What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

AirBNB - anyone use it? (1 Viewer)

Evilgrin 72

Distributor of Pain
Thinking of using this service for the first time to offset the ridiculous cost of going to Paris. Seems like you can get a studio apartment in a prime area for FAR less than a hotel room would cost, even with the cleaning and admin fees added in. Anyone use this regularly? Thoughts?

I also saw something that said I can get a current user a credit for referring me or something, so if someone who uses this on the regs wants to give me an e-mail address, I'm happy to say you referred me if it gets you a few free shekels.

Thinking of using this service for the first time to offset the ridiculous cost of going to Paris. Seems like you can get a studio apartment in a prime area for FAR less than a hotel room would cost, even with the cleaning and admin fees added in. .
I've been doing the exact same searches. :unsure:

When are you going?

:lmao:

Honestly, I don't travel out of state all that much and my wife is in the hotel business and gets us free rooms almost everywhere we go. I haven't paid for a hotel room in 5 years. Paris is just really freaking expensive - $300+ per night for an even halfway decent room near a metro stop. I'm seeing studios about 2 minutes from the Seine with a washer/dryer (huge, because then I can pack half the clothing and do a load of laundry midway through my trip) for more like $125/night.

Got a nice place in Santa Monica just blocks from the ocean for less than half what I would have paid for a best western in the area.

This sounds like the way to go. Also, looks like if someone e-mails me an invite, I get a $25 credit and so will you, so PM me if you want to be my huckleberry.

we got signed up for free for a home-exchange site... and trying to figure out how to make this work. already got 4 requests to swap our pad in NYC for apts in and around Paris this summer. Free housing would be good for me- might allow us to actually afford the tickets, which are summer-time steep. My mom has been doing swaps for the last 6 years of her house in CA with a nice loft in Chelsea here in NYC- has worked great for her.

I'd imagine the downside, especially the first time, is that you don't really know the people coming to stay in your place... I am thinking of the :e: thread about what people do in hotel rooms.

I can't believe how much cheaper this is. I guess when you don't have the overhead of renting/owning and staffing an entire building, plus aren't subject to VAT/local taxes, you can make a lot more off a lot less.

AirBNB is better than VRBO (or HomeAway - same company I think), IMO, for the kind of travelling I like to do.

Typically get what feels like a place I would live in, as opposed to the stale feeling I get a VRBO place.

we got signed up for free for a home-exchange site... and trying to figure out how to make this work. already got 4 requests to swap our pad in NYC for apts in and around Paris this summer. Free housing would be good for me- might allow us to actually afford the tickets, which are summer-time steep. My mom has been doing swaps for the last 6 years of her house in CA with a nice loft in Chelsea here in NYC- has worked great for her.

I'd imagine the downside, especially the first time, is that you don't really know the people coming to stay in your place... I am thinking of the :e: thread about what people do in hotel rooms.
Yeah, I'd never host, I'm way too anal about having people in my house. I don't even like having my family there if I'm not around.

Check Norwegian Airlines for flights - you probably have to lay over for a few hours in Oslo or Stockholm or something, but the fares I've seen if your dates are somewhat flexible are insane compared to the major carriers. I'm going to be flying into Munich through Oslo and out of Copenhagen, so I'll have to get from Paris or Amsterdam to Copenhagen on the day of departure. Pain in the ### to be sure, but we're talking $500pp round trip. Next cheapest fare I saw was close to $2,000pp.

Use VRBO all the time. Have secured some great deals in beautiful units.
I've actually used VRBO in the past to rent beach houses for a week or two, but Airbnb seems to have more of what I'm looking for in this case. I'd only heard of it, but had never used it before now.

Have a buddy that uses it in Miami. He made $1200 last month just letting people crash on his couch for the night.

We used it for 2 rooms in Italy and had a great experience. Highly recommended.

Yeah, I'd never host, I'm way too anal about having people in my house. I don't even like having my family there if I'm not around.

Check Norwegian Airlines for flights - you probably have to lay over for a few hours in Oslo or Stockholm or something, but the fares I've seen if your dates are somewhat flexible are insane compared to the major carriers. I'm going to be flying into Munich through Oslo and out of Copenhagen, so I'll have to get from Paris or Amsterdam to Copenhagen on the day of departure. Pain in the ### to be sure, but we're talking $500pp round trip. Next cheapest fare I saw was close to $2,000pp.
I'll look into it- thanks!

yeah- we're looking at the 2k figure too... with 4 of us makes roughly 456k.

layovers with our still young kids (3 and 7) doesn't sound so hot though.

Have a buddy that uses it in Miami. He made $1200 last month just letting people crash on his couch for the night.
After his divorce, a gb of mine here in NYC was continuing to rent a large 2br loft for when his kid stayed with him 1 week of the month. the other 3 weeks, he'd rent it out and find himself a smaller and cheaper spot also through AiRbnb... made some good money on that arrangement, but had to live bouncing around and out of his "home" too much.

Yeah, depending on where you're going, it may not work for you. I didn't mind at all because I have about 5 hours each in Oslo and Copenhagen, which is just enough time to put my carry on in a locker and take a train from the airport into the city for a couple of hours, grab a meal, take a few photos, then back to the airport. Both cities have high-speed trains that run from the airport every few minutes and have you downtown within 15 minutes.

Looking at using them for a Los Angeles trip in late August/early September for a big three day event. Just myself and the event is in Reseda.

I'm really liking the pricing options I have for a private room in Reseda. Any other areas nearby I could look at? (sorry for the slight hijack).

Looking at using them for a Los Angeles trip in late August/early September for a big three day event. Just myself and the event is in Reseda.

I'm really liking the pricing options I have for a private room in Reseda. Any other areas nearby I could look at? (sorry for the slight hijack).
I've heard there's a place there called Chez LaRusso that's lovely.

AirBNB is better than VRBO (or HomeAway - same company I think), IMO, for the kind of travelling I like to do.

Typically get what feels like a place I would live in, as opposed to the stale feeling I get a VRBO place.
The main reason they are different is because VRBO/Homeaway charges a fee for their renters to list and AirBNB is free to list. Your typical VRBO/Homeaway rentals are vacation properties being represented by professionals, while AirBNB rentals could be amateurs fumbling their way through making a few extra bucks. Id guess the big cities are prime locations to find good deals.

:lol:

Good luck pushing the wagon after getting picked up.

And just a point of clarification for some folks.

AirBNB has a few options.

1) Sleep on someone's couch

2) Sleep in a bedroom with the host present

3) Have the entire house/apartment to yourself just like any other vacation rental

I think this would be cool, but I'm guessing there's not a high demand for houses my neck of the woods. :lol:

How does that work? They just put you on a map and you're free to make offers? Id look for cheap airfare first and go from there.

The main reason they are different is because VRBO/Homeaway charges a fee for their renters to list and AirBNB is free to list. Your typical VRBO/Homeaway rentals are vacation properties being represented by professionals, while AirBNB rentals could be amateurs fumbling their way through making a few extra bucks. Id guess the big cities are prime locations to find good deals.
Yea, I know this. I was just relaying a personal opinion about the benefits of each

interesting.

that's the same deal with the home-swap site we're using (annual fee to use). a lot of the houses are pretty luxurious and appear to be 2nd or third houses. not sure our tiny dump in NYC is going to have too much appeal.. but who knows.

:lol:

Good luck pushing the wagon after getting picked up.
ALL RIGHT, POP IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Used it up in NYC in November and got a nice 2 Bed, 2 Bath, with kitchen cheaper than I would have paid for a room at a hotel. Was hit and miss trying to get a couple booked but once I finally found one and booked, it was no problem getting in and out. Good experience.

fwiw- my BIL showed up with his 3 kids here in NYC to his airbnb apartment... only to find that the address given was an empty lot. got his money back, but was ####ed in terms of where to stay for the weekend he was here. let me rephrase that... WE were ####ed as to where he stayed.

fwiw- my BIL showed up with his 3 kids here in NYC to his airbnb apartment... only to find that the address given was an empty lot. got his money back, but was ####ed in terms of where to stay for the weekend he was here. let me rephrase that... WE were ####ed as to where he stayed.
This is the only kind of #### that concerns me.

supposedly very rare.

but yeah- showing up in Paris to a scam would suck.

too many variables to make this kind of statement, IMO. my wife and I stayed in a place in Oregon that could've been featured on MTV Cribs. It was insane.

supposedly very rare.

I already mentioned to EG an issue I had in the middle of a booking, but this is a good opportunity to mention that if you have an issue, AirBNB gives you a 24 hour number to call...but what if you've just arrived and you haven't turned on international calling on your cell because you expected to get by with communicating with people over email or Whatsapp through wifi? So you might want to have a backup plan, or go through the site and find out how you can contact someone locally, before you head across the ocean.

Oh and definitely get your hosts number so you can text/coordinate arrival/departure through Whatsapp once you can get on wifi. They all use it in Europe.

supposedly very rare.

The one place I wouldn't want to have that happen. Overpriced hotels, don't speak the language, never been before, etc... Yikes. That would be a GD nightmare.

supposedly very rare.

I already mentioned to EG an issue I had in the middle of a booking, but this is a good opportunity to mention that if you have an issue, AirBNB gives you a 24 hour number to call...but what if you've just arrived and you haven't turned on international calling on your cell because you expected to get by with communicating with people over email or Whatsapp through wifi? So you might want to have a backup plan, or go through the site and find out how you can contact someone locally, before you head across the ocean.

Oh and definitely get your hosts number so you can text/coordinate arrival/departure through Whatsapp once you can get on wifi. They all use it in Europe.
Two REALLY good points in bold. I have absolutely no intention of taking my phone out of airplane mode the entire time I'm over there. I don't really need phone, I don't call anyone as it is.

Only used it once, in San Diego last year. Got a house that slept 6 that was 100 ft from the main block in Little Italy for a great deal. It was not very luxurious but the location and price were unbelievable, the farmer's market was literally outside of our front door. Great experience, highly recommend. It seems like AirBnB is revolutionizing lodging the way Uber did with taxi rides. +1 for technology.

I don't know if it would clutter up the thread too much but maybe people could link some of the great houses/apts/rooms they have stayed in that they would give the fbg seal of approval.

I was just looking into shared economy resources for a work related trip to Baltimore later this week. I chickened out looking at so many peoples basements. I guess I should look again.

Rick James said:
the moops said:

too many variables to make this kind of statement, IMO. my wife and I stayed in a place in Oregon that could've been featured on MTV Cribs. It was insane.
:shrug: I have used both probably 1/2dozen times each. And as I said, just my opinion, but AirBNB places felt more homey and less hotel like. Not every time, just the majority. They both have their places, but if it is just me and my wife and our kids, I tend to search AirBNB first, VRBO second because of past experiences

Evilgrin 72 said:
Thinking of using this service for the first time to offset the ridiculous cost of going to Paris. Seems like you can get a studio apartment in a prime area for FAR less than a hotel room would cost, even with the cleaning and admin fees added in. Anyone use this regularly? Thoughts?

I also saw something that said I can get a current user a credit for referring me or something, so if someone who uses this on the regs wants to give me an e-mail address, I'm happy to say you referred me if it gets you a few free shekels.
I just booked an 1 bedroom apt in may for 10 days 100 CAN a night

I used airbnb for london as well and now looking at rome

if you still need a reference pm me or any questions ask away

El Floppo said:

let me know how this works out for you , ive been looking at a couple of sites to join for home exchanges

El Floppo said:
Evilgrin 72 said:
El Floppo said:

That's an expensive flight.

Users who are viewing this thread