What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Biggest Individual sports chokes (1 Viewer)

Kyle Williams fumbled 2 punt returns that cost the 49ers the NFC Championship game in 2011. I think that was worse than Bostick.

I do recall a Memphis player in like the elite 8 maybe seven or eight years ago had two free throws at end of regulation down one point and he bricked them both. I'd put that up there.
Donyell Marshall bricked two free throws against UF in 1994 East Regional finals. Either would have won it, iirc. Sent it to OT where UF crushed them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jean van de velde is the most painful I've ever seen. Just a complete choke on the last hole. From tee to green (although he made a good Putt to get in the playoff).

Buckner and bostick I kind of disregard b/c they were involved in just one weird play.

Gary Anderson hurts like hell but it wasn't like it was a shank.

Favre's int vs the saints off his back foot really hurts and Id put that up there.

I do recall a Memphis player in like the elite 8 maybe seven or eight years ago had two free throws at end of regulation down one point and he bricked them both. I'd put that up there.

Nonetheless, in terms of just pure choking nothingbeats van de veldes 18th hole.
Not sure why that matters. He missed a chip shot field goal in the NFC championship game after being perfect on the season. Clearly a choke.
The Vikes made so many mistakes before the missed FG. Trying to score from deep in their own territory right before the half. Running out of bounds more than once on their last drive while trying to run out the time. Etc. It was a team choke and other than the Houston/Buffalo 35-3 game, the worst I have ever seen in the playoffs.

2006: Tony Romo botches a FG hold vs. the Seahawks in the NFC wildcard playoff, which loses the game for the Cowboys and leads to Bill Parcells retiring from coaching.

2007: Romo throws a pick in the end zone, sealing the Cowboys' loss vs. the Giants in the divisional round of the playoffs.

2008: Romo with 3 turnovers as Dallas loses to the Eagles 44-6, thus missing the playoffs.

2009: Romo again turns the ball over 3 times and takes 6 sacks in a humiliating 34-3 loss to the Vikings of all teams, in the divisional round of the playoffs.

2010: Romo again lets his team down, breaking his clavicle and gets placed on IR.

2011: In another win-and-in playoff scenario in week 17, Romo loses to the Giants 31-14. Romo fakes a hand bruise so that he would have an excuse. The Giants go on to win Super Bowl XXXXVII, and mockingly dedicate their season to Romo's ineptitude.

2012: Romo finishes 8-8, missing the playoffs again.

2013: At a time when his team needed him the most, Romo is placed on IR with a "back injury". The Cowboys go on to lose in week 17 to the Eagles, missing the playoffs for the 4th straight season.

2014: In the divisional round of the playoffs, Romo and the Cowboys were defeated by the Green Bay Packers 26-21. Romo played flat and uninspired football, taking two key sacks in the 4th quarter when he easily could have gotten rid of the ball. During the postgame press conference, Romo mocks the reporters in attendance, answering questions with both middle fingers extended, and at one point dons a sombrero and fake mustache, for reasons undetermined.

2006: Tony Romo botches a FG hold vs. the Seahawks in the NFC wildcard playoff, which loses the game for the Cowboys and leads to Bill Parcells retiring from coaching.

2007: Romo throws a pick in the end zone, sealing the Cowboys' loss vs. the Giants in the divisional round of the playoffs.

2008: Romo with 3 turnovers as Dallas loses to the Eagles 44-6, thus missing the playoffs.

2009: Romo again turns the ball over 3 times and takes 6 sacks in a humiliating 34-3 loss to the Vikings of all teams, in the divisional round of the playoffs.

2010: Romo again lets his team down, breaking his clavicle and gets placed on IR.

2011: In another win-and-in playoff scenario in week 17, Romo loses to the Giants 31-14. Romo fakes a hand bruise so that he would have an excuse. The Giants go on to win Super Bowl XXXXVII, and mockingly dedicate their season to Romo's ineptitude.

2012: Romo finishes 8-8, missing the playoffs again.

2013: At a time when his team needed him the most, Romo is placed on IR with a "back injury". The Cowboys go on to lose in week 17 to the Eagles, missing the playoffs for the 4th straight season.

2014: In the divisional round of the playoffs, Romo and the Cowboys were defeated by the Green Bay Packers 26-21. Romo played flat and uninspired football, taking two key sacks in the 4th quarter when he easily could have gotten rid of the ball. During the postgame press conference, Romo mocks the reporters in attendance, answering questions with both middle fingers extended, and at one point dons a sombrero and fake mustache, for reasons undetermined.
:lol: At the broken clavicle bit.

The botched snap would be the only one I'd put into this discussion.

Tiger Woods attempt to win 19 Majors. :D Getting ready to crank up another majorless season. Missing tooth and all.

Scott Norwood - Wide Right (1991)
I put this one on Levy as much as Norwood. 40+ yd field goals wee not such a sure thing in those days. Buffalo should have triied to pick up another first down...
So with all due respect to the 91,92,93 and 94 Bills. A great team in the history of the NFL no doubt about it but second place 4 straight years!!!

As great as they were. That is a choke job. Not winning one Super Bowl in 4 straight tries. And they never even kept the games close on their next 3 tries after losing by one point on their first trip.
Didn't Scott Norwood miss a field goal at the end of the game that cost them the game against the Giants in 1990?

ETA. went back thru thread and already mentioned earlier WIDE RIGHT

Isiah Thomas V Celts...just had to make in inbounds pass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_RJ5XN8TK8
Huge blunder by Thomas. First everything was way too rushed, second all he had to do was throw it to the other end of the court. As best the Celtic would be launching a half court shot. Watch that play in slow mo..Bird looks like he stepped OB.
I used to suspect that some sort of fix was in on this , but eventually I realized that Laimbeer would have had to been in on it too. I mean he backs away from the inbounds pass towards his own basket. Just dumb play all around by the pistions. I never noticed the Bird possibly stepping out of bounds things, but that just adds to my anger towards this event.

Big Tony in my rec softball league. Down a run, bases juiced, one out, last of the 7th in the Championship game, and he bounced into the rare softball DP.
:lol:

That happened right in front of me once.

I'm on deck, one out in the 7th, bases loaded, we're down by 2, the fence is ridiculously short (about 220 ft), I'm 3 for 3, and the guy in front of me hits into a weak double play to end it, :o :cry:

1) Norman and 2) JvdV are the worst two I've ever seen. Golf exposes this in a way no other sport can IMO.

Norman gets the nod because he was actually one of the GOAT golfers.

wdcrob said:
1) Norman and 2) JvdV are the worst two I've ever seen. Golf exposes this in a way no other sport can IMO.

:goodposting:

I don't even think of most of these as chokes, just normal unfortunate events happening at the worst possible time. People miss free throws and long-ish field goals all the time, they bobble catches and blow leads all the time. Watch enough sports and sometimes those normal events happen at the worst time possible. What you never ever see are professional golfers making triple bogeys when they could just play it ultra-safe off the tee and down the hole, three-putt and still win. Most weekend duffers could make a double-bogey on a par 4 most of the time, even one with water, if they knew that's all they needed and adjusted accordingly.

Norman's was a little more reasonable IMO, he didn't really screw the pooch until it became clear that Faldo was making a run and he couldn't just play for pars (he was only one over after 8, and if he'd parred out from there he would've ended up in a playoff). Still it was pretty clear this wasn't just a few bad shots happening at the worst possible time, it was a mental collapse.

Greg Norman in the 1996 Masters is the worst I've ever seen.
This one. Drawn out over many holes. Painful to watch.
He just crushed the course on Thursday, leader after all three rounds, led by six going into Sunday, 7th place was 10 shots back. It was setting up as an epic wire-to-wire destruction of Augusta and the opposition.

And then Sunday happened. Faldo shot 67 in Norman's group, but it wasn't a flurry of early birdies tightening the score. On holes 9-12 where the wheels came off for Norman bogey-bogey-bogey-double, Faldo was par-par-par-par.

Six shots up going into Sunday, and lost by five. Norman shot 78, and that was with birdies on three of the par-5s.
And then there's the backstory to Norman's Masters drought. In '86, Jack Nicklaus shot a 30 on the back 9 on Sunday to finish one shot ahead of Norman (and Kite) despite Norman's 4 birdies on 14-17...and a bogey on 18. Then the following year Larry Mize hit the most amazing shot to ever win the event in a playoff vs. Norman (link) as Norman watched on in despair. In '89 he needed a par to force a playoff or a birdie to win on the final hole and bogeyed the hole. After that he went into a funk for a few years, missing the cut. Then in '95 he came back strong, finishing 3rd. After 3 rounds in '96, it *finally* looked like Norman would break through and end his nightmares at Augusta.

That's what made the '96 final round collapse so amazing. Here was this golfer who was so snake-bitten at the Masters, leading by a half-dozen shots, so sure to win on a course of horrors for him. Just when you thought he had suffered the worst on Sundays at this course, he shows us all that we hadn't seen anything, yet.

1982 NCAA Men's Basketball Championship

With slightly over a minute to go, Floyd scored to put Georgetown on top, 62-61. During the ensuing timeout, Smith predicted that Georgetown would heavily guard Worthy and Perkins and drew up a play that would work the ball around to Jordan and then met Jordan's eyes and told him to not be afraid to shoot if he was open. When the ball was worked around, Jimmy Black found Jordan on the left wing, and he rose and hit a jumper with 17 seconds to go to put Carolina back on top, 63-62. Georgetown did not call timeout but immediately pushed the ball up the court. However, guard Fred Brown mistook Carolina's James Worthy for a teammate and passed the ball right to his opponent. Worthy was fouled with 2 seconds to go. He missed both free throws, but with no timeouts left (Georgetown coach John Thompson, in a questionable move, used his last one before Worthy's free throws rather than save it to set up a final play) the Hoyas' last desperation shot fell short.

wdcrob said:

:goodposting:

I don't even think of most of these as chokes, just normal unfortunate events happening at the worst possible time. People miss free throws and long-ish field goals all the time, they bobble catches and blow leads all the time. Watch enough sports and sometimes those normal events happen at the worst time possible.
like the packers?

Nick Anderson.

Those 4 free throws in the Finals. They crushed him for the rest of his career. Top of my head - 80% FT shooter before, like 30% FT after. :lmao:
Anderson's FT% plunged all the way down from .704 the season of those Finals to .692 the season after.
:lol:
Nice cherry picking.. try the rest of his career. :thumbdown:

He admitted as much in an interview at some point that he was never able to get it out of his head at the line.

Soul crushing choke.

Donyell Marshall bricked two free throws against UF in 1994 East Regional finals. Either would have won it, iirc. Sent it to OT where UF crushed them.
If the Memphis one is the one I am thinking of, I believe it was in the Conference-USA championship game, which meant an NCAA berth was on the line.

Users who are viewing this thread