What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2024 Golf Thread, pick up the pace, HCP be a changing *** (3 Viewers)

belljr

Footballguy
See the old one is getting updated. Might as well start fresh

FORE!!!

Last edited:
Just started playing last August...Took myself from the mid 100s to the mid 90s in a few months, only to have a few blowup rounds in December...waiting for the snow to clear to get back out there, but took the first of five lessons last week. Looking to be in the low 90s, high 80s by the end of the year.

No rounds yet. :(

unwrapping my big moss putting green this week.

Purchases on the list for this year in order of priority.

*new driver

*new hybrid

*new wedges

Posted Today, 01:10 PM

thinking of trying the Robert Trent Jones golf trail in early May. Anyone done it and can comment on the courses?

Cambrian Ridge

Capitol Hill

Grand National

Ross Bridge

Hampton Cove

Highland Oaks

Lakewood

Magnolia Grove

Oxmoor Valley

Silver Lakes

The Shoals

I'm just getting back into it from early Fall. Played a few scrambles and 1 round in Dec, but that was it.

I'm amazed at how much more consistent I am thru down times like this with my new-as-of-'13 move of keeping my left heel planted.

My mindset seems so much simpler...good posture, heel down, and rotate.

2015 has still been a disaster for me. Basically, I'm playing like Tiger Woods... in that the 2-3 times/week I go to the range I look like a pro, but when I play I mentally lose it and can't hit a fairway to save my life. Started the year at a 10 and am up to a 13. Shot an 89 yesterday on a 6k course with ideal conditions and in a round where I recorded two birdies.

Looking to get out much more this summer and spring.

Looking to buy a big head driver (Callaway). Haven't bought a driver in some time but I hit a big head one last year and it was pretty good.

Need to golf.

2015 has still been a disaster for me. Basically, I'm playing like Tiger Woods... in that the 2-3 times/week I go to the range I look like a pro, but when I play I mentally lose it and can't hit a fairway to save my life. Started the year at a 10 and am up to a 13. Shot an 89 yesterday on a 6k course with ideal conditions and in a round where I recorded two birdies.
You've got to work on your course management. Playing the smart shots, playing your misses where it will only cost you a bogey and not a double bogey or worse.

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
Has anyone used a range-finder watch, like Garman?

Seems to be a good fit for me, as I wear a watch playing and I walk a lot.

But just not sure how helpful they are, or which ones are the best value.

It seems like a small step up from a stroke counter wristwatch.

It seems like a small step up from a stroke counter wristwatch.
Other than the satellite part.

I went with a Garmin S3, which was on sale for $179 since there was only 1 left and the S4 and S6 are out.

Feels just like my watch, and seems to give me the basic data I need...we'll see.

four rounds so far this year, all at my "home" course (just over 6k from the whites, slope 122):

First Round: mid-January.

- first round since November '14.

- 46 out, 52 in.

- 5 fairways hit, 4 GIR, 39 putts

- overall, not my best effort

Second Round: Jan 28

- 43 out, 40 in

- 8 fairways hit, 4 GIR, 28 putts

- overall, scrambled like a madman and tied my best score ever

Third Round: Feb 2

- 45 out, 46 in

- 6 fairways hit, 3 GIR, 35 putts

- overall, not awful. just played about bogey golf

Fourth Round: Feb 9

- 45 out, 43 in

- 4 fairways hit, 8 GIR, 31 putts

- overall, pretty solid round. missed everything Right off the tee, but iron play was above average.

had one birdie in every round, and at least one double. current index at 17.3 looking to get out tomorrow, and then sneak in 9 on Tuesday afternoon before playing over on the coast on the 16th.

*new driver

*new hybrid

*new wedges
what are you leaning towards?

i picked up a Ping G25 driver and 4w last year. wasn't looking for a model with a ton of adjustment, and have been really pleased with the results. way more confident over the ball on the tee. grabbed a Tour Edge Exotics 4h on eBay three weeks ago. been hitting it pretty well off the mat at the range, but i'm sure everybody does. been playing Vokey wedges for about two seasons now, and very happy with those clubs (52, 56 and 58).

I need new clubs. One of these days I'll get fitted. I still have the same irons when I started playing 15 years ago. Typically I shoot in the high 80's. I don't hit my irons far at all but drive well off the tee with a fairly new driver. Any equipment recommendations out there?

I need new clubs. One of these days I'll get fitted. I still have the same irons when I started playing 15 years ago. Typically I shoot in the high 80's. I don't hit my irons far at all but drive well off the tee with a fairly new driver. Any equipment recommendations out there?
If you're in a four season area, there will be a lot of demo days going on at local courses in early spring. I'd google around and find one near you with reps from most of the big guys and just go down the line and find something you like and get fitted.

Anybody play mid-size grips? I'm thinking of making the switch.

Still stuck in high 80s even though ball striking is showing flashes of where it was. Inevitably I hit 4-5 terrible tee shots per round which kills any chance I have of a decent score.

Goals for the year:

- Play more (doubtful because of new job)

- Improve putting and short game (likely because of how bad it was a year ago and I'm making a conscious effort to practice)

- Keep better data while playing (and use that data for improvement)

four rounds so far this year, all at my "home" course (just over 6k from the whites, slope 122):

- 46 out, 52 in.

- 43 out, 40 in

- 45 out, 46 in

- 45 out, 43 in

- overall, pretty solid round. missed everything Right off the tee, but iron play was above average.

had one birdie in every round, and at least one double. current index at 17.3 looking to get out tomorrow, and then sneak in 9 on Tuesday afternoon before playing over on the coast on the 16th.
What happened in round 4 because your stats (8 GIR and 31 Putts) would suggest a score in the high 70's not the high 80's?

- 46 out, 52 in.

- 43 out, 40 in

- 45 out, 46 in

- 45 out, 43 in

What happened in round 4 because your stats (8 GIR and 31 Putts) would suggest a score in the high 70's not the high 80's?
5 doubles and a triple. a number of those misses Right were either wet or OB. "solid" may have been a overstatement, though i'm ok with the 88.

So I was asked to caddie for my brother in law (he's bear scratch) for the lpga pro-am he's playing next week.

Anybody ever caddie before? Got some dos and do nots?

So I was asked to caddie for my brother in law (he's bear scratch) for the lpga pro-am he's playing next week.

I've caddied in a pro-am and some qualifiers.

Just be invisible. Answer questions when asked, but don't volunteer direction. Pay attention to everything going on around you.

Make sure you are aware of all acumen...how to hold a flag when tending the pin, how to rake the trap, etc.

• Smile
Reactions: Zow

I've caddied in a pro-am and some qualifiers.

Just be invisible. Answer questions when asked, but don't volunteer direction. Pay attention to everything going on around you.

Make sure you are aware of all acumen...how to hold a flag when tending the pin, how to rake the trap, etc.
Don't let this happen to you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYV-csdgRv0

Next week the clubs are going in the trunk and i am going to be on the course as often as possible until October.

Just bought a set of Mizuno MP-4 irons, and could not be happier at the moment. Clubs look amazing and the feel is very soft compared to other blades. If you play a lot of golf and have a lower handicap (0-10), I would highly recommend these irons.

Looking to upgrade my two-ball Odyssey putter for a Scotty Cameron Newport, but having a hard time justifying the $350 for a putter at the moment.

Just bought a set of Mizuno MP-4 irons, and could not be happier at the moment. Clubs look amazing and the feel is very soft compared to other blades. If you play a lot of golf and have a lower handicap (0-10), I would highly recommend these irons.

Looking to upgrade my two-ball Odyssey putter for a Scotty Cameron Newport, but having a hard time justifying the $350 for a putter at the moment.
pull the trigger on the Scotty Cameron.

i picked up a Newport 2.5 and added this grip, as i moved away from my Oddyssey White Hot. the balance and feel of the SC Newport is amazing. if you have a Golf Mart in your area, i'm pretty sure they offer a 90 day trial period where you can return any club if not satisfied.

i picked up a Newport 2.5 and added this grip, as i moved away from my Oddyssey White Hot. the balance and feel of the SC Newport is amazing. if you have a Golf Mart in your area, i'm pretty sure they offer a 90 day trial period where you can return any club if not satisfied.
That's a nice looking Scotty grip, and a Newport 2.5 is exactly what I'm looking for in the black color. The Oddyssey White Hot are not terrible putters, but I do want to try to get away from them and try a different brand.

I'll most likely end up pulling the trigger before summer begins, as they seem to hold their value pretty well, from what I have seen resold on ebay.

- 46 out, 52 in.

- 43 out, 40 in

- 45 out, 46 in

- 45 out, 43 in

5 doubles and a triple. a number of those misses Right were either wet or OB. "solid" may have been a overstatement, though i'm ok with the 88.
IMO: I think your game suggests many more all-time best rounds ahead of you. Keeping stats is a great way to help manage your game pre-and during the round. Stats will dictate your score. A nice goal for you might be to drop your handicap from a 17 down to a 12. With an average score of 85. This seems more than reasonable. Stats should look like this for a score in the low-mid 80's:

Fairways hit= 7-9

GIR= 5-7

Putts= 33

The most important stat for score is GIR. So the main question you want to be asking yourself before you tee up on every hole is: "what is the EASIEST way for me to hit the green in regulation?"

Sometimes that might mean hitting a 3W, hybrid or iron off the tee - even when everyone else is hitting driver. What you want to do is have your favorite iron in your hands as much as possible for that approach shot to the green. Work backwards from the green to the tee box.

For example: let's say your favorite iron is a 9 and you hit it 140. You come to a 360yrd par four. All you need to do is hit a tee that that travels 220yrds in order to put that 9 iron in your hands so you have a lot of confidence you can hit the GIR. 220yrds might be anywhere from a 4iron to a 3W depending on your ability - but solid course strategy would suggest hitting something other than driver. Especially because short holes typically have some type of tee shot danger from a risk reward perspective.

Of course you still have to hit the tee shot skillfully.

In addition since GIR is the main dictator to your score - forget where the flag is on the green. target to the center of the green every time when hitting approach shots from less than 100yrds.

On the more note: on difficult holes you should also consider playing for a bogey from the tee. Lets say you come to a 455 yrd par 4 that has water and ob in play and is the #1 handicap hole on the course. Decide from the beginning to play this hole like a par 5. That means you allow yourself 3 shots to hit the green. 455/3=151 yrds average for those three shots. So you could probably hit 7 iron; 9 iron (your fav club); 9 iron and 2 putt for a 5 on what is the hardest hole on the course. Bogey on this hole is a GREAT score for a 17 handicap. It's a great score for a 10 handicap.

Final note: take aggressive swings aimed at conservative targets.

Think like this: all you have to do is hit 8 fairways; 6 greens and have 33 putts and you'll shot mid-80's. How easy is that? So take that one shot at a time: 1st tee box goal #1= hit the fairway; #2 hit the green...#3 don't compound mistakes and make them stupid mistakes. You can't expect every shot to be good, great or perfect.

That's a nice looking Scotty grip, and a Newport 2.5 is exactly what I'm looking for in the black color. The Oddyssey White Hot are not terrible putters, but I do want to try to get away from them and try a different brand.

I'll most likely end up pulling the trigger before summer begins, as they seem to hold their value pretty well, from what I have seen resold on ebay.
they do hold their resale value. no worry about reselling at near what you paid for it.

i tried the Newport and Ping Karsten TR before choosing the SC. if you're looking for milled specifically, i know Odyssey makes some (in black) that are about half the price of the SC.

they do hold their resale value. no worry about reselling at near what you paid for it.

i tried the Newport and Ping Karsten TR before choosing the SC. if you're looking for milled specifically, i know Odyssey makes some (in black) that are about half the price of the SC.
Thanks for the insight. I am looking for a milled putter, so I will have to keep the Ping and Odyssey milled putters in mind, as a comparison when I decide to upgrade.

- 46 out, 52 in.

- 43 out, 40 in

- 45 out, 46 in

- 45 out, 43 in

IMO: I think your game suggests many more all-time best rounds ahead of you. Keeping stats is a great way to help manage your game pre-and during the round. Stats will dictate your score. A nice goal for you might be to drop your handicap from a 17 down to a 12. With an average score of 85. This seems more than reasonable. Stats should look like this for a score in the low-mid 80's:

Fairways hit= 7-9

GIR= 5-7

Putts= 33

The most important stat for score is GIR. So the main question you want to be asking yourself before you tee up on every hole is: "what is the EASIEST way for me to hit the green in regulation?"

Sometimes that might mean hitting a 3W, hybrid or iron off the tee - even when everyone else is hitting driver. What you want to do is have your favorite iron in your hands as much as possible for that approach shot to the green. Work backwards from the green to the tee box.

For example: let's say your favorite iron is a 9 and you hit it 140. You come to a 360yrd par four. All you need to do is hit a tee that that travels 220yrds in order to put that 9 iron in your hands so you have a lot of confidence you can hit the GIR. 220yrds might be anywhere from a 4iron to a 3W depending on your ability - but solid course strategy would suggest hitting something other than driver. Especially because short holes typically have some type of tee shot danger from a risk reward perspective.

Of course you still have to hit the tee shot skillfully.

In addition since GIR is the main dictator to your score - forget where the flag is on the green. target to the center of the green every time when hitting approach shots from less than 100yrds.

On the more note: on difficult holes you should also consider playing for a bogey from the tee. Lets say you come to a 455 yrd par 4 that has water and ob in play and is the #1 handicap hole on the course. Decide from the beginning to play this hole like a par 5. That means you allow yourself 3 shots to hit the green. 455/3=151 yrds average for those three shots. So you could probably hit 7 iron; 9 iron (your fav club); 9 iron and 2 putt for a 5 on what is the hardest hole on the course. Bogey on this hole is a GREAT score for a 17 handicap. It's a great score for a 10 handicap.

Final note: take aggressive swings aimed at conservative targets.

Think like this: all you have to do is hit 8 fairways; 6 greens and have 33 putts and you'll shot mid-80's. How easy is that? So take that one shot at a time: 1st tee box goal #1= hit the fairway; #2 hit the green...#3 don't compound mistakes and make them stupid mistakes. You can't expect every shot to be good, great or perfect.
thanks for that. appreciate the positive input.

i do try and play backwards from holes (i.e. how do i get to hit PW for a GIR and two-putt for par), and usually aim for the fat part of the green. my inconsistencies, stem specifically from lack of time on the range. a missed shot here, errant tee ball there, and i'm looking at high 80s, low 90s which is ok for this time of year. as i'm able to get out more than once every couple of weeks, i expect to see improvement like you suggested.

Round 5 - Monday, March 9

- 43 out, 47 in

- 6 fairways hit, 2 GIR, 33 putts

- overall, kind of a boring round. no birdies, (though missed two putts inside 8') and put two OB and one in the water. missed way too many iron shots from the fairway, leading to minimal GIR. didn't scramble particularly well.

I'm very nervous for this year. I just went and hit balls. I know it's on a simulator but I've been having back and hip issues for a couple years now.

I've been stretching and working out but I am severely stiff with lack of range . It was brutal

PA guy here - looks like we are targeting next week for our first rounds...snow has finally melted. Some might be able to get out this weekend, but with the snow melt and the rain expected Saturday, I can't imagine the courses will be in good shape.

So pumped to get out there.

- 46 out, 52 in.

- 43 out, 40 in

- 45 out, 46 in

- 45 out, 43 in

amazing what that flat stick will do for you......

I love those irons....I wished i played more so that i could get back to an advanced iron.

Does anyone have any good apps to track stats on? I just started playing last year, so I didn't do much in regards to stats, but would like to track my Fairways, GIR, and putts this year. I saw GolfLogix, but not sure if anyone else has recommendations...thanks

Does anyone have any good apps to track stats on? I just started playing last year, so I didn't do much in regards to stats, but would like to track my Fairways, GIR, and putts this year. I saw

GolfLogix, but not sure if anyone else has recommendations...thanks
The grint or Nike golf. Grint is probably better but both do what you want.

GolfPad all the way for me.

Has the course details and scorecard built in for almost every course. Can track with friends, email results to your friends after a round as well.

Love it. Best app I've used for this stuff.

It's going to be 63 degrees here today. Time to go hit some mudballs? :excited:

Bell - got the Scotty on Thurs...its in great shape! Appreciate it... :thumbup:

I had to take that rifle grip off, and am trying a Superstroke semi-fat one...but so far, so good. Played with it yesterday and rolled the ball well. I'm still unsure of going from a 34" to a 33"...but it feels pretty good.

:thumbup:

I'll post the PM here. THAT WAS A BRAND NEW GRIP :P

I haven't found a Scotty grip I like. I had a lamkin grip that was about the size of my thumb which I really liked. I can't do the super stroke grips.

I haven't had the heart to not put a scotty grip on a scotty putter yet :lol:

*new driver

*new hybrid

*new wedges
which green did you get
not sure of the dimensions, but it's probably 12 feet long and has three different sized holes on each end. I bought it last year, but had it wrapped up in storage.

Users who are viewing this thread