What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ezekiel Elliott, NE (2 Viewers)

I don't see any good reason why the Cowboys would go from making McFadden a healthy scratch for over a quarter of the season, and then throw him into the lead back role. Morris doesn't play special teams, and clearly looked better in the preseason than DMac. It isn't as if they thought a handful of carries over the course of the first 5 games was going to seriously jeopardize McFadden's health so they didn't dress him. You always want to bring your top backup to the game on Sundays. Especially given the fact that Morris ripped off a 70 yard run recently as well. DMac missed almost all of last year, has been a scratch this year, looked stiff as a board in the preseason... I just don't see it.
Many people were making this exact argument.  Personally, I think the Cowboys were being super sneaky-smart & were saving Joseph Randle; they'll re-sign him on Tuesday.  If they were keeping McFadden fresh by not making him active for the first 5 weeks, imagine how fresh Randle will be!

When would we know if McFadden is put on the active roster?  Doesn’t matter much to me as Morris was drafted and held by a Dallas fan in my league, just curious since DMC is my handcuff. 

I don't see any good reason why the Cowboys would go from making McFadden a healthy scratch for over a quarter of the season, and then throw him into the lead back role. Morris doesn't play special teams, and clearly looked better in the preseason than DMac. It isn't as if they thought a handful of carries over the course of the first 5 games was going to seriously jeopardize McFadden's health so they didn't dress him. You always want to bring your top backup to the game on Sundays. Especially given the fact that Morris ripped off a 70 yard run recently as well. DMac missed almost all of last year, has been a scratch this year, looked stiff as a board in the preseason... I just don't see it.
I don't see any good reason why the Cowboys would go from making McFadden they guy they were prepping for when life without EZE comes all summer and through the preseason and then go with Alf.  You say Morris looked better?   He was playing late into the fourth quarter while DMC was treated like a starter.  All preseason.  Was Morris' showing against non-stringers so impressive that the Cowboys scrapped their month long plans and had to get him in on gameday because he was the difference between winning and losing?  He's got 8 carries.  You'll see it when Zeke is suspended.

Many people were making this exact argument.  Personally, I think the Cowboys were being super sneaky-smart & were saving Joseph Randle; they'll re-sign him on Tuesday.  If they were keeping McFadden fresh by not making him active for the first 5 weeks, imagine how fresh Randle will be!
Grabbing him now! 

Randle better go snag himself some new underwear.

I don't see any good reason why the Cowboys would go from making McFadden they guy they were prepping for when life without EZE comes all summer and through the preseason and then go with Alf.  You say Morris looked better?   He was playing late into the fourth quarter while DMC was treated like a starter.  All preseason.  Was Morris' showing against non-stringers so impressive that the Cowboys scrapped their month long plans and had to get him in on gameday because he was the difference between winning and losing?  He's got 8 carries.  You'll see it when Zeke is suspended.
Jones told reporters on Sept. 12th, that Morris and McFadden were still in close competition for the #2 spot. Well... clearly Morris has been the guy active for every single regular season game. So, considering that Sept. 12th was after the preseason and those were Jones' words... clearly any theory of what their intentions were before that point doesn't matter anymore.

Pickup up McFadden. Don't need him now but worth the 5 bucks to see what happens.  (Morris was rostered, dropped ferguson) 

Jerry Jones loves DMC as they both attended Arkansas University.  Dropped Lacy for DMC.  Morris was already taken.  But it's a coin flip.

I'm surprised he started Zeke over him based on that.

I'm not trying to be mean or a Richard, but the Arkansas angle is utterly ridiculous and not true. It's what people who don't know anything about the Cowboys always  say. 

Since 1938, the Cowboys (who weren't even in the league until 1966,) have drafted exactly two players from Arkansas, Felix Jones (2008) and some dude in 1970. 

Jones told reporters on Sept. 12th, that Morris and McFadden were still in close competition for the #2 spot. Well... clearly Morris has been the guy active for every single regular season game. So, considering that Sept. 12th was after the preseason and those were Jones' words... clearly any theory of what their intentions were before that point doesn't matter anymore.
And then there was this on Sept. 14th from OC Linehan. (I'm sure this has been posted before so apologies if redundant).

"We were preparing Alfred before the thing with Zeke came final for the week," Linehan said. "He had taken a lot of reps with the first group to be honest with you, and we felt like he had earned that at that point.

"As it went on, we felt like he was earning his way based on how he played in the preseason," Linehan said. "It didn't have anything to do with we're happy with one or the other. We had to pick one."

http://www.cowboysfootball.com/news/2017/9/14/offensive-coordinator-scott-linehan-explains-why-cowboys-went-rb-alfred-morris-over

Morris has looked really good this year. McFadden honestly looked rigid and soft except straight line running in the preseason. So, Morris is clearly the guy. Right guys? Right? :loco:

Picked up both in all leagues I could thx to bot. Going to spend all day tomorrow texting my buddies in order to trade both since I am deep and doing well in all 4. *humble brag* Might be best play

Last edited by a moderator:
And then there was this on Sept. 14th from OC Linehan. (I'm sure this has been posted before so apologies if redundant).

"We were preparing Alfred before the thing with Zeke came final for the week," Linehan said. "He had taken a lot of reps with the first group to be honest with you, and we felt like he had earned that at that point.

"As it went on, we felt like he was earning his way based on how he played in the preseason," Linehan said. "It didn't have anything to do with we're happy with one or the other. We had to pick one."

http://www.cowboysfootball.com/news/2017/9/14/offensive-coordinator-scott-linehan-explains-why-cowboys-went-rb-alfred-morris-over
That's actually the first time that I read that. Thanks, man! That makes me feel even more comfortable with grabbing Morris in all 3 of my money leagues. :D

That should effectively end the Morris or McFadden debate.

WiDDoW_MaKeR said:
Not sure about that, but if it's an either/or choice on the waiver wire personally I'm going with the one the coaches chose.

Still likely to be timeshare, at least initially.

Not sure about that, but if it's an either/or choice on the waiver wire personally I'm going with the one the coaches chose.

Still likely to be timeshare, at least initially.
Maybe... but the Cowboys really like keeping one guy on the field as much as possible. I don't see a RBBC in any case. I can see Morris not dominating touches like Elliott, or being much more easy to turn to DMac if Morris is struggling and DMac comes in and looks better. However, I really don't see that happening. I think that Morris is going to flourish in that offense. I dare to say that he is going to be more effective that Elliott has been this year. Not that he's better, but I honestly think that Zeke planned on being suspended and didn't show up in shape and ready to roll this season.

Old, but just to add a little more uncertainty to this cluster ****...

Preseason usage suggests Darren McFadden will be the guy while Elliott is suspended, but Alfred Morris has looked like the better player through two games. That said, the Cowboys were shopping Morris during the offseason and had him working behind Rod Smith early in camp. McFadden looks like the player to own, but Morris is a name to remember in deeper formats. Aug 15 - 12:35 PM

WiDDoW_MaKeR said:
That's actually the first time that I read that. Thanks, man! That makes me feel even more comfortable with grabbing Morris in all 3 of my money leagues. :D

You're right. 

It's a committee lead by McFadden. That's why they've been healthy scratching the guy all year. Because they knew Zeke could potentially be suspended. They needed a backup to take a few carries a game and if McFadden had been hurt they'd be stuck with only Morris. Morris is zero in the passing game so their offense would be highly limited and predictable.

Strategy wise what are you doing?

if your team is sub 500

start the conversation with the 4-1 and 3-2 owners with the following lead:

1 nflpa fights on, you get to play him

2 even if nflpa doesn't fight, these owners can likely absorb the loss of the roster spot and get a fully healthy zeke at playoff time

What do you ask for in return?

if your team is sub 500

2 even if nflpa doesn't fight, these owners can likely absorb the loss of the roster spot and get a fully healthy zeke at playoff time

Not sure.  In redraft I offered Watkins, Snead, Coleman level and got laughed at.  Not sure what it takes to get him.

Not sure.  In redraft I offered Watkins, Snead, Coleman level and got laughed at.  Not sure what it takes to get him.
I'm 3-2. I have Hunt. I got offered Zeke, Hopkins, Jax D for Hunt, Thielen, Atl D in a 1 pt ppr. My other rb's are Martin, Kamara, Lynch. Do I do the trade. Guy is leaving it up there for one more hr.

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
I'm not trying to be mean or a Richard, but the Arkansas angle is utterly ridiculous and not true. It's what people who don't know anything about the Cowboys always  say. 

Since 1938, the Cowboys (who weren't even in the league until 1966,) have drafted exactly two players from Arkansas, Felix Jones (2008) and some dude in 1970. 
My response was sarcasm, making the same point.

I'm 3-2. I have Hunt. I got offered Zeke, Hopkins, Jax D for Hunt, Thielen, Atl D in a 1 pt ppr. My other rb's are Martin, Kamara, Lynch. Do I do the trade. Guy is leaving it up there for one more hr.
nope.  I don't see this as much of a downgrade from Zekes original value in redraft.  

You're right. 

It's a committee lead by McFadden. That's why they've been healthy scratching the guy all year. Because they knew Zeke could potentially be suspended. They needed a backup to take a few carries a game and if McFadden had been hurt they'd be stuck with only Morris. Morris is zero in the passing game so their offense would be highly limited and predictable.
Except for the fact that a Dallas coach & owner have said otherwise, I think you might be on to something.

Why would you if Zeke is likely suspended 6 games? He was already rusty and will be even more so when back. 

if your team is sub 500

I’m 4-1, Dynasty I’m holding tight until he gets back. I believe I can swing enough wins to pull it off.

Tex

You're right. 

You didn't read the article, did you?

The OC clearly stated that they were preparing Morris to be the starter week 1, if Elliot wasn't available. He went on to say that Morris impressed them, and earned the spot over McFadden.

Also, Zeke was only averaging around 3 receptions per game this year. So, I don't think the Cowboys are too worried about that. They don't run an offense that throws a lot of passes to the RBs.

Why would you if Zeke is likely suspended 6 games? He was already rusty and will be even more so when back. 
Taking the chance that he ends up being able to play and I would have only given up Hunt for Zeke, Hopkins and Jax D plus I think I can survive with Martin, Kamara and Lynch if Zeke does have to serve the 6. Do you think he serves the 6 this year? What does everyone else think?  What do your guts say?

Old, but just to add a little more uncertainty to this cluster ****...

Preseason usage suggests Darren McFadden will be the guy while Elliott is suspended, but Alfred Morris has looked like the better player through two games. That said, the Cowboys were shopping Morris during the offseason and had him working behind Rod Smith early in camp. McFadden looks like the player to own, but Morris is a name to remember in deeper formats. Aug 15 - 12:35 PM
That doesn't add more uncertainty. That was the previous thought early on in camp, and heading into the preseason. However, during camp, and through the preseason, Morris outplayed McFadden and impressed the coaches. In turn, they were preparing to start him week 1 without Zeke. Since that point, Morris has been active and impressive, and McFadden and been a healthy scratch.

I think that it's rather clear that Morris will be the starter, and he can take this job and run with it if he plays well. Of course, if he stumbles, it would be easy for DMac to overtake him.

Nick Vermeil said:
And ESPN dangling Rod Smith as a possibility. He’s likely free on your wire. 
What do we know about this guy? My Hawks Homer friend says he loved him as an UDFA. I grabbed him in deep dynasty. 

No one knows. For subscribers, the email going out was more confusing with positive and negative comments for each...including dangling rod smith as a possibility. May as well said, here is a depthchart, throw a dart.

I don't have any interest in McFadden or Morris. I happily let the other guys starved for a RB fight it out for them.

My only RB I handcuffed was K Hunt. 

PhantomJB said:

Fwiw this was originally in the Dallas Morning News.

- Good article, first time I've seen it.

I don't have any interest in McFadden or Morris. I happily let the other guys starved for a RB fight it out for them.

My only RB I handcuffed was K Hunt. 
People thinking one of these guys is going to replace Zeke's numbers are going to be sorely mistaken.  Wouldn't feel comfortable starting either.

Users who are viewing this thread