What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ezekiel Elliott, NE (1 Viewer)

right, so you formed your opinion on who you find most credible, and I asked what sources those were in hopes of a link or something for me to educate myself on those "credible sources" to form my own opinion, but all you said was it's your opinion and referenced some mysterious attorneys that offered some good incite. still waiting if you have some information to pass along.

I suppose I could say, I have some pretty great information that says Zekes suspension is actually going to be lengthened. Based on credible information from those who know details. It's very likely to happen.
The sources I have are the same things everyone in here has been reading.  I gave my opinion that I find some more pertinent than others.  I'll try digging through these twitter feeds to find the things I thought we're most interesting.  No promises though, as it's a ton to go back through.

I never said I have great info or anything like that - as you are trying to make it sound.

Last edited by a moderator:
(1) may or may not be a bigger uphill battle than the others at this point. 
Oh, it is.  IF the judge follows the law, the case is over.  Article 46 of the CBA gives the commish the power to suspend players, at his discretion.  Case closed.

This has been upheld twice in the last few years in the Peterson & Brady case.  So, for the judge to allow the case to go forward, he is ignoring labor law that defers to collective bargaining, & he is ignoring legal precedent.  That is a much bigger hill then for the NFL to appeal on the grounds that the judge granting the injunction ignored multiple well-established legal precedents.

right, so you formed your opinion on who you find most credible, and I asked what sources those were in hopes of a link or something for me to educate myself on those "credible sources" to form my own opinion, but all you said was it's your opinion and referenced some mysterious attorneys that offered some good incite. still waiting if you have some information to pass along.

I suppose I could say, I have some pretty great information that says Zekes suspension is actually going to be lengthened. Based on credible information from those who know details. It's very likely to happen.
And for what it's worth, I've found https://twitter.com/WALLACHLEGAL to be the most convincing of anything I've read.  Again, just my opinion.

Oh, it is.  IF the judge follows the law, the case is over.  Article 46 of the CBA gives the commish the power to suspend players, at his discretion.  Case closed.

This has been upheld twice in the last few years in the Peterson & Brady case.  So, for the judge to allow the case to go forward, he is ignoring labor law that defers to collective bargaining, & he is ignoring legal precedent.  That is a much bigger hill then for the NFL to appeal on the grounds that the judge granting the injunction ignored multiple well-established legal precedents.
That's not necessarily true.  Depending on how you read the law and how you think the court should define Fundamental Fairness.

The sources I have are the same things everyone in here has been reading.  I gave my opinion that I find some more pertinent than others.  I'll try digging through these twitter feeds to find the things I thought we're most interesting.  No promises though.

I never said I have great info or anything like that - as you are trying to make it sound.
No, but you seemed confident. I've heard a lot of gloom and doom on this thread and it was surprising to see someone with such optimism. Had me curious... maybe I could steal away Zeke from his owner if there was something I hadn't seen.

I have been away from this thread due to it being ruined, as a couple of other threads have been as well. Hard to find decent information when nonsense is being spewed. So I'm a little behind the curve with recent information... Not trying to be combative, just curious why you seem so confident. 

That's not necessarily true.  Depending on how you read the law and how you think the court should define Fundamental Fairness.
If you read the law the way in which it has been interpreted by the courts, it is true.  If you argue that the judge will interpret those labor laws, and the definition of fundamental fairness DIFFERENTLY than courts have done so up to this point, then you may be correct.  It makes more sense to assume the courts will continue to interpret the laws the same way.

If you read the law the way in which it has been interpreted by the courts, it is true.  If you argue that the judge will interpret those labor laws, and the definition of fundamental fairness DIFFERENTLY than courts have done so up to this point, then you may be correct.  It makes more sense to assume the courts will continue to interpret the laws the same way.
Do I assume they will interpret the laws the same way? Yes.

Is this case different than any other case?  In some ways, yes.

I do think the TRO is very likely.  I think the likelihood of an injunction is probably in the 40-50% range. 

Do I assume they will interpret the laws the same way? Yes.

Is this case different than any other case?  In some ways, yes.

I do think the TRO is very likely.  I think the likelihood of an injunction is probably in the 40-50% range. 
In what ways, in your view, are they different?  Because the issue of fundamental fairness (the core of Zekes suit) isn't very different.  Brady made the same claim & the court ultimately said he was wrong.  Same issue in the other (non-NFL cases) Wallace cited.  So, let's talk about the differences; what are they, in your view?

In what ways, in your view, are they different?  Because the issue of fundamental fairness (the core of Zekes suit) isn't very different.  Brady made the same claim & the court ultimately said he was wrong.  Same issue in the other (non-NFL cases) Wallace cited.  So, let's talk about the differences; what are they, in your view?
The witnesses and evidence in Zeke's case are tough to ignore.  Thompson's statements to the NFL are the very crux of the allegations against Zeke.  Brady's claim was his case was fundamentally unfair because he didn't get to examine Pash.   But Jeffrey Pash's testimony to the NFL just doesn't compare in significance in Brady's suspension.  Brady lost his appeal because Pash was ruled to be "collateral" or a "non-essential" witness in Brady's case.  The argument here is that Thompson IS an essential witness in this case.

The witnesses and evidence in Zeke's case are tough to ignore.  Thompson's statements to the NFL are the very crux of the allegations against Zeke.  Brady's claim was his case was fundamentally unfair because he didn't get to examine Pash.   But Jeffrey Pash's testimony to the NFL just doesn't compare in significance in Brady's suspension.  Brady lost his appeal because Pash was ruled to be "collateral" or a "non-essential" witness in Brady's case.  The argument here is that Thompson IS an essential witness in this case.
Thompson is actually the only relevant witness in this case, other than Elliott.

Tom Pelissero ‏Verified account @TomPelissero  36s37 seconds ago

NFL filed response in Texas court in Ezekiel Elliott case today, again asking judge to deny TRO and dismiss case, or transfer to NY court.

Tom Pelissero‏ Verified account @TomPelissero  13s13 seconds ago

Response was to NFLPA motion yesterday. Judge has said he'll rule by 5 CT today on request for order that'd let Zeke play during court fight

Tom Pelissero ‏Verified account @TomPelissero  36s37 seconds ago

NFL filed response in Texas court in Ezekiel Elliott case today, again asking judge to deny TRO and dismiss case, or transfer to NY court.

Tom Pelissero‏ Verified account @TomPelissero  13s13 seconds ago

Response was to NFLPA motion yesterday. Judge has said he'll rule by 5 CT today on request for order that'd let Zeke play during court fight
So they asked already once? and are asking again? 

No, they aren't.  Did you read the letter the NFL sent to Zeke?  It very carefully states that the NFL's findings were based on "the entire record." Furthermore, it goes on to state that "the findings set forth above are based on a combination of photographic, medical, testimonial and other evidence that is sufficiently credible in the Commissioner's judgement to establish the facts, even allowing for concerns you and your representatives have advanced about the complaining witness's credibility."

So, Zeke is saying Thompson is an essential witness AFTER the NFL informed him that her testimony wasn't "the very crux" of their findings.  The medical records, photos, testimony of witnesses, etc were equal to Thompson's testimony (if not more important, when you consider them as a whole).

Again, neither the law, nor legal precedent is on Zeke's side.  If a judge ignores those, the NFL's grounds to win a appeal are quite good.

No, they aren't.  Did you read the letter the NFL sent to Zeke?  It very carefully states that the NFL's findings were based on "the entire record." Furthermore, it goes on to state that "the findings set forth above are based on a combination of photographic, medical, testimonial and other evidence that is sufficiently credible in the Commissioner's judgement to establish the facts, even allowing for concerns you and your representatives have advanced about the complaining witness's credibility."

So, Zeke is saying Thompson is an essential witness AFTER the NFL informed him that her testimony wasn't "the very crux" of their findings.  The medical records, photos, testimony of witnesses, etc were equal to Thompson's testimony (if not more important, when you consider them as a whole).

Again, neither the law, nor legal precedent is on Zeke's side.  If a judge ignores those, the NFL's grounds to win a appeal are quite good.
Of course that's what the NFL said.  Because they know that is the huge hole in their case.

Hopefully today we see how the judge feels about the importance of that kind of evidence in the case.

Just odd that you'd say what you said... given reliable sources it looks likely to happen... but then it's your opinion...
Of course Zeke's attorneys are going to paint a rosy picture. I don't know of any attorneys that have zero skin in the game, know all of the information in this case, and have offered incite.
That's two different posters now, so I can't leave it be. It's "insight".

Of course that's what the NFL said.  Because they know that is the huge hole in their case.

Hopefully today we see how the judge feels about the importance of that kind of evidence in the case.
They said that BEFORE the appeal, lawsuit, etc. 

Of course Zeke is gonna ignore that & pretend they suspended him for a different reason, because that is a huge hole in HIS case.  

They said that BEFORE the appeal, lawsuit, etc. 

Of course Zeke is gonna ignore that & pretend they suspended him for a different reason, because that is a huge hole in HIS case.  
Yes, but they knew the appeal would come and what the argument would be.  They weren't going to say, "Hey this is the most important part of our case and we are going to withhold this evidence."

Yes, but they knew the appeal would come and what the argument would be.  They weren't going to say, "Hey this is the most important part of our case and we are going to withhold this evidence."
So, even though the commish said "I'm suspending you based on this information," Zeke says "I choose to believe that you're suspending me based on this other information, and that's unfair!"  

And this is supposed to be a valid legal argument?  It's an extremely argument, made by Zekes team because the reasons the NFL gave for the suspension ARE valid & well within the authority of the commish under article 46.  So Zeke & his team are trying to argue against a straw man of their creation.  A judge should see through that, but if they don't, they are tossing a big fat meatball of a pitch down the heart of the plate for the NFL to crush in an appeal.

So, even though the commish said "I'm suspending you based on this information," Zeke says "I choose you're suspending me based on this other information, and that's unfair!"  

And this is supposed to be a valid legal argument?  It's an extremely argument, made by Zekes team because the reasons the NFL gave for the suspension ARE valid & well within the authority of the commish under article 46.  So Zeke & his team are trying to argue against a straw man of their creation.  A judge should see through that, but if they don't, they are tossing a big fat meatball of a pitch down the heart of the plate for the NFL to crush in an appeal.
That's really not a fair analysis of the situation.  It's more akin to Goodell saying I'm suspending you for X, Y, and Z and you don't get access to evidence Z (when some think Z is the most important evidence).

For an extreme example, it would be like the following:

Goodell has video of Zeke hitting girl.  Goodell has lots of other evidence not quite as good.  Goodell suspends Zeke without allowing anyone to review the video, only presenting the other evidence.

That's really not a fair analysis of the situation.  It's more akin to Goodell saying I'm suspending you for X, Y, and Z and you don't get access to evidence Z (when some think Z is the most important evidence).

For an extreme example, it would be like the following:

Goodell has video of Zeke hitting girl.  Goodell has lots of other evidence not quite as good.  Goodell suspends Zeke without allowing anyone to review the video, only presenting the other evidence.
That's not really an accurate analysis of the situation.

Its more like Zeke abused his girlfriend on separate occasions.  She took photos of her injuries, texted them to others, got medical attention, etc.  She's also a crazy broad, threatened to blackmail him, ruin his career, slept with his teamate, lied to police, changed her story, etc.  As a result of their inability to meet the legal burden of proof, law enforcement decided not to pursue charges.  The NFL isn't constrained to that same burden of proof, so they continued their investigation.  Their chief investigator interviewed the girlfriend, found her to be hard to believe & recommended no suspension.  Goodell decided otherwise, based on the photos, medical experts that said they believed abuse had occurred, the texts, etc that even though his primary investigator didn't believe the gf AND law enforcement dropped the case that he believed Zeke was involved in a domestic abuse situation, & decided to suspend him, which he is empowered to do by article 46 of the CBA. He sent a letter saying why he was suspending Zeke, emphasizing that it WAS NOT primarily based on the gf's testimony.  Zeke's legal team, knowing they have NO legitimate basis for appeal, claim that the real reason Zeke was suspended WAS the gf's testimony & sued that the process was unfair b/c they didn't get to question the main cause for his suspension.  The NFL couldn't compel her to appear, & didn't feel it was necessary since she WAS NOT the main basis for Goodell's decision (and based on the fact that the Brady case had established that not being allowed to question people DID NOT violate fundamental fairness).

That's not really an accurate analysis of the situation.

Its more like Zeke abused his girlfriend on separate occasions.  She took photos of her injuries, texted them to others, got medical attention, etc.  She's also a crazy broad, threatened to blackmail him, ruin his career, slept with his teamate, lied to police, changed her story, etc.  As a result of their inability to the legal burden of proof, law enforcement decided not to pursue charges.  The NFL isn't constrained to that same burden of proof, so they continued their investigation.  Their chief investigator interviewed the the girlfriend, found her to be hard to believe & recommended no suspension.  Goodell decided, based on the photos, medical experts that said they believed abuse had occurred, the texts, etc that even though his primary investigator didn't believe the gf AND law enforcement dropped the case that he believed Zeke was involved in a domestic abuse situation, & decided to suspend him, which he is empowered to do by article 46 of the CBA. He sent a letter saying why he was suspending Zeke, emphasizing that it WAS NOT primarily based on the gf's testimony.  Zeke's legal team, knowing they have NO legitimate basis for appeal, claim that the real reason Zeke was suspended WAS the gf's testimony & sued that the process was unfair b/c they didn't get to question the main cause for his suspension.  The NFL couldn't compel her to appear, & didn't feel it was necessary since she WAS NOT the main basis for Goodell's decision (and based on the fact that the Brady case had established that not being allowed to question people DID NOT violate fundamental fairness.
But the NFL went one fatal step further--it also denied Elliott's team access to the notes from the league's multiple interviews with Ms. Thompson. These interviews (and the notes therefrom) played a role in the league's decision to suspend Elliott for six-games under the NFL's personal conduct policy. 

Denying access to the notes is a violation of fundamental fairness.

But the NFL went one fatal step further--it also denied Elliott's team access to the notes from the league's multiple interviews with Ms. Thompson. These interviews (and the notes therefrom) played a role in the league's decision to suspend Elliott for six-games under the NFL's personal conduct policy. 

Denying access to the notes is a violation of fundamental fairness.
The notes that the NFL claimed were a part of the decision WERE in the Elliott report.

Just why is it taking all the way until the end of the day?  Is there really so much information that the judge is trying to review and cram it all into these last 85 minutes?  Can't he review all this stuff at home late into the night?  Shouldn't he already have made a decision by now?  I feel like the decision is being delayed just for the sake of being delayed.

I am not at all hopeful.

Just why is it taking all the way until the end of the day?  Is there really so much information that the judge is trying to review and cram it all into these last 85 minutes?  Can't he review all this stuff at home late into the night?  Shouldn't he already have made a decision by now?  I feel like the decision is being delayed just for the sake of being delayed.

I am not at all hopeful.
Because they want the least amount of people pissed as possible.  Friday during the commute home is the perfect time to drop any type of controversial news.  People are less angry heading into the weekend and less likely to read up about it. 

There were a bunch of interviews that were conducted where the notes were left out.
Which the NFL said weren't part of their decision & weren't necessary.

We keep coming back to the same point.  The NFL suspended Zeke & gave their reasons, which did not violate the CBA.  Zekes lawyers knew that, so they argued that the NFL lied about their reasoning (which there is no proof of), and you are choosing to believe Zekes side.  A judge doesn't have that luxury; they're supposed to go on facts.  Zeke is not basing his appeal on facts, but assumptions he has made that he can't substantiate.  If the judge rules against the NFL, the appeal should not be hard to win at all.

We keep coming back to the same point.  The NFL suspended Zeke & gave their reasons, which did not violate the CBA.  Zekes lawyers knew that, so they argued that the NFL lied about their reasoning (which there is no proof of), and you are choosing to believe Zekes side.  A judge doesn't have that luxury; they're supposed to go on facts.  Zeke is not basing his appeal on facts, but assumptions he has made that he can't substantiate.  If the judge rules against the NFL, the appeal should not be hard to win at all.
We understand the NFL will eventually win the appeal.  Most of us just want it to happen in the offseason.

The NFL picked which evidence to include and which evidence to leave out.  You can't see why that's a problem?

We understand the NFL will eventually win the appeal.  Most of us just want it to happen in the offseason.
This.  So many lawyers/armchair lawyers/wannabe lawyers.

I think we all understand that he will end up serving a suspension.  But we just don't want it to occur during fantasy playoffs, or even now, as it would be detrimental to making the fantasy playoffs.  We really just want the suspension pushed off to next year when then we will avoid him like the plague.  Many of us drafted him because we were taking a gamble that the suspension would be reduced/dropped/delayed.  It hasn't been reduced or dropped.  So now we are just hoping for a long delay.

Right, but hoping doesn't make it happen.  It's possible he gets the injunction, the NFL loses their appeal & he's on the field all season.  That's unlikely, IMO.  It would behoove owners to consider moving him, if he wins the injunction & they can get a big return.  If one believes that the injunction guarantees the whole season, they could bypass possible trades.

Personally, if I owned him, I'd hope for the injunction, a big game on SNF, then hope I can make a good trade, because I believe if he gets the injunction, he'll serve the 6 games late this year; i.e.-fantasy crunch time/playoffs.

I see exactly why that's a problem; you don't seem to see that it's not a violation of the CBA.
I do understand what you mean.  But there is an argument that it violates the CBA.

From the CBA:  "In cases where a player is not charged with a crime, or is charged but not convicted, he may still be found to have violated the Policy if the credible evidence establishes that he engaged in conduct prohibited by this Personal Conduct Policy.

"Credible Evidence" is the issue being argued here.  It makes her credibility a central issue. 

The NFL knows what Roberts knows, but Elliot does not.

I do understand what you mean.  But there is an argument that it violates the CBA.

From the CBA:  "In cases where a player is not charged with a crime, or is charged but not convicted, he may still be found to have violated the Policy if the credible evidence establishes that he engaged in conduct prohibited by this Personal Conduct Policy.

"Credible Evidence" is the issue being argued here.  It makes her credibility a central issue. 

Credible shmedible. Ultimately, it's already established that Goodell is allowed to do as he so pleases and there isn't a damn thing anyone can do about it.  

Just how long can Zeke delay the inevitable? 

Credible shmedible. Ultimately, it's already established that Goodell is allowed to do as he so pleases and there isn't a damn thing anyone can do about it.  

Just how long can Zeke delay the inevitable? 
This is true.  And Zeke is very, very likely to lose in the end.

But the bar isn't all that high to get a TRO and maybe even an injunction.  An injunction COULD push this suspension back an entire year.

And the person who is given the authority by the CBA to determine what evidence is credible is Goodell.  It's not fair, but it is what it is.  He decided what is credible, suspended Zeke based on that, & that information is in the Elliott report, according to the NFL.  If it's not in that report, he deemed it not credible.  If it wasn't credible, there was no need to give it to Zeke, therefore no violation.

And the person who is given the authority by the CBA to determine what evidence is credible is Goodell.  It's not fair, but it is what it is.  He decided what is credible, suspended Zeke based on that, & that information is in the Elliott report, according to the NFL.  If it's not in that report, he deemed it not credible.  If it wasn't credible, there was no need to give it to Zeke, therefore no violation.
Yeah this isn't correct.

The NFL may know but if they didn't use it it's not relevant.  If I interview for a job they will clearly know my age.  If they choose not to hire me for other reasons I can't slap them with a suit claiming age discrimination.

Users who are viewing this thread