What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2024 Golf Thread, pick up the pace, HCP be a changing *** (1 Viewer)

think you would enjoy some kind of perimeter weighted club - forged are pretty demanding clubs - and are going to hurt your score
What would the recommendation be for that type of club?

For reference, I'm playing some old Cobra S9's. Which for "off the rack" clubs haven't been too bad. 

In the simulator, however, I was hitting the Apexes pretty well. Wouldn't I grow into them? I don't know what "variant" or whatever the guy had me hitting.

Last edited by a moderator:
So it looks like for 2021 callaway has "all apex" irons of varying types.  Callaway bought ben hogan like 12 years ago and have been using the apex name

For reference, I'm playing some old Cobra S9's. Which for "off the rack" clubs haven't been too bad. 
The apex dcbs are a good club for your scoring  you are kind of in between. You are a higher end mid hcp. 

Completing the iron lineup is a new addition for 2021: Apex DCB 21. The model is Callaway’s answer for the 14 to 16 handicap golfer who didn’t quite fit the standard Apex. With a wider sole, additional offset and deeper cavity, the iron delivers another level of forgiveness and consistency. Along with shoring up turf interaction, the wider sole pushes weight deeper in the head to promote a higher launch.

In the simulator, however, I was hitting the Apexes pretty well. Wouldn't I grow into them? I don't know what "variant" or whatever the guy had me hitting.
Do you know which apexes you were hitting?

You might be fine with the "regular" apex. The regular apex are for 5 - 15 hcp per callaway

Do you know which apexes you were hitting?

You might be fine with the "regular" apex.
No I don't. I think I'll just start over at 2nd Swing since they have a much bigger selection of types and used sets. Their new store here in Minnetonka is great.

We have a PGA Superstore too. Really nice store, but they don't have too many used sets.

Could I interest you in a set of callaway apex forged 2013 with a project x 5.5 shaft or some hogan edges from 2005 ish?

I have been away from the game for going on six years so I would have to look around a bit.  I think you're on the right track by going with 1-2 year models that are highly rated. 

I know several guys really like the TaylorMade M-Series irons.  It looks like they are currently on the M6 model so you can check the M5s or 4s.  The Ping G Series get a lot of good reviews as well.   

I did see that the Callaway Apex has 3 models - with the DCB aimed at the 12+ handicappers so those would be great for you.  What you don't want are blades and small heads ...you are a lot more likely to get frustrated than improve.  

I have been away from the game for going on six years so I would have to look around a bit.  I think you're on the right track by going with 1-2 year models that are highly rated. 

I know several guys really like the TaylorMade M-Series irons.  It looks like they are currently on the M6 model so you can check the M5s or 4s.  The Ping G Series get a lot of good reviews as well.   

I did see that the Callaway Apex has 3 models - with the DCB aimed at the 12+ handicappers so those would be great for you.  What you don't want are blades and small heads ...you are a lot more likely to get frustrated than improve.  
btw - make sure and check lofts.  Some of them are really cranking up the loft for longer distances and they can vary quite a bit between manufacturers and models.  A 7 iron can be damn near an older 5 iron loft at times.  

Been considering joining my local country club for the past few years.  Go figure that this year when I'm ready to pull the trigger and join they have re-instituted the initiation fee due to increased interest/applications (the past 2 years they waived the initiation fee).

Been considering joining my local country club for the past few years.  Go figure that this year when I'm ready to pull the trigger and join they have re-instituted the initiation fee due to increased interest/applications (the past 2 years they waived the initiation fee).

Yeah, not shocking. My club (also in NJ) was INSANELY busy this past year. For the past 3+ years, I've been able to walk on pretty much any time after 4:30 during the week and after 2 on most weekends. (which is when I normally play. I'm not a morning person when it comes to golf)  This year, due to COVID, it was an absolute dogfight for tee times. The tee sheet opened up at 4 PM every day (for 2 weeks later) and by 4:15, pretty much any decent tee time was usually gone.

I hope our place does something similar, as its reasonably priced and IMO, oversold (at least based on last year's activity). Things could get ugly if they bring in a bunch more members for this year.

Started the round with 10 swings on the range.  The new clubs havent been used until that point.

• First drive right down the pike - 3 wood off the deck -- chip up to 2 feet - make birdie. 4  NEVER MAKE BIRDIE ON 1 this is going to be a bad day. 
  • Hole 2 perfect drive - wedge a touch fat - chip - slow green - 2 putt 5
  • Hole 3 - perfect drive hybrid off the tee - thin a sand wedge - dont get up and down make 5
  • First bad drive snap hook - hit a perfect 3 hybrid around the trees - fat wedge - ####ty chip 2 putt 6 double
  • Hole 5 - perfect drive - perfect second shot - wedge a little fat - 2 putt 5
  • Hole 6 - fat again - ####ty chip  ####ty chip- 2 putt double
  • Hole 7 - block driver - great second out of the trees - long left - trouble in the bunker with wet sand - make 6
  • Hole 8 - block hybrid - pitch out of trees - chip on - 2 putt 5 double.
  • Hole 9 - perfect drive - perfect 6 iron just left of the flag - good chip - lip out par putt 5
OUT - 46 my worst 9 ever at this course lol

Played pretty freaking good on the back had 2 bad shots.

IN 37 with a 3 putt par on 18...

Stupid golf 

Loving the clubs for now :)   The woods felt great - hybrid great.  Irons need some practice - my half wedge and chipping was all over today. Not bad for a 5 week layoff

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
Unleashed my @belljr yesterday, never before have I hit into a group. Tee time was 2 pm, the course is every 8 minutes so 151 rolls up and the starter (older lady) says we can go but just then 152 rolls up but only 2 of them. They say the other 2 are right behind so she say ok, now the group in front had already played their second into the green (par 4) so the box is ready to go but she she decides to let them go. Welp the 4some is filled with 2 couples, the guys take a minute to get ready and tee off and then the ladies take forever. All 4 of them hit lunch balls because they’ve shanked them :rolleyes:  so now it’s 201 and they are pulling away in their carts and the group ahead is teeing off on 2. I realize we may may not finish if this pace keeps up but try and remain positive but they each play their own shots through 5 holes, at this point we are an hour and half into the round! They are a full hole and a half behind the group in front and so I say #### it and call the clubhouse. They get a taking to at 7 but continue to be slow the next 2 holes, between the 9th and 10th is a bit of a hike and since we are walking we figure they should be gone at 10 :no:  even stopping for a beer and a piss they are still on the 10th green :rant:  I lose it and tee off into them while they are on the green (par 3 :lmao:  ) I’m 45 and they are probably 3-5 years older than me, at this point they look up at us and pick up their balls and then get in their cart and drive around the next 2 holes and head back to the clubhouse. The group ahead were teeing off on 13 :wall:  and of course we had to skip to 2 holes to beat the sun. #### slow golfers 

Damn on a par 3...that's gangster!!
I looked at the time when they left the 9th green, it was 20 minutes when we got to the tee box at 10 and that was with stopping for beer/bathroom. The group ahead was already on the 12th green which is a long par 5, 11 is a long par 4. Both my group and the group in front of them were all walkers!

Unleashed my @belljr yesterday, never before have I hit into a group. Tee time was 2 pm, the course is every 8 minutes so 151 rolls up and the starter (older lady) says we can go but just then 152 rolls up but only 2 of them. They say the other 2 are right behind so she say ok, now the group in front had already played their second into the green (par 4) so the box is ready to go but she she decides to let them go. Welp the 4some is filled with 2 couples, the guys take a minute to get ready and tee off and then the ladies take forever. All 4 of them hit lunch balls because they’ve shanked them :rolleyes:  so now it’s 201 and they are pulling away in their carts and the group ahead is teeing off on 2. I realize we may may not finish if this pace keeps up but try and remain positive but they each play their own shots through 5 holes, at this point we are an hour and half into the round! They are a full hole and a half behind the group in front and so I say #### it and call the clubhouse. They get a taking to at 7 but continue to be slow the next 2 holes, between the 9th and 10th is a bit of a hike and since we are walking we figure they should be gone at 10 :no:  even stopping for a beer and a piss they are still on the 10th green :rant:  I lose it and tee off into them while they are on the green (par 3 :lmao:  ) I’m 45 and they are probably 3-5 years older than me, at this point they look up at us and pick up their balls and then get in their cart and drive around the next 2 holes and head back to the clubhouse. The group ahead were teeing off on 13 :wall:  and of course we had to skip to 2 holes to beat the sun. #### slow golfers 
Bad move. What’s to gain? Skip in front of them and then play that hole later or take your handicap on the hole 

This summer my wife and I decided we are going to 3-4 golf weekends in Northern MI.  so many great course there.    We are going with our good friends.   My buddy and I will golf while the girls shop and drink wine.

Booked the first weekend to play Arcadia Bluffs one day.  

Next day we are playing Crystal Mountain Resort Course.  Have heard so many great things about Arcadia Bluffs.

Golf is booming and it was difficult getting a weekend tee time in June already up north.

This summer my wife and I decided we are going to 3-4 golf weekends in Northern MI.  so many great course there.    We are going with our good friends.   My buddy and I will golf while the girls shop and drink wine.

Booked the first weekend to play Arcadia Bluffs one day.  

Next day we are playing Crystal Mountain Resort Course.  Have heard so many great things about Arcadia Bluffs.

Golf is booming and it was difficult getting a weekend tee time in June already up north.
I wish I could do something like this - I dont have a married couple my wife hangs out with and the guy golfs or vice versa.

Bad move. What’s to gain? Skip in front of them and then play that hole later or take your handicap on the hole 
Yeah, looking back I wish I hadn’t but the frustration got the best of me. Skipping was gonna happen after the 10th, we were gonna skip 11 and go play the 12th from about 200 yards out. Walking makes it tough to skip with the courses layout.

Yeah, looking back I wish I hadn’t but the frustration got the best of me. Skipping was gonna happen after the 10th, we were gonna skip 11 and go play the 12th from about 200 yards out. Walking makes it tough to skip with the courses layout.
Those malakas will think twice about not letting people play through... I bet they don't even know that's an option.... :)

in all seriousness can't say I would ever pull that move lol

I find myself looking out the window multiple times every day and yelling "Melt FASTER!" at the snow.

Can see the light at the end of the tunnel but there's still 2 foot piles of snow. At least we can see SOME grass.

Maybe in 10 days or so if the temps get into the low 50's and stay there?

By this time last year I believe I'd played at least 5 rounds.

I wish I could do something like this - I dont have a married couple my wife hangs out with and the guy golfs or vice versa.
3 of the couples we hang out with the guys all golf, the women don`t.  So it works out perfect.  Plus my one buddy has a place outside of Traverse City on a lake.  So the girls just hit wineries or sit out by the water all day and have a good time.  They never complain when we tee off at 8am and come home at 4-5pm half loaded as they are having just as good of a time as us.

Well, I'm committed to new clubs now. Sold my old set on Craigslist this morning. :unsure:
Used club market is hot right now.       What are you getting?

I sold my Calloway Razr Irons in 1 day last summer.  Put them on Marketplace and left the house.  When I checked my phone I already had 8 offers.  Probably should have asked for more.  Good thing is it was a guy around 25 who was just atarting to golf.   I have a bunch of clubs in my garage..he ended up buying an older TaylorMade driver and 3 wood and a Ping putter too.

Used club market is hot right now.       What are you getting?
I'm not sure. Going to get the free fitting they do at 2nd Swing and see what they recommend.

The two options I hear of most are the Callaway Apex (I might stretch my budget to get the GCBs) and TaylorMade P770.

My buddy recommended I check out the Ping i500.

I'm not sure. Going to get the free fitting they do at 2nd Swing and see what they recommend.

The two options I hear of most are the Callaway Apex (I might stretch my budget to get the GCBs) and TaylorMade P770.

My buddy recommended I check out the Ping i500.
I have the P790s and love them. However, they are going to be much lower spin than the Apexs or the Pings (not sure what fits your game better). 

Hopefully they also recommend a shaft. 

I have the P790s and love them. However, they are going to be much lower spin than the Apexs or the Pings (not sure what fits your game better). 

Hopefully they also recommend a shaft. 
I don't know my game well enough to know what fits my game. :lol:

If I play a dozen times a year, it was a good year. 

I think they recommend it all...shaft, grip, adjust the lie, etc.

I don't know my game well enough to know what fits my game. :lol:

If I play a dozen times a year, it was a good year. 

I think they recommend it all...shaft, grip, adjust the lie, etc.
Nice. The bolded stuff is more important than the clubhead anyway. 

So I've been through the custom fitting thing throughout my bag.  I'm going back to focusing on the guy swinging the club, not the clubs themselves.  I was a really consistent player for a lot of years.  Not that I was purely flushing it all of the time or my great swings necessarily that great.  But my misses were narrow.  I'd be pin high.  On, maybe a little left, maybe a little right.  But I was right there.  Never blew up.  Played a baby cut to pretty straight but could work the ball if I needed to.  Swing path was pretty solid - wasn't slicing or coming over the top.  I tried to take left out of play.

Then I joined a club.  Most of the good players hit big draws.  Took lessons.  Watched videos online like from Clay Ballard.  Tried to hit more draws.  Come from the inside, post, rotate hard.  When everything timed up and I cleared my hips the results were pretty.  But man it's been hard for me to do that consistently.  I work so hard trying to clear and create room that it seems like I'm fighting my body.  I've done impact bag drills, work with force pedals to get footwork down, etc.  Too many mi####s, too many blocks to the right.

So I started to go back to what worked for me before.  My old instructor (he won Big Break Scotland and is a legend around here) had me do a Hollywood Squares type drill.  Straight shot normal trajectory, Straight shot high trajectory, straight show low trajectory, then the same with draws and fades.  When I started doing the fades I realized how much easier it was for me to a) line up b) clear.  I get in trouble when my stance/body get closed.  Impossible to clear.  Setting up for a cut eliminated that.   So I took it to the course yesterday.  Not one mi####.  Everything pin high.  Higher ball flight (which helps with our elevated greens).  Ball stopped quicker on fast greens.  So I'm going back to that as my stock shot.  My issue for a little while is going to be double crosses as I was trying to sling the clubhead through.  Had a couple yesterday but not bad.  We'll see.  Hopeful I can be back on a path of consistent golf.  Tough game.

Welp we still have old man drama and I may have frodo my dad but I honestly don't give a ####.  I just want to play golf. And tbh even if I don't play with my group I have 30 rounds at 6 courses for 1700 bucks with membership benefits.  5 of the courses avg about 120 on the weekends during peek season so even if I only use 10-15, I "sell" my others to my buddies.   

• Smile
Welp we still have old man drama and I may have frodo my dad but I honestly don't give a ####.  I just want to play golf. And tbh even if I don't play with my group I have 30 rounds at 6 courses for 1700 bucks with membership benefits.  5 of the courses avg about 120 on the weekends during peek season so even if I only use 10-15, I "sell" my others to my buddies.   
That sucks and super weird. But the goal of golf is to eliminate all drama. 

Judge Smails said:
So I've been through the custom fitting thing throughout my bag.  I'm going back to focusing on the guy swinging the club, not the clubs themselves.  I was a really consistent player for a lot of years.  Not that I was purely flushing it all of the time or my great swings necessarily that great.  But my misses were narrow.  I'd be pin high.  On, maybe a little left, maybe a little right.  But I was right there.  Never blew up.  Played a baby cut to pretty straight but could work the ball if I needed to.  Swing path was pretty solid - wasn't slicing or coming over the top.  I tried to take left out of play.

Then I joined a club.  Most of the good players hit big draws.  Took lessons.  Watched videos online like from Clay Ballard.  Tried to hit more draws.  Come from the inside, post, rotate hard.  When everything timed up and I cleared my hips the results were pretty.  But man it's been hard for me to do that consistently.  I work so hard trying to clear and create room that it seems like I'm fighting my body.  I've done impact bag drills, work with force pedals to get footwork down, etc.  Too many mi####s, too many blocks to the right.

So I started to go back to what worked for me before.  My old instructor (he won Big Break Scotland and is a legend around here) had me do a Hollywood Squares type drill.  Straight shot normal trajectory, Straight shot high trajectory, straight show low trajectory, then the same with draws and fades.  When I started doing the fades I realized how much easier it was for me to a) line up b) clear.  I get in trouble when my stance/body get closed.  Impossible to clear.  Setting up for a cut eliminated that.   So I took it to the course yesterday.  Not one mi####.  Everything pin high.  Higher ball flight (which helps with our elevated greens).  Ball stopped quicker on fast greens.  So I'm going back to that as my stock shot.  My issue for a little while is going to be double crosses as I was trying to sling the clubhead through.  Had a couple yesterday but not bad.  We'll see.  Hopeful I can be back on a path of consistent golf.  Tough game.
I have been a solid 12 on a good day, 15-16 on a bad day handicaper.   Usuallyright around the mid 80 level and I never practice other than hit a few balls before a round.   Problem is I play with a bunch of guys that are from 1-7 handicaps who all hit big drives with draw.     My drives are mostly straight but I will cut it on a tight hole.  If I draw my drives it is by accident.

2 years ago I decided to put more time in and take lessons and the pro worked on my drawing my drives.   No joke..the first time I teed it up in my league trying to use my new draw stance I swung and whiffed. I have never swung and missed in my life.  My buddies were laughing their asses off because they knew I was taking lessons.   For the next 2 months I went from shooting 82-85 to the low 90s and my driver was all over the place and OB  a few times a round.  Then it started screwing up my irons.

Then a teaching pro who plays in my golf leage met me at the range and said go back to what was working off the tee before, then just concentrate on your 150 yard in game.

Golf is a funny game, the good golfers I play with think I am fair at best.    When I play with my friends they think I am really good.

Andy Dufresne said:
I plan to. But if I can find a set I like at the approximately $800 mark like the Cobras versus the $1200 for the Callaway GCBs, then I'm going to do it.
For sure. My point was simply don’t go in with a bias to a particular/club brand.  

The fitter should apprise you a cheaper options if the specs are reasonably negligible. 

I have been a solid 12 on a good day, 15-16 on a bad day handicaper.   Usuallyright around the mid 80 level and I never practice other than hit a few balls before a round.   Problem is I play with a bunch of guys that are from 1-7 handicaps who all hit big drives with draw.     My drives are mostly straight but I will cut it on a tight hole.  If I draw my drives it is by accident.

2 years ago I decided to put more time in and take lessons and the pro worked on my drawing my drives.   No joke..the first time I teed it up in my league trying to use my new draw stance I swung and whiffed. I have never swung and missed in my life.  My buddies were laughing their asses off because they knew I was taking lessons.   For the next 2 months I went from shooting 82-85 to the low 90s and my driver was all over the place and OB  a few times a round.  Then it started screwing up my irons.

Then a teaching pro who plays in my golf leage met me at the range and said go back to what was working off the tee before, then just concentrate on your 150 yard in game.

Golf is a funny game, the good golfers I play with think I am fair at best.    When I play with my friends they think I am really good.
I can relate. The reason I want to hit a baby cut has more to do with irons than anything. I can draw the ball with a driver.  I can’t afford to give up distance off the tee.  But it’s hard to have 2 stock shots. Can’t have 2 way misses 

I can relate. The reason I want to hit a baby cut has more to do with irons than anything. I can draw the ball with a driver.  I can’t afford to give up distance off the tee.  But it’s hard to have 2 stock shots. Can’t have 2 way misses 
I took one lesson once and the guy worked on my hinge at the top. Ruined me for 2 years :lmao:

I tore my rotator cuff 2 years ago when I fell on ice.  Combine that with getting older and not swinging as fast my distance is down.  7 iron used to be a solid 160 and last year was struggling to hit it 150.

What driver are you using?  My buddy who is a 3-4 but just turned 55 and was losing distance bought a Calloway Epic-Flash driver last year and claims it added 15 yards to his drives.

I tore my rotator cuff 2 years ago when I fell on ice.  Combine that with getting older and not swinging as fast my distance is down.  7 iron used to be a solid 160 and last year was struggling to hit it 150.

What driver are you using?  My buddy who is a 3-4 but just turned 55 and was losing distance bought a Calloway Epic-Flash driver last year and claims it added 15 yards to his drives.
Have you changed shafts?

When I told the fitting guy I intended the new clubs to be in my bad through my 50's (oy vey, I can't believe I just typed that) the shaft he chose was the UST Recoil 460 F3. 

Designed with stiffer mid and butt sections to produce better shot control, softer tip section for improved feel and trajectory, and lower torque to provide improved shot dispersion.
That sounds...naughty!  :blush:

Those launch monitors they have are amazing. I learned that the 5-ish year old Titleist 910 driver that I have is basically garbage. It's known to have high spin rates. Combine that with my more iron than wood like swing and it's no wonder I don't get very good distance on my drives. 

• Smile

Users who are viewing this thread