What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Home-owners...What are your current projects? (4 Viewers)

Holy Spit!! :shock:

I mentioned I have a web cam to monitor the extension progress....I just logged in a few minutes ago and see the guys working on my 1st story roof. They had the ladder on my Trex deck and just as I think to myself "umm...thats not a really great place for that" I see one worker go to use it and the ladder completely slides out from under him. Dude hit the deck hard on his back. It was only one story but he landed on deck and ladder.

He got up and walked it off but holy hell that was scary. I sincerely hope he is ok. I called my wife and she went out and he took some ice from her. 

I just wish my camera recored things, it can, but I have to activate it and i was too slow to catch it.   

I've made that mistake of putting a ladder on that deck and while i didn't get hurt, I had a ladder go out from under me there once.....once. 

Edit: called my contractor to let him know. He checked in on the crew and they said the dude is fine. Phew....it sucks that along with you worrying if he feels ok, you have to worry about getting sued.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a guy doing some floor repair for us.   Had a big patch in front room that when we ripped up carpet found out that it used to be a closet so was just plywood not hardwood 

Also had him put a bullnose on stair landing. Right when he got here he told me he wished he hadn't quoted that because it's gonna suck.  Now he's constantly cursing and grumbling 

:lmao:

offloading about a dumptruck full of ####ing river rock :hot: :hot: :hot:

anyone got suggestions on how to dispose of this ####??
Is this another one of your nefarious drug dealing ops MF?

If so, recruit the neighborhood kids to be your distribution network...arm them well...and take control of all the local street corners.

However, if this is legit, take it to the river?

On a more serious note, contact all of your local waste management companies. In my area, during certain times of the year, solid waste is accepted for free. But, the better option may be to find someone who may have a use for it and take it off your hands.

I have been out of the environmental management business for a few years now, but at one time there were "waste exchange networks" that would hook up parties that would work out the transfer of such things. Not all accepted private citizens, but a google search for your area may find something.

Sorry that I can't give more details, but I'm not sure where you are...plus, I've been out of the biz since '09.

Scheduled to close on my first house at the end of the month. I found a house that I love a few months before I was really ready, so it'll get a little interesting (we've eaten almost nothing but rice and beans since we put in the offer). Fingers crossed that the 28 year old AC unit (not a heat pump, but does have duct work in place) can give me a couple of months.

The list of projects is growing quickly. Got some small stuff that needs to be done immediately (small grading/gutter extensions to run water away from house, accessibility railings/grab-bars, kitchen faucet, etc). I think I could do most of it myself, but I'm short on know how and time. Got a good guy for some of that stuff though.

Also going to need to buy a lawnmower for the first time in my life (live in a town house now). I wouldn't mind used, but really don't have time to fool one breaking down on me, do new mowers often go on sale in fall?

Scheduled to close on my first house at the end of the month. I found a house that I love a few months before I was really ready, so it'll get a little interesting (we've eaten almost nothing but rice and beans since we put in the offer). Fingers crossed that the 28 year old AC unit (not a heat pump, but does have duct work in place) can give me a couple of months.

The list of projects is growing quickly. Got some small stuff that needs to be done immediately (small grading/gutter extensions to run water away from house, accessibility railings/grab-bars, kitchen faucet, etc). I think I could do most of it myself, but I'm short on know how and time. Got a good guy for some of that stuff though.

Also going to need to buy a lawnmower for the first time in my life (live in a town house now). I wouldn't mind used, but really don't have time to fool one breaking down on me, do new mowers often go on sale in fall?
At the big box stores, push mowers - absolutely yes.  Riding mowers - depends, but not huge discounts.  There was a Honda push mower that went on clearance at Home Depot a few years back for $95.  It was so cheap I considered getting it even though I didn't need it or have the space for it.  It happens.  check online prices and if you see one you like, be prepared to buy it that day as they go fast.  If you find a super deal at Lowes, DO NOT buy online for pick-up.  Employees there are notorious for snatching really really good deals for themselves and e-mailing you back saying your item wasn't available.  I've literally stood in the store and ordered online and watched them go to the shelf, pick up the 3 remaining items, and carry them to the back, then e-mail me that they were OOS.

offloading about a dumptruck full of ####ing river rock :hot: :hot: :hot:

anyone got suggestions on how to dispose of this ####??
I'm confused.  Why are you just getting random river rock that you don't want?  People who need that stuff will pay for it.  I bought a truck load when I was doing my deck.  Wish I had someone giving it away!

Get one with a B&S or a Honda motor and you'll be fine.

Making cornhole boards for the wife's birthday party in August. This kind of thing is right in my wheelhouse -- just challenging enough to be fun, but easy enough to hit out of the park. I love any excuse to break out the power tools (and order something new on Amazon I didn't have -- jigsaw). The toughest part will be the custom paint job, still in the planning phase.
Final coats of paint today & tomorrow, then decals & polyurethane. Looks good so far. I kept the design simple since it's my first attempt. Will post pics of the finished product.

Built a deck a year ago (which I posted pics of previously in here).  Right now I'm finishing up stripping/sanding all of the solid stain off.  Hated it.  Going with a semi-transparent.  For anyone that is ever considering a solid stain for their deck....DON'T DO IT.  Thankfully I didn't do wooden railings or I might've just blown the thing up.

Next project is building shelving in a carriage garage and unfinished part of the basement.  The 2x4/plywood kind.

Bought a Worx electric one 7 years ago when we moved into our first house (Think it was a return that I got a good deal on), and the only things I have had to do was replace the battery and the grass bag.

Very nice for a small yard, all you have to do is make sure the battery is charged.

Fat Nick said:
I'm confused.  Why are you just getting random river rock that you don't want?  People who need that stuff will pay for it.  I bought a truck load when I was doing my deck.  Wish I had someone giving it away!
poor wording, maybe?

the river rock is sitting all around my house in what could be beautiful flower gardens. the previous owner ripped up everything and replaced it with rock. lots and lots of rock. rock that i can't even freaking give away.

put an ad up on craigslist yesterday. no bites so far.

poor wording, maybe?

the river rock is sitting all around my house in what could be beautiful flower gardens. the previous owner ripped up everything and replaced it with rock. lots and lots of rock. rock that i can't even freaking give away.

Did you put your ad in the Free section? Would be worth it for someone to just come take it away. 

poor wording, maybe?

If you're within 2-3 hours of my house I'll take it, and I'll come pick it up!

Did you put your ad in the Free section? Would be worth it for someone to just come take it away. 
yup

i'm considering freecycle as well but the local site isn't very active anymore.  got rid of a bunch of wood about 10 years ago through that site but it has mostly died.

I wish i was closer, I need rock to create a drainage channel behind the Egress window well i just installed. 
That's exactly why I was asking as well.  I need something to help with some erosion issues I'm having.  I've got a downsloping ~3,500 sq. ft. driveway.  It slopes down and to the left - and it along with rain water coming down the hill beside it, as well as off my neighbors house has done a number on the area between my backyard fence and their backyard fence.  It's a ~10 foot wide section between my 3 board fence and their total privacy fence that has about 6-8 evergreen/pine trees all planted in a row.  In a heavy rainstorm (like what we're having today) all the runoff erodes the #### out of that area (the ground never sees much sun anyway with their fence and the trees) and it picks up all the pine needles and such that falls off the tree and dumps it into the lowest section of my backyard. 

Any ideas?

poor wording, maybe?

I assume you already posted something on your Facebook page?  You must know somebody who knows somebody who would take the stuff.

That's exactly why I was asking as well.  I need something to help with some erosion issues I'm having.  I've got a downsloping ~3,500 sq. ft. driveway.  It slopes down and to the left - and it along with rain water coming down the hill beside it, as well as off my neighbors house has done a number on the area between my backyard fence and their backyard fence.  It's a ~10 foot wide section between my 3 board fence and their total privacy fence that has about 6-8 evergreen/pine trees all planted in a row.  In a heavy rainstorm (like what we're having today) all the runoff erodes the #### out of that area (the ground never sees much sun anyway with their fence and the trees) and it picks up all the pine needles and such that falls off the tree and dumps it into the lowest section of my backyard. 

Any ideas?
Dynamite? 

Any ideas?
just spitballin here but it sounds like you are aok with moving the water but you want to stop the pine needles from moving with it right well in that case you could build a pile of small step dams in that gradient woodline area just small piles of rocks like an arrow pointing upstream it would push the needles off to the side where the current would be less and they would drop and stay small dam after small dam and its just some piled up load of bread sized rocks just look up step dams on google and take that to the bank bromigo 

Holy Spit!! :shock:

I mentioned I have a web cam to monitor the extension progress....I just logged in a few minutes ago and see the guys working on my 1st story roof. They had the ladder on my Trex deck and just as I think to myself "umm...thats not a really great place for that" I see one worker go to use it and the ladder completely slides out from under him. Dude hit the deck hard on his back. It was only one story but he landed on deck and ladder.

He got up and walked it off but holy hell that was scary. I sincerely hope he is ok. I called my wife and she went out and he took some ice from her. 

I just wish my camera recored things, it can, but I have to activate it and i was too slow to catch it.   

I've made that mistake of putting a ladder on that deck and while i didn't get hurt, I had a ladder go out from under me there once.....once. 

Edit: called my contractor to let him know. He checked in on the crew and they said the dude is fine. Phew....it sucks that along with you worrying if he feels ok, you have to worry about getting sued.
I pretty much gave a woman a heart attack when I fell off of their roof right in front of the kitchen window. She was doing dishes. I was on the roof attempting to paint the cupola. The cedar shake shingles started popping out and i started to lose my balance. Wasnt much I could do except make it so I fell as controlled as possible. Had a bucket of red paint. Tried to keep it upright as I dropped onto the deck below me. Landed like the superheroes do when they come crashing down and send shockwaves as they hit the ground on one foot, one knee, and one hand. Unfortunately my hand went right into my bucket. You know how when you go swimming and you put your hand just above the water and push down real fast it sends a geyser up in the air? Well the red paint flew up out of the bucket and splashed the window. Poor lady comes running outside still holding dishes thinking I had literally just fallen and exploded blood all over. I immediately jumped up and grabbed the hose and started spraying the red paint so it didnt dry. She is yelling at me to stop and that I need medical attention. I am just spraying in every direction and of course it is now red everywhere. Se runs back inside comes out with her cordless phone and starts dialing 911. "You are in shock."

"Mrs. Freeman dont worry. i am fine. Its paint. Red paint. Your husband told me to paint the cupola red. Everything is ok. Well as long as I can keep this wet so it doesnt stain anything that isnt supposed to be red"

She could even really muster any words. She just looked so relieved and went inside and poured a glass of what I think was white wine. 

Worst part about that fall was that the paint shot up into my armpit too. Didnt realize it until I was done cleaning up. So much dried paint just tangled up in my armpit hair. Completely coated and dried. 

painting the interior.  running power to and hanging the tv above the fireplace.  

complete overhaul of the sprinkler system  replacing almost everything above ground and installing a lot of drip stations and putting in a waterfall.

the kitchen remodel is a dim fantasy, somewhere down the line.

first project...

need to stop an old leaky Delta shower faucet.  No indication in the inspection report where the main water shutoff is to the house.   Was able to get a tool from Ace and shut off the water at the street.   Now need to replace springs and washers in the faucet. :mellow:

up here the water shut off is usually in the basement where the line comes in from the street or the well if you still have one look for that bromigo take that to the bank 

first project...

need to stop an old leaky Delta shower faucet.  No indication in the inspection report where the main water shutoff is to the house.   Was able to get a tool from Ace and shut off the water at the street.   Now need to replace springs and washers in the faucet. :mellow:
no shutoff just for that bathroom? 

no shutoff just for that bathroom? 
No.  Can't find one specifically for the entire bathroom.

Pretty sure it's in the crawl space and I really don't want to venture in there.  Portland allows you to shutoff your own water at the street level.   

first project...

there might be a valve at the hose bib outside.  

No.  Can't find one specifically for the entire bathroom.

Pretty sure it's in the crawl space and I really don't want to venture in there.  Portland allows you to shutoff your own water at the street level.   
i just looked on google search engine and it says that in portland your shut off is probably in the basement or near your hot water heater or outside near the houses foundation or you can find the water meter which is usually in a pullbox with a metal lid sometimes in a sidewalk or near the front or your house but you are supposed to check become sometimes a city worker or a licensed plumber is required to turn it off that way so bam another riddle solved by the old swcer and the new amazing google search engine brought to you by google take that to the google bank bromigos 

i just looked on google search engine and it says that in portland your shut off is probably in the basement or near your hot water heater or outside near the houses foundation or you can find the water meter which is usually in a pullbox with a metal lid sometimes in a sidewalk or near the front or your house but you are supposed to check become sometimes a city worker or a licensed plumber is required to turn it off that way so bam another riddle solved by the old swcer and the new amazing google search engine brought to you by google take that to the google bank bromigos 
In portland do they have a hot water heater and a cold water heater? I kid, I kid. 

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
I found it and successfully turned it off yesterday.   So I can now shut off entire water supply to house in case of an emergency.  The hot water heater is in the attic BTW and I'm 99.9% sure the main water shut off is in my spider-infested crawl space.

I found it and successfully turned it off yesterday.   So I can now shut off entire water supply to house in case of an emergency.  The hot water heater is in the attic BTW and I'm 99.9% sure the main water shut off is in my spider-infested crawl space.
wait...what? When they installed it, did they realize water leaks down? No way I would want a water tank ABOVE my living space. 

wait...what? When they installed it, did they realize water leaks down? No way I would want a water tank ABOVE my living space. 
it sounds like a common practice out here.  It has a safety pan with a secured drain going out of the house.  

it sounds like a common practice out here.  It has a safety pan with a secured drain going out of the house.  
FYI you want two things here:

one is a cheap water alarm in the pan like this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000JOK11K/ref=zg_bs_7491105011_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=CD0HM0HFVS1QH6GQ102K

two is to go up there once every quarter and dump a gallon of water into the pan, make sure it drains freely. Those drains are notorious for getting a little 'gummy'

Home surveillance system up next, funds permitting.  Know what I want (roughly) but I bet I will be daunted by the array of options.  

Home surveillance system up next, funds permitting.  Know what I want (roughly) but I bet I will be daunted by the array of options.  
i'm vaguely interested in this too.  what sort of internet connection or what not do you have to have?  do you have to add anything?

Users who are viewing this thread