What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ezekiel Elliott, NE (2 Viewers)

My only point was Jerry could hold this up if he wanted to all by himself because he is that powerful and he is. This isnt about me being "right," more the bashing I took, but it is mostly about that there has to be no doubts about Jerruhs absolute power in this league, it is real. Roger clearly has an ego and he pushed it her with Jerry, now Jerrys player is getting suspended and now Jerry knows its through corruption, yeah, Goo0dell is done. I hope people dont dispute the reach of Jones money in politics and judges causes as well. The reason the league is GOING to lose this case is because Jerry now wants them to. 

Jerry is going to get his pound of flesh now and it is Goodells job. I think that is pretty clear Jerry is angry and the most powerful owner is holding up your contract after you suspended his player as the courts saw, unfairly? lol Yeah, who doubts Jerrys resolve here? 

Clock is ticking on Roger.
Nothing I say will ever convince you otherwise (I doubt Jerry Jones himself could convince you otherwise) so I'm just going to be happy that you're speaking with me again and call it a win.

Wow, that was terrible.  I think I'd trade Zeke for Kareem Hunt or Ty Montgomery right now in PPR.  Who agrees with that?

He got 4 garbage catches.  I'm disappointed that despite throwing 50 times, Dak doesn't seem to look for him.  Tough day.  Hopefully better ones ahead.

I'm done with this guy.  When does he go to jail again??
Since he didnt get convicted of a crime, I would suggest law basics. lol

But seriously, They handed him the ball 9 times. They handed their stud RB the ball 9 times with a spread offense against the worlds best secondary. Linehan and Garrett should be fired for their coaching performance if we are going to lose our minds with over reactions.

They targeted Dez more times than they handed it to their stud RB. I can find any scrub wanna be coach to come up with that game plan. Everytime they ran him, it was predictable and into the teeth of the D. Unreal play calling. 

Since he didnt get convicted of a crime, I would suggest law basics. lol

But seriously, They handed him the ball 9 times. They handed their stud RB the ball 9 times with a spread offense against the worlds best secondary. Linehan and Garrett should be fired for their coaching performance if we are going to lose our minds with over reactions.

They targeted Dez more times than they handed it to their stud RB. I can find any scrub wanna be coach to come up with that game plan. Everytime they ran him, it was predictable and into the teeth of the D. Unreal play calling. 
Yep, looked quite like the Detroit Lions playcalling.   Delay runs out of the pistol/shotgun on 1st down.

Since I do not like his character on or off the field I enjoyed the game.  That said it was, in my mind, an anomaly and I would gladly field offers from his disgruntled owners. 

Since I do not like his character on or off the field I enjoyed the game.  That said it was, in my mind, an anomaly and I would gladly field offers from his disgruntled owners. 
I always wonder, do people watch football games for players character? I never said "Come on, get me this first down, I hate Aaron Rodgers." Or "Man, I hope we win, I really hope for Zeke to lose." 

Zeke and Rodgers are not on the side of the helmets, the team logos are and the helmets will still be the helmets when those players leave the team. 

I dont like Rodgers at all, or Sherman, or Dez...but doesnt mean I want to see a good player hurt or beat down especially when more good players get shut down the more we have threads like this discussing bad football.

I want Zeke, or Julio or Gronk healthy and lighting of the score sheet if I own them in fantasy or not and if I like them or not. Good football players on offense is good for the game, no one likes defensive games on TV. We like scoring!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mavis said:
I always wonder, do people watch football games for players character? I never said "Come on, get me this first down, I hate Aaron Rodgers." Or "Man, I hope we win, I really hope for Zeke to lose." 

Zeke and Rodgers are not on the side of the helmets, the team logos are and the helmets will still be the helmets when those players leave the team. 

I dont like Rodgers at all, or Sherman, or Dez...but doesnt mean I want to see a good player hurt or beat down especially when more good players get shut down the more we have threads like this discussing bad football.

I want Zeke, or Julio or Gronk healthy and lighting of the score sheet if I own them in fantasy or not and if I like them or not. Good football players on offense is good for the game, no one likes defensive games on TV. We like scoring!
I did not root for injury. I love a good defensive game.  And yes, I want good guys to succeed and poor character guys to fail. I know the game is not a morality play, but there it is, there are some guys it gives me satisfaction to see do poorly.  I don't encourage others to feel as I do, I just recognize it in myself.

I believe Elliot will do just fine, stat-wise, moving forward.

I did not root for injury. I love a good defensive game.  And yes, I want good guys to succeed and poor character guys to fail. I know the game is not a morality play, but there it is, there are some guys it gives me satisfaction to see do poorly.  I don't encourage others to feel as I do, I just recognize it in myself.

I believe Elliot will do just fine, stat-wise, moving forward.
Some on the board do seem to root for the injury bug to effect some every now and again however I wasnt talking to you directly per say, just in general.

I can imagine though the number of people pulling for Zeke to fail.

Some on the board do seem to root for the injury bug to effect some every now and again however I wasnt talking to you directly per say, just in general.

I can imagine though the number of people pulling for Zeke to fail.
Even in my negative moments thinking about young, spoiled multimillionaire players with the world at their feet I do try to understand their youth. Hell, at my age and experience I might play the fool if given their wealth and advantages and I have a lifetime of experience upon which to draw.  Damn skippy I would have acquitted myself poorly at 22 given what he has.  Hell, I acquitted myself poorly at 22 without money and fame.

Daniel Wallach‏ @WALLACHLEGAL  23m23 minutes ago

BREAKING: NFL files reply brief with Fifth Circuit. Briefing now complete. Decision on stay of Elliott injunction could come today/tomorrow.

Mavis said:
Well, dont wanna say I told ya so, but...You even called me a troll for believing this and said I messed up the thread with my remarks. Just wanted to post this to vindicate me against those falsehoods.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is "impeding" extension talks for commissioner Roger Goodell.

Schefter didn't say anything about the Zeke Elliott situation, but it's hard to imagine that isn't playing at least some role. Schefter and ESPN's Chris Mortensen suggested Jones simply believes Goodell is being paid too much money. "If not for Jerry, this deal would be done," a source told Schefter regarding Goodell's extension. Goodell's extension was supposed to finalize last month.

Sep 17 - 10:17 AM
A slightly more measured interpretation, of Mort'n'Schefter's hot take.

I am sure you would have gotten around to posting it eventually but I thought I'd save you the effort.

The NFL compensation committee consists of: Clark Hunt (KC), Robert K. Kraft (NE), John Mara (NYG), Bob McNair (HOU) and Art Rooney (PIT) and is led by Arthur Blank (ATL).

Daniel Wallach‏ @WALLACHLEGAL

BREAKING: Judge Mazzant denies the NFL's emergency motion for a stay of the Ezekiel Elliott preliminary injunction. Next up: 5th Circuit

A slightly more measured interpretation, of Mort'n'Schefter's hot take.

I am sure you would have gotten around to posting it eventually but I thought I'd save you the effort.

The NFL compensation committee consists of: Clark Hunt (KC), Robert K. Kraft (NE), John Mara (NYG), Bob McNair (HOU) and Art Rooney (PIT) and is led by Arthur Blank (ATL).
:yawn:  Working over time to try to make it look like facts dont dispute every wrong thing you said?

"If not for Jerry, this deal would be done."

Let it go man, you were wrong. Jerry is the most powerful owner in sports. 

Anyways, back to more pressing matters...

Daniel Wallach‏ @WALLACHLEGAL  25s25 seconds ago

Mazzant: "NFL is seeking expedited relief from CA5 w/o first waiting for me to rule on the same issue. The irony is not lost on the court."

:yawn:  Working over time to try to make it look like facts dont dispute every wrong thing you said?

"If not for Jerry, this deal would be done."

Let it go man, you were wrong. Jerry is the most powerful owner in sports. 
Sorry didn't mean to challenge your world view.

#alternativefacts

Sorry didn't mean to challenge your world view.

#alternativefacts
Its all good!

Daniel Wallach‏ @WALLACHLEGAL  5m5 minutes ago

Mazzant says NFLPA’s jurisdictional argument “could have been clearer,” but it’s his job to address jurisdiction.

Daniel Wallach‏ @WALLACHLEGAL  2m2 minutes ago

Mazzant: “The Court does not believe that exhaustion [of arbitral remedies] is a jurisdictional requirement”

Daniel Wallach‏ @WALLACHLEGAL  13m13 minutes ago

Elliott's status for the next 6 games is now in the hands in the Fifth Circuit. If a stay is granted, the suspension begins immediately.

Daniel Wallach‏ @WALLACHLEGAL  3m3 minutes ago

Detailed opinion from Mazzant intended to protect PI ruling from 5th Circuit stay or reversal. Plus, he was ticked off at NFL.

odds?  I'm no lawyer, so correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the NFL have to prove irreparable harm in order to win a stay?  Not sure how Zeke playing irreparably harms the NFL assuming that the appeal get adjudicated at some point.

odds?  I'm no lawyer, so correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the NFL have to prove irreparable harm in order to win a stay?  Not sure how Zeke playing irreparably harms the NFL assuming that the appeal get adjudicated at some point.
I give it a 5% chance. 

95% Elliott plays all year and gets suspended next year. Reduced to 3 games. 

He'll be the 3rd overall pick despite the suspension, which in believe is foolish. 

Also, tomorrow's winning lottery numbers are 7, 12, 13, 22, 45 & the powerball is 7. :yes:  

I am no lawyer, but based off of how I am clearly consuming as much info on this case as I can, short answer. YES.

However, what is lost in all this is the NFL is asking the 5CA to not only issue a stay but rule on the case on its merits before Judge Mazzant can rule on the case in its entirety. 

I'm no lawyer as I said, but ask any of them or any judge...asking for a ruling before a judge asked to heard the case has ruled is a no no of all no nos as we have learned. They didnt just do it with the stay they are trying to insult Judge Mazzant all the way to the 5CA, their arrogance may hurt them here as Judges dont like any other judge being disrespected in any way. 

Iasking for a ruling before a judge asked to heard the case has ruled is a no no of all no nos as we have learned. 
Hence the irony quote from Mazzant.  Got it.  So I guess my question is, if they are asking for an actual ruling as part of the stay and the 5CA decides it won't do so (even if it agreed w/ the irreparable harm concept) does that put an end to the stay?  

Hence the irony quote from Mazzant.  Got it.  So I guess my question is, if they are asking for an actual ruling as part of the stay and the 5CA decides it won't do so (even if it agreed w/ the irreparable harm concept) does that put an end to the stay?  
If the 5CA fails to rule or denies the stay, Judge Mazzant can take 3 years to put the case on his docket if he so chooses. As the stay will be denied and the 5CA says it wont rule on anything until Mazzant does. 

So, in case anyone is wondering how the NFL is going to fair in this case...

Daniel Wallach‏ @WALLACHLEGAL  7m7 minutes ago

Mazzant also describes evidence rulings as “misconduct” by Henderson. Sounds like he would find evident partiality.

A little turn of events as the memo from Mazzant is basically describing his ruling on the case in general, which can set up the 5CA to rule (I have been told a simple call to Mazzants office to ask for permission to rule from the 5CA is a likelihood.

It appears that the case can be finalized anywhere from moments to years right now, best pick up DMC for the next 24 hours as the NFL asked them to rule by 11am tomorrow.  

So, in case anyone is wondering how the NFL is going to fair in this case...

Daniel Wallach‏ @WALLACHLEGAL  7m7 minutes ago

Mazzant also describes evidence rulings as “misconduct” by Henderson. Sounds like he would find evident partiality.

A little turn of events as the memo from Mazzant is basically describing his ruling on the case in general, which can set up the 5CA to rule (I have been told a simple call to Mazzants office to ask for permission to rule from the 5CA is a likelihood.

It appears that the case can be finalized anywhere from moments to years right now, best pick up DMC for the next 24 hours as the NFL asked them to rule by 11am tomorrow.  
So cliff notes?  Wallach guy still thinks it'll be denied? and then Mazzant can take forever to add this to the docket so he plays all year?

So cliff notes?  Wallach guy still thinks it'll be denied? and then Mazzant can take forever to add this to the docket so he plays all year?
Daniel Wallach‏ @WALLACHLEGAL  8m8 minutes ago

Judge Mazzant says he won’t be able to resolve the NFLPA’s petition to vacate before November 5, 2017:

Daniel Wallach‏ @WALLACHLEGAL  8m8 minutes ago

Judge Mazzant says he won’t be able to resolve the NFLPA’s petition to vacate before November 5, 2017:
Even more confused. I don't understand anything this Wallach guy says. 

I thought we were deterring the stay this week.  If it's a stay he likely plays all year, if denied he starts his 6 games.

I thought we were deterring the stay this week.  If it's a stay he likely plays all year, if denied he starts his 6 games.
Huh? He is just quoting things from Mazzants brief. Mazzant says he wont be able to resolve the case that NFLPA filed with Mazzant until Nov at the least. His only ruling was for the injunction and denying the stay of that injunction as of now. The actual case is still pending.

The NFL is asking the 5CA to rule on not only the stay, but the case as a whole before Mazzant can rule. Even Wallach could not anticipate that level of arrogance, as he made it clear, people dont do that stuff, because its terrible legal strategy to disrespect judges. 

My understanding is as follows:

Zeke moved for a stay before the trial court which was granted.

The NFL moved, before the trial court, to stay the injunction -- which was denied today.

The NFL moved, before the 5th Circuit, to reinstate the suspension -- that has not been decided.  It will likely be decided, and in Zeke's favor, in the next few days and possibly today.  The Court's decision will almost certainly be grounded on the fact that the NFL cannot establish irreparable harm.

The end result is that this matter will not be resolved this year.  The trial court will not rule on the merits of the case for several months and, even if Zeke loses, he would file an appeal and seek a stay pending appeal.  He would almost certainly get a stay pending appeal.  The appeal would not be resolved until after the season. 

As for the merits, the trial court used some strong language attacking the NFL's procedure, due process, and fairness and found that Zeke had a reasonable probability of winning.  But, remember, the Brady court had the same probability of winning determination.  And we know how that ended.  The key here is that, even if Zeke wins the whole case, the likely relief is that this goes back to the NFL process and Zeke gets a new hearing.  And I would think that the NFL would clean up the procedural issues but come to the same ruling.  And then the process could start all over again.  Although not likely, it is not unheard of that Zeke could use the Court process to avoid missing time next year.  But I think that, in that event, the Courts would expedite the process to get a ruling quickly.

So, absent a settlement, I think that Zeke plays this year and ends up serving a 6-game suspension next year.

If the 5CA fails to rule or denies the stay, Judge Mazzant can take 3 years to put the case on his docket if he so chooses. As the stay will be denied and the 5CA says it wont rule on anything until Mazzant does. 
This is very very very unlikely.  Courts have benchmarks for getting cases trial ready and that would be outside of the norm.  Add in the publicity this case has and this case will get the rocket docket and be resolved quickly, albeit most likely not in time to reinstate the suspension this year.

As for the merits, the trial court used some strong language attacking the NFL's procedure, due process, and fairness and found that Zeke had a reasonable probability of winning.  But, remember, the Brady court had the same probability of winning determination.  And we know how that ended.  The key here is that, even if Zeke wins the whole case, the likely relief is that this goes back to the NFL process and Zeke gets a new hearing.  And I would think that the NFL would clean up the procedural issues but come to the same ruling.  And then the process could start all over again.  Although not likely, it is not unheard of that Zeke could use the Court process to avoid missing time next year.  But I think that, in that event, the Courts would expedite the process to get a ruling quickly.

So, absent a settlement, I think that Zeke plays this year and ends up serving a 6-game suspension next year.
True, but fairness was not the merits of the case. It was that the league couldnt suspend for such causes and that the punishment was too severe.

Merits of the cases are quite difference, as the judge of current record has said. But good points in your posts.

This case violates federal law as seen by the judge, the Brady case did not. the LMRA and FAA laws are in play here, procedure is the infraction not severity of punishment. Bradys procedure was done fairly, this one was not and we all knew that one the news broke that Henderson denied putting forth witnesses. 

Remember Arbitrators have the power of the courts behind them, you dont get that without having some regulations. 

Have we discussed Zeke completely quitting on the play after an interception yet?  The guy does not make it easy to root for him.
You want your stud RB to track down a player in a game they are getting destroyed in?

Why? Are we going to pretend it matters to us to see RB hustle and track down a player when they are a big part of your chance at a SB?

I want all skill players to lay down and play dead, not kidding, after interceptions that are already being taken to the house. 

You want your stud RB to track down a player in a game they are getting destroyed in?

Why? Are we going to pretend it matters to us to see RB hustle and track down a player when they are a big part of your chance at a SB?

I want all skill players to lay down and play dead, not kidding, after interceptions that are already being taken to the house. 
Out of curiosity, did Zeke win you a championship last year?  It seems he can do no wrong.

True, but fairness was not the merits of the case. It was that the league couldnt suspend for such causes and that the punishment was too severe.

Merits of the cases are quite difference, as the judge of current record has said. But good points in your posts.

This case violates federal law as seen by the judge, the Brady case did not. the LMRA and FAA laws are in play here, procedure is the infraction not severity of punishment. Bradys procedure was done fairly, this one was not and we all knew that one the news broke that Henderson denied putting forth witnesses. 

Remember Arbitrators have the power of the courts behind them, you dont get that without having some regulations. 
Sorry, let me clarify.  When I say merits of the case, I'm talking about the merits of the federal court litigation.  This case revolves around the procedure and process employed rather than the ultimate outcome.  And you are correct that this is why this case is different than Brady.  The issue in the Brady case was the claim that there was an incorrect ruling or a penalty not consistent with prior penalties.  And the court was not able to grant relief because it was bound to honor the prior ruling absent a finding of a procedural defect.  However, here, the issue is the claim that the process was flawed and that would entitle Zeke to relief. Unfortunately for him that relief would likely be a rehearing.

The game was not out of reach yet on the play in question.  Yes, I want him to hustle and act like he gives a ####.
Peter King sure has questioned it.  Says if the Cowboys don't reprimand him for total lack of effort than something is wrong with the organization

Out of curiosity, did Zeke win you a championship last year?  It seems he can do no wrong.
Nope, just seems here we try to pretend to care much more about the character of football players who we are here to discuss help us win championships. To be honest, he beat me in the SB of my trophy league. 

For the record, I think Zeke is a terrible guy. That has no bearing on this case and how the NFL abused its process. Also, I do not want my start players getting hurt in a tackle for fantasy football purposes. Do you think Jerry Jones wants him making tackles in a blow out loss in week 2 of the NFL season? 

Sorry, let me clarify.  When I say merits of the case, I'm talking about the merits of the federal court litigation.  This case revolves around the procedure and process employed rather than the ultimate outcome.  And you are correct that this is why this case is different than Brady.  The issue in the Brady case was the claim that there was an incorrect ruling or a penalty not consistent with prior penalties.  And the court was not able to grant relief because it was bound to honor the prior ruling absent a finding of a procedural defect.  However, here, the issue is the claim that the process was flawed and that would entitle Zeke to relief. Unfortunately for him that relief would likely be a rehearing.
From my understanding, the FAA and LMRA laws allow for the judge to be the final arbitrator in this case and the courts outcome will be the end result of this issue with the NFL.

Nope, just seems here we try to pretend to care much more about the character of football players who we are here to discuss help us win championships. 

For the record, I think Zeke is a terrible guy. That has no bearing on this case and how the NFL abused its process. Also, I do not want my start players getting hurt in a tackle for fantasy football purposes. 
I mean that guy clearly is a Cowboys fan.  If I was a Cowboy fan and a Zeke fan I'd want to see him not be lazy and his heart.

Plays like that stick in a coaches minds... Maybe he gets 1-2 less goal line touches next week who knows.  A player can get injured doing anything.  I guess I believe in Karma a bit more than you.

I mean that guy clearly is a Cowboys fan.  If I was a Cowboy fan and a Zeke fan I'd want to see him not be lazy and his heart.

Plays like that stick in a coaches minds... Maybe he gets 1-2 less goal line touches next week who knows.  A player can get injured doing anything.  I guess I believe in Karma a bit more than you.
That already happened week 1 when they threw it 3 times in a row from the GL. Maybe you give him GL touches, he wouldnt loaf.

But lets be honest, 9 touches? Thats the bigger crime. Karma works both ways, maybe next time the coach will give him the ball at the GL more if you want more out of your players. Maybe Zeke Remembered week 1 at the GL? 

From my understanding, the FAA and LMRA laws allow for the judge to be the final arbitrator in this case and the courts outcome will be the end result of this issue with the NFL.
I'm not sure about the LMRA (NLRA?) but the FAA shouldn't permit the Court to modify the arbitration award.  This isn't an issue like incorrectly adding up the judgment amount or ruling on an issue which should not have been addressed.  If there is an issue with the process, the result should be vacation (negating) of the award which would put the parties back to where they were before the arbitration.  

Users who are viewing this thread