What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ezekiel Elliott, NE (6 Viewers)

Why do you suppose it takes a long time for most cases to hit the courts? I'm sure you're intelligent enough to figure that out. It's because of the backlog. People wait months and months to be heard in front of a judge. Now I understand you may have some interest in this, Cowboys fan. But if you take a step back and think about how silly this is that lawyers are running around looking for emergency hearings, you can join the rest of the sane people.
Those same cases can get emergency hearings if they have emergencies as well, right?

I am not a lawyer so maybe lawyers can answer this, but I don't think many guys making $13 an hour is getting their case up to this level of the court system.
Thus making the whole system stupid.  A guy that makes millions can get into the court every single day for 3 months but the average working = meh

Why do you suppose it takes a long time for most cases to hit the courts? I'm sure you're intelligent enough to figure that out. It's because of the backlog. People wait months and months to be heard in front of a judge. Now I understand you may have some interest in this, Cowboys fan. But if you take a step back and think about how silly this is that lawyers are running around looking for emergency hearings, you can join the rest of the sane people.
I get the feeling that you feel he's guilty. That's fine

What if you were accused of beating a woman? Would you exhaust every appeal to clear your name or just say "ah, #### it, I'm not appealing even though it's an option, let's get these other people's cases heard"?

Thus making the whole system stupid.  A guy that makes millions can get into the court every single day for 3 months but the average working = meh
Well one difference is that the average working man would be just as happy to sit at home and not have to work, if he expected to win his case, because he would still get back pay for the suspension time once the courts found in his favor, and would have been paid for an extended vacation.

Now if our $13/hour guy figured to capitalize on fame and endorsement deals related to his ability to accumulate stats during hours worked, which he would forever lose opportunity for should he be suspended pending trial, I'm willing to believe that the court would make a priority out of his case too (if he could pay the lawyers to file the paperwork fast enough).

I get the feeling that you feel he's guilty. That's fine

What if you were accused of beating a woman? Would you exhaust every appeal to clear your name or just say "ah, #### it, I'm not appealing even though it's an option, let's get these other people's cases heard"?
Nobody thinks he's guilty but this is freaking ridiculous.  We know you love him and would literally burn the court system down before having the cowboys season be damaged but c'mon.  

I just don't think it's that kind of court. A company would likely settle with you before spending this kind of money fighting it. The NFL is hellbent on making a point. 

I suspect strongly that it would be very difficult to get an emergency hearing if i needed one.
If you had emergency circumstances and had an appeal in the system, why not?

Well one difference is that the average working man would be just as happy to sit at home and not have to work, if he expected to win his case, because he would still get back pay for the suspension time once the courts found in his favor, and would have been paid for an extended vacation.

Now if our $13/hour guy figured to capitalize on fame and endorsement deals related to his ability to accumulate stats during hours worked, which he would forever lose opportunity for should he be suspended pending trial, I'm willing to believe that the court would make a priority out of his case too (if he could pay the lawyers to file the paperwork fast enough).
It's 6 weeks and the same rulings apply to elliott.  If the NFL was found wrong then he would be reimbursed.  

I just don't think it's that kind of court. A company would likely settle with you before spending this kind of money fighting it. The NFL is hellbent on making a point. 

If you had emergency circumstances and had an appeal in the system, why not?

Sorry if my boss suspended me for smoking marijuana, for example, i have trouble believing i would get through 5 different courts in 2 months fighting it...

I am an average person. If I had some kind of issue that was as big and important as Zeke, my union could do all of this for me. It's not Zeke that is doing all of this, it's the union. 

Nobody thinks he's guilty but this is freaking ridiculous.  We know you love him and would literally burn the court system down before having the cowboys season be damaged but c'mon.  
He's doing what his attorney is telling him to do.

Actually, the NFLPA is who filed for this latest deal. Go after them with your strange outrage about this 

He's doing what his attorney is telling him to do.

Actually, the NFLPA is who filed for this latest deal. Go after them with your strange outrage about this 
I'm actually not going after him at all...i said the system is ridiculous.  I could care less about him as a person

He can the same way a doctor or an engineer cannot be reimbursed for missing a project.  
Doctors have insurance and those companies have lots of $$$ and big law firms to settle cases and take care of their clients. I just don't understand your point. 

He can the same way a doctor or an engineer cannot be reimbursed for missing a project.  

It's 6 weeks and the same rulings apply to elliott.  If the NFL was found wrong then he would be reimbursed.  
Read my second paragraph.  Zeke stands to lose more than game checks.  Arguably a lot more.

Very few (any?) doctors or engineers perform "projects" at workmwhich contribute to a body of work capable of earning them lifetime of value based on how many they complete.  Apples to oranges.

My point is the UAW is waiting months to hear a court case on union actions.  The NFL/NFLPA/Players get to hear results from every court in the nation over a couple of months.  That's the point
If they have an emergency, couldn't they file just like Zeke? 

Mike Leslie ✔@MikeLeslieWFAA

We come out of #Cowboys open locker room session to find that Judge Failla has already denied the #NFLPA's motion for a stay of her order.

4:45 PM - Oct 31, 2017

Mike Leslie ✔@MikeLeslieWFAA

We come out of #Cowboys open locker room session to find that Judge Failla has already denied the #NFLPA's motion for a stay of her order.

4:45 PM - Oct 31, 2017
That seemed obvious, why would she change her ruling in <24 hours. Now they will appeal the other court. 

Let’s just say he was “dating” the women with the top. They spent time together after that incident.

Not sure about the fight.

I don’t know anything about this guy outside of this case and he’s a stud football player. Not a great guy? Maybe. But defending yourself in court doesn’t mean you are automatically a bad guy or you won’t grow as a person or whatever you are wanting from him here.
That guy is an Eagle Homer, preconceived ideas about Cowboys are his thang. Zeke wasn't in a bar fight, he was standing by one when it happened. Zeke was sleeping with the girl who he flashed. But don't let that get in the way of a good Eagle hatefest.

Makes a difference when millions of dollars is at stake.
Are there though?  I am a firm believer that he is going to serve six games at some point in time.  You could argue that fighting to have the suspension delayed is actually costing him money if he ends up serving later in the contract.

How so? How was it vague or conflicting when the OC stated that Morris earned the spot over McFadden?
Yeah, it was pretty clear that Morris had beaten out McFadden from the coach's comments before week 1.

That said, Dallas will likely go with whoever is more productive (maybe a hot-hand approach). My money is on Mo & he'll get the start, but he's not a lock.

Yeah, it was pretty clear that Morris had beaten out McFadden from the coach's comments before week 1.

That said, Dallas will likely go with whoever is more productive (maybe a hot-hand approach). My money is on Mo & he'll get the start, but he's not a lock.
Nothing is clear until they both show what they got.  I'm sure the Morris owners think they have the guy, so do the mcfadden owners. 

To your point, whomever plays better...plays more.  

My worthless opinion is that McFadden is a better player, better receiver, and better pass blocking back.  It might be something like Minny....murray is the ram (morris) and mckinnon the all around back.  For the record, I own them both

Thanks for the discussion!

Last edited by a moderator:
Except that you are ignoring the bigger precedence: Tom Brady. And that is the court that ruled on it.
I think there are 2 things here. One is the Brady case clearly set the precedent that the NFL has wide discretion here. However, with Zeke, they still have to prove he was treated fairly and within the scope of the agreement. I am assuming he stays suspended, but there is at least a sliver if chance he gets a stay. 

I think there are 2 things here. One is the Brady case clearly set the precedent that the NFL has wide discretion here. However, with Zeke, they still have to prove he was treated fairly and within the scope of the agreement. I am assuming he stays suspended, but there is at least a sliver if chance he gets a stay. 
You are right; there is a chance that he can get the 2nd circuit to grant a stay.  I think it's unlikely, but not impossible.  That being said, the NFL doesn't have to prove Zeke was treated fairly; he has to prove that he wasn't.  And that's going to be tough to do. 

I've posted the link to the Brady decision before, but in it, the 2nd said that the CBA grants Goodell very broad powers, and even if he makes factual or legal mistakes, they can't overturn his decisions, as long as he follows the CBA.  Even if the NFLPA can convince the 2nd that Goodell made a mistake in not considering their lead investigator's suggestion, or that he should have interviewed the ex-girlfriend, those are factual/legal mistakes, which they've already said aren't grounds to overturn his decision.  The NFLPA would, essentially, have to prove that Goodell didn't consider those things because he had it in for Zeke, and not that he merely made a mistake by not considering them.

You are right; there is a chance that he can get the 2nd circuit to grant a stay.  I think it's unlikely, but not impossible.  That being said, the NFL doesn't have to prove Zeke was treated fairly; he has to prove that he wasn't.  And that's going to be tough to do. 

I've posted the link to the Brady decision before, but in it, the 2nd said that the CBA grants Goodell very broad powers, and even if he makes factual or legal mistakes, they can't overturn his decisions, as long as he follows the CBA.  Even if the NFLPA can convince the 2nd that Goodell made a mistake in not considering their lead investigator's suggestion, or that he should have interviewed the ex-girlfriend, those are factual/legal mistakes, which they've already said aren't grounds to overturn his decision.  The NFLPA would, essentially, have to prove that Goodell didn't consider those things because he had it in for Zeke, and not that he merely made a mistake by not considering them.
Indeed, thank you. 

I love how Jerry Jones is such a butthurt hypocrite.   :lmao:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/10/29/jerry-jones-has-a-much-better-chance-to-derail-goodell-extension-in-may/

"That’s when, per a league source, owners voted 32-0 to authorize the Compensation Committee to enter into a new contract with Goodell. Jones, given the 32-0 vote, approved the measure. And if Jones wanted to oppose the vote in May, he would have needed only eight other owners to agree with him in order to block it."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/12/jerry-jones-supported-roger-goodell-after-tom-brady-suspension/ 

"While Patriots owner Robert Kraft criticized Goodell’s decision in Deflategate, Jones threw his support behind Commissioner Roger Goodell."

I love how Jerry Jones is such a butthurt hypocrite.   :lmao:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/10/29/jerry-jones-has-a-much-better-chance-to-derail-goodell-extension-in-may/

"That’s when, per a league source, owners voted 32-0 to authorize the Compensation Committee to enter into a new contract with Goodell. Jones, given the 32-0 vote, approved the measure. And if Jones wanted to oppose the vote in May, he would have needed only eight other owners to agree with him in order to block it."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/12/jerry-jones-supported-roger-goodell-after-tom-brady-suspension/ 

"While Patriots owner Robert Kraft criticized Goodell’s decision in Deflategate, Jones threw his support behind Commissioner Roger Goodell."
Not for nothing, but the way you CONSTANTLY whine and moan about deflategate makes me think Jones isn't the only one who's butthurt, amiright?

Not for nothing, but the way you CONSTANTLY whine and moan about deflategate makes me think Jones isn't the only one who's butthurt, amiright?
If you look at the Deflategate thread, there were literally hundreds of references to Spygate, which happened 10 years ago.  Maybe you should look in the mirror, and get over Spygate first.   :lmao:

After you get over Spygate, which happened 10 years ago, then you can complain about me bringing up Deflategate, which happened last year.  Amirite?

If you look at the Deflategate thread, there were literally hundreds of references to Spygate, which happened 10 years ago.  Maybe you should look in the mirror, and get over Spygate first.   :lmao:

After you get over Spygate, which happened 10 years ago, then you can complain about me bringing up Deflategate, which happened last year.  Amirite?
I'm not complaining, just pointing out that you can't seem to get over it.  It's not pathetic or pitiful at all.

How so? How was it vague or conflicting when the OC stated that Morris earned the spot over McFadden?
He didn't quite say that. And it was 2 months ago. And McFadden played ahead of Morris throughout the preseason. And last season. And coaches say a lot of things that late prove to be misleading or flat out untrue.

This is far from clear.  None of the so called insiders seem to feel certain about it. Heck Smith could be the guy.

Maybe you should point out how the Salty Haters can't get over something from 10 years ago.  That's not pathetic or pitiful at all.
Just stop. You can be a fan of any team in the league. There are 32 of them. You happen to choose to be the fan of the team who has been caught cheating on two separate occasions. Be mad at your team and not at the commissioner.

Guys stop arguing and start praying 

I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh

Just stop. You can be a fan of any team in the league. There are 32 of them. You happen to choose to be the fan of the team who has been caught cheating on two separate occasions. Be mad at your team and not at the commissioner.
Um, is that a Spygate reference?  Better watch out, Bayhawks gets snippy when you bring up stuff that happened last year.  He may go insane if you bring up something that happened 10 years ago.

:lmao:

You are doing the very thing that you are (correctly) labeling pathetic and pitiful.

All the childish insults you're slinging in here apply equally to you.
Well, there's a big difference between bringing up something that happened last year vs 10 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread