Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Home-owners...What are your current projects?

wilked

Just now, glvsav37 said:

weren't you asking about this stuff a while back? 

Either way, very cool, i'd love a covered area to relax in while outside. 

Yeah, was asking about material options to use for the ceiling.  I've been diligently watching for leaks in the materials with all the Spring and early Summer rain we've had.  The only I've noticed is a wee bit against the house.  I believe a little bit of rain during a hard wind is getting in the cracks of the siding above and flowing down the inside of the siding - when the deck was originally installed by the prior owners, they simply placed the ledger board OVER the siding....I don't know why.  Anyway, it's not much water at all, literally a few drops.  So I'm going to take the beadboard to about a half inch off the house's exterior wall, then do a bit of Azek trim to cover the crack - that way if any water does come down that wall, it will hit the Azek and not the wood beadboard.  The other three sides of the ceiling will be "boxed in" (one by the header / cantilever) and the other two I'm going to put up a smallish fake "beam" so that it gives the space underneath more of a "room look". 

I'm also leaving a wiring channel open for low voltage stuff - speaker wire, coax, cat5, HDMI, with the intention of eventually installing a projector and a screen against the house.  Will be great for weekend cookouts and watching football....but hopefully a fun hangout for my kid and his friends as he gets older.  Like an outdoor movie room.  Call me a paranoid parent, but I'd rather my kid hang out at my place with his friends than somewhere else.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, matttyl said:

Yeah, was asking about material options to use for the ceiling.  I've been diligently watching for leaks in the materials with all the Spring and early Summer rain we've had.  The only I've noticed is a wee bit against the house.  I believe a little bit of rain during a hard wind is getting in the cracks of the siding above and flowing down the inside of the siding - when the deck was originally installed by the prior owners, they simply placed the ledger board OVER the siding....I don't know why.  Anyway, it's not much water at all, literally a few drops.  So I'm going to take the beadboard to about a half inch off the house's exterior wall, then do a bit of Azek trim to cover the crack - that way if any water does come down that wall, it will hit the Azek and not the wood beadboard.  The other three sides of the ceiling will be "boxed in" (one by the header / cantilever) and the other two I'm going to put up a smallish fake "beam" so that it gives the space underneath more of a "room look". 

I'm also leaving a wiring channel open for low voltage stuff - speaker wire, coax, cat5, HDMI, with the intention of eventually installing a projector and a screen against the house.  Will be great for weekend cookouts and watching football....but hopefully a fun hangout for my kid and his friends as he gets older.  Like an outdoor movie room.  Call me a paranoid parent, but I'd rather my kid hang out at my place with his friends than somewhere else.

agree 100%—GL with it, sounds awesome!

one of the (seemingly) 10,000 plans we had for our extension had a room like that, closed on 2 1/2 sides. Covered outdoor kitchen, TV, etc. But it lost out to a laundry room on the main floor instead. My Main reason for not doing it is that here in NY, the fall creates a lot of leaves and windy conditions and I could only imagine what a "dead end" like that would collect. I already hate the few corners of my deck that seem to catch a lot of leaves. 

We have a spot we can put something similar down the line, a covered area that would extend from my house, but thats a while off. 

Just now, glvsav37 said:

agree 100%—GL with it, sounds awesome!

one of the (seemingly) 10,000 plans we had for our extension had a room like that, closed on 2 1/2 sides. Covered outdoor kitchen, TV, etc. But it lost out to a laundry room on the main floor instead. My Main reason for not doing it is that here in NY, the fall creates a lot of leaves and windy conditions and I could only imagine what a "dead end" like that would collect. I already hate the few corners of my deck that seem to catch a lot of leaves. 

We have a spot we can put something similar down the line, a covered area that would extend from my house, but thats a while off. 

Do what I did, get one of these.  Seriously, your junk feels twice as big when you're using it.  This thing will blow branches out of the yard it's so powerful. 

• Like 2

Making cornhole boards for the wife's birthday party in August. This kind of thing is right in my wheelhouse -- just challenging enough to be fun, but easy enough to hit out of the park. I love any excuse to break out the power tools (and order something new on Amazon I didn't have -- jigsaw). The toughest part will be the custom paint job, still in the planning phase.

8 minutes ago, McGarnicle said:

Making cornhole boards for the wife's birthday party in August. This kind of thing is right in my wheelhouse -- just challenging enough to be fun, but easy enough to hit out of the park. I love any excuse to break out the power tools (and order something new on Amazon I didn't have -- jigsaw). The toughest part will be the custom paint job, still in the planning phase.

I followed a DIY plan that called for 2 x 4's as the framing material.  It comes out sturdy, but the boards are heavy and PITA to lug.  I'd go with 2 x 2's or 1 x 3's.  Also, make sure that you have a jigsaw blade that is narrow to do curves.  Most time consuming part was the layers of poly-u and sanding. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brony said:

I followed a DIY plan that called for 2 x 4's as the framing material.  It comes out sturdy, but the boards are heavy and PITA to lug.  I'd go with 2 x 2's or 1 x 3's.  Also, make sure that you have a jigsaw blade that is narrow to do curves.  Most time consuming part was the layers of poly-u and sanding. 

43 minutes ago, Brony said:

I've also learned that squirrels might eat through the cornhole bags if left out overnight(!)

Too late on the lumber. And most likely not going with the fancy real corn bags either. We're working with drunk backyard beanbag flingers here. 100% chance these things will end up in the pool at least once.

• Like 3

On 6/24/2017 at 8:02 PM, Mario Kart said:

Finished this. Started last night by removing and placing the blocks in order away from where they'd be. Freaking heavy ones too. Tried to get as many weeds out last night before dark. Finished removing the rest of the blocks this morning. Raked and got as many weeds' roots as I could. For the area in question, I think the weeds/grass are gone from the walkway. I can't stress enough about the raking. Rake every which way  because you never know what roots/stems might pop up. Had the walkway plastic stuff and laid that down, overlapping and such. The walkway turns and I didn't get cute with the stuff, just laid it out, cut it, and overlapped more than if I had tried to turn it. Laid the blocks down and went to the store to get some small rocks for the cracks and the sand that helps to hold the blocks in place. Came back and poured that on the walkway, used a broom to help it in the cracks. I was getting anal about the blocks moving. Trimmed the plastic where I didn't need to see it but left about 6" on the one side of the walkway because that part of the walkway turns into grass. I don't think I'll be getting any blocks or border wall or anything like that so I may have to redo the sand every year after winter and rain.

http://imgur.com/a/TJ1UM

So, we've had rain and that has allowed the sand to settle a bit. I don't think the blocks are moving at all yet because the sand has not washed away or anything like that. What preventative measures can I take to not have that happen? Towards the back of the walkway, there is slight grade downhill but nothing too drastic, imo. Other than adding sand every year or something like that, is there a way to slow the erosion?

2 hours ago, McGarnicle said:

Here's some Penn State ones I made a few years ago.

Agree that the hardest part is the paint job.  I leveraged vinyl decals and then poly'ed over them to help me some. 

I made my top out of Birch, then used 1x3's for the framing.  I have a 1x3 frame around the edge, and 1 1x3 brace that runs across the middle.  No bounce at all.  Legs fold up into the frame.  Still pretty darn heavy.  If you want to get rid of bounce, it's basically got to have some heft to it.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Mario Kart said:

So, we've had rain and that has allowed the sand to settle a bit. I don't think the blocks are moving at all yet because the sand has not washed away or anything like that. What preventative measures can I take to not have that happen? Towards the back of the walkway, there is slight grade downhill but nothing too drastic, imo. Other than adding sand every year or something like that, is there a way to slow the erosion?

they sell a colored sand that you brush over the stones and in between and when it gets wet, it will harden like a concrete. it will need to be done every few years, but it works well to keep the stones in place and weeds out. I have a bag at home i'll try and remember to get you the name. 

7 minutes ago, Fat Nick said:

I want one of those in the worst way...

Got mine used - actually off of the "facebook marketplace" thing on my phone.  Local country boy had purchased a newer/bigger one - so I got that for $120 I think.  Got a new spark plug, gas and air filters, and cleaned it up a bit and works like new.  Only got it this past spring, so can't wait to really use it with the leaves this fall.  It's also been a great tool for making mountain biking trails - blows everything off right down to the dirt.

12 minutes ago, Fat Nick said:

Here's some Penn State ones I made a few years ago.

Agree that the hardest part is the paint job.  I leveraged vinyl decals and then poly'ed over them to help me some. 

I made my top out of Birch, then used 1x3's for the framing.  I have a 1x3 frame around the edge, and 1 1x3 brace that runs across the middle.  No bounce at all.  Legs fold up into the frame.  Still pretty darn heavy.  If you want to get rid of bounce, it's basically got to have some heft to it.

Holy ####### ####.

Yes, I expect mine to be as nice. They will be made out of wood, just like those. :unsure: 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, glvsav37 said:

they sell a colored sand that you brush over the stones and in between and when it gets wet, it will harden like a concrete. it will need to be done every few years, but it works well to keep the stones in place and weeds out. I have a bag at home i'll try and remember to get you the name. 

The sand I did buy was labeled "step 3" in the process. It went "step 1" was just normal sand, "step 2" were the rocks/pebbles I bought, and "step 3" was, maybe, similar to the sand you're talking about except no color. The bag was like $22 while normal sand was like $3. Maybe I used something similar to your suggestion without any color. I'm just curious if I should use a barrier because right now I don't have a barrier on the edge next to the grass. I have those plastic barriers that you have to dig into the ground for but doing that now will mess up that edge a bit. I left enough plastic to "wrap" up if I would use a barrier though. Just don't want to for now.

2 hours ago, glvsav37 said:

Polymeric Sand is what it's called.  I put some down, then, after a few days used a blower to blow off any dirt/dust then applied a sealer over the sand and pavers.  Looked great for about 2 years, but then the ants started digging away at it from the bottom.  Basically, as soon as you get one gap, seeds, ice, water, and bugs start to dig it up. I reapplied a few years ago, but the effort just isn't worth it. 

When I get to my breaking point, I'm going stamped concrete.  I hate pavers now.

10 hours ago, McGarnicle said:

I just finished these today. They're a gift for my brother. A couple of things that I would do differently if/when I make another set. 

1 - Buy a 6" hole saw. Cutting perfect circles is not my forte with a jigsaw. Maybe a smaller blade would have helped.

2 - Sand the surface a lot more.(I bought presanded 2x4 plywood sheets and spent about 10 minutes with the orbital sander on each) I had a few imperfections that I thought the poly would level out, but it didn't 

3 - I used two different brands of vinyl decals. The N was thinner and adhered much better. The skull and crossbones kept lifting . (I had to peal back half the decal and glue, then repeat with the other half)

4 - Put down two coats of poly prior to applying the decals. This may have prevented #3. 

5 - I would consider using a spray lacquer. It's clear and self levels. I ended up using water based polycrilic (approx 12 coats). Some coats dried too quickly. I wanted to have them ready for my brothers 4th of July party Saturday and I think the lacquer would have allowed me to get by with half the number of coats. 

I bought my bags on Ebay. They were $18 shipped. They have a ton of colors to choose from and I couldn't justify the time and money to do my own. I was going to use beans, but the Ebay ones are filled with corn. 

Some people forego the painted ring around the hole. I found an easy way to make a template. Print out a circle on standard printer paper. Tape that page to one side of wax paper. Turn the wax paper over and lay down strips of painters tape, making sure to overlap each strip 1/8th of an inch and extend the ends a couple of inches past the edge of the circle. I did one row of tape horizontal and one vertical. Then you turn the whole thing over and use a pair of scissors to carefully cut around the circle on the piece of paper. When you're done, peel the masking tape away from the wax paper and place on your board. Paint away. 

Edit: In between coats of poly, I installed a second security camera overlooking our back yard/door. Replaced some boards on the deck that were showing some age. And the washer crapped out yesterday. So, I installed a new one this morning. That's it for my projects so far. 

Edited by KCitons
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, KCitons said:

I just finished these today. They're a gift for my brother. A couple of things that I would do differently if/when I make another set. 

1 - Buy a 6" hole saw. Cutting perfect circles is not my forte with a jigsaw. Maybe a smaller blade would have helped.

2 - Sand the surface a lot more.(I bought presanded 2x4 plywood sheets and spent about 10 minutes with the orbital sander on each) I had a few imperfections that I thought the poly would level out, but it didn't 

3 - I used two different brands of vinyl decals. The N was thinner and adhered much better. The skull and crossbones kept lifting . (I had to peal back half the decal and glue, then repeat with the other half)

4 - Put down two coats of poly prior to applying the decals. This may have prevented #3. 

5 - I would consider using a spray lacquer. It's clear and self levels. I ended up using water based polycrilic (approx 12 coats). Some coats dried too quickly. I wanted to have them ready for my brothers 4th of July party Saturday and I think the lacquer would have allowed me to get by with half the number of coats. 

I bought my bags on Ebay. They were $18 shipped. They have a ton of colors to choose from and I couldn't justify the time and money to do my own. I was going to use beans, but the Ebay ones are filled with corn. 

Some people forego the painted ring around the hole. I found an easy way to make a template. Print out a circle on standard printer paper. Tape that page to one side of wax paper. Turn the wax paper over and lay down strips of painters tape, making sure to overlap each strip 1/8th of an inch and extend the ends a couple of inches past the edge of the circle. I did one row of tape horizontal and one vertical. Then you turn the whole thing over and use a pair of scissors to carefully cut around the circle on the piece of paper. When you're done, peel the masking tape away from the wax paper and place on your board. Paint away. 

Edit: In between coats of poly, I installed a second security camera overlooking our back yard/door. Replaced some boards on the deck that were showing some age. And the washer crapped out yesterday. So, I installed a new one this morning. That's it for my projects so far. 

Nice work.  Good call on the bags, I'll do the same myself.

I assume either he or you went to Nebraska.  Little known fact that - the "N" on the helmet doesn't stand for Nebraska.  It stands for Knowledge.....

The joke doesn't work when you type it out, though.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, KCitons said:

So my plan is to lay down two coats of primer, paint on my designs using stencils, then do the poly or lacquer or whatever. That's the part I'm not clear on -- do you think a few coats of the spray lacquer is sufficient?

I read your circle template thing 5 times and I don't get it. I like how that looks though. 

Just now, McGarnicle said:

So my plan is to lay down two coats of primer, paint on my designs using stencils, then do the poly or lacquer or whatever. That's the part I'm not clear on -- do you think a few coats of the spray lacquer is sufficient?

I read your circle template thing 5 times and I don't get it. I like how that looks though. 

The poly coat will depend on the colors you are using. Oil based poly will leave a yellow tint. I painted the underside all white (because I had an extra can) Then I used a semi gloss oil based polyurethane over that. I didn't like the tinting, so i switched to water based polycrilic for the sides and top. Most articles I read suggested 6 coats of poly regardless of which type you use. Some put on as many as 12. Since these are going to be used at my brothers's lake house, I expect them to take a beating as he is planning on setting them up on the beach. 

If you paint the designs you won't have the problems I had with the stickers. Wish I would have done that. 

The circle template is basically a piece of wax paper with the printout of the circle taped to one side and masking tape on the other. Since I don't have a piece of masking tape 9"x 9", I had to layer strips of overlapping tape. The wax paper just makes the tape easy to remove once you have cut out the circle pattern. 

4 minutes ago, McGarnicle said:

I think I get the circle thing now. 

Man, I'm going to be pissed if I ever find out she's cheating on me. This is a lot of work.

If I had to guess, I spent roughly 40 hours making these two. (5 of those were to fix mistakes and recoat) this is why I gave up and bought the bags. For $18 I couldn't bring myself to toil over a sewing machine for a few hours. 

It will be worth it and you will have something unique that you built with your own two hands. 

Edited by KCitons

I think a good way to do the circle outline is to find a coffee can or something with a 6.5" or 7" diameter, cut off both ends, center it over the hole and use spray paint. Or one of those plastic little paint buckets from Home Depot.

Wheels are turning. :thumbup: 

Just now, McGarnicle said:

I think a good way to do the circle outline is to find a coffee can or something with a 6.5" or 7" diameter, cut off both ends, center it over the hole and use spray paint. Or one of those plastic little paint buckets from Home Depot.

Wheels are turning. :thumbup: 

That might work. This is where sanding the surface to make sure it's level helps. Everything I masked had at least one spot where the paint bled under the tape due to there being a small depression in the plywood. (some were as small as 1/16" grooves. As I went along, I learned to run something over the tape to push it down into these grooves. But, there were still spots where I took an exacto knife and removed the layer of paint that bled.

2 minutes ago, McGarnicle said:

The part I hate is she wants the stupid dancing Nancy logo from Dave Matthews. I'd much rather do a sports theme. But they're her gift. 

Are you cutting the stencil yourself, or having a print shop do it?

anyone have recommendations on free-ware applications for landscape designs or planning? 

Our new backyard is a blank canvas.  It's completely fenced in, has a covered, plexiglas awning over a concreted slab.  There's a huge pine tree and a small fig tree and that's it.  Looking to build this myself over a two year period.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KCitons said:

Are you cutting the stencil yourself, or having a print shop do it?

Hoping I could cut it myself on poster board, then use a glue stick to tack it down firmly so it doesn't bleed. But I fully expect some screw ups & rework on the paint job. I've never done anything like this before.

25 minutes ago, McGarnicle said:

Hoping I could cut it myself on poster board, then use a glue stick to tack it down firmly so it doesn't bleed. But I fully expect some screw ups & rework on the paint job. I've never done anything like this before.

Do you have a budget on this?

2 hours ago, urbanhack said:

anyone have recommendations on free-ware applications for landscape designs or planning? 

Our new backyard is a blank canvas.  It's completely fenced in, has a covered, plexiglas awning over a concreted slab.  There's a huge pine tree and a small fig tree and that's it.  Looking to build this myself over a two year period.

Depending on the size of the pine tree... I'd look to get rid of it... that all depends where it is. If its in a corner, fine, leave it, but if it is anywhere you'd like to use the space for... get rid of it. If a tree must be where it is... put an apple tree or something there.

As far as the yard goes... figure out what space you want to use for sitting, fires, future cement, or whatever and then go to town. Depending on your climate, you could do blueberries, strawberries, a nice vertical tomato trellis, or something else useful.

5 hours ago, urbanhack said:

Pine trees are the devil IMO...chop it down

• Like 4

On 6/29/2017 at 0:44 PM, Mario Kart said:

1. Completely remove all of the pavers

2. Dig out 6in of dirt

3. Put down weed barrier, the thickest roll they sell

4. Put down thick paver sand, and smoothen / grade

5. Put down pavers

6.pit down a paver boarder, either concrete, sideways pavers, or they sell specific products like "pro-flex".  This is a very important step, if not the pavers naturally spread appart.

7. Lock them in with polysand

8. Seal.  I prefer oil based sealer instead of Thompson.  Olympic is the best bargain, sold at Ace.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, urbanhack said:

Plan your hardscaping first.  Identify any erosion problems that need to be fixed, where you want planters, walkways, furniture, irrigation, trampolines, etc.  Then, start with your larger tree landscaping, and fill in the smaller plantings last.

16 hours ago, Tiger Fan said:

Pine trees are the devil IMO...chop it down

Definitely not getting rid of it.  It's huge and provides some nice shade for the house.  My plan is not to have any grass in the back yard.  It will all be natural grasses, a stone path, a fire pit and ideally some type of water fountain or feature.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking to paint and then add some pictures (I have to frame them but I have six desk pictures from Fringe Focus). Also would like to add some floating shelves in the living room, kitchen, and possibly the bathroom. The kitchen and living room would be in the corners while the bathroom couldn't be in the corner but adding 2-3 shelves would be pretty good. 

Tips?

55 minutes ago, Mario Kart said:

Looking for floating shelves but many places around me just have shelves that you'll see the brackets and stuff. Any ideas where to buy some? Is Etsy the way to go?

Search on the web. I just purchased a white floating shelf from Home Depot recently. 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-Decorators-Collection-47-3-in-W-x-10-2-in-D-x-2-in-H-White-MDF-Floating-Wall-Shelf-0191801/204766477?cm_mmc=Shopping|HDCcore|G-PLA-BT3-HDC-D28O-Outdoor-Garden|&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1P3R8r6H1QIVSDqBCh1F6AmKEAQYAyABEgLUJvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by offdee

Fully painting my new house so it is ready for my move in next week. Wife spent about a month picking out paints and seems to be all going well. 

Plan is to next year do a renovation of the kitchen and put the house back together a bit as currently a two family. Wife and kids going to live at the beach house next summer so hopefully the vast bulk of the work can be done when they are gone. I know it is going to be an Otis style renovation when it comes to it. I think this will be one of the first of many posts on this topic  

This weekend there was a bit on the news about how when girls get to be six they all think men are smarter. There was all this discussion about what can we do. All these women saying how disheartening it is to watch their daughters look at photos and pick the man as the smarter one. 

You know how you change that ladies? When something breaks around the house you dont say to your daughter "daddy will fix it when he gets home." 

You google the issues and search for fixes, you get on youtube and watch some videos, and then you fix it .

Or dont. 

• Like 2

Anyone have any experience with replacing small glass panes in doors? We hit a 7"diamond shaped piece in our entry door this afternoon while moving a couch. It looks similar to leaded glass, but there is no lead solder. Instead the glass sits in a channel (that looks like lead) and has a thin glazing.

I've been looking at this thing and researching for a couple of hours and not sure if I should even attempt this one. 

On 7/14/2017 at 0:40 AM, parasaurolophus said:

This weekend there was a bit on the news about how when girls get to be six they all think men are smarter. There was all this discussion about what can we do. All these women saying how disheartening it is to watch their daughters look at photos and pick the man as the smarter one. 

You know how you change that ladies? When something breaks around the house you dont say to your daughter "daddy will fix it when he gets home." 

You google the issues and search for fixes, you get on youtube and watch some videos, and then you fix it .

Or dont. 

all the ladies in this thread will surely appreciate this advice

13 minutes ago, KCitons said:

Anyone have any experience with replacing small glass panes in doors? We hit a 7"diamond shaped piece in our entry door this afternoon while moving a couch. It looks similar to leaded glass, but there is no lead solder. Instead the glass sits in a channel (that looks like lead) and has a thin glazing.

I've been looking at this thing and researching for a couple of hours and not sure if I should even attempt this one. 

typically if you need all those words to describe it - we will need a photo

Snap a pic.  I just replaced one in my house, was pretty easy (100 year old pane).