What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2024 Golf Thread, pick up the pace, HCP be a changing *** (1 Viewer)

standing out on the patio last night, drinking a beer watching the dog take a whizz between periods of the VAN/STL game. 

started doing some practice swings and watching my reflection in the sliding glass door, and saw that i was locking my right knee straight immediately as my backswing begins. WTAF?? i have a feeling this is been going on for a while and contributing to much of my inconsistency on full-swing shots. 

hope to get out on Wednesday and work on this without getting heat-stroke. 

After rescheduling from May to first week of October we just cancelled our 12 on 12 four day Ryder Cup event. 2020 is first year we’ll miss since it started in 1991. Sucks, but no indoor dining, no bar, no poker, no bear hugs + the healthcare risks to families made it the right decision 

So a local course here has a range membership for $200 a year.  I hem'd and haw'd all year about it and finally we played there on the 4th of July and I got there early and inquired about the membership.  Completely unlimited, any time any day, just walk in and help yourself to tokensa nd they pro-rated me for 1/2 the year since it's already July.  So for $100 I figure why not.

39 days later I've hit 49 buckets of balls so I think I got my money's worth ;)   I've spent a TON of time on my high irons since I can't hit a 4 iron to save my life and I have discovered a number of little things I had fallen into bad habits on.  As I corrected those the 4 and 5 irons were absolutely stunning at the range.  High, straight, working the ball a little bit, and L-O-N-G.  Like raining a 5 iron down on the stake at 205 long.  Now it's hard to tell at a driving range with driving range balls just how accurate that is so yesterday was the first time I've really had the chance to test it out.  #5 is a downhill 520 par 5 so I'm licking my chops on the tee box.  Pound one down the right side and catch some help from the downhill/hardpack ground and have 218 to the tucked right pin.  Ok lie, not really rough but it's that hard ground by the cart path with wispy grass that's definitely going to get between my club and the ball.  Ball isn't sitting up enough to get fully under it so it's gonna be that clanker that comes out low with zero spin.  Pin is tucked right side behind a bunker so it's a no-go.  Front of the green is approach-friendly so I take out 5 iron and figure I'll land it in front and try to roll it on the front of the green.

Hit a laser, get some decent elevation but as expected can't get elevation or any spin.  Land 10 feet on the green but proceed to roll through and to the back fringe.  My buddies are amazed at 5 iron from there.  Even down hill that's way out of my previous range.  That would be a hybrid all day long 2 weeks ago.  I'm 52 years old, even my fish tales didn't have me hitting 5 iron from there.

I proceeded to 3 putt and stink up the entire front 9 with three doubles for 46 but that shot is all we talked about the rest of the day.  Damn game.
According to the golf swing charts to hit a 7 iron 170 you need a swing speed of 110MPH. To hit a 5 iron 215 you need around a 115 MPH swing speed. Having that kind of swing speed at 52 is awesome.  

According to the golf swing charts to hit a 7 iron 170 you need a swing speed of 110MPH. To hit a 5 iron 215 you need around a 115 MPH swing speed. Having that kind of swing speed at 52 is awesome.  
It is. It also really depends if you’re playing blades or game improvement irons. There can be a 15 yd difference. 

Downhill and carried maybe 210.  I hit it HIGH as hell with my irons - too high actually, because the wind eats me alive.  I'm not 115, probably more like 105 with 110 if I really get a good weight transfer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Da Guru said:
*Driver swing speed.

My 7 iron chs according to trackman is 92 mph on average.  It usually carries 175.  

*Driver swing speed.

My 7 iron chs according to trackman is 92 mph on average.  It usually carries 175.  
My swing speed is right between 90-92 range and solid 7 iron hit goes around 155 with a smooth swing. So you are getting 20 more yards.

Played the first time today in 2 months, I absolutely hammered the ball off the tee.  Irons were hit or miss, short game the same, the greens were lightning though.   The problem I had today and the last couple rounds is my irons have top spin instead off my normal crisp back spin.   Im obviously a little closed to pulling

What did you work on/fix?
In a summary it was about getting my weight back to the left side on the downswing.  I'm short and didn't buy fitted irons (last time I do that) so I've had to adapt my game to the clubs and that's easy to slide out from.  My base was (way) too wide which caused my right knee to bow out in the backswing and I was therefore unable to post up on it properly.  I also was bringing the club back too far outside/high in my swing plane, and I've never had success dropping my hands into position like most advanced players are able to so I end up coming outside-in and striking down on/slashing across the ball which can cause a ballooning fade/slice.  I need to really focus on a one-plane swing to keep the club face aligned and those two points have really tightened that up.  I've also lost 18 pounds in the last few weeks so I'm sure that's helping too.

I'm on year 6 with these irons and I usually refresh every 5 years or so but the last three I have hardly played so couldn't justify the expense.  If I keep playing as much (as well) as I have this year though I'll take the plunge next spring.

What did you work on/fix?

In a summary it was about getting my weight back to the left side on the downswing.  I'm short and didn't buy fitted irons (last time I do that) so I've had to adapt my game to the clubs and that's easy to slide out from.  My base was (way) too wide which caused my right knee to bow out in the backswing and I was therefore unable to post up on it properly.  I also was bringing the club back too far outside/high in my swing plane, and I've never had success dropping my hands into position like most advanced players are able to so I end up coming outside-in and striking down on/slashing across the ball which can cause a ballooning fade/slice.  I need to really focus on a one-plane swing to keep the club face aligned and those two points have really tightened that up.  I've also lost 18 pounds in the last few weeks so I'm sure that's helping too.

I'm on year 6 with these irons and I usually refresh every 5 years or so but the last three I have hardly played so couldn't justify the expense.  If I keep playing as much (as well) as I have this year though I'll take the plunge next spring.
My base on my tee ball was way too wide as well and I was not able to turn like I needed.  Narrowed my stance a little a getting more distance and not pulling the ball as much off the tee.

My base on my tee ball was way too wide as well and I was not able to turn like I needed.  Narrowed my stance a little a getting more distance and not pulling the ball as much off the tee.
I've actually developed a nasty trap pull with the changes.  Likely an over-adjustment to prior open-face-type problems I just need to break the muscle memory of.  I'll hit the piss out of it but it's about 20 yards left.  Dead straight, maybe even a bit of a draw at the end, but it's not something I can tolerate with any regularity.

OK..ready to ditch my older Taylor SLDR driver for a new one.   I am not going to spend 500 for a SIM.    

Any feedback for a 250.00 type?  Looking at a M-2.   Played with a 65 year old guy in my league who was hitting a Ping G-30 250..ball seemed to jump of his driver.

OK..ready to ditch my older Taylor SLDR driver for a new one.   I am not going to spend 500 for a SIM.    

Any feedback for a 250.00 type?  Looking at a M-2.   Played with a 65 year old guy in my league who was hitting a Ping G-30 250..ball seemed to jump of his driver.
I’d go to golf mart if you have one and look at the used/demos, got my ping g410 there at a nice discount last year for 325.

Just realized that I posted that in the wrong thread... :bag:

on the bright side, I am playing 9 with the wife tonight, 18 tomorrow am with buddies and M,W,&F next week. Taking advantage of it while I can. 

I absolutely hit the ball fantastic yesterday. Except I actually topped one off the tee :bag:

I couldn't make a putt and the rough was super tough. I had one buried lie at about 80 yards, so I took a little extra swing with my sand wedge and some how hit it pure and crisp, it on back hill of green and into the reeds for a double. Grrrr

On another Par 5 I was green side bunker in 2. Perfect, I'm a strong bunker player...well today I decided to hit 3 in a row thin and into the lip.....WTF!;;;;;.  Grrrrr 

My buddy (former teaching pro, mini tour guy, playing to +3) invited me to his Saturday morning money game. $40 buy in. There’s about 20 guys who play regularly. All scratch to +4 players, play straight up. I’m a 3 myself. 

First time playing the course. 6,900 yds, 74.7 from the blues (tips are 7,400). Immaculate condition. Very wet (big rain last night). Drivers didn’t roll out - probably played to about 7,100. 

The other 2 guys - one played D1 college golf (33 y/o) who plays to a +3.5 the other guy was 55 but won a ton of state amateurs and plays to a +4. 

I’ve never played w/3 other guys who are clearly better than me. I play tier 2 public golf courses, most of my buddies are 10-15 handicappers. 

They hit 70% fairways. Probably 75% greens. Never 3 putt. Never ‘out’ of the hole (always a chance on the green for par). 

They were very kind and welcoming but for the first time I was the one they were waiting for to get to the green, the one who they had to help find my ball in the trees, the one who needed help with lines off the tees/reading greens etc.

They shot 71, 72, 74. I carded an 82. 

Really fun but humbling. I would like to get to scratch - not sure how possible that is at 37 w/out serious money in lessons.

3 birdies today. Ball striking much better. Post up, pull, rotate belt buckle. Trying to consciously pull the handle and maintain lag vs any throwing  the club head motion. 10X better impact. Now - if i can do all that without swing thoughts I’ll be a force. 

mr roboto said:
My buddy (former teaching pro, mini tour guy, playing to +3) invited me to his Saturday morning money game. $40 buy in. There’s about 20 guys who play regularly. All scratch to +4 players, play straight up. I’m a 3 myself. 

First time playing the course. 6,900 yds, 74.7 from the blues (tips are 7,400). Immaculate condition. Very wet (big rain last night). Drivers didn’t roll out - probably played to about 7,100. 

The other 2 guys - one played D1 college golf (33 y/o) who plays to a +3.5 the other guy was 55 but won a ton of state amateurs and plays to a +4. 

I’ve never played w/3 other guys who are clearly better than me. I play tier 2 public golf courses, most of my buddies are 10-15 handicappers. 

They hit 70% fairways. Probably 75% greens. Never 3 putt. Never ‘out’ of the hole (always a chance on the green for par). 

They were very kind and welcoming but for the first time I was the one they were waiting for to get to the green, the one who they had to help find my ball in the trees, the one who needed help with lines off the tees/reading greens etc.

They shot 71, 72, 74. I carded an 82. 

Really fun but humbling. I would like to get to scratch - not sure how possible that is at 37 w/out serious money in lessons.
Where’d you play?

Choked in my first medal/stroke play tournament this weekend. Three day event. Rain out day one. Plugging along until hole 13 where I made a quad (including a bounce off the styrofoam three putt). Wheels then came off the last five holes.  Today, triple on the same hole - with a three putt from five feet. Bogeyed the next three. Bogeys both days on the two easiest holes - shortish par 5s that I should have just laid up on. Just one birdie the entire tournament. Shot my two worst rounds ever at my home course. 

Humbling game. 

Just such a funny game.

Out of nowhere, I just started pulling drives left this weekend. Started with just slight pulls (into the left rough but relatively afe)  and got worse when I tried to "correct it". (probably just straight yanked 7 drives OB over the course of 2.5 round) Thought I might be playing it too far in my stance....nope. Thought i might just be overswinging....nope. Just couldn't figure it out. Ruined what would would have been a really nice round on Friday as well as what might have been my best round ever yesterday. Did it 3X again on the front 9 today and decided that playing the back just wouldn't be productive. (although I made stress-free pars on 7, 8 and 9, so it wasn't really a rage quit).

I go over to range and probably hit another 40 drives. Only pulled one of them. Just couldn't replicate it and I honestly have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Just a real bummer.

Been putting off taking a lesson for a while but I think I'm going to try and fit one in next week. Haven't had one for probably 4 years, so its time.

Just such a funny game.

Out of nowhere, I just started pulling drives left this weekend. Started with just slight pulls (into the left rough but relatively afe)  and got worse when I tried to "correct it". (probably just straight yanked 7 drives OB over the course of 2.5 round) Thought I might be playing it too far in my stance....nope. Thought i might just be overswinging....nope. Just couldn't figure it out. Ruined what would would have been a really nice round on Friday as well as what might have been my best round ever yesterday. Did it 3X again on the front 9 today and decided that playing the back just wouldn't be productive. (although I made stress-free pars on 7, 8 and 9, so it wasn't really a rage quit).

I go over to range and probably hit another 40 drives. Only pulled one of them. Just couldn't replicate it and I honestly have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Just a real bummer.

Been putting off taking a lesson for a while but I think I'm going to try and fit one in next week. Haven't had one for probably 4 years, so its time.
Not saying this is the case with you since all I have to go on is your text, but fast hips are my problem when this happens to me. It's usually from being too amped up, well rested, or somewhere in between. Before I'd deal with it then eventually straighten things out later in the round - natural fatigue settles in. This is where my mind went when you said the issue didn't repeat at the post round range.

To be more proactive, in recent years when this happens I tell my partner to drive and I walk. Forcing the fatigue. Couple holes of this and the big pull usually goes away. 

Not sure if that helps or not but I said it anyway. 

Not saying this is the case with you since all I have to go on is your text, but fast hips are my problem when this happens to me. It's usually from being too amped up, well rested, or somewhere in between. Before I'd deal with it then eventually straighten things out later in the round - natural fatigue settles in. This is where my mind went when you said the issue didn't repeat at the post round range.

To be more proactive, in recent years when this happens I tell my partner to drive and I walk. Forcing the fatigue. Couple holes of this and the big pull usually goes away. 

Not sure if that helps or not but I said it anyway. 

The hip thing is certainly possible. When I REALLY tried to slow myself down, it did help a little bit. Thinking about it some more, the range session afterwards probably wasn't a true representation. After all those swings, my form was definitely breaking down.

Probably not a LACK of fatigue thing. It got worse on the back 9 on both Friday (played first thing on the morning, rode 18)  and Saturday (walked the front, rode the back) And today I walked (and would have rode had I played the back, as it was hotter than I expected).

Guessing its probably some combination of my grip and/or coming getting too armsy on my downswing. I didn't feel like I was opening up too much/too fast, but who the hell knows. Hopefully the lesson will help.

Choked in my first medal/stroke play tournament this weekend. Three day event. Rain out day one. Plugging along until hole 13 where I made a quad (including a bounce off the styrofoam three putt). Wheels then came off the last five holes.  Today, triple on the same hole - with a three putt from five feet. Bogeyed the next three. Bogeys both days on the two easiest holes - shortish par 5s that I should have just laid up on. Just one birdie the entire tournament. Shot my two worst rounds ever at my home course. 

Humbling game. 
I'm over this and have been taking out the stick.  Had a few lip outs that were obviously down and was done with it.

I've got a buddy who was blasting his short putts (they'd likely go at minimum 10 feet by) at the pin and then saying it's good.  No more.  Putt it out.  I'll hold the flag with a towel.  

I'm over this and have been taking out the stick.  Had a few lip outs that were obviously down and was done with it.

I've got a buddy who was blasting his short putts (they'd likely go at minimum 10 feet by) at the pin and then saying it's good.  No more.  Putt it out.  I'll hold the flag with a towel.  
I had been too and they did relax the pin rules for the tourney. Just a dumb mental mistake on my part - was otherwise almost always taking it out inside five feet. 

Headed to PGA SS for a fitting Saturday. Buying new irons.  Last set I bought were knockoffs from Gigagolf 16 years ago. 

Excited to get back to playing more frequently after only playing at a few outings per year since 2009.  

Found my iron game :pickle:  I’ve slowed down my routine and do a practice take away like JT and I’m no longer taking away closed forcing me to adjust on the way down. Putter was off but not concerned just yet as there was only 2 3 putts on the round but I missed some par putts that are usually no brainers for me.

i should make clear that my normal routine was a practice swing then set and hit, literally 5-10 seconds and now I’m like 15-20 seconds total so it’s not some brutally slow pace. 

I'd probably be better if I took my time lol.

If it's my turn to play, I'm hitting my shot before the previous guy finishes putting his club back in the bag.

My normal preshot routine is stand behind the ball, pick a spot, address ball and swing.   No practice swings, no waggles.  The only time a take a practice stroke is on longer/tricky putts

The hip thing is certainly possible. When I REALLY tried to slow myself down, it did help a little bit. Thinking about it some more, the range session afterwards probably wasn't a true representation. After all those swings, my form was definitely breaking down.

Probably not a LACK of fatigue thing. It got worse on the back 9 on both Friday (played first thing on the morning, rode 18)  and Saturday (walked the front, rode the back) And today I walked (and would have rode had I played the back, as it was hotter than I expected).

Guessing its probably some combination of my grip and/or coming getting too armsy on my downswing. I didn't feel like I was opening up too much/too fast, but who the hell knows. Hopefully the lesson will help.
When you miss this big in my opinion it’s always alignment and ball position. Ball position too far forward likely culprit. Also alignment too closed will lead to blocks or in this case, pulls

Played 9 today. Birdied 2 and 3 and shot 38. Ball striking was really good. Much better. I now have to work on my short game again. I’m not controlling trajectory and spin with my wedges and what should be easy up and downs are turning into unnecessary bogeys. Should have shot par today. Anyway, 2 guys had hole in ones at our club so had a couple of drinks on them afterwards. Nice afternoon

Someone please explain.

Also my two iron sets are 30 and 35 years old.  Any real value in a new set?
A forged iron or “blade” won’t typically have a cavity back on it. They’re designed for better players who want to work the ball left/right on command and generally have smaller sweet spots. 

A game improvement iron is just that. It’ll help an average or poor player keep their distance on mis-hits and they’re designed to reduce spin so the ball will typically stay straighter following bad swings. 

There is a drastic difference in technology from 1990 to now in club design. I tell everyone who’s getting interested to groove a fairly consistent swing through practice and lessons first though before buying new equipment. 

Someone please explain.

Also my two iron sets are 30 and 35 years old.  Any real value in a new set?
The yardage distance has to do with the lofts.  Game improvement irons are incredibly de-lofted.  A true PW is 48 degrees.  Most game improvement PWs are 44 or 45 degrees.  They are more like hitting a traditional 9 iron.  That loft difference continues throughout the set.

The other big difference is game improvement irons are much easier to hit consistently.  They usually have a lower center of gravity, making it much easier to get them airborne and they have a much larger sweet spot, making them harder to mis-hit.  Blades, on the other hand, are much easier to work.... i.e. hit a fade or a draw with.  Of course, if you're only looking to hit the ball well consistently, then working the ball left or right isn't something you'd be looking for anyway.

One of those really good days. 38-38 -76. 2 birdies but a bit tentative with fast greens and tough pin placements and missed 6 makeable birdie putts.  14 GIR.  Could have been 72 or better. I’ll take it though. Was really happy how I thought through each shot and made zero mental mistakes. Right club every shot 

Was all over the place today, great drive, fat wedge. ####ty driv, great iron, ####ty putt. I actually topped an 8 iron today :lol:

But my big thing is my bunker play went to #### all of a sudden

Shot my PB of 83 at one of the local munis on Wednesday morn. Didn’t lose a ball. 

Going out to one of the hardest courses in the area for a 3pm tee time this afternoon. Preparing for 100 and pain. 

This has been a crazy weekend.  Went to my van fitting experience at PGA SS.  After about an hour the fitter tells me my money is better spent on lessons.  I appreciate the honesty, but kind of sucked.

I’ve had a lesson at Golftec back in the day and loved it, so 10 years later went for a lesson today.  It went great.  I have a lot to fix as I tend to push my irons right, but after a grip, setup and hip change, I was consistently lifting the ball. 

Walked out after signing up for 40 lessons and a fitting.  

Still swinging my 16 year old irons from gigagolf. 

This has been a crazy weekend.  Went to my van fitting experience at PGA SS.  After about an hour the fitter tells me my money is better spent on lessons.  I appreciate the honesty, but kind of sucked.

I’ve had a lesson at Golftec back in the day and loved it, so 10 years later went for a lesson today.  It went great.  I have a lot to fix as I tend to push my irons right, but after a grip, setup and hip change, I was consistently lifting the ball. 

Walked out after signing up for 40 lessons and a fitting.  

Still swinging my 16 year old irons from gigagolf. 
40 lessons??

:oldunsure:

Shot two 86's this weekend which is just about as good as it gets for me right now. (I've shot 2 fluky 82's and I think 2 other rounds under 86) The funny/sad thing is that I left completely unsatisfied with both of them.  I just continue to have a couple of completely unforced blowup holes each round that just totally screw my score over. And then today I'm driving the ball great all day and proceed to yank my tee shot on 18 OB :wall:   Just brutally frustrating.

Today I made 3 birdies including the 2nd of back to back chip in's (the other was a par save) which is obviously very rare for me. But I bogeyed the first 2 holes (which are 2 of the easiest on the course) and just completely blew a bunch of fairly straight forward approach shots

- Put a 9 iron into the front bunker on 6, took 2 shots to get out, double bogey

- Skulled a 54 degree over the green on 8 (par 5) after a great drive and great 2nd shot. Got lucky it stayed in bounds but couldn't get up and down. Bogey

- Sliced a hybrid into the fescue on 10 (hardest hole on the course) after a great drive. Couldn't find it. Double.

- Chunked a wedge and left it 15 yards short on 14 (par 5) after a great 2nd. Couldn't get up and down. Bogey

- BADLY chunked a PW on 16 after a great drive. Left myself a weird distance, which caused me to get too cute and shank my next one. Double.

And then the previously mentioned yanked drive on 18. Actually did a really good job after that (good "2nd shot" to to get back in the hole and then stuck a long iron inside 15 feet. Missed the putt for a par but ended up giving myself a 7 because I really should have re-loaded after the tee shot. My brother was trying to make it to a dinner spot before it closed)

Just an incredibly up and down round. If you told me I'd shoot an 86 with 4 doubles on the card and bogeys on 1 and 2, I'd probably sign for it all day. But it still sucks to leave a bunch of shots out there.

:30 sessions.  52 weeks
Man that’s a bunch. I guess it depends on how much works needs to be done. I signed up for a series of 3 after my game turned south. Took 2 and ended up working it out on my own going back to my old swing thoughts. Don’t want the 3rd. 

I always recommend lessons as well.  You'll be in pretty good shape in a year.  That's a lot of work to put in to your game. 

Users who are viewing this thread