What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ezekiel Elliott, NE (2 Viewers)

zoonation said:
I was talking about camp. Not meaningless pre season games.   

We’ll see.  I think he signs this week.  He has no leverage. 
Zeke had all of the leverage and both parties have known that since Zeke went past the faux deadline in August. The cowboys were never willing to make him miss the whole season and everyone knew it.  They offered him the second biggest contract in the NFL and he went back to cabo. They gave him concessions just to get him back onto American soil.  One win or loss in the NFL is much more valuable to them than one pre-extension game check is to Zeke.  This "Zeke has no leverage" thing sure doesn't seem to be hurting him in his negotiations.  

Zeke had all of the leverage and both parties have known that since Zeke went past the faux deadline in August. The cowboys were never willing to make him miss the whole season and everyone knew it.  They offered him the second biggest contract in the NFL and he went back to cabo. They gave him concessions just to get him back onto American soil.  One win or loss in the NFL is much more valuable to them than one pre-extension game check is to Zeke.  This "Zeke has no leverage" thing sure doesn't seem to be hurting him in his negotiations.  
He only had leverage because the Cowboys were interested.  In other words his leverage was granted to him by the team.

If this ever went sideways and became hardball, Zeke had less than zero leverage.

Last edited by a moderator:
He only had leverage because the Cowboys were interested.  In other words his leverage was granted to him by the team.

If this ever went sideways and became hardball, Zeke had less than zero leverage.
That's exactly right.  He only had leverage because the cowboys needed him to sign soon more than he needed them to sign soon.  That's almost the definition of "leverage". 

So i guess i agree that without leverage he wouldn't have had leverage, but he had leverage because he did have leverage so he did have leverage. 

Thanks for pointing that out?

That's exactly right.  He only had leverage because the cowboys needed him to sign soon more than he needed them to sign soon.  That's almost the definition of "leverage". 

So i guess i agree that without leverage he wouldn't have had leverage, but he had leverage because he did have leverage so he did have leverage. 

Thanks for pointing that out?
I don't know what you are trying to spin here.

Guy was under the Cowboys heel for the next 4 years.

End of story.

The team deigned to do right by the guy.  

eta - good for him, I have always been for the team paying him.  But they absolutely had the ability to end his career if it went another way.

This could just as easily look like Gordon's situation.  Add another year of bleakness to that.

The team can simply say "nope".

travdogg said:
100% agree, and not just the Patriots. Eagles wouldn't, Chiefs wouldn't. 

If this costs them Amari Cooper and/or Byron Jones, they'll be much worse off than they would have been by letting Elliott walk. I think unless he completely faceplants this season, Dak is likely next.

ETA: This also sets a bad precedent for holding out with 2 years left on a deal. 
Wrong. I know this isn't a cowboys thread, but, I had to come back to this post.

They cowboys have been pretty successful with the number of players they have been able to keep. I dont think anyone saw the La'el Collins signing coming with a very team friendly contract. "No way they can sign that many first round draft picks to one position".  Guy was going to hit free agency next year with a big pay day, the Cowboys got in front of that. Much like they are willing to do with Zeke. Just take a look at dollars per year when his contract comes out (the right way) and compare that to what the franchise tag is, or what the best running back in the league is worth 3 or 4 years from now. 

Ditto Jaylon Smith. 

If you're lining up players to pick you choose Zeke, Cooper, Bryon, in that order. Maybe they cant keep everyone, but, they're keeping the best football player.  Period. They need a number 1 WR, we saw that last year, I'd bet they get it done as Cooper is already costing them 14 million.  There is no way they shouldn't be able to get that done.  If anyone is sacrificable its Byron. They'll try to get it done with the same approach, but, CB is the strongest position on the team right now. Well, except for RB and OL. 

The team is built around the OL and although they'd be good with a lot of different RBs they're down right dominating with Zeke. 

@RapSheet

The #Cowboys & RB Ezekiel Elliott agree on a 6-year, $90M extension that makes him the highest-paid RB in the NFL, sources tell me and

@SlaterNFL

. Roughly half guaranteed. In all, it's $103M over 8 years—the 1st Cowboy to eclipse $100M in total value, the richest RB contract.

Wow. Zeke takes Jerry to the cleaners.  
Only half is guaranteed.  The face of the franchise is signed for almost a decade. That is what Zeke gave up.

Good deal for the Cowboys.  They get the face of their franchise while keeping the O Line intact. 

The person who may get screwed IMO is Dak Prescott.  He has been the good soldier, but he may end up being the odd man out.    

I’d never pay an RB that kind of money for that term. 

No way Kraft would ever do this.  

Zeke's average salary over the past 3 years has been 6.2M.  Including the 2 years remaining on the current deal: 8 years total, 50M guaranteed.... $6.3M guaranteed a year with incentives?  

I don't think Jerry was taken to the cleaners on this one.  In fact, Zeke may have made some real concessions.  As much as you hear "record breaking money", that is without the other 2 years remaining on his current contract.  It is an extension, not a new deal. 

There are better number crunchers than me on this board.  Off hand, it doesn't seem overly rich to me (aside from the fact we are talking tens of millions of dollars)  

I wasn’t posting to you specifically.  Jesus.  Sorry for having a take!
you know jerry won superbowls right? he dont care about the money...he wants to win again before he dies.....the best way to do that is to have zeke playing. .....kraft....bb and brady have the perfect blend of voodoo...it wont be duplicated ever....i dont get siting them as an example of how its done....get the greatest coach and most clutch qb ever? cool sign everyone up

Cause at the end of the day, the one real leverage you have? You can just take your own body and say "No. Won't do it." And thus the crassest of spoon-fed labor nightmares sucked at the teat of the smiling oil oligarch, and all was fun in their testament in the desert, built for nowhere. 

you know jerry won superbowls right? he dont care about the money...he wants to win again before he dies.....the best way to do that is to have zeke playing. .....kraft....bb and brady have the perfect blend of voodoo...it wont be duplicated ever....i dont get siting them as an example of how its done....get the greatest coach and most clutch qb ever? cool sign everyone up
Not to mention Brady takes a cut on his salary because his wife makes so much that he doesn't need the money.  It allows NE flexibility at other positions other teams don't have. It is a poor comparable.  

Not to mention Brady takes a cut on his salary because his wife makes so much that he doesn't need the money.  It allows NE flexibility at other positions other teams don't have. It is a poor comparable.  
My problem with this rationale isn't that it's wrong per se but that it's dangerously close to conceding that everyone else is just playing for second place. Isn't a rookie QB contract somewhat "comparable"? Seahawks and Eagles have won that way...

what took so long on this deal? it seems like zeke got everything he wanted... was it just a matter of waiting for Jerry to cave?

My problem with this rationale isn't that it's wrong per se but that it's dangerously close to conceding that everyone else is just playing for second place. Isn't a rookie QB contract somewhat "comparable"? Seahawks and Eagles have won that way...
dominate oline running game plus pass rushing/solid defense while having a serviceable cheap qb seems like a good formula

So does ANYONE think Jerry continues to give Zeke 380 touches when he’s on the hook for between $63MM and $103MM over the next 8 years? 

Serious question. 

Surely they spread the workload around or risk paying $15MM/yr for mashed potatoes oozing downhill in the second half of this deal. 

Still need to see the specific details. Seems like a lot (and it is), but if the guarantees make it essentially a 4 year deal or so, then it may not be so bad. Also curious what outs/stipulations may be in there.

Still need to see the specific details. Seems like a lot (and it is), but if the guarantees make it essentially a 4 year deal or so, then it may not be so bad. Also curious what outs/stipulations may be in there.
Even a 4 year deal makes it the next 6Yrs at $63MM. 

350 Touches in 2016
425 Touch Pace in 2017 (10G at this pace)
380 Touches in 2018 

Methinks they’ve got to pull him back to 2016 levels or so. Maybe less. 

So does ANYONE think Jerry continues to give Zeke 380 touches when he’s on the hook for between $63MM and $103MM over the next 8 years? 

Serious question. 

Surely they spread the workload around or risk paying $15MM/yr for mashed potatoes oozing downhill in the second half of this deal. 
Jerry doesn't seem like the type that worries about "then" at the expense of "now". And the coaching staff has been on the hot seat for about three seasons now so they're going to ride their horses and not worrying about three years down the road either.

Even a 4 year deal makes it the next 6Yrs at $63MM. 

350 Touches in 2016
425 Touch Pace in 2017 (10G at this pace)
380 Touches in 2018 

Methinks they’ve got to pull him back to 2016 levels or so. Maybe less. 
That money is a sunk cost now. Why would they stop or encourage Garrett to do anything but run him?

Users who are viewing this thread