Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Official Dynasty & Redraft: RB Ezekiel Elliott, Cowboys

Faust

McFadden has been the primary back in this offense and his skill set more closely resembles Zeke's. 
Morris has been a complimentary back his entire time in Dallas and has had a downward statistical trend for a while now. 

This isn't rocket science 

Edited by [icon]

3 minutes ago, JFS171 said:

I watched this battle all preseason myself as i expected Zeke to miss 6 games to start the year. To my eyes, Morris looked lighter and quicker than he has in the past. At one point this preseason he was leading the league in PFF's elusiveness rating. McFadden looked kinda done to me. He can run in a straight line and catch, I guess. But McFadden wasn't getting the edge really, wasn't making anyone miss, and was down on first contact.

I thought Morris being active over McFadden was ST-related and that McFadden was still the handcuff, but now I'm honestly not so sure. Morris has looked solid when given the chance. I think Morris would've gone elsewhere when he was a FA if he knew Dallas was going to draft Zeke, but ... this is his shot at a new contract. Morris is a FA after this year.

I will watch/record his touches from the preseason. Also yeah, Morris hasn't played a single ST snap this year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SameSongNDance said:

I will watch/record his touches from the preseason. Also yeah, Morris hasn't played a single ST snap this year.

Bingo.

ETA - Rod Smith does play ST ... so that's why he's got a jersey over DMC

Edited by JFS171

8 minutes ago, 4th&inches said:

in my short bench league, i'm really torn on dropping Collins for DMC. stupid bye weeks for my QB or i'd have DMC rostered already

I start 15 guys and 5 bench spots. I picked up Morris and DMC, taking up 3/5 bench spots for 1 actual point producing spot on a bye week. I feel your pain. I now have 2 gaping holes in my starting lineup lol

Fwiw (and I picked up McFadden last week when the decision was maybe going to break...) as I understand it, EE can get a stay on the decision pending appeal, and then if that fails he can await the decision on appeal, then he can file for injunction in SDNY. So he's sort of standing where the NFL was a couple weeks ago.

1 minute ago, Tommy Collins said:

I start 15 guys and 5 bench spots. I picked up Morris and DMC, taking up 3/5 bench spots for 1 actual point producing spot on a bye week. I feel your pain. I now have 2 gaping holes in my starting lineup lol

had to do it... in my other league I'm about to drop Conner (I KNOW the Bell owner will scoop him too) for Morris as I already have DMC... :wall:

2 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Fwiw (and I picked up McFadden last week when the decision was maybe going to break...) as I understand it, EE can get a stay on the decision pending appeal, and then if that fails he can await the decision on appeal, then he can file for injunction in SDNY. So he's sort of standing where the NFL was a couple weeks ago.

looks to me like in a week-maybe 2 weeks were in the same boat as 1 hour ago.

3 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Do you think this process can last through this season?

11 minutes ago, Weebs210 said:

7 minutes after rofl. Sorry dude

Nah I dropped him yesterday for Funchess to start for Diggs. If Diggs was healthy I'd still have Morris. Considering dropping Crowell or Collins for him... but I don'tthink Morris is that good TBH

7 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

So he can play week 7 with this appeal in place? This is crazy. 

Rotoworld updated their take on the situation:

If Elliott's suspension actually does take hold for Week 7, Alfred Morris and Darren McFadden would likely form a committee. Morris is probably the slightly better add. The truth is, there is zero clarity.

Pretty much.

How does the NFL do this stuff to themselves? So messed up.

Keep in mind, the NFLPA agreed to this for more money. No one to blame but themselves.

Edited by The Frankman
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, The General said:

Do you think this process can last through this season?

with lawyers who knows.  I just know with buy weeks & a 50/50 proposition on who is even the starter count me out.  Love the info though so keep it coming.

4 minutes ago, The Frankman said:

Rotoworld updated their take on the situation:

Pretty much.

Keep in mind, the NFLPA agreed to this for more money. No one to blame but themselves.

Not sure if they envisioned Goodell being such a complete idiot with this power but yeah they made the deal.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

Nah I dropped him yesterday for Funchess to start for Diggs. If Diggs was healthy I'd still have Morris. Considering dropping Crowell or Collins for him... but I don'tthink Morris is that good TBH

So he can play week 7 with this appeal in place? This is crazy. 

No, as of now, the suspension has been reinstated.  The legal ruling that had prevented the NFL from enforcing it is void.

Zeke can appeal in the SDNY for another stay/TRO to allow him to play while the court case is pending.  Some people believe he is likely to get that, some do not.  This is the same circuit that ruled against Brady (eventually).  That decision effectively said that Goodell can do pretty much what he wants with regards to player discipline, BECAUSE the NFLPA gave him that power in the CBA.  This makes it very questionable as to whether Zeke is likely to win his suit, which is one of the requirements for a stay/TRO.  If the court doesn't think he has a chance to win (and their own circuit court's ruling makes it unlikely that he'll win), they might not grant the stay/TRO.  This is why the NFLPA tried to cheat and file their suit early in the TX court where they thought (rightly so) they'd get a biased judge who'd rule in their favor.

15 minutes ago, WheelsUp said:

Judge assigned to NFL’s suit in NY is Katherine Polk Failia, an Obama appointee.

Is this good or bad news for Zeke getting an injunction or possibly playing this season out? I just got offered Zeke, Hopkins, and Jax D for Hunt in a full pt ppr league. Not sure what to do.

Edited by conlilnew

Depending how lucky you've been with the ww this year you might be better off leaving this situation alone. Right now in ppr I wouldn't drop a McKinnon, McGuire, Kamara, Ellington, etcetera for the gamble of Dallas backup. 

The line isn't as good as last year and if they split work it could be an unpleasant situation for owners.

6 minutes ago, conlilnew said:

Is this good or bad news for Zeke getting an injunction or possibly playing this season out? I just got offered Zeke, Hopkins, and Jax D for Hunt in a full pt ppr league. Not sure what to do> 

Not sure about her rulings on labor law; that's what is really relevant.  IMO it doesn't really matter if she was appointed by a Dem or Rep.

33 minutes ago, JFS171 said:

To my eyes, Morris looked lighter and quicker than he has in the past. At one point this preseason he was leading the league in PFF's elusiveness rating. McFadden looked kinda done to me. He can run in a straight line and catch, I guess. But McFadden wasn't getting the edge really, wasn't making anyone miss, and was down on first contact.

Here's some of his touches from the preseason. The vid is kind of choppy at points but there's nothing I can do about it. He doesn't look washed to me. For example, CJ looked objectively washed, I really can't say the same about DMC although it's only preseason.

17 minutes ago, The General said:

How does the NFL do this stuff to themselves? So messed up.

I really can't say. I posted this article a while back, it's dated but it was from back when the Mazzant decision was in waiting.

If the Elliott case is relocated to the Southern District of New York, the Brady decision would serve as binding precedent on it. Among other things, the Brady decision instructs judges that they are barred from reading new process rights into a CBA that the CBA doesn’t express. From a practical standpoint, Elliott would almost certainly lose to the NFL if forced to litigate in the Southern District of New York.

- That's by Michael McCann. But like Irish says "who knows" because sometimes what happens is judges just fit the reasoning to fit their desired conclusion. I know some won't like that comment but that's the way it works sometimes.

I don't think this will last all year. If EE/NFLPA lose in SDNY I think EE at least chucks in the towel and takes his suspension. But if he wins all bets are off.

If there is no further appeal, the case has to be remanded to Mazzant, then he has to dismiss it, then the case gets picked up in SDNY. I think once it's there if EE is denied he's done.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, AnonymousBob said:

Depending how lucky you've been with the ww this year you might be better off leaving this situation alone. Right now in ppr I wouldn't drop a McKinnon, McGuire, Kamara, Ellington, etcetera for the gamble of Dallas backup. 

The line isn't as good as last year and if they split work it could be an unpleasant situation for owners.

Dropped Mckinnon for DMC, Don't feel good about it, but need something, been devastated by injuries

Just now, Weebs210 said:

Some guys are not worth dropping on this back field. I dropped Gallman only because his schedule is brutal next two weeks/bye and there offense lost a their weapons.

Isn't that good news for PPR leagues? Tons of dump off pass since their WRs suck

1 minute ago, ourmanflint said:

Wallach has had his opinion about this case set for a LONG time.  He's suggesting that a voided ruling by a judge from another federal district will be more instructive than the SDNY's own circuit court ruling from just last year?  That's a convenient take on the situation.

• Like 1

I picked up DMC in two leagues. Alf was available in both. 

We may have note clarity before next Sunday, but we should assume that we won't. My advice is go with your gut. If you have space for both, go for it. Otherwise just pick one and hope it works out.

1 minute ago, ourmanflint said:

I wouldn't say that. I didn't read all of his tweets but I do remember him predicting Mazzant would grant the TRO and injunction which he did.

That is correct.  But he seems to ignore whatever doesn't fit his preconceived notion of what will happen.  IMO, the SDNY is going to find the 2nd circuit's ruling in the brady case last year as more instructive than a voided decision of a judge in a different federal district.  The 2nd circuit found that  the lower court's vacation of the suspension based on "fundamental unfairness" was wrong.  Specifically, they said "even if an arbitrator makes mistakes of fact or law, we may not disturb an award so long as he acted within the bounds of his bargained-for authority."  They went on to say Goodell has extremely broad powers under the CBA.

Yet Wallach thinks that this circuit court's decision that Goodell can make factual mistakes (like ignoring evidence) or legal mistakes (not allowing Zeke to face his accuser) but if he acts within the bounds of his authority, they can't over-rule him is less important than a TX district judge saying otherwise?  If the district court rules in favor of Zeke, that case will go before this same circuit court.  Why would they decide differently this time?  They've already ruled & that precedent will likely be more instructive than Mazzant's nullified ruling.

14 minutes ago, ourmanflint said:

The NFL will likely oppose that move.  From what I understand, there's no legal basis to change courts.  The NFL filed properly in SDNY, there's not a legitimate reason for the case to be moved.  If it was, that would definitely bode well for Zeke.  He'd likely get another TRO & since this time it would have been obtained properly, he should be available to play the rest of the season.

ETA-Wallach went on to tweet that it wasn't likely to succeed.

Edited by Bayhawks