Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Official Dynasty & Redraft: RB Ezekiel Elliott, Cowboys

Faust

13 minutes ago, rockaction said:

You know what? I kind of like Kamara. Comes with much less drama than Zeke, who is great but costs himself time suspended and time off at crucial moments.

Won’t argue anyone who has a specific preference between Barkley, Zeke, Kamara, and McCaffrey.  

But as for the bolded, you mean that one suspension he had?  Or has he missed other crucial moments?  He’s quite literally been the model of consistency and production at his position outside of that.  Seems an odd comment to make.

7 minutes ago, SayWhat? said:

Won’t argue anyone who has a specific preference between Barkley, Zeke, Kamara, and McCaffrey.  

But as for the bolded, you mean that one suspension he had?  Or has he missed other crucial moments?  He’s quite literally been the model of consistency and production at his position outside of that.  Seems an odd comment to make.

I think there was the grabbing of the co-ed at tOSU that almost led to a different suspension that I'm thinking of and confusing. You're right. He does his stuff when he needs to, aside from being accused and/or caught on film performing battery on women.

That's not a soapbox or anything; I just hope it isn't a recurring problem. He also shoved a security guard on film this offseason and was close to suspension. He's cost himself six games over three years with the one incident -- that's a lot. 

Personally, if I'm thinking straight fantasy football, I prefer Barkley. Easy and in a walk. But I love Kamara and Elliott, too,. (Not a fan of McCaffrey's size.)

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rockaction said:

I think there was the grabbing of the co-ed at tOSU that almost led to a different suspension that I'm thinking of and confusing. You're right. He does his stuff when he needs to, aside from being accused and/or caught on film performing battery on women.

That's not a soapbox or anything; I just hope it isn't a recurring problem. He also shoved a security guard on film this offseason and was close to suspension. He's cost himself six games over three years with the one incident -- that's a lot. 

Personally, if I'm thinking straight fantasy football, I prefer Barkley. Easy and in a walk. But I love Kamara and Elliott, too,. (Not a fan of McCaffrey's size.)

i PRAY they have some wording in his new deal  to protect themselves from his off field idiocy 

1 hour ago, rockaction said:

And those are just the incidents we know about.

15 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

i PRAY they have some wording in his new deal  to protect themselves from his off field idiocy 

The Cowboys had extensive language in Dez’s contract to protect Dez and themselves I’m certain that the organization is smart enough to do so here.

Tex 

2 hours ago, Faust said:

ESPN's Adam Schefter confirms the Cowboys are "very close" to reaching an extension with holdout RB Ezekiel Elliott.

Per Schefter, Elliott is being accompanied to Dallas by his agent Rocky Arceneaux. Zeke is returning after spending most of the past month training in Mexico. The only real question now is if Elliott will be in game shape for Week 1. He could be on a pitch count or a healthy scratch ahead of a Week 2 return.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Sep 3, 2019, 2:40 PM ET

LMAO, all the money they’re paying him there’s zero chance he’s on a pitch count!

Tex

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PhantomJB said:

According to Shannon Sharpe the deal is close?

I received some information that Zeke and his team are on their way back to Dallas. It's going to be a 7-year deal and it'll be a mega deal, one that's going to shock a lot of people… I do believe Zeke Elliott will carry the ball on Sunday for the Cowboys.

https://thebiglead.com/2019/09/03/shannon-sharpe-ezekiel-elliott-on-way-to-dallas-will-sign-7-year-deal/

Yeah?

7 hours ago, zeeshan2 said:

[PFT]Getting initial chatter of Zeke deal being done. Six year, $90 million extension. Unconfirmed.

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1168916073623826432

It will be reported something like a 6 year deal worth 90 mil (15 mil a year) the truth will involve something like this:

52 minutes ago, Choke said:

The 5th year team option in 2020 is the last hurdle?

Zeke wants it removed with new contract, Cowboys want to keep it.

Cowboys want both remaining years to count so you have to add that in and it would really be 8 year 103 mil (12.8 mil a year).  Of course a big signing bonus so Zeke gets a chunk up from and a healthy amount guaranteed.  

If the only thing left is the 5th year to count it shouldn't be too hard to deal with, he stood to make 9 million anyway, that's not very far off 12.8.  Of course it's one year less the Cowboys will have him for before we do this all again.

22 hours ago, zoonation said:

I was talking about camp. Not meaningless pre season games.   

We’ll see.  I think he signs this week.  He has no leverage. 

Zeke had all of the leverage and both parties have known that since Zeke went past the faux deadline in August. The cowboys were never willing to make him miss the whole season and everyone knew it.  They offered him the second biggest contract in the NFL and he went back to cabo. They gave him concessions just to get him back onto American soil.  One win or loss in the NFL is much more valuable to them than one pre-extension game check is to Zeke.  This "Zeke has no leverage" thing sure doesn't seem to be hurting him in his negotiations.  

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

5 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

Zeke had all of the leverage and both parties have known that since Zeke went past the faux deadline in August. The cowboys were never willing to make him miss the whole season and everyone knew it.  They offered him the second biggest contract in the NFL and he went back to cabo. They gave him concessions just to get him back onto American soil.  One win or loss in the NFL is much more valuable to them than one pre-extension game check is to Zeke.  This "Zeke has no leverage" thing sure doesn't seem to be hurting him in his negotiations.  

He only had leverage because the Cowboys were interested.  In other words his leverage was granted to him by the team.

If this ever went sideways and became hardball, Zeke had less than zero leverage.

Edited by matuski
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, matuski said:

He only had leverage because the Cowboys were interested.  In other words his leverage was granted to him by the team.

If this ever went sideways and became hardball, Zeke had less than zero leverage.

That's exactly right.  He only had leverage because the cowboys needed him to sign soon more than he needed them to sign soon.  That's almost the definition of "leverage". 

So i guess i agree that without leverage he wouldn't have had leverage, but he had leverage because he did have leverage so he did have leverage. 

Thanks for pointing that out?

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

7 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

That's exactly right.  He only had leverage because the cowboys needed him to sign soon more than he needed them to sign soon.  That's almost the definition of "leverage". 

So i guess i agree that without leverage he wouldn't have had leverage, but he had leverage because he did have leverage so he did have leverage. 

Thanks for pointing that out?

I don't know what you are trying to spin here.

Guy was under the Cowboys heel for the next 4 years.

End of story.

The team deigned to do right by the guy.  

eta - good for him, I have always been for the team paying him.  But they absolutely had the ability to end his career if it went another way.

Edited by matuski

9 hours ago, travdogg said:

100% agree, and not just the Patriots. Eagles wouldn't, Chiefs wouldn't. 

If this costs them Amari Cooper and/or Byron Jones, they'll be much worse off than they would have been by letting Elliott walk. I think unless he completely faceplants this season, Dak is likely next.

ETA: This also sets a bad precedent for holding out with 2 years left on a deal. 

Wrong. I know this isn't a cowboys thread, but, I had to come back to this post.

They cowboys have been pretty successful with the number of players they have been able to keep. I dont think anyone saw the La'el Collins signing coming with a very team friendly contract. "No way they can sign that many first round draft picks to one position".  Guy was going to hit free agency next year with a big pay day, the Cowboys got in front of that. Much like they are willing to do with Zeke. Just take a look at dollars per year when his contract comes out (the right way) and compare that to what the franchise tag is, or what the best running back in the league is worth 3 or 4 years from now. 

Ditto Jaylon Smith. 

If you're lining up players to pick you choose Zeke, Cooper, Bryon, in that order. Maybe they cant keep everyone, but, they're keeping the best football player.  Period. They need a number 1 WR, we saw that last year, I'd bet they get it done as Cooper is already costing them 14 million.  There is no way they shouldn't be able to get that done.  If anyone is sacrificable its Byron. They'll try to get it done with the same approach, but, CB is the strongest position on the team right now. Well, except for RB and OL. 

The team is built around the OL and although they'd be good with a lot of different RBs they're down right dominating with Zeke. 

Edited by tonydead

@RapSheet

The #Cowboys & RB Ezekiel Elliott agree on a 6-year, $90M extension that makes him the highest-paid RB in the NFL, sources tell me and

@SlaterNFL

. Roughly half guaranteed. In all, it's $103M over 8 years—the 1st Cowboy to eclipse $100M in total value, the richest RB contract.

• Like 1

Just now, zoonation said:

Wow. Zeke takes Jerry to the cleaners.  

Only half is guaranteed.  The face of the franchise is signed for almost a decade. That is what Zeke gave up.

Good deal for the Cowboys.  They get the face of their franchise while keeping the O Line intact. 

The person who may get screwed IMO is Dak Prescott.  He has been the good soldier, but he may end up being the odd man out.    

• Like 1

11 hours ago, matuski said:

The mental gymnastics here.  🤣

• Like 2
  • Laughing 2

Zeke's average salary over the past 3 years has been 6.2M.  Including the 2 years remaining on the current deal: 8 years total, 50M guaranteed.... $6.3M guaranteed a year with incentives?  

I don't think Jerry was taken to the cleaners on this one.  In fact, Zeke may have made some real concessions.  As much as you hear "record breaking money", that is without the other 2 years remaining on his current contract.  It is an extension, not a new deal. 

There are better number crunchers than me on this board.  Off hand, it doesn't seem overly rich to me (aside from the fact we are talking tens of millions of dollars)  

Edited by Hairy Snowman
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, zoonation said:

I wasn’t posting to you specifically.  Jesus.  Sorry for having a take!

you know jerry won superbowls right? he dont care about the money...he wants to win again before he dies.....the best way to do that is to have zeke playing. .....kraft....bb and brady have the perfect blend of voodoo...it wont be duplicated ever....i dont get siting them as an example of how its done....get the greatest coach and most clutch qb ever? cool sign everyone up

• Like 3

Cause at the end of the day, the one real leverage you have? You can just take your own body and say "No. Won't do it." And thus the crassest of spoon-fed labor nightmares sucked at the teat of the smiling oil oligarch, and all was fun in their testament in the desert, built for nowhere.