few years ago when Brady set the NFL record for most failed game winning drives in a single NFL season, but the one time he did successfully lead one it was "vintage Tom Brady" and no one even mentioned all the failed attempts. Had it been Peyton, the narrative would have been completely reversed and the successful one would have been ignored while all the failed ones were harped on.
Exactly.

I guess we are also supposed to ignore the 2009 AFCCG where they trailed by double digits and he led a comeback by making mincemeat out of the Jets number 1 ranked defense.

Haters: Yeah, but it was against Mark Sanchez.

You get the idea.

Dan LeBatard was discussing this weekend's matchups and referred to Broncos/Pats as the battle of Tom Brady vs Phil Niekro. Kinda funny.

Carry on.

Exactly. I'm not trying to be a hater. I love Manning. I've rooted for him so many times and watched him crumble in the big moment situations. That SB win wasn't about a dominant QB performance.

I hope he pulls off the storybook ending here. But he absolutely has the ability to fall apart in spectacular fashion, throw a bunch of ducks and 4 picks, and lose badly in one of these next two games. I almost expect it. I'm not hoping for it, but it won't surprise me at all.

Exactly. I'm not trying to be a hater. I love Manning. I've rooted for him so many times and watched him crumble in the big moment situations. That SB win wasn't about a dominant QB performance.

I hope he pulls off the storybook ending here. But he absolutely has the ability to fall apart in spectacular fashion, throw a bunch of ducks and 4 picks, and lose badly in one of these next two games. I almost expect it. I'm not hoping for it, but it won't surprise me at all.
:goodposting: i feel the same way.

Yes that defensive juggernaut that was the 21st ranked Indianapolis Colts.

Yes that defensive juggernaut that was the 21st ranked Indianapolis Colts.
They had a strong defensive run through the playoffs. I recall thinking a few injuries were healed up, etc... My memory may be incorrect but that was my recollection of it.

Peyton threw 3 TDs and 7 INTs in the playoffs the year they won the Super Bowl.

He has as many (2) game winning drives in the playoffs as Stan Humphries, Randall Cunningham, Jeff Garcia, Danny White and Mark Sanchez.

However, I suspect he plays pretty well today.

He has as many (2) game winning drives in the playoffs as Stan Humphries, Randall Cunningham, Jeff Garcia, Danny White and Mark Sanchez.

He would have a lot more if his kickers made field goals after he got them in range, if opponents missed game winning FG's at the same rate as Manning's peer, or if Raheem Moore maintains proper depth.

Last edited by a moderator:

He also has 4 4th quarter drives that could have tied or won the game - twice his kicker missed (one would have won it, another would have tied it), and twice he led his team to the go-ahead score in the 4th, only for his defense to blow it.

He has as many (2) game winning drives in the playoffs as Stan Humphries, Randall

Cunningham, Jeff Garcia, Danny White and Mark Sanchez.

He would have a lot more if his kickers made field goals after he got them in range, if opponents missed game winning FG's at the same rate as Manning's peer, or if Raheem Moore maintains proper depth.
And Eli would be Peyton's sister if he had ###### instead of a penis

He has as many (2) game winning drives in the playoffs as Stan Humphries, Randall

Cunningham, Jeff Garcia, Danny White and Mark Sanchez.

And Eli would be Peyton's sister if he had ###### instead of a penis
Insightful. It's hard hitting analysis like this that keeps this site running.Keep it up :thumbsup:

I never understood how most people tend to be for one player and then vehemently against all others. If you like Brady, then you must hate and belittle (P) Manning - belittling Eli is only fair ;)

IMHO we have been fortunate to see two of the greatest QB in the history of the game play in the past fifteen years.

He also has 4 4th quarter drives that could have tied or won the game - twice his kicker missed (one would have won it, another would have tied it), and twice he led his team to the go-ahead score in the 4th, only for his defense to blow it.
exactly. Just think of how differently wed look at Brady if not for the clutch kicking of Vinatieri.

JuniorNB said:
Ghost Rider said:
Baloney Sandwich said:

exactly. Just think of how differently wed look at Brady if not for the clutch kicking of Vinatieri.
Yep. That is a big reason why Brady is the more successful QB from a team standpoint (playoff wins and losses) than Manning. Heck, he is probably THE most successful QB ever.

But most successful is not the same as greatest (Brady is obviously in the greatest convo as well).

It wouldn't be the first time that people have said that he is done and he has come back to prove them wrong. I recall back in 2012, he threw 3 picks in the first quarter vs the falcons. http://www.atlantafalcons.com/media-lounge/videos/Falcons-vs-Broncos-Highlights/eb8669bc-36de-4ea8-8710-b015a91f488e

Talk radio was a buzz on how many ducks he threw and the speculation was that his arm was done. Deja vu.
lol, he has a 10+ game sample lately where he has been embarrassingly bad. He's not being judged on one week. He's been one of the worst QB's in football this season.

keep the dream alive, i'm sure at 40 he'll turn it around.
Thanks for correcting me. LOL

JuniorNB said:
Ghost Rider said:
Baloney Sandwich said:

or the tuck rule

Manning had carry teams with mediocre defenses his entire career.

It's about time a great defense carried him.

Good game Peyton, good game Broncos. Denver had the better QB and better coaching staff today.

Pats should be in good shape next year but sucks to not take care of business this season.

Gotta love that he'll get absolutely embarrassed by a swarming Carolina defense in his last game. :lol: I've got a lot of respect for the guy, but I love seeing him choke and lose even more.

I think we can all see where this is headed: Brock Osweiler is going to start the playoff game, he's going to be mediocre, the Broncos are going to be trailing by 10+ in the 4th quarter, Kubiak is going to put Manning in there as a desperation move, and then Manning will throw a pick-6 to finish off his career.

There will be no storybook ending.
Or maybe there will be a story book ending

Users who are viewing this thread