What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2024 Golf Thread, pick up the pace, HCP be a changing *** (2 Viewers)

Do not have him play lefty. There's no upside and a ton of downside. Phil Mickelson is right-handed.
sorry, but what?
mostly its the hassle with having to special order everything. no lefty demos. shops not having gloves. not stocking lefty balls. all that stuff.

or were you talking about phil? phil mickelson is right-handed.
Not getting the Phil part. Phil is right-handed that plays lefty, so Nugget's son who is left-handed should play righty? granted, I'm pretty drunk.

Do not have him play lefty. There's no upside and a ton of downside. Phil Mickelson is right-handed.
sorry, but what?
mostly its the hassle with having to special order everything. no lefty demos. shops not having gloves. not stocking lefty balls. all that stuff.

or were you talking about phil? phil mickelson is right-handed.
No one understands what the sentence 'Phil Mickleson is right handed' has to do with the preceding few sentences you wrote.

Phil plays golf left-handed. He is actually right-handed. His dominant side pulls the swing. It's the opposite of what is perceived by most to be the rule. The person posing the question was thinking because his son is left-handed he should play golf left-handed. That is not true and Phil is the most famous demonstration of that rule being a myth. My bad, thought it was pretty obvious.

eta: hate typing on tablet so dont always spell thoughts out completely

Last edited by a moderator:
So we teed off it was 25 degrees and windy. Other than half a bucket I hit on a simulator a couple weeks ago I didn't touch a club since November. I don't mind playing bad but this was brutal. First hole I smoke my drive, hit wedge to 6 ft. Lip out birdie. I then hit every shot defined in the hackers guide to golf.

fat, thin, stealth wedges, shanks, pop ups, worm burners, snap hooks and a few 3 putts. It was like I nver played before. My next par was on 18 into the wind. Driver 5 iron.

my 92 felt like a 120. I quit probably by worst round in 10 years look wise

Got my first round in today. Tee time was 11:15 (about a half hour from my house), so my buddy who is always late is driving...I tell him to pick me up at 10:15. He does, then stops at Wawa, then drops his girlfriend off, then has to get gas...long story short...we walk out of the clubhouse to get the cart at 11:15 and the ranger tells us that the 11:20 tee time is alreayd there and ready to go. I tell him we will glady switch tee times with them as our shoes and clubs were at the car. He then tells us the next 3 groups are all together and playing back-back-back, but they will let us tee off if we hustle. So, we managed to get lucky and race back to the car throw the shoes on...no warmups...I think I teed off with my shoes untied...next thing I know, I blink and I'm on the 3rd tee with a 7 and a 9.

All that said, I just started playing in August last year, so I am way behind the curve. Hit a LOT of bad shots, especially irons, no GIR. Putting was awful as well, but drove it okay (6 out of 13 fairways) and chipped decent for me. Managed a 105, despite a 57 front. Was also first time playing this course. Not happy with my overall play, but happy to get back out there for sure.

1st round of the year in with a smooth 95 :bag:

Followed back to back birdies with OB tee shots on 3 straight holes. Hit 5 balls OB in total so that's 10 wasted strokes right there...it was pretty ugly.

On the plus side, I did get a great deal to join at a fantastic golf course (has been rated #1 in Kentucky several times). Hopefully that means that I will play a ton more this year.

I'm lefty that plays righty
Me too. I played some lefty when I was much younger and experimenting. Having played baseball I always wanted to keep my left elbow up, which doesn't work in golf. My brothers taught me that the power comes from the left arm when golfing righty so I stuck with that. Apple Jack is right on here.

So I bought the Nike Vapor Speed. I really liked the feel of that. I also broke down and bought some Taylormade irons. Only $300. I would have liked to get nicer irons, but I felt like I had put off buying irons long enough. And I'm not sure I could ever justify spending $900 on irons, anyway. I'm excited to get out there and hit them.

So I bought the Nike Vapor Speed. I really liked the feel of that. I also broke down and bought some Taylormade irons. Only $300. I would have liked to get nicer irons, but I felt like I had put off buying irons long enough. And I'm not sure I could ever justify spending $900 on irons, anyway. I'm excited to get out there and hit them.
I'm a huge advocate of buying irons used from the guys who always buy the latest/greatest and dump the last latest/greatest. Unless you're buying from a range rat who wears out the grooves (not going to happen in a year or two), golf clubs do not wear. A used set is exactly the same as a new one. Only $700 cheaper. ebay and craigslist. Of course, they're not going to be fitted to you necessarily, but if you get stock specs and are relatively normal sized, no problem.

There are lefty golf balls?
It was a not very funny joke. Not inconceivable I was still drunk.

:thumbup:

what shaft?

RoxSolid said:
Got my first round in today. Tee time was 11:15 (about a half hour from my house), so my buddy who is always late is driving...I tell him to pick me up at 10:15. He does, then stops at Wawa, then drops his girlfriend off, then has to get gas...long story short...we walk out of the clubhouse to get the cart at 11:15 and the ranger tells us that the 11:20 tee time is alreayd there and ready to go. I tell him we will glady switch tee times with them as our shoes and clubs were at the car. He then tells us the next 3 groups are all together and playing back-back-back, but they will let us tee off if we hustle. So, we managed to get lucky and race back to the car throw the shoes on...no warmups...I think I teed off with my shoes untied...next thing I know, I blink and I'm on the 3rd tee with a 7 and a 9.

All that said, I just started playing in August last year, so I am way behind the curve. Hit a LOT of bad shots, especially irons, no GIR. Putting was awful as well, but drove it okay (6 out of 13 fairways) and chipped decent for me. Managed a 105, despite a 57 front. Was also first time playing this course. Not happy with my overall play, but happy to get back out there for sure.
that's one of my biggest pet peeves: getting to the course late. i usually don't do more than putt a few balls for warmup anyway (outside of some stretching #oldguy), and rushing to get to the #1 tee is the worst. and i've been there with shoes untied too...throws my whole round off.

been playing Bridgestone e6 balls for the last three years. decided to "make the switch to Srixon" and grabbed a box of QStars last week in advance of a scramble last Monday.

overall, not a bad ball. not sure if the SpinSkin Technology is all that it's cracked up to be: hit a number of shots that didn't bite/check as much as i though they would.

the e6 was definitely longer off the tee for me, though the QStar had better feel putting-wise. by the 2nd nine, i was hitting the Bridgestone from the tee, and putting specifically with the Srixon. not gonna happen in a "legit" round, but for a scramble it was a good chance to play them side by side.

our team finished with a 65, came in middle of the pack. winner was 59....with no mulligans or string.

what shaft?
Regular
cool.

did you get on the launch monitor?

what shaft?
Regular
cool.

did you get on the launch monitor?
Not that I know of.

been playing Bridgestone e6 balls for the last three years. decided to "make the switch to Srixon" and grabbed a box of QStars last week in advance of a scramble last Monday.

overall, not a bad ball. not sure if the SpinSkin Technology is all that it's cracked up to be: hit a number of shots that didn't bite/check as much as i though they would.

the e6 was definitely longer off the tee for me, though the QStar had better feel putting-wise. by the 2nd nine, i was hitting the Bridgestone from the tee, and putting specifically with the Srixon. not gonna happen in a "legit" round, but for a scramble it was a good chance to play them side by side.

our team finished with a 65, came in middle of the pack. winner was 59....with no mulligans or string.
Have you tried the RX? Or RXS if you want even more spin into the green. Sounds like it would serve both. They're running a promo right now, four dz for the price of three with personalization. $149 out the door.

Just wanted to note that Top Golf is awesome.
3-4 hour wait times here in the Tampa area. I'd rather just go to the course. :shrug:
Wanted to go here while in Scottsdale, but the wait was forever, so ending up dumping money at the blackjack tables at Talking Stick instead.

From everything I have heard though, it is something to definitely check out.

My son just turned 7 and has expressed an interest in trying golf. I will probably pick up a starter set this week.

Big question - he is left handed. Do I buy left handed clubs or force him to go righty? We did T-ball and he batted left handed better. He will be out on any hand-me-down clubs later, but I want to give him the best opportunity for success.
Well I'm a lefty who plays lefty...and Phil is the exception not the rule to the "force him to play right handed theory". If it were true you'd see many more left handed than right handed players on tour. When I first picked up the game this is what everyone told me "you should play right handed." And my answer was always "well since you're right handed how come you don't play left handed?"

If he bats better lefty have him play lefty. It's not difficult to find left handed clubs even for kids. I like being lefty - and sometimes it can throw off the people you're competing against. I think all things being equal left handedness in most sports is a competitive advantage.

I've had a kid playing since he was 3 and we've always had good luck having him properly fitted with clubs. US Kids has sized appropriate clubs for left handers. If you get nice clubs you'll also be able to sell them for at least 50%+ of their retail cost once he grows out of the clubs. So the initial cost of a top of the line set is about equal to the cheaper sets once he grows out of the clubs and you sell them on craigslist.

A set like this is all he'd need: Driver, 3 irons, putter and a bag. (they don't need 14 clubs)

https://www.uskidsgolf.com/shop/lh-ul48-5-club-stand-bag-set-all-graph-tea-sil-whi-bag

Most places have Junior clinics and camps for kids. First Tee is great too. There is a program called the PGA Jr League - which is a match-play "little-league" style team tournaments that are fun and not very stressful for a kid new to the game. Check at your local club and see if they have a team...it's pretty new. Get him some basic lessons. If you go to hit balls keep your instruction to him super simple: "2 hands on the clubs...both feet on the ground...smack it." Having the balls on a tee helps. Short game and putting are the easiest mechanics to learn and you can play simple competitive games with him . Even when my kid was 3 we'd compete on the putting green. Sure back then I gave him some advantages (like he'd get to putt half the distance to the hole vs me), but I'd never let him win. By the time he was 8-9 there was no handicap on the putting green for him and today -he's almost 13- he can out putt me most of the time. It's really fun to play golf with your kid and you learn so much about who they are and who they are becoming as a person as you walk a course together.

Have you tried the RX? Or RXS if you want even more spin into the green. Sounds like it would serve both. They're running a promo right now, four dz for the price of three with personalization. $149 out the door.
i've played with the RXS previously, though i don't think i'm "good" enough to enjoy the benefits of a ball like that. same reason i don't play ProV1. plus, $28/dozen is a little easier than $49...though that deal for $149 sounds pretty sweet. i think my personalization might have to be "Gunga Galunga" or "See that blood?"

Been considering putting some money into new irons, but really second guessing myself. I bought a used set of Ping Zing 2s five years ago. They were made back in the early 90s, so they're at least 20 years old now. I'm 6'2" and the clubs are +1s. Not sure if they are actually long enough for me. I wasn't fitted at the time.

The thing that bothers me the most is the notion that newer clubs are going to hit the ball farther, but what I'm finding out is that the companies have just changed the lofts.

My Ping Zing 2s. I have 3 through SW in my bag.
Iron - Loft
3 - 20.5
4 - 24
5 - 27
6 - 30.5
7 - 34.5
8 - 38.5
9 - 42.5
PW - 47
SW - 52

TaylorMade Rocketballz from 2013
Iron - Loft
3 - 17.5
4 - 20
5 - 23
6 - 26.5
7 - 30.5
8 - 35
9 - 40
PW - 45
GW - 50
SW - 55

This is where I'm finding the loft information. There are probably lots of other sites that give the same information.

WTF? Do they think we're that dumb? Of course the balls go farther. They just changed the angles of the club faces. What a joke. Gap wedge? Sure, they need it to replace the missing club from before.

Also, I get to play rounds with lots of older retired guys in the early weekday mornings of the summer. Lots of them comment that they used to have the Ping Zing irons and loved them. Wished they had never gotten rid of them. Quite honestly I don't know how "forgiving" my clubs are. Perhaps this is where the newer clubs are an improvement? I'm starting this year at a 14 handicap, but I know already that that's a bit high. I've shot my handicap or better twice in the past few weeks. I haven't broken 80 yet, but I expect it to happen sometime this summer when we dry out a bit up here in the northwest.

Any advice? Do I throw some money at getting fit?

Been considering putting some money into new irons, but really second guessing myself. I bought a used set of Ping Zing 2s five years ago. They were made back in the early 90s, so they're at least 20 years old now. I'm 6'2" and the clubs are +1s. Not sure if they are actually long enough for me. I wasn't fitted at the time.

The thing that bothers me the most is the notion that newer clubs are going to hit the ball farther, but what I'm finding out is that the companies have just changed the lofts.

My Ping Zing 2s. I have 3 through SW in my bag.

Iron - Loft

3 - 20.5

4 - 24

5 - 27

6 - 30.5

7 - 34.5

8 - 38.5

9 - 42.5

PW - 47

SW - 52

TaylorMade Rocketballz from 2013

Iron - Loft

3 - 17.5

4 - 20

5 - 23

6 - 26.5

7 - 30.5

8 - 35

9 - 40

PW - 45

GW - 50

SW - 55

This is where I'm finding the loft information. There are probably lots of other sites that give the same information.

WTF? Do they think we're that dumb? Of course the balls go farther. They just changed the angles of the club faces. What a joke. Gap wedge? Sure, they need it to replace the missing club from before.

Also, I get to play rounds with lots of older retired guys in the early weekday mornings of the summer. Lots of them comment that they used to have the Ping Zing irons and loved them. Wished they had never gotten rid of them. Quite honestly I don't know how "forgiving" my clubs are. Perhaps this is where the newer clubs are an improvement? I'm starting this year at a 14 handicap, but I know already that that's a bit high. I've shot my handicap or better twice in the past few weeks. I haven't broken 80 yet, but I expect it to happen sometime this summer when we dry out a bit up here in the northwest.

Any advice? Do I throw some money at getting fit?
if you're getting new irons, get fit. with an index of 14 it's the way to go.

Any of you ever take a hiatus?

My bad play is getting worse. Shot a 102 yesterday. Swing plane and spine angle getting worse the more I work at it and I'm pushing to hard slicing everything off the tee. Handicap has fallen from an 8 to a 16 in the span of 8 months. I have zero confidence right now and didn't even enjoy the round yesterday. It's getting awkward too because my playing partners are getting legitimately annoyed and had one of them actually politely ask if he could ask someone else to play an upcoming tourney with him.

So ####### frustrating. I've bought a a smash bag and some rods and when I hit at the range I'm normal. Step onto the course though and it's like I've never played. About a year ago I switched to playing muscle backs and am now seriously considering switching back to cavity backs just to give my hands a break.

My bad play is getting worse. Shot a 102 yesterday. Swing plane and spine angle getting worse the more I work at it and I'm pushing to hard slicing everything off the tee. Handicap has fallen from an 8 to a 16 in the span of 8 months. I have zero confidence right now and didn't even enjoy the round yesterday. It's getting awkward too because my playing partners are getting legitimately annoyed and had one of them actually politely ask if he could ask someone else to play an upcoming tourney with him.

So ####### frustrating. I've bought a a smash bag and some rods and when I hit at the range I'm normal. Step onto the course though and it's like I've never played. About a year ago I switched to playing muscle backs and am now seriously considering switching back to cavity backs just to give my hands a break.
I took about 4 years off from the game. I was very competitive and the more I played the worse I got. Think it was all in my head. When I finally did come back, I didn't keep score the first year. If I had a bad shot, I'd drop another ball and just hit that one. Before I knew it, I was playing some of the best golf of my life.

I should have asked this above, but I'll just tack it on here.

What does "getting fit" mean for people? What measurements should they be taking? My gut tells me that the big box stores will just measure how tall you are and then hand you a set in a box.

Should I expect them to be taking lots of measurements? Should I expect them to be adjusting the loft and lie of each club after taking lots of measurements?

It's all upstairs.

Any time I'm going bad like that I think about the scene in Tin Cup when Costner is at the range hitting hosel rockets. Then Cheech has him turn his visor around, switch which pocket his change is in, put a tee behind his ear, etc. "I look like a fool!" "Well, what do you think you look like hitting those chili peppers up Lee Janzen's ###?!" Then he rips it up the fairway.

Your brain is getting in the way.

what percent of your practice time do you spend hitting fully shots with irons and woods vs. chipping and putting?

what percent of your practice time do you spend hitting fully shots with irons and woods vs. chipping and putting?
50/50.

Hope to play a bunch more this year. I think I have played 4 times in the past 3 years. One of them was a scramble, so hardly qualifies.

I have always had a good short game, and tend to keep the ball out of trouble, mostly because I don't hit it very far.

If I was to play a decent course these days, I am guessing I would play at a 13 or so. Used to play at a 7 when I was younger and stronger.

Question. I hate the range. Always have, and have never been a guy who wants to just go hit balls. Well, unless I am drinking many beers. So, I hate the range, but I do like to workout a bit. What exercises are good to increase length off the tee? Am I mostly just looking at increasing flexibility? Or is it that I just need to actually go out and hit balls to work those muscles?

Every year my handicap will go up 3 to 4 points to start the year then I'll sprinkle in some solid rounds and then end the year crappy again and settle in at some place a point higher. Why? Because I take 4 months off and rarely practice anymore.

My prime I was a 6 and had no fear. Now depending on the day I suck at bunkers or chips or pitches. My short game was always weaker (minus putting) than the rest of my game but I get in a slump and I've had a 2 year slup on 20-60 yards now. My confidence is shaken. I never had problems. I practice and practice properly and practice well. Then #### happens again. At the end of the year I settle around a 8 to 9.5

So yes I've thought about it but love it too much. My biggest problem is I know I'm a better player when I put it together but am too hard on myself when things aren't "perfect". I have to keep telling myself for someone that just shows up and plays I do quite well. I wish I had the time to practice like I used to. Now it consists of me taking my daughter to the range to get a few swings in.

Nothing worse than putting up a 77 1 week followed by a 93 the next :bag:

I should have asked this above, but I'll just tack it on here.

What does "getting fit" mean for people? What measurements should they be taking? My gut tells me that the big box stores will just measure how tall you are and then hand you a set in a box.

Should I expect them to be taking lots of measurements? Should I expect them to be adjusting the loft and lie of each club after taking lots of measurements?
What do you consider a big box store? My golf galaxy fits you for loft, length and lie. Now whether the guy doing it is worth anything is a different story but they do check for all that

Hope to play a bunch more this year. I think I have played 4 times in the past 3 years. One of them was a scramble, so hardly qualifies.

I have always had a good short game, and tend to keep the ball out of trouble, mostly because I don't hit it very far.

If I was to play a decent course these days, I am guessing I would play at a 13 or so. Used to play at a 7 when I was younger and stronger.

Question. I hate the range. Always have, and have never been a guy who wants to just go hit balls. Well, unless I am drinking many beers. So, I hate the range, but I do like to workout a bit. What exercises are good to increase length off the tee? Am I mostly just looking at increasing flexibility? Or is it that I just need to actually go out and hit balls to work those muscles?
Yoga (strength)

One issue I have EVERY golf year is...i get a little too comfortable as I play more.

That leads to a quicker tempo...poorer posture...stance flaws, etc...because I'm not focused on the basics, as I do at the beginning of the golf year.

i've played with the RXS previously, though i don't think i'm "good" enough to enjoy the benefits of a ball like that. same reason i don't play ProV1. plus, $28/dozen is a little easier than $49...though that deal for $149 sounds pretty sweet. i think my personalization might have to be "Gunga Galunga" or "See that blood?"
You'd be surprised. Basically it comes down to whether you want the extra spin with short irons. If you do, the RX and RXS would be a lot like the e6 but with wedge spin. ProV1s do more harm than good for 90+% of players. The core of the balls are way too hard for them so they don't compress on impact, resulting in too much spin off the driver and other full-swing shots, not to mention no spring effect. The perception is that they are soft because the covers are soft, but ProV1 and Prov1x's are very hard balls and are for people with swing speeds around 110 and up. That's how hard you have to hit them to compress them and get the ball to do what it is designed to do. Otherwise it just rolls off the face and curves off line or balloons up on you. They are fantastic balls for very good players. They're terrible for the rest. The RX and RXs are lower compression balls that everybody can compress and will not roll off the face. Check out a Bridgestone ballfitting sometime. It's a pretty compelling demonstration with your own shots and spin numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread