What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Tevin Coleman, SF (1 Viewer)

Falcons placed RB Devonta Freeman (foot, groin) on injured reserve.

Having just returned from a three-game absence with a knee injury in Week 5, Freeman promptly injured his foot. NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports he's undergoing groin surgery, however. Per Rapsheet, Freeman will be a candidate for return. He must miss a minimum of eight games. That means even if he comes back, his fantasy season is functionally over. Tevin Coleman slides into the Falcons' 1A role with fourth-round rookie Ito Smith occupying the 1B. Both should see plenty of work. Coleman, who has struggled this year, will be an RB2. There might not be much separation between him and Smith. Freeman has now missed 6-of-22 games since signing a six-year, $43.088 million contract in August 2017. It's fair to wonder if the 5-foot-8 back is starting to break down at age 26.
Tevin Coleman got that jerb for now. You know the stats on him; most times he's a TD or 100 combined yards. Hasn't had that the last 2 games but with Ito Smith the only other back he should be in line for 12-15 carries and not crazy to think 4-6 targets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tevin Coleman got that jerb for now. You know the stats on him; most times he's a TD or 100 combined yards. Hasn't had that the last 2 games but with Ito Smith the only other back he should be in line for 12-15 carries and not crazy to think 4-6 targets.
Wow. I have Coleman in one league - the free FFA one - and wanted more shares of him. But it seems, from what I've been watching (I watch NFL Game Mix on DTV with the eight screens and reading) that Smith will get play. It seems like they have a role for Coleman, and Smith, their fourth-round back, is also in play. 

It's an RBBC, it seems, just like SF is.  

Wow. I have Coleman in one league - the free FFA one - and wanted more shares of him. But it seems, from what I've been watching (I watch NFL Game Mix on DTV with the eight screens) and reading) that Smith will get play. It seems like they have a role for Coleman, and Smith, their fourth-round back, is also in play. 

It's an RBBC, it seems, just like SF is.  
It definitely is, and Ito will get work. I see it 60-65% to 40%-35% carrywise; some days Coleman will get more, some days Smith. However I see Coleman with more targets.

It definitely is, and Ito will get work. I see it 60-65% to 40%-35% carrywise; some days Coleman will get more, some days Smith. However I see Coleman with more targets.
Coleman will almost certainly get more targets, and Smith has been uninspiring, but I'm biased. We need an acronym for "take my opinion for what it's worth." YMMV is the most approximate. Regardless, it's a high, high-volume offense they've got it Atlanta, and somebody benefits.  

Cam has been shut down.  Does this mean Coleman might have positive gamescript again?  Does he get a bump?

steelwind said:
Cam has been shut down.  Does this mean Coleman might have positive gamescript again?  Does he get a bump?
I was thinking this too.  Between Ware, Coleman and McGuire I am leaning Coleman and McGuire and leaving Ware on the bench.  If they shut down Rodgers I will feel even better about it.  

Right now I have him in other Breida, Miller and Ware but seriously wavering now that I'm seeing all these projections and rankings that don't seem high on him.

He had 100+ against Carolina last time, and Ryan vultured a couple of rushing TD’s.  It’s seems reasonable that with Cam out the Falcons will be even more in a situation to run.  I hope I’m right.  🙂

ESPN's Vaughn McClure reports "word around the Combine" is the Falcons have no intention of re-signing free agent Tevin Coleman.

The Falcons have Devonta Freeman signed through 2022, and Ito Smith is expected to have a bigger role in Year 2 as the 1B to Freeman's 1A. That doesn't leave anywhere for Coleman, especially when he's likely going to be asking for $5-6 million annually as a soon-to-be 26-year-old. Freeman has proven to be quite injury-prone over the last two years, making Smith a guy to grab in fantasy.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Mar 1, 2019, 8:46 AM

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Jets have interest in free agent Tevin Coleman.

The Falcons are expected to move on from Coleman, with Ito Smith taking over his committee role. Coleman is a fallback for the Jets if they don't land Le'Veon Bell, but he wouldn't be much of an upgrade on Isaiah Crowell. 26-year-old Coleman is seeking $5 million annually.

RELATED: 

New York Jets

SOURCE: CBS Sports

Mar 1, 2019, 3:37 PM

Interesting. Crowell is slated to make four million, but I think Coleman is the better back just from having watched the two. 

Interesting. Crowell is slated to make four million, but I think Coleman is the better back just from having watched the two. 
Maybe, seems like both are just about average NFL backs- both probably best as the 2nd guy in a platoon.

Maybe, seems like both are just about average NFL backs- both probably best as the 2nd guy in a platoon.
Yeah, I think we'll find out the Jets's opinion on that, anyway. Crowell, if cut, is a two million dollar cap hit, IIRC. If he makes the roster, he's at a four million dollar cap hit and salary. 

I do gently disagree with most evaluators on Coleman. I've always thought he was a quicker and more versatile back than Freeman was both in the beginning of their careers and certainly towards the end of Coleman's tenure with Atlanta. 

The Athletic's Connor Hughes reports the Jets "think highly of" free agent Tevin Coleman.

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reported the same thing three days ago. One source told Hughes the Jets were more interested in Coleman than Le'Veon Bell, with his "low mileage" and "price tag" the selling points. Coleman would likely remain a committee back in New York, and arguably a redundant talent to Isaiah Crowell.

RELATED: 

New York Jets

SOURCE: The Athletic

Mar 4, 2019, 12:56 PM

Yeah, I think we'll find out the Jets's opinion on that, anyway. Crowell, if cut, is a two million dollar cap hit, IIRC. If he makes the roster, he's at a four million dollar cap hit and salary. 

I do gently disagree with most evaluators on Coleman. I've always thought he was a quicker and more versatile back than Freeman was both in the beginning of their careers and certainly towards the end of Coleman's tenure with Atlanta. 
I thought Coleman had a golden opportunity this season and really fell on his face losing key touches to Judge Ito. Coleman is electric if he has a path to takeoff, but seems to struggle to evade tacklers in open spaces. 

I thought Coleman had a golden opportunity this season and really fell on his face losing key touches to Judge Ito. Coleman is electric if he has a path to takeoff, but seems to struggle to evade tacklers in open spaces. 
Yeah, but that was likely because they knew Coleman was gone in FA and wanted to see what they had with Ito. If you look at Ito's touches (I did) he didn't do diddly with them, really. So I think Coleman got caught up in a RBBC due to contracts and free agency, but not because of really ceding ground on talent.  

Yeah, but that was likely because they knew Coleman was gone in FA and wanted to see what they had with Ito. If you look at Ito's touches (I did) he didn't do diddly with them, really. So I think Coleman got caught up in a RBBC due to contracts and free agency, but not because of really ceding ground on talent.  
That is a good point. Also some teams just want to use 2 RBs no matter what. 

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo believes the Eagles "will be players" for free agent Tevin Coleman.

Le’Veon Bell is the clear top option available on the running back market, but Coleman tops the second tier of backs which includes Mark Ingram and Jay Ajayi, who the Eagles are expected to let walk. Ajayi's likely exit opens up a hole in Philly's backfield, and it sounds like they will be aggressive in free agency to fill it. Coleman is also reportedly on the Jets' radar.

RELATED: 

Philadelphia Eagles

, Jacksonville Jaguars

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Mar 8, 2019, 12:17 PM

I'd agree with this. I've always felt Coleman was in the correct role in Atlanta, explosive change of pace back. I'd think anything more, might just hurt his effectiveness, so I'm very surprised he's getting so much interest in the media right now.

He didn't exactly outplay Ito Smith last year, and Smith isn't anyone's idea of a quality starting RB.

I'd agree with this. I've always felt Coleman was in the correct role in Atlanta, explosive change of pace back. I'd think anything more, might just hurt his effectiveness, so I'm very surprised he's getting so much interest in the media right now.

He didn't exactly outplay Ito Smith last year, and Smith isn't anyone's idea of a quality starting RB.
Tevin ran circles around Ito to the tune of 4.8 per carry vs 3.5, and their run game was a mess. He should be lead dog in an RBBC easy

I've held this guy in 4 leagues since drafting him as a rookie and I consider Philly the #2 RB destination. This Eagle's rumor has me excited about a long awaited payoff.

possibly a great sell high moment if he signs somewhere favorable
That's the kind of thing I usually say when I don't believe in a player relative to market value but not the case here but since most of the teams I own him he's in my RB4-6 range it's likely he has more value to another team then me but make no mistake about it, I'm very high on the player and would have a lot of trust in him as an Eagle. Might be more inclined to deal another RB instead.

McKinnon is probably gone (saves 3.75M).   My guess is that Brieda still gets more work than you think.  Coleman is a sell high IMO.

He has flat out earned it. 
Yes he has, but the big issue with Brieda is durability.  I believe he's not better than a 60/40, (not in his favor) or 7/30 RBBC back for the rest of his career.  Possibly a 50/50 back if he's setting the woods on fire and that would hurt Coleman's value.  Coleman is a sell high.

So we are looking at a 3-headed rbbc nightmare
I don't think so, I think looking at the numbers McKinnon is an easy cut if they cant pawn him off for like a 6th/7th rounder on someone

But a Coleman/Brieda 60/40 split is entirely possible

49ers agreed to terms with RB Tevin Coleman, formerly of the Falcons, on a two-year, $10 million contract.

This would seem to indicate the Niners will move on from Jerick McKinnon, who missed all of 2018 with a torn ACL after signing a multi-year deal with the Niners last March, but coach Kyle Shanahan has never been opposed to a total timeshare in the backfield. Perhaps the money-rich Niners will just hang onto all three of McKinnon, Coleman, and Matt Breida and let it ride. Coleman was expected to command more term than this two-year deal, so it may just be a chance for the 49ers to add more talent and for Shanahan to bring in a familiar face after coaching Coleman in Atlanta. Making McKinnon a post-June 1 cut would save $3.75 million against the cap. His $3.7 million salary will be guaranteed if still on the team April 1. This will be a situation to monitor closely.
Brieda/Coleman are basically the same back though (Brieda a tougher runner). Weird.

I can see breida as the number one and coleman as the number two with McKinnon getting shown the door

I can see mckinnon as the number one and Coleman as the number two with breida the change of pace because they don't think he can handle the wear and tear. 

I can see breida and McKinnon with their planned rb1 rb2 split and coleman the change of pace

I can see a lot of things happening in this backfield, but the one thing i can't really see is coleman leading the backfield without some kind of injury or other change.  I think he's the most likely to be second best and least likely to be best of the 3.  That's not terrible in the Shanahan offense, but he's not a guy im looking to take over higher upside plays.  

if you think that you clearly were not watching Breida last year
I did watch him, and I like him. I just don't think they want him out there as much as he was last year. Dude is tough, though, and it will be hard to keep him off the field. I still say it is McKinnon's job to lose (which he could).

I did watch him, and I like him. I just don't think they want him out there as much as he was last year. Dude is tough, though, and it will be hard to keep him off the field. I still say it is McKinnon's job to lose (which he could).
I just think you are way limiting the potential of Breida to be the lead or get 50% of the work.  No way they reduce him to 10 after last season

Users who are viewing this thread