Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Official Dynasty & Redraft: RB Ezekiel Elliott, Cowboys


Faust

Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, Bayhawks said:

This, from everything I've heard, is not even close to being a given.  In fact, if the appeals panel rules that the lower court had no jurisdiction, from what I've read, the southern NY district leans toward the side of business & is unlikely to grant an injunction.  Do you have any information that suggests otherwise, or is this just your own speculation?  Because if this is true, why would the NFL bother?  They are going to win this case, whether it gets decided now, or in the off-season.  If it is such a lock that the injunction will be "re-granted" by the southern NY court, why go through the bother of trying to get it moved?  Your speculation makes little sense.

Wallach:

NFLPA: "The NFL's only motivation to file in SDNY was to seek to deprive the NFLPA and Elliott of their chosen forum"

Wallach:

I believe the NFLPA would get the TRO in the SDNY despite Brady ruling + mid-season irreparable harm is off charts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, ourmanflint said:

Wallach:

NFLPA: "The NFL's only motivation to file in SDNY was to seek to deprive the NFLPA and Elliott of their chosen forum"

Wallach:

I believe the NFLPA would get the TRO in the SDNY despite Brady ruling + mid-season irreparable harm is off charts.

 

The only reason the NFLPA filed their suit prematurely was to seek to deprive the NFL of their chosen forum.  A decision that worked initially; they picked a district they thought would be favorable to them.  The NFL did the same, and it is reasonable to conclude (if they get a favorable decision from the appeals panel)  that they will similarly get the ruling they hoped for from their chosen forum.  

It is not reasonable to assume the NY court will go against the ruling made by their appellate circuit less than 2 years ago.  You’re offering what appears to be what you hope will happen, but it’s not based in fact.  Zekes best hope to play out this season is got the appeals panel to deny the NFL.

Edited by Bayhawks
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, conlilnew said:

Being offered Zeke and my choice of either Keenan Allen or Hopkins for Hunt in a full pt ppr. My wr's are Thomas-NO, Cooks, and Dez. Thinking about doing this deal and banking on Zeke playing this year. Hopkins sure would fit into my flex spot nicely.

Don't do that trade...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, conlilnew said:

Being offered Zeke and my choice of either Keenan Allen or Hopkins for Hunt in a full pt ppr. My wr's are Thomas-NO, Cooks, and Dez. Thinking about doing this deal and banking on Zeke playing this year. Hopkins sure would fit into my flex spot nicely.

It's a huge risk, but if Zeke isn't suspended you might win your league based solely on this trade...

and if he is suspsended, you're in trouble.

clearly the person offering the trade thinks he will be suspended.

also, 100% Hopkins > Allen.

Edited by larry_boy_44
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Bayhawks said:

 

The only reason the NFLPA filed their suit prematurely was to seek to deprive the NFL of their chosen forum.  A decision that worked initially; they picked a district they thought would be favorable to them.  The NFL did the same, and it is reasonable to conclude (if they get a favorable decision from the appeals panel)  that they will similarly get the ruling they hoped for from their chosen forum.  

It is not reasonable to assume the NY court will go against the ruling made by their appellate circuit less than 2 years ago.  You’re offering what appears to be what you hope will happen, but it’s not based in fact.  Zekes best hope to play out this season is got the appeals panel to deny the NFL.

Given the standard for injunctive relief in situations like this, it is very likely that the SDNY would grant an injunction.  While the NFL might win at the end of the case, the irreparable harm to be suffered by Zeke (there is no dispute on this) and the relative hardship on the parties heavily weighs in favor of the injunction.  The only prong that may be of concern is the likelihood of success but Zeke has put forth enough of a case (buttressed by the prior ruling in his case) that it shouldn't prevent him from getting an injunction.

The key is what is the harm in making Zeke serve his suspension next year.  The answer is none which is why he should get an injunction, even in NY.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, larry_boy_44 said:

It's a huge risk, but if Zeke isn't suspended you might win your league based solely on this trade...

and if he is suspsended, you're in trouble.

clearly the person offering the trade thinks he will be suspended.

also, 100% Hopkins > Allen.

Agree.  It's a 50/50 move right here.  Nobody knows.  Wallachlegal posted yesterday he still thinks that NYC will side with Zeke even if the case goes there which I was shocked.

It's basically like getting a free WR IF Zeke doesn't get 6 games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, wakelawyer said:

Given the standard for injunctive relief in situations like this, it is very likely that the SDNY would grant an injunction.  While the NFL might win at the end of the case, the irreparable harm to be suffered by Zeke (there is no dispute on this) and the relative hardship on the parties heavily weighs in favor of the injunction.  The only prong that may be of concern is the likelihood of success but Zeke has put forth enough of a case (buttressed by the prior ruling in his case) that it shouldn't prevent him from getting an injunction.

The key is what is the harm in making Zeke serve his suspension next year.  The answer is none which is why he should get an injunction, even in NY.

:thumbup: Hoping it plays out this way.  I have a feeling they announce this during the bye.  Couldn't they say announcing it during the bye gives the Cowboys enough time to gameplan during those 2 weeks to make moves?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Gottabesweet said:

Agree.  It's a 50/50 move right here.  Nobody knows.  Wallachlegal posted yesterday he still thinks that NYC will side with Zeke even if the case goes there which I was shocked.

It's basically like getting a free WR IF Zeke doesn't get 6 games.

And if he does, it's like getting a free WR for 5 of them.  There's a non-zero chance Watson outscores Hunt ROS, and a pretty reasonable chance he scores within a couple of PPG of him ROS.  That's approaching Zeke for free.  That trade is a no-brainer in my mind.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, wakelawyer said:

Given the standard for injunctive relief in situations like this, it is very likely that the SDNY would grant an injunction.  While the NFL might win at the end of the case, the irreparable harm to be suffered by Zeke (there is no dispute on this) and the relative hardship on the parties heavily weighs in favor of the injunction.  The only prong that may be of concern is the likelihood of success but Zeke has put forth enough of a case (buttressed by the prior ruling in his case) that it shouldn't prevent him from getting an injunction.

The key is what is the harm in making Zeke serve his suspension next year.  The answer is none which is why he should get an injunction, even in NY.

From what I understand, the SDNY would be bound by the precedent established by the 2nd Circuit's decision in the Brady case, which essentially confirmed that the CBA agreed upon by Zeke's union (NFLPA) gives Goodell nearly unlimited authority under Article 46. 

With that precedent, from their own appellate circuit, the SDNY court should have to conclude that the NFLPA would be hard-pressed to show that their case is likely to be successful.  That would be what prevents Zeke (if he fails to do so) from getting an injunction.

ETA-at this point, if you own Zeke, you're probably better off holding him.  If you were to try to trade him, I doubt you could get fair value.  You'd have to give him away at a discount, & I think the prospect that he keeps the injunction or gets another from the SDNY court would outweigh the return you'd get for him in a trade.

Edited by Bayhawks
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, theplayer11 said:

have dmc but just grabbed morris as well in case a suspension is announced this week...too much dead wait to be carrying, this needs to be settled soon. 

as did I.  Hate having 3 Cowboys' RB's on my team, but hopefully we'll know shortly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Bayhawks said:

From what I understand, the SDNY would be bound by the precedent established by the 2nd Circuit's decision in the Brady case, which essentially confirmed that the CBA agreed upon by Zeke's union (NFLPA) gives Goodell nearly unlimited authority under Article 46. 

With that precedent, from their own appellate circuit, the SDNY court should have to conclude that the NFLPA would be hard-pressed to show that their case is likely to be successful.  That would be what prevents Zeke (if he fails to do so) from getting an injunction.

ETA-at this point, if you own Zeke, you're probably better off holding him.  If you were to try to trade him, I doubt you could get fair value.  You'd have to give him away at a discount, & I think the prospect that he keeps the injunction or gets another from the SDNY court would outweigh the return you'd get for him in a trade.

:thumbup:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If Zeke is indeed suspended, those who choose correctly between Morris & McFadden could get a big midseason boost to help cover for injuries & byes.

The article that was linked by VikingFrog (https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2017/09/14/cowboys-continue-go-alfred-morris-switch-darren-mcfadden-rb2) seems to indicate Morris beat out McFadden for the backup job, which is what I suspected.

I wouldn't say it's a lock, though. Unless we get direct confirmation, we probably won't know how things will shake out until it happens.

Edited by Football Jones
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bayhawks said:

From what I understand, the SDNY would be bound by the precedent established by the 2nd Circuit's decision in the Brady case, which essentially confirmed that the CBA agreed upon by Zeke's union (NFLPA) gives Goodell nearly unlimited authority under Article 46. 

With that precedent, from their own appellate circuit, the SDNY court should have to conclude that the NFLPA would be hard-pressed to show that their case is likely to be successful.  That would be what prevents Zeke (if he fails to do so) from getting an injunction.

ETA-at this point, if you own Zeke, you're probably better off holding him.  If you were to try to trade him, I doubt you could get fair value.  You'd have to give him away at a discount, & I think the prospect that he keeps the injunction or gets another from the SDNY court would outweigh the return you'd get for him in a trade.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.  And the reality is that no one knows what a judge will do.  But injunctions get entered all the time where a party only establishes a possibility rather than a reasonable likelihood of ultimate success on the merits.  Given that that the NFL suffers no harm if an injunction is entered and Zeke suffers irreparable, by definition, harm if he is suspended and then wins, I think the Court will be a bit flexible on the success-on-the-merits prong of the analysis.

The Brady case isn't conclusive as to the merits here.  The Brady case, from what I remember, basically said that the Courts won't overrule the NFL's determination -- even if wrong or the Court would rule otherwise -- if due process was afforded.  Here, I think that Zeke attacks the due process prong.  In that case, the Courts could consistently rule in favor the NFL (in Brady) and in favor of Zeke in this case.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, wakelawyer said:

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.  And the reality is that no one knows what a judge will do.  But injunctions get entered all the time where a party only establishes a possibility rather than a reasonable likelihood of ultimate success on the merits.  Given that that the NFL suffers no harm if an injunction is entered and Zeke suffers irreparable, by definition, harm if he is suspended and then wins, I think the Court will be a bit flexible on the success-on-the-merits prong of the analysis.

The Brady case isn't conclusive as to the merits here.  The Brady case, from what I remember, basically said that the Courts won't overrule the NFL's determination -- even if wrong or the Court would rule otherwise -- if due process was afforded.  Here, I think that Zeke attacks the due process prong.  In that case, the Courts could consistently rule in favor the NFL (in Brady) and in favor of Zeke in this case.

When do you anticipate a ruling, Late Sunday night or Monday morning seem like a good bet. The PR Friday at 5:00pm works as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Gottabesweet said:

When do you anticipate a ruling, Late Sunday night or Monday morning seem like a good bet. The PR Friday at 5:00pm works as well.

I wouldn't expect the Court to time its ruling based on PR concerns.  So I don't think that a late Friday night decision is any more likely than any other time.  I think that the Court will issue a decision when it's ready to issue the decision.  But, if I had to guess, I would think an early week ruling makes sense.  It gives the Court the weekend to reflect on its decision and finalize the ruling and it gives the parties a few days to react and take necessary actions after the decision has been rendered.  

EDIT - I just realized that this is a holiday weekend.  So you probably won't see anything until Tuesday of next week.  The Court will be closed Monday (except for emergent matters) and Court staff, clerks, etc. will want to leave early on Friday.  No one's life is in jeopardy in the absence of an immediate ruling so there's not a need for the Court to rush a ruling.  So I think that the Court will wait until next week. 

Edited by wakelawyer
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, wakelawyer said:

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.  And the reality is that no one knows what a judge will do.  But injunctions get entered all the time where a party only establishes a possibility rather than a reasonable likelihood of ultimate success on the merits.  Given that that the NFL suffers no harm if an injunction is entered and Zeke suffers irreparable, by definition, harm if he is suspended and then wins, I think the Court will be a bit flexible on the success-on-the-merits prong of the analysis.

The Brady case isn't conclusive as to the merits here.  The Brady case, from what I remember, basically said that the Courts won't overrule the NFL's determination -- even if wrong or the Court would rule otherwise -- if due process was afforded.  Here, I think that Zeke attacks the due process prong.  In that case, the Courts could consistently rule in favor the NFL (in Brady) and in favor of Zeke in this case.

I will defer to your opinion.  I’m basing mine on things I’ve read, rather than any kind of personal experience/knowledge.  That being said, I’ll look it up (when I have time & if I remember), but I don’t think the Brady decision made any mention of due process. IIRC, it was basically “the NFLPA said Goodell could handle player discipline, so he gets to handle player discipline.”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

Ruling is out!!!! Zeke Vindicated!!!!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

...just kidding...

Remind me to punch you in the throat if we ever meet. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dr. Dan said:

Ruling is out!!!! Zeke Vindicated!!!!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

...just kidding...

You should be banned for six weeks!!!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I’M NOT KIDDING!!!!!!!!

 

TEX

  • Like 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Hankmoody said:

And if he does, it's like getting a free WR for 5 of them.  There's a non-zero chance Watson outscores Hunt ROS, and a pretty reasonable chance he scores within a couple of PPG of him ROS.  That's approaching Zeke for free.  That trade is a no-brainer in my mind.

I did the trade. No guts, no glory! If Zeke does get suspended my other rb's are Martin, Lynch, and Kamara. I think I can get by with them especially if Kamara keeps getting more playing time.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Bayhawks said:

I will defer to your opinion.  I’m basing mine on things I’ve read, rather than any kind of personal experience/knowledge.  That being said, I’ll look it up (when I have time & if I remember), but I don’t think the Brady decision made any mention of due process. IIRC, it was basically “the NFLPA said Goodell could handle player discipline, so he gets to handle player discipline.”

I haven't looked at the Brady decision but your recollection could be correct.  I think that the issue is that arbitration decisions will be respected -- even if wrong -- provided there is nothing significantly flawed in the process. So, for Brady, the Court upheld the decision.  Here, the Texas Court took quite a few digs at the process, which could lead one to believe that a Court could rule that the process was flawed and thus unworthy of being upheld.  However, even in that case, it would likely just go back to the NFL for another hearing.  Zeke could very well lose but I think that he could present an argument that there's a non-zero chance that he wins.  In that case, notwithstanding strong language in the applicable standard about a reasonable likelihood of success, the Court may focus on relative harms and not want to disturb the status quo until the matter can be fully developed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Dr. Dan said:

Wish I could say that's the first time I've done that on this board... but I believe I got a lot of people last year with Ingram going to NE at the trade deadline ;) Sorry everyone! Happy Thursday... 

Super uncool. Don't do this ever again.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tick tock, tick tock.

Keep flip flopping on whether or not to ditch DMC and Morris prior to kickoff and deal with other issues.

Roll of the dice thinking you can get either back in waivers if there is no decision (although Monday is a holiday for most so maybe this takes a couple more days).

Both could be useless as well. And, it's going to take two weeks plus for all of us to truly know who gets the majority of the carries since there is a bye week next week.

What's everyone doing?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

Tick tock, tick tock.

Keep flip flopping on whether or not to ditch DMC and Morris prior to kickoff and deal with other issues.

Roll of the dice thinking you can get either back in waivers if there is no decision (although Monday is a holiday for most so maybe this takes a couple more days).

Both could be useless as well. And, it's going to take two weeks plus for all of us to truly know who gets the majority of the carries since there is a bye week next week.

What's everyone doing?

Been hold alf since like week 2 then someone dropped dmc and I picked him up too. Ain't dropping till decision is out. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...