What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ezekiel Elliott, NE (1 Viewer)

And the person who is given the authority by the CBA to determine what evidence is credible is Goodell.  It's not fair, but it is what it is.  He decided what is credible, suspended Zeke based on that, & that information is in the Elliott report, according to the NFL.  If it's not in that report, he deemed it not credible.  If it wasn't credible, there was no need to give it to Zeke, therefore no violation.
If RG provided all the evidence, there would be no case here.  But he withheld clearly relevant evidence.  Which raises a case that there may be a violation.  The bar for granting a TRO or injunction isn't as high as you are implying.  If the judge has reason to believe there may be a violation of Policy, he can grant the TRO.  This doesn't mean RG violated the policy.

The NFL may know but if they didn't use it it's not relevant.  If I interview for a job they will clearly know my age.  If they choose not to hire me for other reasons I can't slap them with a suit claiming age discrimination.
Do you know how many times this kind of situation has come up and they HAVE been slapped with a suit?  Just because they say it wasn't your age, doesn't mean it wasn't your age.

Do you know how many times this kind of situation has come up and they HAVE been slapped with a suit?  Just because they say it wasn't your age, doesn't mean it wasn't your age.
And without credible evidence to the contrary it gets thrown out.  And without initial credible evidence I don't get to just start digging around their records and personnel. 

I'm on the edge of my seat too, but will be shocked if the TRO is granted. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it happening. 
It will be granted...from what i heard this morning on the radio, someone close to the Judge, who has been in that courtroom many times through the years, knows the judge etc, said he'd be shocked if it's NOT granted. I think that's BS(I mean I guess that means it's okay to hit a woman). But it will be granted.

If RG provided all the evidence, there would be no case here.  But he withheld clearly relevant evidence.  Which raises a case that there may be a violation.  The bar for granting a TRO or injunction isn't as high as you are implying.  If the judge has reason to believe there may be a violation of Policy, he can grant the TRO.  This doesn't mean RG violated the policy.
The bar isn't as low as you seem to think it is.  He has to show irreparable harm (which in and of itself is questionable because courts tend to view monetary reimbursement for lost wages as "repairing harm"), AND he has to show a likelihood of winning the suit.  Since he'll likely lose, that seems to be a MAJOR obstacle.

The bar isn't as low as you seem to think it is.  He has to show irreparable harm (which in and of itself is questionable because courts tend to view monetary reimbursement for lost wages as "repairing harm"), AND he has to show a likelihood of winning the suit.  Since he'll likely lose, that seems to be a MAJOR obstacle.
Irreparable harm is pretty easy here.  Yes, courts usually consider monetary reimbursement as repairing harm, but not in the case with professional athletes.  It's common knowledge that an athlete's career is typically very short, so not allowing one to participate during this short period is harm that can't be repaired by money.  This isn't an accoutant with a 40 year career.

The good news is you and I don't get to decide.  The judge decides which one of us is correct.  Hopefully in less than 15 minutes.

For what it's worth, the judge doesn't have to release the Elliot ruling by 5 CST just because he said he would. He can release it when he wants. If it's not done by 5, it may be later.

Irreparable harm is pretty easy here.  Yes, courts usually consider monetary reimbursement as repairing harm, but not in the case with professional athletes.  It's common knowledge that an athlete's career is typically very short, so not allowing one to participate during this short period is harm that can't be repaired by money.  This isn't an accoutant with a 40 year career.

The good news is you and I don't get to decide.  The judge decides which one of us is correct.  Hopefully in less than 15 minutes.
It's common knowledge?  How so?  When has this happened so much to make it common knowledge?

It will be granted...from what i heard this morning on the radio, someone close to the Judge, who has been in that courtroom many times through the years, knows the judge etc, said he'd be shocked if it's NOT granted. I think that's BS(I mean I guess that means it's okay to hit a woman). But it will be granted.
The TRO has nothing to do with Elliott's guilt or involvement in the case, they would only grant it or not based on whether or not he got fair treatment under the agreement (CBA) between the parties.

It's common knowledge?  How so?  When has this happened so much to make it common knowledge?
Common knowledge that an athlete's typical career is short.

There is harm to not allowing a player to play, past the financial harm.  Many athletes do love the game.  And the career is short.

Last edited by a moderator:
The TRO has nothing to do with Elliott's guilt or involvement in the case, they would only grant it or not based on whether or not he got fair treatment under the agreement (CBA) between the parties.
Which he did, but seeing as how it's a Judge in Texas, and not granting the TRO would likely lead to death threats from Idiot Cowboy fans..

Albert Breer‏Verified account @AlbertBreer  4m4 minutes ago

More

Cowboys RB Ezekiel Elliott has been granted a temporary restraining order by a Texas district court, per court docs. He can play.

So do we get him all year? Need cliff notes. 
 That's the important question…  from what I read before they may be able to drag it out all year. But that depends on the lawyers, the judge, and the available court dates. 

Drafting tomorrow, I really wish this were more clear. 

This seemed inevitable...What's ironic is Jerry was so in favor of Brady's suspension, and I believe even commended the NFL for doing "the right thing". Now that it's one of his own..Why even have a CBA when all the players have to do is take it to court, and get TRO's?? That's so laughable...I really wish there was some accountability by these pro athletes and own up to what they did, instead of screaming "it's unfair, it's unfair". This is the new world we live in unfortunately.

The preliminary injunction means the NFL can appeal immediately.  This appeal would likely fail and this case would hopefully drag out for the entirety of the year.
Daniel Wallach‏ @WALLACHLEGAL

BREAKING: Ezekiel Elliott wins injunction from Texas court. NFL barred from imposing suspension for duration of lawsuit (likely all season).

This seemed inevitable...What's ironic is Jerry was so in favor of Brady's suspension, and I believe even commended the NFL for doing "the right thing". Now that it's one of his own..Why even have a CBA when all the players have to do is take it to court, and get TRO's?? That's so laughable...I really wish there was some accountability by these pro athletes and own up to what they did, instead of screaming "it's unfair, it's unfair". This is the new world we live in unfortunately.
you decided to not take the risk and didn't draft him?..lol

Fingers crossed!  I need some good news after watching Brady and Gronk screw the pooch and Kareem Hunt putting the hammer to my sorry team.

And the person who is given the authority by the CBA to determine what evidence is credible is Goodell.  It's not fair, but it is what it is.  He decided what is credible, suspended Zeke based on that, & that information is in the Elliott report, according to the NFL.  If it's not in that report, he deemed it not credible.  If it wasn't credible, there was no need to give it to Zeke, therefore no violation.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJPDFqcVAAEvKtQ.jpg:large

The NFL breached the CBA.

Pretty similar to the initial ruling in the Brady case, which was overturned.  The judge then overstepped his legal authority, as did this one. NFL will appeal. Zeke owners watch the legal steps taken next.  The appeal should be heard in TX, which is favorable for Zeke.  If it's moved (especially to NY), the idea of trading h might be worth considering.

Pretty similar to the initial ruling in the Brady case, which was overturned.  The judge then overstepped his legal authority, as did this one. NFL will appeal. Zeke owners watch the legal steps taken next.  The appeal should be heard in TX, which is favorable for Zeke.  If it's moved (especially to NY), the idea of trading h might be worth considering.
Everyone is aware that it's going to be an uphill battle from here.

As I stated earlier, the bar for getting this TRO and Injunction is not as high as you thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who cares? He's playing this year. That's all we wanted. It was a calculated risk that some of us (apparently not you) were willing to take and it paid off. Now its time to  :pickle:

Odds are great he plays all season , IF the NFL does not win on an appeal. 

We will probably have another day like this in a month where the appeals court 

renders a decision.  

I have been playing Fantasy football for now 25 years and honestly reading threads like this, sicken me to no end, and will make it be my last year in FF, I don't like what it's become. We have people in here(no doubt a majority much younger than I), that are perfectly fine supporting(drafting etc) a player that beats a woman, and wants nothing more than to see suspensions over turned SIMPLY because it helps their Fantasy football team. That's quite frankly, disgusting. This is what society has become as a whole though...don't get your way...sue. Those of you with kids, especially younger one's...how can you look them in the eyes, and excitedly exclaim "Zeke gets to play, Zeke gets to play", all because it MIGHT help you win a few $$ playing FF?? Is that the lessons we really want to teach them?? If it is for you, your moral compasses are severly broken, and I hope you sleep well at night.

Back in the day, Ray Lewis was accused of murder, and was also the best defensive player in the league..that didn't mean ##### to me. There is no way I was drafting him, on principal alone. My motto was, and is...citizenship before championships. Absolutely disgusting what fantasy football has done to the younger generation.

Everyone is aware that it's going to be an uphill battle from here.

As I stated earlier, the bar for getting this TRO and Injunction is not as high as you thought.
It's plenty high; a Texas judge ignored the law.  Why do you think the NFLPA filed the suit in TX before they had legal standing to do so?

I have been playing Fantasy football for now 25 years and honestly reading threads like this, sicken me to no end, and will make it be my last year in FF, I don't like what it's become. We have people in here(no doubt a majority much younger than I), that are perfectly fine supporting(drafting etc) a player that beats a woman, and wants nothing more than to see suspensions over turned SIMPLY because it helps their Fantasy football team. That's quite frankly, disgusting. This is what society has become as a whole though...don't get your way...sue. Those of you with kids, especially younger one's...how can you look them in the eyes, and excitedly exclaim "Zeke gets to play, Zeke gets to play", all because it MIGHT help you win a few $$ playing FF?? Is that the lessons we really want to teach them?? If it is for you, your moral compasses are severly broken, and I hope you sleep well at night.

Back in the day, Ray Lewis was accused of murder, and was also the best defensive player in the league..that didn't mean ##### to me. There is no way I was drafting him, on principal alone. My motto was, and is...citizenship before championships. Absolutely disgusting what fantasy football has done to the younger generation.
Good riddance , no offense 

Who cares? He's playing this year. That's all we wanted. It was a calculated risk that some of us (apparently not you) were willing to take and it paid off. Now its time to  :pickle:
He's playing for now; the risk of not being available in ff playoffs is very real.

well....bye

Not to bring politics into this but did you vote for Trump, just curious?

Odds are great he plays all season , IF the NFL does not win on an appeal. 

We will probably have another day like this in a month where the appeals court 

renders a decision.  
This is exactly right; if the NFLPA is able to keep the case in TX, Zeke could be available all year.  If the NFL gets it moved, he's likely out when you need him most.

Good grief.

Users who are viewing this thread