What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ezekiel Elliott, NE (2 Viewers)

I own Zeke in a couple league and don't in others, so I don't have a bias 1 way or another but I gotta ask; why is it that you simply take pleasure in the misfortunes of others?

Look, i get it... you get a small lotto ticket by not having to play zeke in week 12; but the fact of the matter is that a real life person is essentially losing his job for 6 weeks b/c of some unfounded claims against him. And someone with more power than he should felt is was necessary to dish out that punishment.

I would be going up against Zeke in a few leagues, so this helps me out there, but I still think it's a complete crock that he's suspended in the first place. 
Are you saying we should feel sorry for Zeke? In your heart of hearts, you don't think he was ever violent with that girl?

Are you saying we should feel sorry for Zeke? In your heart of hearts, you don't think he was ever violent with that girl?
Punishment should not be based on what Goodell thinks might have happened. Punishment should be based on facts. Goodell has already abused his authority in the Deflategate case, and now he's pushing his power to a new level with Elliott.

If you feel strongly that Elliott needs to be suspended for 6 games, that's fine. But for every guy like you, there's another guy who thinks 6 games is way too much. And more importantly, there are a hundred guys who think that the distraction is hurting the NFL brand, and there are several thousand guys who are going to turn off the TV because the resulting product on the field is utter garbage.

Finally.  And I'm a Cowboys fan.  Sorry, but I know a little something about unfortunate decisions by arbitrators and judges, and eventually you just have to deal with them.  The players collectively bargained for the authority of the commissioner concerning discipline and for arbitration to provide the vehicle for appeals.  It does sound like Elliott got an overlong suspension and a bit of a hatchet ruling from this arbitrator, but that happens.  Serve the suspension already and stop being a vexatious litigant.  Sorry for everyone's fantasy team, but hopefully you all made contingency plans long ago, as far back as draft day.   
I know this isn't an exact number but he stands to lose about $1.5 million. I think I'd pull just about every rabbit out of every hat I knew of to save that kind of money. His reputation is also on the line here too. 

Punishment should not be based on what Goodell thinks might have happened. Punishment should be based on facts. Goodell has already abused his authority in the Deflategate case, and now he's pushing his power to a new level with Elliott.

If you feel strongly that Elliott needs to be suspended for 6 games, that's fine. But for every guy like you, there's another guy who thinks 6 games is way too much. And more importantly, there are a hundred guys who think that the distraction is hurting the NFL brand, and there are several thousand guys who are going to turn off the TV because the resulting product on the field is utter garbage.
So...do you think he was ever violent with that girl?

I know this isn't an exact number but he stands to lose about $1.5 million. I think I'd pull just about every rabbit out of every hat I knew of to save that kind of money. His reputation is also on the line here too. 
Sure, that's fair and I haven't begrudged him the appeals.  But it seems time to move on now.  

I wanted to wait until the morning after to see who has said what and who said they predicted this...I see some people who have been wrong continuously are still wrong and continue to want to try to predict the appeal while saying they knew what would happen. The internet.

I love how people are convicting a man of domestic violence, a crime in which he was never charged with. The Judge Failia basically convicted him of such, a crime which she has not seen evidence and which he was not charged. She would have not seen the evidence as that would not have been admitted at this point. This is a ruling from a woman who had her mind made up, as many lawyers say, you do not put out a 20-some page ruling in 3 hours. Judges, they do what they want. You can agree or disagree with that, female judge has something to do with the ruling in my opinion.

To the people asking if we think he abused her, the irony is, how can you say he did when the courts and investigators who investigated the crime said he didnt? This is the world of the internet, believe what you want...not what is proven. Just like we see in todays political climate and now even in the courts, this isnt about the facts...its about what you want to believe. Then again, what players people like have always been somewhat political based off who they have on their fantasy team and who their favorite team is. What we think is irrelevant.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted to wait until the morning after to see who has said what and who said they predicted this...I see some people who have been wrong continuously are still wrong and continue to want to try to predict the appeal while saying they knew what would happen. The internet.

I love how people are convicting a man of domestic violence, a crime in which he was never charged with. The Judge Failia basically convicted him of such, a crime which she has not seen evidence and which he was not charged. She would have not seen the evidence as that would not have been admitted at this point. This is a ruling from a woman who had her mind made up, as many lawyers say, you do not put out a 20-some page ruling in 3 hours. Judges, they do what they want. You can agree or disagree with that, female judge has something to do with the ruling in my opinion.

To the people asking if we think he abused her, the irony is, how can you say he did when the courts and investigators who investigated the crime said he didnt? This is the world of the internet, believe what you want...not what is proven. Just like we see in todays political climate and now even in the courts, this isnt about the facts...its about what you want to believe. Then again, what players people like have always been somewhat political based off who they have on their fantasy team and who their favorite team is. What we think is irrelevant.
I love how people continue to be ignorant of the fact that this case has NOTHING to do with Zeke's innocence or guilt.  It is not a criminal case, it is a labor case.  Much of the disagreement in this thread has come from the fact that people continue to ignore that point.  This judge, from what I've seen of her decision, has not commented on Zeke's guilt/innocence, but you're (falsely) claiming that she convicted him of a crime.  Unless I missed something, there was no comment on his guilt/innocence in any part of her decision.  None of my posts in this thread have discussed his guilt or innocence, just his chances, as I saw them, in this civil suit about a labor issue.  Those posts were not based on my personal legal knowledge, but discussion I have had with people in the justice system (private lawyers, court clerks, state prosecutors, etc), although none of them work in the NY or TX/LA areas; I posted not because I love/hate Zeke (although I've had several people accuse me of being anti-Zeke, because I didn't ignore facts that weren't favorable to him), but so that Zeke owners could have as much information as possible when deciding about drafting, trading Zeke, trading for Zeke, or picking up/holding his back-ups.

This thread has sometimes turned into a contest to see who's right/wrong.  Someone sent me a private message last week about a post I made in a completely different thread where they said "you've been wrong in the Zeke thread, now you're going to be wrong in this thread," or something to that effect.  It's not about being right/wrong, it was about sharing what info I had (and I freely shared that this info was coming from people who were in the legal system, but not in either area where this case was being decided) so that FF owners who owned Zeke and/or were considering trading him/trading for him/picking up Morris or DMC, etc.  The constant throughout my posts was not "Zeke is guilty," but that Zeke will lose this case, eventually.  When his lawyers filed their suit in TX prematurely, I posted that that decision would likely be thrown out, because the NFLPA filed the suit before they had the right to do so.  That happened, eventually.  When the case got moved to SDNY, I said that it was bad for Zeke, as the 2nd circuit had already established their precedent in the Brady case, even though people constantly kept saying "those cases are nothing alike."  That happened last night, as Judge Failla said "the Second Circuit rejected an almost IDENTICAL (emphasis is mine) argument in Brady II."  None of this is to say "look at me, I was right," but rather to point out that in none of my posts, nor any of the decisions (made by the 2nd in the Brady case, the 5th in overturning the TX judge's decision, or Failla's decision last night) were about Zeke's innocence or guilt.  They were about what labor law says, and that is that the CBA gives Goodell very broad powers, and as long as he doesn't violate the CBA, HE gets to decide what evidence to consider when making his decision, HE gets to decide what evidence to ignore.

The 2nd could reverse Failla, I've posted that previously, because this case keeps going back & forth & seems to be "up in the air."  But, as of right now, it is most likely that Zeke will be suspended for weeks 9-14.

Looky, it is the guy who has consistently been wrong. Zeke got his 6 games, will it be over turned? I wont predict. I'm sure you will though, since its a safe prediction. Oh, labor case? LOL, clearly you have not read the judges ruling. A person with any legal degree can she she had an axe to grind about DV.

Looky, it is the guy who has consistently been wrong. Zeke got his 6 games, will it be over turned? I wont predict. I'm sure you will though, since its a safe prediction. Oh, labor case? LOL, clearly you have not read the judges ruling. A person with any legal degree can she she had an axe to grind about DV.
Again, here comes the "I'm right, you're wrong" nonsense.  Does it matter if I'm right or wrong?  At this point, whether I was right or wrong doesn't help Zeke owners.  He is suspended now.  The point about posting about the likely outcome previously was to give owners access to as much info as possible and allow them to make their decisions about what to believe/hope for as fully informed as possible.  If you thought I was wrong, ignore what I posted and make your decisions based on other information.  Why is that so complicated?

And I've read the decision, although it came out late, and it's early now, so maybe I missed something.  Please share any parts that you believe are her "convicting Zeke."

Cowboys fan here. I'm glad the suspension was upheld. I know we're talking about more than football here, but there's no way Zeke was getting out of it. 

My fear was having to serve it next season when Dallas has a better chance of making the Super Bowl. With the right draft picks & FA moves, the Cowboys are going to be really tough to beat next year with everyone on board.

I'd MUCH rather get it out of the way this season & give us a better chance at home field advantage next year when we'll be better (at least on paper).
Nobody cares about the Dallas Cowboys or any other "real" football team.

So he's going to prison now?

Goodell wins again (and the lawyers who racked up a bunch of fees). Players will probably always appeal but until the NFPLA redoes this deal they will lose every time.

Thought it sounded bad when one of the twitter reporters had this line of questioning coming out of the courtroom: “Don't think irreparable harm is at issue. Failla is trying to assess likelihood that Elliott will win case on merits to make her decision”

Everyone pretty much agreed that Zeke would ulitimatley lose.

Crazy last couple of months following this. At least that is done.

Ridiculous.  So he appeals, what's that mean? He has 24 hours to appeal? When will that be heard?

Hopefully this idiot mans up and just accepts his fate. If he had done that from the beginning, the suspension will be over and he'd be helping his team win by now. Instead, he's been a distraction all season and he still has six games to serve. When are these guys going to understand that it's okay to say I screwed up

Hopefully this idiot mans up and just accepts his fate. If he had done that from the beginning, the suspension will be over and he'd be helping his team win by now. Instead, he's been a distraction all season and he still has six games to serve. When are these guys going to understand that it's okay to say I screwed up
It was millions of dollars and his rep. Why wouldn’t he appeal?

Goodell wins again (and the lawyers who racked up a bunch of fees). Players will probably always appeal but until the NFPLA redoes this deal they will lose every time.
This. Reading the news reports regarding the verdict drives home the fact that the NFLPA signed a deal which has a very flawed appeals process.

The Judge's verdict seems to say, "Nobody ever said life was fair. You signed the CBA, Dummy."

Going to be interesting to see the fallout of this suspension regarding Goodell. Jerrah is unhappy. Other owners unhappy for other reasons. Goodell contract expires March 2019. Do they let Goodell become Lame Duck next year?

I'm sure he will try.  Don't think it will matter this time
This last appeal is like a Hail Mary according to the “experts”.

I was referring more to the question of why would he appeal the suspension from the very beginning after Goodell handed down the suspension.

Of course you would appeal for many reasons, no?

Feel sorry? No, I don’t think we should “feel sorry” for any professional athlete making millions. And as others have mentioned above, I don’t have enough info/ evidence to say he definitely did anything to that girl, so I won’t comment on that. However, apparently the police agree with that thinking as well as no charges were even filed. Regardless, all that is besides the point. 

I know this latest court ruling(s) are strictly whether the “process” was followed properly to issue Zeke a suspension, but it just bothers me that 1 person can wield so much power to where he can suspend people based solely on how he sees fit. IF Goodell somehow has damning evidence to warrant a suspension, then release it & send it to the authorities as well so they can file formal charges against him. 

However, if he doesn’t have any more evidence than what’s already out there (not enough to press charges), then he shouldn’t be able to pluck a player from making his money/ doing his job based on a hunch. 

The NFLPA screwed up and allowed this to happen. But I still don’t think it’s right nor do I feel they had thought about actions such as this when they agreed to the last CBA. 

Going to be interesting to see the fallout of this suspension regarding Goodell. Jerrah is unhappy. Other owners unhappy for other reasons. Goodell contract expires March 2019. Do they let Goodell become Lame Duck next year?
He already made an ### of himself with the deflategate stuff. Not a Pats fan and that was a big joke. He’s now pissed off 2 of the more powerful owners and the NFL for the first time in ages is losing some of its luster with fans, ratings are down. 

That being said I’d think he last for awhile still because the league overall is still a monster and making bank and majority of the owners like that he’s the punching bag instead of them.

This last appeal is like a Hail Mary according to the “experts”.

I was referring more to the question of why would he appeal the suspension from the very beginning after Goodell handed down the suspension.

Of course you would appeal for many reasons, no?
Sure it's worth a try.  Cowboys should have just had him serve b it to begin their season though.  Their record would have been about the same imo

Josina Anderson (and others) are reporting the Zeke camp is looking into possible conflicts of interest with Judge Failia in the appeal. She appears to have a close relation with someone who helped the NFL negotiate past deals.

Report yesterday was that his contract has been extended, despite Jerry’s objections.

It was millions of dollars and his rep. Why wouldn’t he appeal?
Hasn't there been like 6 appeals? I can see once. He's going to end up serving the suspension. All he's doing is being a distraction for his team. It would be aover now and they could start thinking about a playoff run. Instead, for the third or fourth time, the team doesn't know who should be running with the first team at practice because he may or may not be pushing back his suspension again. Serve the six games, think about why you're suspended to begin with, and become a better person. 

Hasn't there been like 6 appeals? I can see once. He's going to end up serving the suspension. All he's doing is being a distraction for his team. It would be aover now and they could start thinking about a playoff run. Instead, for the third or fourth time, the team doesn't know who should be running with the first team at practice because he may or may not be pushing back his suspension again. Serve the six games, think about why you're suspended to begin with, and become a better person. 
If he did nothing wrong, he should fight it.  If he did something wrong, but thinks he can beat the rap, legally he should fight it.  He shouldn't put the greater good of the team ahead of himself.  If he wasn't a stud (or when he stops being one), the team would cut him without hesitation.  Look at what happened to his teamate this summer (WR-can't remember his name).  He was accused of something, cut immediately (because he wasn't a stud), then shown to have been innocent of whatever he had been accused of.  If the team isn't going to put the players first, why should the players put the team first?

Anyone dropping? I'm in a short bench league (4 spots) Unless I get to the Semi's he's wasting 1/4 of my bench.  Luckily my bye's are mostly over.

Josina Anderson (and others) are reporting the Zeke camp is looking into possible conflicts of interest with Judge Failia in the appeal. She appears to have a close relation with someone who helped the NFL negotiate past deals.
Yeah, not going to happen. She's a federal judge, and she ruled correctly.  The CBA says that the Emperor has final say in discipline.--that is what is in question here, not whether or not Zeke beat someone.   Hard to prove a conflict of interest there.

If this suspension is upheld now that whole DJ and Zeke draft strategy really blew up in everyone's faces.  Figures, when something looks too good to be true it usually is.

If Jerry has any say, he will 

Wooooohooooo, this is so awesome because:

- I play vs. the Zeke owner in Week 12

- All the Cowboy fans who cheered when Goodell railroaded Brady now get a taste of their own medicine

- Jerry Jones supported Goodell in Deflategate, and now Jerry gets a karma kick to the head

#winning

:P
Oh, so now your obnoxious trolling makes sense now. You're a Patriots bandwagon fan

Hawkeye21 said:
If this suspension is upheld now that whole DJ and Zeke draft strategy really blew up in everyone's faces.  Figures, when something looks too good to be true it usually is.
I spent 75% of my auction draft budget on the combo, smh. I'm still hanging in at 4-4 though. Not dead yet. 

Roto put out this blurb, but be careful, because that is not what jones said.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said Alfred Morris will be the No. 1 running back while Ezekiel Elliott is suspended.
It makes sense considering Morris has been active ahead of Darren McFadden to this point in the season, but Jones did say both McFadden and Rod Smith will have roles. Morris is the best bet of the bunch, but McFadden is worth a speculative add in all leagues as well while Smith is worth a look in deep formats.
Related: Darren McFadden
Source: Jon Machota on Twitter Oct 31 - 10:00 AM

Here is the sourced tweet--
Jon Machota‏Verified account @jonmachota
Follow Follow @jonmachota

Jerry Jones on @1053thefan said Alfred Morris will get more carries but Darren McFadden and Rod Smith will get more work too
9:45 AM - 31 Oct 2017

I spent 75% of my auction draft budget on the combo, smh. I'm still hanging in at 4-4 though. Not dead yet. 
I had the first pick in a 10 team snake draft and thought I'd try it since Zeke was there for me.  I'm also 4-4 and in second place in my division so I'm doing alright yet.

JaxBill said:
This. Reading the news reports regarding the verdict drives home the fact that the NFLPA signed a deal which has a very flawed appeals process.

The Judge's verdict seems to say, "Nobody ever said life was fair. You signed the CBA, Dummy."
we already knew this after the Brady debacle.

Gottabesweet said:
Anyone dropping? I'm in a short bench league (4 spots) Unless I get to the Semi's he's wasting 1/4 of my bench.  Luckily my bye's are mostly over.
The thought has crossed my mind as I'm in a short bench league as well. I'm at 8-0 so I'm a lock for the playoffs at this point. It's just that Week 14 game that scares me. I can't drop him. The week 15 OAK matchup is money. The week 16 matchup against Seattle isn't. Guys like Aaron Rodgers were dropped in my league (it's a 2 QB league as well as short bench) even though he could potentially come back Week 15. So he could potentially sit there for a few weeks depending on what types of owners you have in your league. RB position is generally scarce, so someone will likely stash him until his suspension is over. I know David Johnson has been rostered all season in my league, so I would imagine Zeke would be scooped up.

JuniorNB said:
I wouldn't "man up" if I was innocent either.  Would you?

The thought has crossed my mind as I'm in a short bench league as well. I'm at 8-0 so I'm a lock for the playoffs at this point. It's just that Week 14 game that scares me. I can't drop him. The week 15 OAK matchup is money. The week 16 matchup against Seattle isn't. Guys like Aaron Rodgers were dropped in my league (it's a 2 QB league as well as short bench) even though he could potentially come back Week 15. So he could potentially sit there for a few weeks depending on what types of owners you have in your league. RB position is generally scarce, so someone will likely stash him until his suspension is over. I know David Johnson has been rostered all season in my league, so I would imagine Zeke would be scooped up.
I agree, I get Rodgers, he's injured and if they lose, he likely sits, I wouldn't feel confident starting him off injury.  Zeke will be well rested.  I'm 5-3 so I'll hold for a bit for a potential Semi Final matchup.  8/12 make the playoffs so I'd have to win one game to start him.  That matchup is tasty.

although if a guy like Murray went down, I wouldn't hesitate to drop Zeke for Henry if he was available.  Rest up for Oakland Zeke.

Why would anyone drop?? Is the appeals process over??? 
He has 24 hours, as of the ruling last night to appeal. It's unlikely there would be a ruling on that appeal before Sunday, but it doesn't look promising at all. I suppose there is some hope. If anybody was going to drop, I would imagine it would be after the final appeal is lost. 

JuniorNB said:
I’m no expert so this may be a bit off but my understanding is Zeke’s lawyers first jumped the gun and got the suspension put on hold in court that was in Texas. That was overruled by the New Orleans court. Then ultimately the ruling yesterday that was delayed by a judge’s vacation.

Reading the NFL’s investigation they definitely did some things I would consider shady if this were me. They sent an investigator to interview the women who is accusing him of this, that investigator said she was unreliable. 

The Columbus police did not charge him.

All that being said I don’t think Zeke was wrong in his response here. If this were me I would have fought it as well.

I don’t know how we say this impacted the team one way or another. He certainly has been performing very well. I haven’t heard any teammates say a word about this. 

What also needs to be taken into account is the  NFLPA probably encouraged him to fight this in response to what they feel is overreach by Goodell.

Users who are viewing this thread