What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ezekiel Elliott, NE (5 Viewers)

Marcus Mosher@Marcus_Mosher

One NFL offensive coach ranked #Cowboys RB Ezekiel Elliott as the 11th-best RB in the NFL. "Very few breakout runs, doesn't look as strong anymore. Feels like he's about 60 to 70 percent of what he was."
I hate the anonymous part but don’t disagree with the assessment. Watching him play, he’s not the same dude. Speed is gone and the fire isn’t there as much. 

fruity pebbles said:
I hate the anonymous part but don’t disagree with the assessment. Watching him play, he’s not the same dude. Speed is gone and the fire isn’t there as much. 
I have him on a dynasty team and would move him for the right price. He's not Saquon or Christian. He's right in the tier with Kamara still, though. But the end is coming soon. I also don't disagree with the assessment, but what do I know about scouting? Everyone seems to still think very highly of him and his inferior interior numbers were refuted in a few articles I've read.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have him on a dynasty team and would move him for the right price. He's not Saquon or Christian. He's right in the tier with Kamara still, though. But the end is coming soon. I also don't disagree with the assessment, but what do I know about scouting? Everyone seems to still think very highly of him and his inferior interior numbers were refuted in a few articles I've read.
I think he has another 2 years of top production and then another year or two of RB2. It all depends what they do with Dak and how long they keep McCarthy. McCarthy tends to script his RBs out of the passing offense, but maybe he has evolved as he claims. You’ll want the RB in this offense regardless

Bracie Smathers said:
Marcus Mosher@Marcus_Mosher

One NFL offensive coach ranked #Cowboys RB Ezekiel Elliott as the 11th-best RB in the NFL. "Very few breakout runs, doesn't look as strong anymore. Feels like he's about 60 to 70 percent of what he was."
I didn't think he looked the same last year either.  His first couple years, he ran with a kind of reckless violence where you almost felt bad for anyone who had to try and tackle him.  While he still put up numbers last year, helped in big part by their soft schedule (4 games against NYG and Wash, and they played Miami early when the Dolphins were a disaster), he just didn't look like the same guy. 

LOL guy is 24 and people are throwing dirt on him. Meanwhile everyone can’t get enough of Derrick Henry, Nick Chubb, Ekeler, and Dalvin Cook

I have the # 4 pick in my re-draft half point PPR league and I am fairly certain that the first 3 picks will be: McCaffrey, Barkley and Mahomes (6 point passing TDs). Zeke seems like the obvious pick at # 4, but I am having reservations (thinking Kamara). Am I crazy for thinking about passing on Zeke at # 4 ??

I have the # 4 pick in my re-draft half point PPR league and I am fairly certain that the first 3 picks will be: McCaffrey, Barkley and Mahomes (6 point passing TDs). Zeke seems like the obvious pick at # 4, but I am having reservations (thinking Kamara). Am I crazy for thinking about passing on Zeke at # 4 ??
Passing on him for another RB would be crazy IMO

Trade back if that's what you want to do

Redraft I think I’d go Zeke and be pretty happy. 

LOL guy is 24 and people are throwing dirt on him. Meanwhile everyone can’t get enough of Derrick Henry, Nick Chubb, Ekeler, and Dalvin Cook
A coach ranked him 11th.  

No one threw dirt on his career.

Never seen any takes of Ekler being in the conversation.

Zeke has more miles on him than the short list you mention.

• Zeke - 1,169 carries
  • Henry - 804
  • Chubb - 490
  • Cook  - 457
For dynasty I'd go with Cook or Chubb over Zeke who is coming off Covid19 and has over double the mileage and has had at least one off-field incident with an NFL strike.  

A coach ranked him 11th.  

No one threw dirt on his career.
 Not the coach, people in here talking about a decline and he doesn’t have it anymore

And you are making the mistakes most posters do when someone mentions another name, missing the point. No one said specifically here about those players over Zeke (except you). People are hyped for Chubb, who looks like a 2 down back and is on his 4th? 3rd? Coach in 3 years. Cook who hasn’t stayed healthy one season. Henry who is also a 2 down back. And Ekeler is the hot name this offseason but a COP back. But a true bell cow, roughly the same age, with “mileage” (which show me a study that says mileage matters); no, everyone wants the shiny new toy

And coming off COVID? With no symptoms? If anything he’s a bump having already gotten it and is less likely to miss games as those who haven’t gotten it yet. 

Zeke has done everything right (aside from off the field for a few boneheaded decisions), and stayed healthy at the same time, but for some reason he’s a trendy fade. 

Not the coach, people in here talking about a decline and he doesn’t have it anymore

And you are making the mistakes most posters do when someone mentions another name, missing the point. No one said specifically here about those players over Zeke (except you). People are hyped for Chubb, who looks like a 2 down back and is on his 4th? 3rd? Coach in 3 years. Cook who hasn’t stayed healthy one season. Henry who is also a 2 down back. And Ekeler is the hot name this offseason but a COP back. But a true bell cow, roughly the same age, with “mileage” (which show me a study that says mileage matters); no, everyone wants the shiny new toy

And coming off COVID? With no symptoms? If anything he’s a bump having already gotten it and is less likely to miss games as those who haven’t gotten it yet. 

Zeke has done everything right (aside from off the field for a few boneheaded decisions), and stayed healthy at the same time, but for some reason he’s a trendy fade. 
No one knows the long-term implications of Covid.  No one has proven immunity so he doesn't get any bumps for having it.

I'd take Chubb over Zeke in dynasty every time, no mistake.  Why would I want a RB with three more years of wear and tear and a strike?  

No, not crazy to pass on him for a guy like Kamara or Henry.  I wouldn't though.... I think Zeke is the better pick.

No one knows the long-term implications of Covid.  No one has proven immunity so he doesn't get any bumps for having it.

I'd take Chubb over Zeke in dynasty every time, no mistake.  Why would I want a RB with three more years of wear and tear and a strike?  
Not 100% immunity, but the chances of him getting it again are much lower than if he never got it at all.  I'm not saying he's fully safe from missing games for Covid, but he's safER than those who didn't.

Do you have a link that supports this claim?
Yes, the number of people getting it twice is extremely low.  In fact, there's not even any confirmed cases of anyone getting it twice.  Also almost all doctors and scientists say its UNLIKELY to get it twice, and even if you do, symptoms are much milder.  Many also say you're not contagious on your second infection, if it even does happen.  There is an antibody immune response after having the virus, this is proven.  So yes, Zeke does have LESS (I'm not saying none) of a chance of contracting it a 2nd time than another player does of contracting it a first time.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/can-you-get-covid-19-twice-11589388593
https://elemental.medium.com/getting-the-coronavirus-twice-is-highly-unlikely-in-the-short-term-92929d979491
https://www.healthline.com/health-news/why-are-some-people-testing-positive-for-covid-19-again
https://globalnews.ca/news/7048408/coronavirus-questions/
https://globalnews.ca/news/6993706/antibody-immunity-test-coronavirus/
https://fortune.com/2020/05/19/coronavirus-twice-infectious-contagious/
https://www.euronews.com/2020/02/27/coronavirus-can-you-catch-covid-19-twice-euronews-answers
https://www.wired.com/story/did-a-woman-get-coronavirus-twice-scientists-are-skeptical/
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/can-you-catch-coronavirus-twice-you-ll-probably-be-immune-n1171976

Bracie Smathers said:

Because he is much better than Chubb? Again with the “mileage”... show me a study that says this matters. Just because you keep repeating this, doesn’t make it true. In fact, I recall reading on another site that there was a study that said it did not matter at all! The only study I recall reading was one that said with more carries, the incident of concussion increases, which makes sense, however this doesn’t take into account running style among other things. 

Also, Chubb had a significant injury in college, which there are numerous studies outlining the long term risks of arthritis following these kinds of injuries. 

Not to mention, how did Chubb do with an active Hunt? Report back to me on that one

I’ll take Zeke all day in this scenario, even with his “one strike,” which was minor in the big scheme of things

I certainly wouldn't trade the Zeke I have for Cook or Chubb straight up. Chubb is a free agent after next year and is splitting a backfield with Hunt this year. Cook has never been healthy all year. Thank you for the offer, but I'd tell you to at least include another bona fide player if you want to talk about dealing. I still don't think I'd take those guys in return as the centerpieces, and certainly not Cook.

I certainly wouldn't trade the Zeke I have for Cook or Chubb straight up. Chubb is a free agent after next year and is splitting a backfield with Hunt this year. Cook has never been healthy all year. Thank you for the offer, but I'd tell you to at least include another bona fide player if you want to talk about dealing. I still don't think I'd take those guys in return as the centerpieces, and certainly not Cook.
This guy gets it

Bracie Smathers said:

Because Zeke is flat out better in a better offense with no split backfield

This isn’t close

Because he is much better than Chubb? Again with the “mileage”... show me a study that says this matters. Just because you keep repeating this, doesn’t make it true. In fact, I recall reading on another site that there was a study that said it did not matter at all! The only study I recall reading was one that said with more carries, the incident of concussion increases, which makes sense, however this doesn’t take into account running style among other things. 

Also, Chubb had a significant injury in college, which there are numerous studies outlining the long term risks of arthritis following these kinds of injuries. 

Not to mention, how did Chubb do with an active Hunt? Report back to me on that one

I’ll take Zeke all day in this scenario, even with his “one strike,” which was minor in the big scheme of things
Chubb has played all games of his career.  Zeke has one of four seasons where he's played all games.

Zeke had one of the best if not the best O-Line in the game and benefited.  

Since you don't know about the improvements in Chubb's O-Line/coaches/supporting cast and think a strike and wear and tear makes no difference then ...

Chubb is better, stays healthy, hasn't been used enough, hasn't had a system/coach that is built for him till now.  I'm taking Chubb over Zeke any day and twice on Sunday but YMMV.   

Why would that matter? If anything it means most likely he won't miss games this season (assuming the NFL can pull this off).
Sigmund Bloom@SigmundBloom

Even when a player is clear of the virus, he may not be able to play football so quickly. Jonathan Drezner, a Seahawks team doctor who chaired the NFL-NFLPA task force on COVID-19:

Doc, do you honestly think that players are going to make the call? 

The NFLPA and the NFL will be in charge of installing protocols not some player saying 'trust me, everythings fine'.
What? If he no longer tests positive he will play.

I think we're grasping at straws here but will back out of this discussion because I find most people are too emotional when discussing Covid. I'm sure you'll want the last word and you can have it.

Chubb has played all games of his career.  Zeke has one of four seasons where he's played all games.

Since you don't know about the improvements in Chubb's O-Line/coaches/supporting cast and think a strike and wear and tear makes no difference then ...

Chubb is better, stays healthy, hasn't been used enough, hasn't had a system/coach that is built for him till now.  I'm taking Chubb over Zeke any day and twice on Sunday but YMMV.   
You realize Zeke still has a better OL right? And a better offense? And doesn’t have an equally good back in his backfield?

And you say he is better without giving a single reason for why (because there isn’t one)

But the funniest joke of an arguement you use is the 16 game fact. Zeke sitting in week 17 in 2016 and 2018 when fantasy championships are already decided is supposed to prove something? Or a one off suspension means he can’t stay healthy despite being the model of durability?

You realize Zeke still has a better OL right? And a better offense? And doesn’t have an equally good back in his backfield?

And you say he is better without giving a single reason for why (because there isn’t one)

But the funniest joke of an arguement you use is the 16 game fact. Zeke sitting in week 17 in 2016 and 2018 when fantasy championships are already decided is supposed to prove something? Or a one off suspension means he can’t stay healthy despite being the model of durability?
Its funny since Zeke fans have discounted everything.  

What? If he no longer tests positive he will play.

I think we're grasping at straws here but will back out of this discussion because I find most people are too emotional when discussing Covid. I'm sure you'll want the last word and you can have it.
Protocols haven't been established.  Someone not posting in a Zeke thread, a team doctor, Jonathan Drezner says players may face delays.  

Players have families and if they contract Covid they can die so it isn't about them it is about the other players and others who could be exposed within the organization. 

Protocols haven't been established.  Someone not posting in a Zeke thread, a team doctor, Jonathan Drezner says players may face delays.  

Players have families and if they contract Covid they can die so it isn't about them it is about the other players and others who could be exposed within the organization. 
You're saying that if the Browns had a 1 seed locked up (lmao) and sat Chubb in week 17 it is proof he can't stay healthy?

That's like saying that Chubb not being a starter for 16 games because the Browns played Hyde over him proves they don't trust him to carry a 16 game load. It's a ridiculous thing to dock any player for

PPR rank since entering the league on a per game basis

Zeke

2016: RB3

2017: RB3

2018: RB6

2019: RB5

Chubb

2018 (week 7 on only to discount weeks he wasn’t the starter): RB8

2019: RB11

”Chubb is Better” at what? Certainly not playing football

Games Missed for Injury

Zeke

2016: 0

2017: 0

2018: 0

2019: 0

Chubb

Huh. More for you to discount I guess

As a bonus:

Chubb’s PPG tank in 2019 from Week 10 on (Hunt’s return from suspension): RB22

But carry on

PPR rank since entering the league on a per game basis

Zeke

2016: RB3

2017: RB3

2018: RB6

2019: RB5

Chubb

2018 (week 7 on only to discount weeks he wasn’t the starter): RB8

2019: RB11

”Chubb is Better” at what? Certainly not playing football

Games Missed for Injury

Zeke

2016: 0

2017: 0

Chubb

Huh. More for you to discount I guess

As a bonus:

Chubb’s PPG tank in 2019 from Week 10 on (Hunt’s return from suspension): RB22

But carry on
I play FF not PPR crap.  

Doc, do you honestly think that players are going to make the call? 

The NFLPA and the NFL will be in charge of installing protocols not some player saying 'trust me, everythings fine'.
Yes but zeke is already over it. You have a good point if we're talking about someone getting it in the season and how soon they can return. But thats not what we're discussing here. Zeke recovered from this in June, he is not going to be possibly held out games 3 months later in september... You really think that's possible?

Yes but zeke is already over it. You have a good point if we're talking about someone getting it in the season and how soon they can return. But thats not what we're discussing here. Zeke recovered from this in June, he is not going to be possibly held out games 3 months later in september... You really think that's possible?
Everything is academic at this point since no one knows if we will have a season but if we do then no protocols have been established. 

it is speculation on top of speculating that we'll even have a season or that it will begin in September.  

Everything is academic at this point since no one knows if we will have a season but if we do then no protocols have been established. 

it is speculation on top of speculating that we'll even have a season or that it will begin in September.  
That's not what the discussion is about.  It's about IF there's a season, would Zeke be held out because he had Covid and recovered 3 months earlier.  That answer is no.  And he also has less of a chance of testing positive a second time.  So yes, in the land we are all in of "we are sharks looking for any advantage no matter how small", Zeke gets a bump as he's slightly less likely to miss games because of his prior diagnosis.

And he also has less of a chance of testing positive a second time. 
I know people love to say things along the line as "there is no definitive proof that herd immunity works" and/or "no proof that you can't get Covid-19 more than once" (which is technically true), but there has not been one confirmed case of anyone getting it a second time.

The thought that Elliot would not be allowed to play because he tested positive three plus weeks ago is laughable and is someone grasping at straws to try and come up with a reason to knock Elliot down. 

I know people love to say things along the line as "there is no definitive proof that herd immunity works" and/or "no proof that you can't get Covid-19 more than once" (which is technically true), but there has not been one confirmed case of anyone getting it a second time.

The thought that Elliot would not be allowed to play because he tested positive three plus weeks ago is laughable and is someone grasping at straws to try and come up with a reason to knock Elliot down. 
Agree 100 percent. It's easy to just throw the "we just don't know" safety statement out there rather than deal with the science of it. Even if it's the smallest edge in the world, it's still an edge that he got it now. 

Ezekiel Elliott rushed 22 times for 89 yards and one touchdown in the Cowboys' Week 2 win over the Falcons.

Elliott lost a fumble in the first quarter, leading to the Cowboys falling in a quick 20-0 hole on the scoreboard. But Dallas righted the ship after the opening frame, and Elliott was able to pound in a one-yard touchdown. He later had a second one-yard score called back only to see Dak Prescott punch it in on the next play. Prescott actually scored three short rushing touchdowns, so Elliott's day could've been much better if he'd gotten the ball more or scored on his prime touches. Elliott added six catches for 33 yards on seven targets. The receiving output through two weeks (9-64-1 on 11 targets) has certainly raised his floor. Elliott will be a top-five back next week against the Seahawks.

- Rotoworld

Ezekiel Elliott rushed 14 times for 34 yards and one touchdown in the Cowboys' Week 3 loss to the Seahawks.

Whenever Elliott touched the ball, it was costing the Cowboys winning percentage points. He only averaged 2.4 yards per carry behind an injured offensive line and only turned his 12 targets into 24 yards. It was his worst game of the young season, although still not a bad one for fantasy purposes. The Cowboys will be getting LT Tyron Smith back next week most likely, and Zeke should see more carries in better game script while hosting the Browns. He is in the conversation for the No. 1 overall spot on rest of season rankings.

Sep 27, 2020, 8:20 PM ET

Ezekiel Elliott rushed 12 times for 54 yards, adding eight catches for 71 yards in Dallas' Week 4 loss to Cleveland.

Elliott's box score could have been better, but coach Mike McCarthy failed to challenge a would-be touchdown punch up the gut in the final quarter, allowing Tony Pollard to vulture the score on the ensuing play. It was still the fourth straight game Zeke handled at least 20 touches, and his third straight with seven targets. He'll take the blame for a first-half fumble that allowed the Browns to go up by three scores, but Elliott is clearly in no danger of being replaced by Pollard, who he has now out-touched 93 to 12 on the season. Elliott will remain an elite RB1 in Week 5 against the Giants.

Oct 4, 2020, 5:54 PM ET

Week 1:  39 passes / 24 RB rushes (22 by Zeke)

Week 2:  47 passes / 24 RB rushes (22 by Zeke)

Week 3:  57 passes / 14 RB rushes (14 by Zeke)

Week 4:  58 passes / 15 RB rushes (12 by Zeke)

Yeah, sorry.  Even in today's NFL I don't think passing 72% of the time at a clip of 50.25 times per game is a winning recipe.  And admittedly they've faced some deficits due to plenty of mistakes (namely turnovers), but that's not a great excuse for Zeke seeing 14 and 12 rushing attempts the past two games.  Dallas needs to figure out a better way to keep that crap ### defense off the field more, and their performance and philosophy thus far isn't it. 

The sky is not falling, he was heavily utilized in the passing game yesterday.  And those are more valuable than rushes anyway.

if Zeke got that TD yesterday, which he was short by like an inch, we would have had a lot of happier owners including me 

Week 1:  39 passes / 24 RB rushes (22 by Zeke)

Week 2:  47 passes / 24 RB rushes (22 by Zeke)

Week 3:  57 passes / 14 RB rushes (14 by Zeke)

Week 4:  58 passes / 15 RB rushes (12 by Zeke)

Yeah, sorry.  Even in today's NFL I don't think passing 72% of the time at a clip of 50.25 times per game is a winning recipe.  And admittedly they've faced some deficits due to plenty of mistakes (namely turnovers), but that's not a great excuse for Zeke seeing 14 and 12 rushing attempts the past two games.  Dallas needs to figure out a better way to keep that crap ### defense off the field more, and their performance and philosophy thus far isn't it. 
It’s classic McCarthy though. I’m not at all surprised. He panics and completely abandons the run. Old dog same tricks.

Users who are viewing this thread