What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Home-owners...What are your current projects? (4 Viewers)

I found it and successfully turned it off yesterday.   So I can now shut off entire water supply to house in case of an emergency.  The hot water heater is in the attic BTW and I'm 99.9% sure the main water shut off is in my spider-infested crawl space.
nice work brohan on getting er dun take that to the bank

poor wording, maybe?

the river rock is sitting all around my house in what could be beautiful flower gardens. the previous owner ripped up everything and replaced it with rock. lots and lots of rock. rock that i can't even freaking give away.

put an ad up on craigslist yesterday. no bites so far.
OK.  I get it.  The funny part is I've got a ton of mulched landscaping and I'm looking to replace the mulch with river rock because I'm tired of weeds and having to choose between spending $1,200 on mulch every year or having my landscaping look like ####. 

OK.  I get it.  The funny part is I've got a ton of mulched landscaping and I'm looking to replace the mulch with river rock because I'm tired of weeds and having to choose between spending $1,200 on mulch every year or having my landscaping look like ####. 
that's a lot of ####### mulch :blink:

Stone is not always the saving grace people think it is. If i had it to do over again i would get a load of paving gravel first and put that down and pack it in. Then i would get the biggest river rock i could and put that down on top. Thats what my buddy did and it turned out great.

My biggest issue is keeping the leaves and debris out. I like to go through with the leaf blower, but unfortunately it blows away some of the stone too which of course exposes landscape fabric and that looks like crap. So then i am either adding rock or repositioning. If it was gravel underneath you dont notice the minor gaps like you do with fabric. The stone is less likely to move around too on gravel vs fabric. 

Stone is not always the saving grace people think it is. If i had it to do over again i would get a load of paving gravel first and put that down and pack it in. Then i would get the biggest river rock i could and put that down on top. Thats what my buddy did and it turned out great.

My biggest issue is keeping the leaves and debris out. I like to go through with the leaf blower, but unfortunately it blows away some of the stone too which of course exposes landscape fabric and that looks like crap. So then i am either adding rock or repositioning. If it was gravel underneath you dont notice the minor gaps like you do with fabric. The stone is less likely to move around too on gravel vs fabric. 
Plastic then ground cover then river rock. Weeds will grow through anything

Good advice.  I know under my deck where I put 2-3" river rock, there are some spots where you can see the sheeting underneath.  The gravel first is a good idea.  For my fire pit, I had them put down small river rock (like pea-sized).  That stuff has been there for 3 years now, and it basically packed down so hard that almost nothing will grow in it, and any weeds you do find pull up easily. 

I think what you're describing combines the best of both worlds - small river rock as a base to keep weeds from getting a good foothold, and the big rock for aesthetics and to keep the smaller stuff from blowing away, etc.

that's a lot of ####### mulch :blink:
:yes:   I guess admittedly the mulch itself is 2/3 of that...the rest is paying to have it put down...I think last time I needed ~20 yards.  I've since taken out a 50' x 25' bed and re-converted it to grass, so that'll help some. 

The previous owner of our house owned a greenhouse so I think he had tons of access to plants, mulch and cheap labor...his problem was he didn't know how to keep up with the plants once they started getting bigger and almost never trimmed them.  It's been a nightmare.  My wife wants to pull it all out and start over.  I've been slowly trimming back hedges to try and get them to a more manageable size.

Final coats of paint today & tomorrow, then decals & polyurethane. Looks good so far. I kept the design simple since it's my first attempt. Will post pics of the finished product.
Meh

Not winning any awards but they'll be fine for the wife's party on Saturday. Good learning experience. Most likely giving these away and will do over with a better design, better plywood, and lighter frame. 

Meh

Not winning any awards but they'll be fine for the wife's party on Saturday. Good learning experience. Most likely giving these away and will do over with a better design, better plywood, and lighter frame. 
Nice work!  Cornhole boards are harder than most people think to get right.  How is the slide for the bags?

Dig the fire dancer.  Nice touch.

Meh

Don't give them away, I'll buy those from you!  Really like the fire dancer.

How did you cut the hole? I imagine buying a hole saw that big would be very costly. Jig saw? Seems like a tough cut and it looks like you did a great job wiyh it.
I just used a compass to trace out the hole and a jig saw to cut it for mine.  Then I ran veneer edge banding around the inside of the hole, and then used wood filler to fill in any gaps and sanded it all up.  It's not perfect, but it's pretty good. 

I think I looked at a big hole saw and it was $40+. 

How did you cut the hole? I imagine buying a hole saw that big would be very costly. Jig saw? Seems like a tough cut and it looks like you did a great job wiyh it.
Jigsaw & drum sander. They're not perfect but close enough.

Nice work!  Cornhole boards are harder than most people think to get right.  How is the slide for the bags?

Dig the fire dancer.  Nice touch.
Still need a few coats of poly, then will test them out.

Thanks all for the compliments. Maybe I'm too critical. 

SO... termites. 

Gotta guy coming to take a look, but he can't be here until Tuesday. What do I need to know? I don't feel like this is something I should find a DIY solution for, I'd rather spend a little extra and have it done professionally right? Not something to screw around with IMO in order to save a few hundred. 

Or, just burn it all down and start over?

I have one hole, about the size of a nail hole, in a wall, and stuff coming out of it. So, they're in there somewhere. Little bastards. 
ruh-roh.

good luck... hopefully they're new and haven't gotten into too much. hate for this to turn into needing to do any reframing, etc.

Horseshoe pit update:

Bought myself 52 feet of treated 4x4s. Cut them down into the sizes I need for two pit boxes. Also cut up 4 2x6s to go underground as my side frames. Need to grab 2 more pieces of 2x6s for the rear of my boxes, but other than that I'm ready to assemble.

6 inch deep boxes, with 1 foot high borders above ground. It's a little higher than I first thought, but after testing with some makeshift stuff and some friends and beers...a foot high seems safest. I'll be reinforcing it from behind with some 2x4s cut down into stakes as well.

After the box, digging the pits, throwing down some landscaping tarp, it will take 6 cubic feet of play-sand per box.

Probably have to wait for the weekend. Need to treat some of the wood and I've got and spending tomorrow taking some friends four-wheeling in the mountains.

They look awesome. 

Everybody who builds things is overly critical of their own work because they KNOW where all the little flaws are.  The people playing on them will think they're perfect.  My set has several places where I "goofed," but unless you look right at it, you'd never notice.  I know they're there, so it bugs me personally, but nobody else knows.

SO... termites. 

Gotta guy coming to take a look, but he can't be here until Tuesday. What do I need to know? I don't feel like this is something I should find a DIY solution for, I'd rather spend a little extra and have it done professionally right? Not something to screw around with IMO in order to save a few hundred. 

I have one hole, about the size of a nail hole, in a wall, and stuff coming out of it. So, they're in there somewhere. Little bastards. 
:yes:   I DIY almost everything I'm capable of, and if someone told me I had termites, I'd go full-out professional and cut no corners. 

Termites, septic issues and water damage are the three things I fear most.

Last edited by a moderator:
SO... termites. 

You sure it isnt carpenter ants? 

I recently had to fight off carpenter bees in my brand new deck. I only noticed because i was working on it at night wearing a headlamp and happened to see a bee crawling on the side of the deck. I watched it crawl into a small hole that i could tell was freshly gnawed wood since i had just stained it. I killed like three bees, sprayed it like 5 days in a row, caulked it and put a roofing nail in to block the entry hole. 

Anyone have any good suggestions on where to start researching replacement windows?  The house we moved into was built in 2002 and has the original, single pane, not even builder grade windows in it.  My AC bill is going to go through the roof if I don't address these things by next summer.  We had renewal by Andersen out, which I knew was probably not a good idea.  After the visit, the average was about $1000 a window.

Is this something where I should just call a local window group and have them out?  Seems like the window industry is like others where 4-5 companies are responsible for most of the window options under different brand names.  Am I chasing my tail trying to hash out the window quality?  Part of me is thinking to find a reputable local guy who people love and choose from his options as they wouldn't be poor quality.

Thoughts?

Anyone have any good suggestions on where to start researching replacement windows?  The house we moved into was built in 2002 and has the original, single pane, not even builder grade windows in it.  My AC bill is going to go through the roof if I don't address these things by next summer.  We had renewal by Andersen out, which I knew was probably not a good idea.  After the visit, the average was about $1000 a window.

Is this something where I should just call a local window group and have them out?  Seems like the window industry is like others where 4-5 companies are responsible for most of the window options under different brand names.  Am I chasing my tail trying to hash out the window quality?  Part of me is thinking to find a reputable local guy who people love and choose from his options as they wouldn't be poor quality.

Thoughts?
The right answer is somewhere in between your Anderson guy and the $178 per window guy.

Google "replacement windows" for your area and get a few bids. Check their reviews and go with the company that makes you most comfortable. A double pane vinyl window is going to do wonders for your bills, so not much need to go into triple pane and all that jazz.

Edit to add: the guy we bought our house from put in the $178 windows, and they work just fine. If I was doing these myself (and I have installed windows about 30 times on various projects), I would go buy them myself from Lowes or Home Depot and install them. Probably a couple hundred per window. They are easy to replace.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thoughts?
The right answer is somewhere in between your Anderson guy and the $178 per window guy.

Google "replacement windows" for your area and get a few bids. Check their reviews and go with the company that makes you most comfortable. A double pane vinyl window is going to do wonders for your bills, so not much need to go into triple pane and all that jazz.

Edit to add: the guy we bought our house from put in the $178 windows, and they work just fine. If I was doing these myself (and I have installed windows about 30 times on various projects), I would go buy them myself from Lowes or Home Depot and install them. Probably a couple hundred per window. They are easy to replace
I had thought about doing it myself, but I have a couple problems.  #1, I have 25 windows and #2, the size and location of a few of them are less than desirable.  Also, given that this is a fixer upper sort of house, I have plenty of other things I am working on.  I'm good giving this task to someone else.  Off to the yellow pages it is!!

Extension is coming along well. Just finished framing the 2nd story/kids rooms part of the job. These guys are freakin fast. I guess it pays to know what you are doing. If I even attempted this, I'd still be on the 1st 2x4 and already made 15 tips to Home Depot. 

Before and after, plus the inside of the Den....10ft ceiling, fireplace and a huge, 3 window group with a rounded top window all framed out.  

on the opposite side of those den windows, I'm adding one of these. I saw it on Fixer Upper and told m wife I had to have it...we had to modify the plans slightly late in the game, but I got it in there. Will be my favorite feature of the entire tenno.

I would buy the windows myself and search on craigslist for a handyman or unemployed window guy or local meth head to install.

I did a similar thing for a fence I had built. Bought everything myself, found some shlub to dig the post holes, and found some other fence guys who did the work after hours. Saved myself a few thousand dollars

They look awesome. 

Everybody who builds things is overly critical of their own work because they KNOW where all the little flaws are.  The people playing on them will think they're perfect.  My set has several places where I "goofed," but unless you look right at it, you'd never notice.  I know they're there, so it bugs me personally, but nobody else knows.
every single project I've ever done, when I walk in or around it I'm pretty much only seeing the areas that didn't work or were mistakes. I spend so much time designing and building these places, by the time the furniture is moved in I can barely look at the place.

I have to work very hard not to say any of this stuff out loud to clients, potential clients, friends, bosses, anybody. it's for me to digest and do my best to fix on the next project.

every single project I've ever done, when I walk in or around it I'm pretty much only seeing the areas that didn't work or were mistakes. I spend so much time designing and building these places, by the time the furniture is moved in I can barely look at the place.

I have to work very hard not to say any of this stuff out loud to clients, potential clients, friends, bosses, anybody. it's for me to digest and do my best to fix on the next project.
Us house painters are the same way...

...and of course, when a client does catch the error...and complains...

...we always blame it on the architect!  :excited:

Jigsaw & drum sander. They're not perfect but close enough.

Still need a few coats of poly, then will test them out.

Steady hand with the jigsaw - that's tough to get right.  I've always done holes like that with a router.

You're too critical - they look nice.

Steady hand with the jigsaw - that's tough to get right.  I've always done holes like that with a router.

You're too critical - they look nice.
Thanks! It looked like a drunk did the holes after I finished with the jigsaw. The drum sander was a lifesaver.

Really nice glossy polyurethane finish on these now. They came out as well as I could've hoped for a first attempt. Glad I went with the yellow legs & bolt heads too. It's the little details. :)

Having a house full of peeps tomorrow for the wife's 39th bday. I've been working on these boards, and the damn pool and the landscaping nonstop since end of June.

IT BETTER NOT ####### RAIN.

first project...

need to stop an old leaky Delta shower faucet.  No indication in the inspection report where the main water shutoff is to the house.   Was able to get a tool from Ace and shut off the water at the street.   Now need to replace springs and washers in the faucet. :mellow:
I usually just find it easier to replace the whole faucet then to figure out what springs and stems and washers I need and fiddle around with it

Pouring over the budget for the new house, I've decided I can push mow for a bit. A third of an acre isn't too much to push mow, right? A couple trees block the sun to a couple of parts of the yard, so it's a couple of spots where grass doesn't grow all that well anyway. A little $180 push mower fits in the budget a little better than a rack on the ####tiest riding mower from a box store. It won't be a hell of a lot of fun during 70 hour work week, but a new heat pump (that could be necessary any day now) ain't going to pay for itself.

Speaking of money, we've eaten beans for dinner every single night since the offer was accepted over two weeks ago. I'm telling you, the dumps are simply fantastic. The gas goes away after a couple of days, but the dumps are even better than the money saved.

Pouring over the budget for the new house, I've decided I can push mow for a bit. A third of an acre isn't too much to push mow, right? A couple trees block the sun to a couple of parts of the yard, so it's a couple of spots where grass doesn't grow all that well anyway. A little $180 push mower fits in the budget a little better than a rack on the ####tiest riding mower from a box store. It won't be a hell of a lot of fun during 70 hour work week, but a new heat pump (that could be necessary any day now) ain't going to pay for itself.

Speaking of money, we've eaten beans for dinner every single night since the offer was accepted over two weeks ago. I'm telling you, the dumps are simply fantastic. The gas goes away after a couple of days, but the dumps are even better than the money saved.
Maybe get a self propelled push mower - that'll make mowing a lot less of a chore. A bit more expensive, though

Puch mowing a third of an acre will take time and effort.

Oh, and potatoes are your friend ;)

Finished replacing the master bathroom tub(rusted out), repainting said bathroom and retiling the area, which is now a shower basin with glass doors. Next up is repainting the master bedroom, and taking down the popcorn ceiling.

new playset for the yard in the September offing - my daughter is turning 12, and has really outgrown the existing (she's currently 5'1", a full two inches taller than her granma ever got).

gonna try a (mostly) self-made special  ... really digging the idea of going from scratch  :thumbup:

I'm push mowing 3/4 acre on hilly terrain - you'll be ok SALLY!

Alright esteemed DIYers, I need your help.

I've nearly finished one horseshoe pit box. It's 85-90% of what I want. I like the look, its the right size, its come together pretty well. BUT: the layers of wood won't quite stick together as I nail them together. Here's the situation: I have 4x4s for my lumber. Basically small railroad ties. I am building the box with small railroad spikes. As I hammer the spikes in, they connect the ties, but they create this little bit of space in between each piece of wood.

So while they were like this: ll     Now they are like this l/  where the nail is on the end that is separating. It still goes through both pieces, but they won't quite stay together. This is my first time doing something like this and I'm struggling to figure out what the hell to do to make the wood actually stay completely together, without any space in between 4x4s.

Alright esteemed DIYers, I need your help.

I've nearly finished one horseshoe pit box. It's 85-90% of what I want. I like the look, its the right size, its come together pretty well. BUT: the layers of wood won't quite stick together as I nail them together. Here's the situation: I have 4x4s for my lumber. Basically small railroad ties. I am building the box with small railroad spikes. As I hammer the spikes in, they connect the ties, but they create this little bit of space in between each piece of wood.

So while they were like this: ll     Now they are like this l/  where the nail is on the end that is separating. It still goes through both pieces, but they won't quite stay together. This is my first time doing something like this and I'm struggling to figure out what the hell to do to make the wood actually stay completely together, without any space in between 4x4s.
Use screws, not nails. 'Suck it together' via screws 

Use screws, not nails. 'Suck it together' via screws 
OK - do I need to remove current spikes, or will the screws work anyway?

Should I just be using screws between each pair of timbers, or should I get a huge ### long screw (10") to go through all 3?

OK - do I need to remove current spikes, or will the screws work anyway?

Should I just be using screws between each pair of timbers, or should I get a huge ### long screw (10") to go through all 3?
I'm not entirely sure of your setup. But is there a way to drill through all and attach a carriage bolt. Ten inches is a long a way to screw. (pun intended)

new playset for the yard in the September offing - my daughter is turning 12, and has really outgrown the existing (she's currently 5'1", a full two inches taller than her granma ever got).

gonna try a (mostly) self-made special  ... really digging the idea of going from scratch  :thumbup:
Hmmm, I'd recommend you to include iPads in your 'play set' if my teen girls are any indication of where your daughters interest will be turning the next couple of years.

Users who are viewing this thread