What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ezekiel Elliott, NE (2 Viewers)

Sorry, but can someone explain which judge is evaluating this case on Friday?
The one who saw the case tonight. 

Frank Cawley‏ @Frank_Cawley

Per Nash, Elliott plays week one. Judge was careful to make that clear re timing of court's ruling.

NFL arbitrator Harold Henderson has upheld Ezekiel Elliott's six-game suspension.

However, Elliott is still expected to play Sunday night against the Giants. Since the suspension appeal process wasn't finalized before 4 PM ET on Tuesday, the six-game ban is expected to be delayed until next week. The NFL allegedly admitted as much in court on Tuesday. This thing is far from over, and an intense legal battle between the NFL and NFLPA is just beginning. Elliott is awaiting ruling from Texas court on his temporary restraining order, which is expected Friday. If it's granted, Elliott could be available all year. There's a number of ways this could still go.

He gets an injunction granted on Friday or he doesn't.  If he does, could be and likely will be Brady all over again.  Where he may play all year depending on how fast it moves through the courts.  No injunction granted, its curtains and he serves the 6 games.  Why he can play week 1 is anyone's guess.  

mike fisher ✭‏Verified account @fishsports

Source: Judge Mazzant VERY TROUBLED by 'fundamental unfairness' of NFL approach in #EzekielElliott case. #Cowboys RB has real shot at TSO.

NFL arbitrator Harold Henderson has upheld Ezekiel Elliott's six-game suspension.

However, Elliott is still expected to play Sunday night against the Giants. Since the suspension appeal process wasn't finalized before 4 PM ET on Tuesday, the six-game ban is expected to be delayed until next week. The NFL allegedly admitted as much in court on Tuesday. This thing is far from over, and an intense legal battle between the NFL and NFLPA is just beginning. Elliott is awaiting ruling from Texas court on his temporary restraining order, which is expected Friday. If it's granted, Elliott could be available all year. There's a number of ways this could still go.
Thx for the clarity 

NFL arbitrator Harold Henderson has upheld Ezekiel Elliott's six-game suspension. Sorry people who drafted him
If anyone drafted him expecting him to play every game then that's a shame.  I only managed to draft him in one league and that was based on him missing 6 games.  I have a draft starting in 10 minutes and will once again treat him as missing 6 games.

I draft in 40 minutes in my stupid 14 team league that still does a snake with draft order not determined until 30 minutes before the draft.

With all the uncertainty (for me) after the top handful of RBs I'm still likely to roll the dice on Zeke early depending on my slot and his availability.

You'd hate to get in a hole if he misses weeks 2-7 but that's what the rest of your roster is for.  Upside is you have a top 3 RB for the stretch run and playoffs with a chance that you get him for the whole season depending on the court's ruling.

So now there are 3 possibilities:

1. Elliot plays Week 1, misses games 2-7, back week 9 (Nov 5) against Kansas City.

2. Elliot plays the entire year.

3. Elliot plays most of the year and the suspension kicks in later this season.

I think #3 is almost impossible. It's going to be #1 or #2, and based on the guys on TV I still am betting on #2. But we'll see.

I think this is worse for EE owners.  Substitutes an easier matchup (Redskins) for a tougher one (Giants).  If the suspension is again delayed, @ Broncos substitutes vs. Chiefs.

I draft in 40 minutes in my stupid 14 team league that still does a snake with draft order not determined until 30 minutes before the draft.

With all the uncertainty (for me) after the top handful of RBs I'm still likely to roll the dice on Zeke early depending on my slot and his availability.

You'd hate to get in a hole if he misses weeks 2-7 but that's what the rest of your roster is for.  Upside is you have a top 3 RB for the stretch run and playoffs with a chance that you get him for the whole season depending on the court's ruling.
It's 2-8. Cowboys have a bye in there. If the courts don't intervene we won't see him until week 9.

One positive for people drafting right now is that you can take zeke without having to worry too much about reaching for dmac to back him up.  When it looked certain zeke would miss 6, dmac was an attractive option for a lot of teams and someone picking him in the first 10 rounds wasn't out of the question.  I doubt that's happening now.

I think this is worse for EE owners.  Substitutes an easier matchup (Redskins) for a tougher one (Giants).  If the suspension is again delayed, @ Broncos substitutes vs. Chiefs.
It's a little tougher, but I have a feeling there will be no messing around by the Cowboys if they get close to the goal line...  with a possible extended vacation, I promise you that Zeke is getting a ton of carries and Jerruh would love to have Zeke run it up on the Giants.

mike fisher ✭‏Verified account @fishsports

Source: Judge Mazzant VERY TROUBLED by 'fundamental unfairness' of NFL approach in #EzekielElliott case. #Cowboys RB has real shot at TSO.
What I read as well from others sharing this, so other big named reporters find him credible, fwiw, which isnt much.

#Truth

Brian T. Smith‏ Verified account @ChronBrianSmith  18s19 seconds ago

Only the NFL could uphold its own suspension ... and allow Ezekiel Elliott to play Week 1.

Got the 4th pick.  Was actually hoping for top 2 or back end of 14 teamer.

I'm gonna have to take Julio but in a RB heavy scoring system I'd consider Zeke as early as 1.05.

About as shocking as when the Duke boys get away from Roscoe. 

Hopefully this ruling on Friday throws this thing into court.

Worst case is it just delays it and then he gets the suspension at end of the season.
If it's true his family and friends refused to meet with the investigator and Zeke refused to give his phone, he's screwed on Friday. 

This doesn't seem as blurry as what happened with Brady. 

Zeke got new phones and destroyed his old text messages!  I guess this means he is guilty.   :yes:

I'm just trying to apply the same logic used by Salty Haters vs. Brady.

http://deadspin.com/the-nfl-seems-to-have-punished-ezekiel-elliott-for-not-1798704936

"So why did the league come down hard on Elliott? During June’s hearing, Friel articulated eight factors the league viewed as a lack of cooperation on Elliott’s part, starting with the fact that Elliott said he bought two new cell phones last fall, after the new iPhone came out. Elliott said he didn’t know he had to keep the data (including text messages) that had been stored on his old phones. Update (5:11 p.m. ET): The NFL’s personal conduct policy does indeed state that a “failure to cooperate with an investigation or to be truthful in responding to inquiries will be separate grounds for disciplinary action.”

If it's true his family and friends refused to meet with the investigator and Zeke refused to give his phone, he's screwed on Friday. 

This doesn't seem as blurry as what happened with Brady. 
I'll leave it to the experts in here who have followed this way closer than I have but this has a lot of shady stuff done by the NFL.

This just deals with something much more serious than Brady and his stupid ball deflation. 

I'll leave it to the experts in here who have followed this way closer than I have but this has a lot of shady stuff done by the NFL.

This just deals with something much more serious than Brady and his stupid ball deflation. 
Exactly.  The basis for the Elliott/NFLPA suit is the shady process the NFL used.

If he didn't provide his phone though, it has to make the small handful of people who are interested in "the truth" (like me) pause and consider the likelihood of Zeke being guilty.

This is up to one man who wears a black robe, his decision and opinion is all that matters right now. 

By Friday at 5pm we will know if he can play this year or he wont, everything else is just to kill time. 

No way this is done by the end of the season if the judge grants the TRO. 

Somebody reputable (I don't remember who) said to follow @ WALLACHLEGAL for this case and he doesn't believe EE misses any time this year.  TIFWIW

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly.  The basis for the Elliott/NFLPA suit is the shady process the NFL used.

If he didn't provide his phone though, it has to make the small handful of people who are interested in "the truth" (like me) pause and consider the likelihood of Zeke being guilty.
Even if the NFL were to lose to Zeke on appeal, they could just turn around and give Zeke a new suspension for failure to cooperate instead.   :lmao:

It's mainly worse to me because you want his suspension, if he serves one, to be served during the non-bye weeks.

We didn't draft him with the belief Henderson would overturn suspension, we did so because we believe the lawsuit will drag the suspension over to the 2018 season.
I invested in him a good amount but I'm also a realist. He still has two big hurdles to jump. He's got to get granted an injunction by the courts and avoid being put on the commissioners exempt list. If he can pull both of those it's not a guarantee his case is not heard during the 2017 season. That's the risk, the reward is getting a top 3 fantasy player in round 2 or so.

Somebody reputable (I don't remember who) said to follow @ WALLACHLEGAL for this case and he doesn't believe EE misses any time this year.  TIFWIW
Guy has the goods...

Daniel Wallach‏ @WALLACHLEGAL  19m19 minutes ago

The tenor of this judge's questioning is reminiscent of how Judge Richard Berman put it to the NFL in #Deflategate. I expect same result.

Daniel Wallach‏ @WALLACHLEGAL  18m18 minutes ago

Never underestimate the comforts of home cooking. But I believe a SDNY judge (and CA2) would also have problems with NFL's tactics here.

Daniel Wallach‏ @WALLACHLEGAL  9m9 minutes ago

We learned 3 things tonight: 1. This case is staying in Texas 2. Elliott likely getting his TRO 3. This case going to the Fifth Circuit

Zeke got new phones and destroyed his old text messages!  I guess this means he is guilty.   :yes:

I'm just trying to apply the same logic used by Salty Haters vs. Brady.

http://deadspin.com/the-nfl-seems-to-have-punished-ezekiel-elliott-for-not-1798704936

"So why did the league come down hard on Elliott? During June’s hearing, Friel articulated eight factors the league viewed as a lack of cooperation on Elliott’s part, starting with the fact that Elliott said he bought two new cell phones last fall, after the new iPhone came out. Elliott said he didn’t know he had to keep the data (including text messages) that had been stored on his old phones. Update (5:11 p.m. ET): The NFL’s personal conduct policy does indeed state that a “failure to cooperate with an investigation or to be truthful in responding to inquiries will be separate grounds for disciplinary action.”
If I were in Zeke's position I don't think I would be turning anything over - couldn't he get himself into legal trouble?  This wasn't the case with Brady.  

Guy has the goods...

Daniel Wallach‏ @WALLACHLEGAL  19m19 minutes ago

The tenor of this judge's questioning is reminiscent of how Judge Richard Berman put it to the NFL in #Deflategate. I expect same result.

Daniel Wallach‏ @WALLACHLEGAL  18m18 minutes ago

Never underestimate the comforts of home cooking. But I believe a SDNY judge (and CA2) would also have problems with NFL's tactics here.

Daniel Wallach‏ @WALLACHLEGAL  9m9 minutes ago

We learned 3 things tonight: 1. This case is staying in Texas 2. Elliott likely getting his TRO 3. This case going to the Fifth Circuit
Is there info as to why he's likely getting his TRO?  Is this based on the tenor of the judges questioning or more just analysis of the case?

Sorry for what I'm sure is already been covered but this Goodell thing where he can put anyone on a list to not play like he did with AP. 

Doesn't that make this all for show? Why wouldn't that just happen here?

Don't think he's able to actually, but I forget what the reasoning was.  Think since there is no ongoing case against him?

Goodell's lifeline is obviously article 46 (key to Brady) which obviously gives him essentially the power to do whatever he wants - if not mentioned already.

Sorry for what I'm sure is already been covered but this Goodell thing where he can put anyone on a list to not play like he did with AP. 

Doesn't that make this all for show? Why wouldn't that just happen here?
Its been covered, no he cant in this regard. Judges ruling on Friday makes whatever Goodell would do useless anyways. 

A 21 year old guy getting the new iPhone (last year) doesn't seem like a big deal to me. From what @espnespn posted, he did provide his provide his phone but he got a new last year. 

Goodell's lifeline is obviously article 46 (key to Brady) which obviously gives him essentially the power to do whatever he wants - if not mentioned already.
Thats with punishment, not procedure. The judge seemed tot take issues with procedure, according to tweets. 

Users who are viewing this thread