Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***Official 2021 Golf Thread, you better play fast!***

3 hours ago, parrot said:

Bought the Kirkland wedge set the other day - 52/56/60. $160 for the set.  Really solid clubs.  Recommend for anyone who wants to update their wedges without breaking the bank.  One drawback is you can't hit them before buying.  

They had lefty putters in stock again and my kids got me that for my bday.  I like it

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1
  • Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After 25 years of playing golf I had my first hole in one last night.  Hole was playing 165. would usually hit a 6 but hit a 7 because it was downwind.   It came off high and I thought it was going to

I've played golf for over 20 years now(since my early teens).  Been anywhere from a 1-7 handicap for the last 15.  Never have had a hole in one.   My brother is 4 years younger than me.   He star

Played in the State Amateur last weekend. Three day stroke play tournament at my home course, but they set it up so hard that it was like playing a whole new course.  Putts were breaking in ways I had

5 minutes ago, SouthJersey said:

They had lefty putters in stock again and my kids got me that for my bday.  I like it

The wedges were technically my birthday present too.  I was eyeing the putters as well but wasn't sure I could convince the wife I need $300 more in clubs for my bday after getting new irons for Christmas.    

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Da Guru said:

Looking at new drivers.  Anyone hitting the Cobra Speed Zone Extreme?   Dont feel like spending 5-600.  This was last years model for 299.00 everywhere now.

I have never been able to hit Cobra drivers. 

I know you said new, but I did pick up a Ping G400 Max. Hit that and the standard G400 at 2nd Swing and the Max went at least 20 yards farther on every shot. It's not very attractive, but I like it. Lots of positive reviews online & Youtube. The Max can be had for around $300.

Need some help fellas.  I signed up for my 1st club tournament, never played in a golf tourney before.  It's an ABCD format and I'm the high handicapper of the group.

Questions:

1) How does this format work?  I googled but most of the stuff I see refers to it as a scrable but from what I gather this isn't a scramble

2)  Any do's/don'ts as the high handicapper?  How badly can I screw my team with my inconsistent play?

3) Any other tournament tips?  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SouthJersey said:

Need some help fellas.  I signed up for my 1st club tournament, never played in a golf tourney before.  It's an ABCD format and I'm the high handicapper of the group.

Questions:

1) How does this format work?  I googled but most of the stuff I see refers to it as a scrable but from what I gather this isn't a scramble

2)  Any do's/don'ts as the high handicapper?  How badly can I screw my team with my inconsistent play?

My guess is that it's a best ball, which means that the best net score of the 4 golfers on your team is the score of your team.  The other 3 scores get thrown out.

As the D golfer, you have very little pressure. If you stink, well, you stink.  If you do great, you will be ribbed for being a sandbagger.  Inconsistency is your friend as making a par on a hole where you get 1 or even 2 strokes could also be HUGE for your team.  Nobody expects you to carry or even contribute.  The A/Bs should be able to make up for your inconsistency.      

Your job is to be aware of the holes that you get strokes on and to always take into account your net score.  Ask for help with rules as you don't want to give up on a hole too early.  You might have a putt for bogey or even double bogey that means something to the team so take each shot seriously until it is obvious that you are out of the hole, then just pick up your ball, crack open a beer, and support your teammates. Just enjoy the company you're in, don't take things too seriously (nobody likes playing with a grump or sulker), and play.    

• Like 3
Posted (edited)

You need to check with the club. I assume you have a hcp?

If it's not a scramble a lot of places will do 2 low score net, for ABCD Sometimes a shamble.

My big thing if I'm playing with a D.   Know your etiquette.  And be ready to play your turn.  That doesn't mean rush but don't be super slow.  If you are truly out of a hole don't be afraid to pick up .

*Check the tourney rules before picking up.   Scramble it won't matter

Edited by belljr
19 minutes ago, Mookie said:

My guess is that it's a best ball, which means that the best net score of the 4 golfers on your team is the score of your team.  The other 3 scores get thrown out.

As the D golfer, you have very little pressure. If you stink, well, you stink.  If you do great, you will be ribbed for being a sandbagger.  Inconsistency is your friend as making a par on a hole where you get 1 or even 2 strokes could also be HUGE for your team.  Nobody expects you to carry or even contribute.  The A/Bs should be able to make up for your inconsistency.      

Your job is to be aware of the holes that you get strokes on and to always take into account your net score.  Ask for help with rules as you don't want to give up on a hole too early.  You might have a putt for bogey or even double bogey that means something to the team so take each shot seriously until it is obvious that you are out of the hole, then just pick up your ball, crack open a beer, and support your teammates. Just enjoy the company you're in, don't take things too seriously (nobody likes playing with a grump or sulker), and play.    

Perfect.  Cracking beers and having fun is what i'm about, so that works.

How do I calculate if I'm out of a hole or not?

1 hour ago, SouthJersey said:

Questions:

You need to check the format.  These tourneys will either be a best ball type, where your team records the 2 best net scores of the group, or it will be a scramble, where you play the best ball each shot.

If it's best ball, just play your game.  Don't try to keep up with the other guys as they'll be better golfers than you.  If you manage to post 2 net scores for your team during the day, they'll be ecstatic.  Like others already mentioned, just be considerate of golf etiquette.  Don't play slow.  Don't stand in your partners' lines.  Don't get too drunk before the tourney is over.  

A scramble is a whole different animal.  You won't be needed for your shot most of the time, but contribute two or three good shots and your team will be smiling.  Work on your lag putting.  Your team will likely have you putt first to get a good idea of the line.  This only works if you're lagging it to the hole pretty well, so work on your lag(ideally leaving the ball 1-2 feet past the hole on each putt).  Also, usually in these types of scrambles, the teams are expected to use everyone's drive once or twice.  If that's the case, then work on hitting fairways off the tee.  Your team will know they're gonna have to use a lesser shot for your drives, so don't try and blast it up there with them.  Just get it off the tee and keep it somewhat straight.  You hit 4-5 fairways and your team will be able to choose when to use that drive wisely and you'll be ahead of other teams where their D players are topping it/slicing it all day long because they're trying to get it out there 300+ like their A and B players.

Finally, and I can't stress this enough, don't take it too seriously.  Golf tourneys for amateurs are supposed to be fun.  Drink some beers with the boys, make jokes, and have fun.  Every tourney team will be better off if all their players are enjoying the day rather than treating it like the US Open.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, belljr said:

If it's not a scramble a lot of places will do 2 low score net, for ABCD Sometimes a shamble.

My big thing if I'm playing with a D.   Know your etiquette.  And be ready to play your turn.  That doesn't mean rush but don't be super slow.  If you are truly out of a hole don't be afraid to pick up .

I'm currently a 28.  The rules are supposedly posted in the clubhouse but I'm out of town until the night before the tournament.

3 minutes ago, encaitar said:

You need to check the format.  These tourneys will either be a best ball type, where your team records the 2 best net scores of the group, or it will be a scramble, where you play the best ball each shot.

If it's best ball, just play your game.  Don't try to keep up with the other guys as they'll be better golfers than you.  If you manage to post 2 net scores for your team during the day, they'll be ecstatic.  Like others already mentioned, just be considerate of golf etiquette.  Don't play slow.  Don't stand in your partners' lines.  Don't get too drunk before the tourney is over.  

A scramble is a whole different animal.  You won't be needed for your shot most of the time, but contribute two or three good shots and your team will be smiling.  Work on your lag putting.  Your team will likely have you putt first to get a good idea of the line.  This only works if you're lagging it to the hole pretty well, so work on your lag(ideally leaving the ball 1-2 feet past the hole on each putt).  Also, usually in these types of scrambles, the teams are expected to use everyone's drive once or twice.  If that's the case, then work on hitting fairways off the tee.  Your team will know they're gonna have to use a lesser shot for your drives, so don't try and blast it up there with them.  Just get it off the tee and keep it somewhat straight.  You hit 4-5 fairways and your team will be able to choose when to use that drive wisely and you'll be ahead of other teams where their D players are topping it/slicing it all day long because they're trying to get it out there 300+ like their A and B players.

Finally, and I can't stress this enough, don't take it too seriously.  Golf tourneys for amateurs are supposed to be fun.  Drink some beers with the boys, make jokes, and have fun.  Every tourney team will be better off if all their players are enjoying the day rather than treating it like the US Open.

Thanks.  A handful of good drives, chips, putts is doable.  My high handicap comes from blowing up holes where I shank into water or chip over the green and then 3-putt.

15 minutes ago, SouthJersey said:

I'm currently a 28.  The rules are supposedly posted in the clubhouse but I'm out of town until the night before the tournament.

As others said don't stress too much either.  If you have guys that aren't pricks they'll help you along the way.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SouthJersey said:

Perfect.  Cracking beers and having fun is what i'm about, so that works.

How do I calculate if I'm out of a hole or not?

"Guys, I'm in the bunker lying 6.  Can I pick up?"

"Well, that's two out of bounds off the tee and you guys are in the fairway - time for a beer and a nice enjoyable walk?"

"This putt is for net bogey. Does it mean anything?"

"Great putt Fred!  I guess mine doesn't matter then?" 

There could also be times where you are putting for 8 but are on the same or similar line as a guy putting for par/birdie.  The shark move is to ask "Do you want me to putt mine first so I show you the line?" even if your teammate is further away from the hole.  Giving him a free read could help him or just be a good team move. 

• Like 3
6 hours ago, SouthJersey said:

Been there man. Keep grinding.

Just as an aside, make sure you're actually calculating your score correctly when posting. The most you can take on a hole is net double bogey.  So figure out your course handicap at your place and you can determine what strokes you're getting on each hole.

If its one of the easier holes on your course and you're only getting 1 stroke, the most you can take is a triple. Even if you put 2 balls OB and 3 putt on a par 4, it might only be a 7 for indexing purposes.

Edited by TLEF316
  • Like 1

Hey guys,

I'm heading out the Pebble Beach :flex: in June for a corporate golf event. We are going to be sponsoring some of our business partners for two rounds. In years past when we have sponsored (this is the first year I am going but we have been doing this for 5+ years), we always provide some sort of branded swag. Usually it's a  box of ProV1's, golf shirts, shoe bag, golf towel, ball marker, etc. I'm looking for something a little different since all of those items end up getting piled up in the garage or closet because you have so many of them. I was thinking about a branded Yeti 20oz/30oz tumbler. Maybe a decent golf umbrella? For those of you that frequent these types of events, what have you received that made you say "Wow, that's pretty cool" versus "Eh" and just throw it in your bag? It doesn't necessarily have to be golf related but that's preferred. 

Man, this weekend was such a grind. I just can't seem to put the whole game together for one round. There's always one part of my game that isn't quite on (or I play great on one side and poorly on the other).

Last year, my "good rounds" were in the 87-88 range with my "bad rounds" up around 92-93.  I've posted 8 rounds since the 1st (first day of posting here in NJ) and all but one have been in the 85-88 range  (had one 93 over 2 combined days where I was just awful).

Its nice to feel like I played "badly" and still shoot an 88. Like yesterday, I started off 6-6 on our first 2 holes (2 of the easiest on the course) and didn't make a par until the 6th hole.(a really nice 2 putt after a bad drive)   I was fighting the driver on the front 9 and just could not make a putt all day. Ended up going 44 on the front (good score for me is a 40) and 44 on the back despite having to re-tee on 13 (yanked by drive OB). Had multiple lipouts and like 5 edge burners and just a horrible 3 putt on the last hole.

I just feel like I've got a low 80's round coming (my personal best is an 82, which I think I've done like 3x). One of these days the putts are going to drop. 

The only wrinkle here is that our greens obviously haven't fully sped up yet. So that could create a wider range of results on days when my touch is off (or I short-side myself)

38 minutes ago, Senor Schmutzig said:

Hey guys,

I'm heading out the Pebble Beach :flex: in June for a corporate golf event. We are going to be sponsoring some of our business partners for two rounds. In years past when we have sponsored (this is the first year I am going but we have been doing this for 5+ years), we always provide some sort of branded swag. Usually it's a  box of ProV1's, golf shirts, shoe bag, golf towel, ball marker, etc. I'm looking for something a little different since all of those items end up getting piled up in the garage or closet because you have so many of them. I was thinking about a branded Yeti 20oz/30oz tumbler. Maybe a decent golf umbrella? For those of you that frequent these types of events, what have you received that made you say "Wow, that's pretty cool" versus "Eh" and just throw it in your bag? It doesn't necessarily have to be golf related but that's preferred. 

Love the Yeti tumbler idea - that would get a lot of use, and much more so than an umbrella, which would sit in the closet.  ProV's are always appreciated, and even better yet, a choice of ProV1, V1x, Supersoft, TP5, shows you want to make the effort to accommodate everyone's preference.  A print (framed or unframed) of some iconic hole would also be nice too (#7-10, 18).

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Todd from Utah said:

Man, this weekend was such a grind. I just can't seem to put the whole game together for one round. There's always one part of my game that isn't quite on (or I play great on one side and poorly on the other).

Last year, my "good rounds" were in the 87-88 range with my "bad rounds" up around 92-93.  I've posted 8 rounds since the 1st (first day of posting here in NJ) and all but one have been in the 85-88 range  (had one 93 over 2 combined days where I was just awful).

Its nice to feel like I played "badly" and still shoot an 88. Like yesterday, I started off 6-6 on our first 2 holes (2 of the easiest on the course) and didn't make a par until the 6th hole.(a really nice 2 putt after a bad drive)   I was fighting the driver on the front 9 and just could not make a putt all day. Ended up going 44 on the front (good score for me is a 40) and 44 on the back despite having to re-tee on 13 (yanked by drive OB). Had multiple lipouts and like 5 edge burners and just a horrible 3 putt on the last hole.

I just feel like I've got a low 80's round coming (my personal best is an 82, which I think I've done like 3x). One of these days the putts are going to drop. 

The only wrinkle here is that our greens obviously haven't fully sped up yet. So that could create a wider range of results on days when my touch is off (or I short-side myself)

I've always found that extra practice helps me break out of a rut eventually.  I also find that when I'm not overly concerned about making a score, and just play and enjoy the day, I tend to score better.   Getting too focused on a number creates pressure, and pressure is not going to help your score.  I try to think about light grip pressure, easy tempo, and solid contact with every club, even chipping and putting.

One of my regular playing partners broke 80 for the first time last summer.  I'd been playing with him for about 20 years.  He had about 15 chances to do it in the years leading up, but choked every single time in spectacular ways.  4 putt on #18 for 80.  OB on 17 and 18 for 82.  Shank into the hazard on 18 from 90 yards for 81.  He finally shot 76, which included a double eagle on the 14th hole and coasted in - didn't add up his score until we were done.  After that, he broke 80 about 5 more times.  It was all mental, and playing relaxed was the key for him - he called it IDGAF golf, and he's thinking about a patent, golf shirts, hats, and late night infomercials. We're expecting it to blow up like the Hammer    

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Senor Schmutzig said:

Hey guys,

1/4 zip pullovers, putters, headcovers, shadowbox with memorabilia, airpods, ipads.

• Like 1

Started a men's league Thursday nights - walking 9 holes.  Shot 43 for my first go around - pretty happy with it.  3 pars, 1 double.  Goal is to just avoid blow up holes.  Hoping to get in around my work schedule a couple times a month.  

It was high 60's, low 70's here (Central PA) on Monday and Tuesday. Yesterday morning, it was 64 degrees. Then a massive cold front moved in. By the time we got to the final hole at league last evening, it was 41 degrees and sustained winds of 22mph. In my 35 years of playing, it was the coldest Ive ever been while golfing. Just miserable. :violin:

7 minutes ago, E-Z Glider said:

It was high 60's, low 70's here (Central PA) on Monday and Tuesday. Yesterday morning, it was 64 degrees. Then a massive cold front moved in. By the time we got to the final hole at league last evening, it was 41 degrees and sustained winds of 22mph. In my 35 years of playing, it was the coldest Ive ever been while golfing. Just miserable. :violin:

Sounds like the one round I played in January

• Sad 1
On 4/15/2021 at 11:23 AM, belljr said:

My club does it where it's a three day tournament and each player A-D plays together one of the days in a two-man best ball format. If this is a club tournament I doubt it's a scramble and I would presume they want to separate teams per box (or an 8 ball and a hell of a long day). 

In short, I wouldn't focus so much on the format. Instead:

1. Be aware of your stroke holes. If it's a best ball then at your handicap your double bogey could very well matter. Mentally, think of those holes as "your holes" and choose to focus the hardest on them. Swing hard and take chances on the others (assuming your teammate(s) is/are in play). 

2. Don't be nervous about the rules, but don't assume anything either. When in doubt ask your A player for help. As pointed out above provided you aren't playing with pricks it'll be okay. However, I have played with pricks before and they do exist and will call you on obscure rules. It sucks, but the club pro will almost always side with the actual rule than perhaps even fundamental fairness (e.g. you made a genuine mistake that didn't even improve your score). 

3. Be cool. Be loose and have fun. If guys enjoy you being around you'll have fun. If guys are drinking, drinking. If guys aren't, absolutely imbide but don't be falling down wasted by 18. That's no fun. 

4. If it's a scramble, follow the above advice. In short, you're the team's guinea pig and it's a huge lift if you can get something in the fairway, show a line on a putt, etc. I play often as an A and I can't put into writing the lift I feel when my D player hits a good shot and I usually will, in turn, hit a good shot because I have zero nerves. Then you'll really have fun when you randomly can a fifty footer or skull a chip in. :) 

• Like 1

Been slammed at work so I haven't been able to post but last week was the best golf of my life. Played in a prominent club's match play team championship. Five days of match play. My index was at 8.7 but I played as a ten given the tees and course rating. My partner is a 2 so we were in the third to highest flight (first flights was almost all pros). Very serious tournament. 

In the five rounds I never shot worse than my number. My scores were: 80, 78, 82, 75, and 80. Round I shot 75 my partner and I closed out our opponents - the favorite to win the flight and prominent club heels - 6 and 5. Same day we were involved in a three team playoff to get to the championship match. On the third playoff holes my partner hit two OB so it was all on me and I went on to net birdie to send us to the championship. Made a five footer center cup without a doubt. Probably the most proud golf moment of my life. We lost in the championship with the other team just playing better so was hard to be disappointed. 

I play next tomorrow and will probably shoot 88, and last work knocked by index way down which will cost me some future key strokes in cash games, but regardless that was an amazing week. 

• Like 7
On 4/19/2021 at 10:24 AM, Nugget said:

Started a men's league Thursday nights - walking 9 holes.  Shot 43 for my first go around - pretty happy with it.  3 pars, 1 double.  Goal is to just avoid blow up holes.  Hoping to get in around my work schedule a couple times a month.  

This is so key. My current birdie rate is about the same as when I was a 14 handicap (about 1.7/round). Biggest change has been eliminated doubles or worse and being totally happy and content to play like David Simms. 

• Like 1
On 4/20/2021 at 1:37 PM, Andy Dufresne said:

Finally got my new clubs in my hands today. Like the old man said about his leg lamp...they're indescribably beautiful!

Just in time to play a round on Thursday!

Good news is, my new clubs are as advertised. I felt good playing them, especially the Ping driver.

Bad news...I'm still atrocious around the green. Short chipping from the rough is the bane of my existence.

16 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Good news is, my new clubs are as advertised. I felt good playing them, especially the Ping driver.

Bad news...I'm still atrocious around the green. Short chipping from the rough is the bane of my existence.

At night when you're watching TV or whatever instead of sitting on the couch just air chip mindlessly on your carpet. Work on just brushing the carpet so you can see the indent but not so your club bounces. 

I had a similar issue and the above did wonders for me just for muscle memory and getting used to wear my clubhead would contact the ground relative to my feet position and the type of chip swing I'm using. 

Regarding swings, I'd also recommend learning at least two reliable strokes you're comfortable with (I have a back foot steeper stroke and a front foot more open/flop type stroke that I primarily utilize). 

• Thanks 1

Got fitted for new irons this morning and got some new Pings (710?). They had to bend them fairly upright as I guess I hit more off the toe. Now, just need some weather around here that isn’t teh suck. 

1 hour ago, 3 hour lunch said:

Got fitted for new irons this morning and got some new Pings (710?). They had to bend them fairly upright as I guess I hit more off the toe. Now, just need some weather around here that isn’t teh suck. 

Probably 770's if they're new. Nice clubs, they look great! My buddy just got some.

3 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Probably 770's if they're new. Nice clubs, they look great! My buddy just got some.

They’re actually G410s so I guess not the newest model but I’m ok with that. Under $700, which was nice. I had Diablos from like 12 years ago so an upgrade regardless! 

• Like 2
On 4/20/2021 at 12:37 PM, Andy Dufresne said:

Finally got my new clubs in my hands today. Like the old man said about his leg lamp...they're indescribably beautiful!

Just in time to play a round on Thursday!

I looked at those really hard before pulling the trigger on some M2s that were just too good a deal to pass up.  Been playing well with them but that clip brought my buyer's remorse roaring back.  They really are a beautiful club.  

Edited by parrot

So had one of those four and a half hour rounds where I wanted to murder somebody because you got to wait five f****** minutes for every shot you cannot play golf like that I'm just so f****** aggravated right now

• Laughing 2
11 minutes ago, belljr said:

So had one of those four and a half hour rounds where I wanted to murder somebody because you got to wait five f****** minutes for every shot you cannot play golf like that I'm just so f****** aggravated right now

:lmao: I’m dying 

My buddies and I have started a new routine when we run into this issue, we play 2 balls but only score the first one. We usually only have to wait 2 minutes doing that at our Sunday track but it’s less frustrating. Also you only put the first one, no one is getting an extra read on the green!

On 4/19/2021 at 10:46 AM, Senor Schmutzig said:

Hey guys,

Ball mark repair tool.
Valuables bag
Mini-towel - I have one (not custom) with a clip for my belt and love this thing.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Custom-Print-Logo-Black-Microfiber-Wet_62106324322.html?spm=a2700.7724857.normal_offer.d_image.78d7e63bjckoM6

Edited by Hankmoody
  • Like 2
On 4/19/2021 at 7:46 AM, Senor Schmutzig said:

Hey guys,

Have a great guy who does promotions stuff if you want the hook up

On 4/19/2021 at 9:46 AM, Senor Schmutzig said:

I was thinking about a branded Yeti 20oz/30oz tumbler.

winner ...by a landslide - they are going to use it everywhere  :thumbup:

distant 2nd are Titleist Pro V balls ...but go with the Yeti ...

• Like 3

Okay all.....this is a continuation of my "Hey, look at me! I'm golfing at Pebble Beach in June!" post that started with my request for feedback on golf swag (still haven't decided but the Yeti option is in the clubhouse and being fitted for the jacket.) LOL, I'm so funny.

Anyway....the group that is organizing the trip is asking which course do we want to play on the 2nd day, Spyglass Hill or Spanish Bay. As a golf novice, I know that Pebble Beach is awesome but I really don't know the difference between these other two courses. I'm going to embarrass myself either way so if I loose 14 balls in the water or 14 balls in the rough, the net result is the same. Thoughts? 

4 minutes ago, belljr said:

Spyglass easily.   It's also difficult

Here was the answer from a 4-handicap golfing buddy of mine who has played both.

"Spyglass for sure. It is my favorite golf course of all time. Spanish Bay sucks."

That's pretty definitive. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Senor Schmutzig said:

Here was the answer from a 4-handicap golfing buddy of mine who has played both.

"Spyglass for sure. It is my favorite golf course of all time. Spanish Bay sucks."

That's pretty definitive. 

I was going to say Spyglass might be better than pebble but didn't want you to think I was overstating

Edited by belljr
  • Like 1
On 4/23/2021 at 7:03 PM, belljr said:

My league has slowed down so much over the last 2 years.   Everybody is watching too much golf on TV now and go through a routine like the are in the hunt for a major title in the final round. 

Guys who are shooting 45-50 stand on the tee picking up grass to check wind,  lining up drives.... take 2-3 minutes to decide to hit a 7 or 8 iron into the green, then walk around the whole green from all angles before they putt.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
20 minutes ago, belljr said:

I was going to say Spyglass might be better than pebble but didn't want you to think I was overstating

I’ve heard similar things and look forward to playing both real soon. Hell I only live a few hours away and get NCGA offers for both courses all the time but have yet to PULL THE TRIGGER :wall: 

53 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

My league has slowed down so much over the last 2 years.   Everybody is watching too much golf on TV now and go through a routine like the are in the hunt for a major title in the final round. 

Guys who are shooting 45-50 stand on the tee picking up grass to check wind,  lining up drives.... take 2-3 minutes to decide to hit a 7 or 8 iron into the green, then walk around the whole green from all angles before they putt.

I read every putt also but I ####### do it as I'm walking up or waiting for another guy putting!!!!!!!   My blood is boiling just thinking about it

• Like 3
1 hour ago, belljr said:

I read every putt also but I ####### do it as I'm walking up or waiting for another guy putting!!!!!!!   My blood is boiling just thinking about it

The full concentration, slow-mo tempo practice swings, staring over the ball for 30 seconds, and then jerkily shanking it into the junk are what kill me.  My God man, you're so slow and it's clearly not working for you - get a better routine.

Thinking of breaking down and getting a 7 wood.  Testing with Callaway tomorrow.  I just can't hit my 4 iron with enough height anymore and we have a lot of elevated holes.  I need something to fly higher and land softer with more spin.  Even if I hit greens with my 4 iron they race to the back.  I'll try hybrids as well but so far I've always been better with fairway woods.  Tend to hook hybrids.  Funny how these things come full circle.  Had a 7 wood 15+ years ago when they were all the rage

My swing routine.  It's not the fastest, but if we have no one in front of us, our foursome plays in 3 to 3.5 hours.

(1) figure out approximate yardage, wind, carry conditions and club as I'm walking to ball/tee;

(2) shoot the flag with rangefinder and pick club, erring on the side of taking more club so I don't overswing - if possible, do this when playing partners are hitting;

(3) take two continuous and relaxed swings next to ball to loosen up (10 seconds);

(4) stand behind ball to pick out aiming line (10 seconds);

(5) step in, aim at target, hit ball (10 seconds).

6 minutes ago, Judge Smails said:

Thinking of breaking down and getting a 7 wood.  Testing with Callaway tomorrow.  I just can't hit my 4 iron with enough height anymore and we have a lot of elevated holes.  I need something to fly higher and land softer with more spin.  Even if I hit greens with my 4 iron they race to the back.  I'll try hybrids as well but so far I've always been better with fairway woods.  Tend to hook hybrids.  Funny how these things come full circle.  Had a 7 wood 15+ years ago when they were all the rage

A 7 wood could be a useful club depending upon the shots on your course (mandatory carries over hazard, but quick stopping on a green).  If you still want to consider a hybrid, try the Ping G410, which allows you to adjust for a flatter lie to lessen hooks.

2 hours ago, Mookie said:

My swing routine.  It's not the fastest, but if we have no one in front of us, our foursome plays in 3 to 3.5 hours.

(1) figure out approximate yardage, wind, carry conditions and club as I'm walking to ball/tee;

(2) shoot the flag with rangefinder and pick club, erring on the side of taking more club so I don't overswing - if possible, do this when playing partners are hitting;

(3) take two continuous and relaxed swings next to ball to loosen up (10 seconds);

(4) stand behind ball to pick out aiming line (10 seconds);

(5) step in, aim at target, hit ball (10 seconds).

That's normal. I don't usually take a practice swing.  The problem is these dip####s wait to do all that when it's their turn.  I very rarely wait back with my partner unless I'll be in the way. One guy is hitting. I'll walk to my ball laser, check wind etc. Or if I do wait I'll already know what wind is doing .   It's not rocket science.   You can do half the #### in like 10 seconds.   I probably play too fast but if it takes me more than 10 seconds to pick a club something is wrong.  Yes there are rare occasions of hemming and hawing on a club but it shouldn't be every shot 

:Get off my course: :)

• Laughing 1
2 hours ago, Judge Smails said:

The 7 wood has me interested.

I got rid of my 3-5 wood and added a 4 wood.  I hit it almost as far as my 3 but with a higher launch and don`t skull it.  If I was 215 out and used my 3 there was a 30% chance I would hit a worm burner.

Also ditched my 3-4 irons as i tended to pull hook them and went with hybrids. Basically only use my 5 iron to punch out from under trees.