What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Home-owners...What are your current projects? (3 Viewers)

I just finished re-siding the front of my house. Bought primed clapboard and painted one coat before affixing to the house. Of course, had to rip off all the old stuff first. Still have to caulk and apply a 2nd coat before I can call it finished.
So that's what you have been doing instead of posting 'Who's hottest?' pics on Fridays. :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Did the kitchen last summer....nothing going on now except the installation of 40+ yards of mulch. The first 10 came this AM. Gonna be a loooooooooooooooong few days.
I'm only 10 yards into this project and I want to quit :kicksrock:
How does one "install" mulch? Don't you just sprinkle it around underneath your plants?
Pretty much....it involves shoveling it into your wheelbarrow, wheel it to wherever and spread....rinse and repeat. If you don't have a bunch of shrubs and such it's easier, but that's not the case here, so I have to shovel it into the wheelbarrow and shovel it out...just can't dump it (for a lot of it anyway). For me, it's about 13-14 wheelbarrows full per yard.

I finished that first 10 in a couple days. The next 15 came on Friday and I did about a third of that yesterday while my wife was sleeping in the hammock.

The search function sucks so this might be as good as any thread.

Need some advice on my backyard. I have two large dogs and my backyard has a trail right behind it used by a lot of walkers/bike riders. The dogs tear up everything chasing those people on the other side of the fence. I also live in a hot part of California so I'm battling A) sun year round and B) water restrictions are certainly going to come into effect very soon and in a very drastic way.

Needless to say, my yard looks like ####. I already redid the sod once and that was a complete waste.

Anybody have any suggestions on what to get to have a decent looking yard? Was thinking artificial grass but I don't know how dog friendly that stuff is (and does it get too hot for them). I also read the coloring warranty is really bad and after 4/5 years begins to fade.

I tried adding plants to my back fence but my dogs tore them up and I enjoy my view of the hillside.

I especially don't want to add sod now right before summer. I'm at a point where I feel like my only option is to 2x or 3x the size of my patio and minimize the grass. That won't be cheap but will reduce my water usage and look "better" than the dirt field I have.
Check with your water company asap. A lot of agencies are giving $2-4 sf to remove sod. Keep some grass but look for opportunities to add rock, mulch, shrubs, maybe a small putting green if your into that. They are paying to do it but those $$ are sure to run out soon.

I get to cut down a small tree and dig out the stump this weekend
How did it go? The stump always seems 10x harder than you think it will be.
way easier than expected this time. Probably cause the tree was dead.. but I cut all the limbs off. Dug a little around the base. Hatchet some small roots then I just took my chainsaw and cut through the ground and roots in a circle. Then dug out. Came right up. Probably took a half hour or so

Lot of crap. Got the keys on a new house a couple weeks ago. Decent price (I think), but needs a lot to be up to our (wife's) standards.

- new garage door at some point, with new opener (doing that now)

- remove big dead tree in the back yard that is close to the house

- probably new A/C unit in the next couple years

- new shower/tub insert in main bathroom

- probably paint living room( which also means ceiling and walls in hallway, dining room, kitchen....which will likely just turn into the entire damn house

- two new sliding glass doors, one upstairs, one downstairs

- some driveway repair

- new dishwasher

Where's Dentist? My house is about to be -EV like a MO FO.

And oh yeah, who can forget the never ending cycle of landscaping.

Maybe I just astro turf my lawn with the rubber mulch and call it a lifetime

The Commish said:
Otis said:
Did the kitchen last summer....nothing going on now except the installation of 40+ yards of mulch. The first 10 came this AM. Gonna be a loooooooooooooooong few days.
How does one "install" mulch? Don't you just sprinkle it around underneath your plants?
Pretty much....it involves shoveling it into your wheelbarrow, wheel it to wherever and spread....rinse and repeat. If you don't have a bunch of shrubs and such it's easier, but that's not the case here, so I have to shovel it into the wheelbarrow and shovel it out...just can't dump it (for a lot of it anyway). For me, it's about 13-14 wheelbarrows full per yard. I finished that first 10 in a couple days. The next 15 came on Friday and I did about a third of that yesterday while my wife was sleeping in the hammock.
Jesus how big is your property???

The Commish said:
Otis said:
Pretty much....it involves shoveling it into your wheelbarrow, wheel it to wherever and spread....rinse and repeat. If you don't have a bunch of shrubs and such it's easier, but that's not the case here, so I have to shovel it into the wheelbarrow and shovel it out...just can't dump it (for a lot of it anyway). For me, it's about 13-14 wheelbarrows full per yard. I finished that first 10 in a couple days. The next 15 came on Friday and I did about a third of that yesterday while my wife was sleeping in the hammock.
Jesus how big is your property???
We have almost 2/3 an acre with HUGE trees. We probably have a half dozen trees that are 24 inches plus in diameter so we have a ton of shade in our back yard. Grass takes a while to establish in our back yard because of the shade, so we have three large beds. I'm also putting it on a bit thick (about 3-4 inches) so I only have to do it every 4-5 years. Last year we had nothing down and I could have gone out there daily and picked weeds. It sucked.

I get to cut down a small tree and dig out the stump this weekend
hey honest do not try and use a chain hooked up to a bumper to pull it out the chains can let loose and hurt or kill you or anyone around bad idea jeans brohan

in fact i recommend that anyone who needs to remove a stump and is not having a easy go of it like bellman did just call a stump grinder to come and get it they normally charge only a small amount and it is the best money you will spend safer and easier on your back bromigos

May need to take down some tree branches. Chainsaw on a ladder - what could go wrong?
go rent or buy or borrow a powered chain trimmer with an extension handle you get to stay out from under the falling branches and can cut and run if you need to and with this concludes swcs safety hour for dealing with crappy tree projects take that to the lumber bank forest brofessionals

May need to take down some tree branches. Chainsaw on a ladder - what could go wrong?
go rent or buy or borrow a powered chain trimmer with an extension handle you get to stay out from under the falling branches and can cut and run if you need to and with this concludes swcs safety hour for dealing with crappy tree projects take that to the lumber bank forest brofessionals

Do they make one with a 40 ft extension?

probably not for that type of a job i would call a tree company let them get all tethered in and cut from above i just think any time you are up that high trying to run a chainsaw as a non forester you are asking for all sorts of trouble hey your family would probably rather have you spend a couple hondo than end up in the hosptial or worse brohan

40 feet? That's definitely hire out territory.

yeah no kidding brohan i get dizzy when i have to stand on a chair no way iin hell i am getting up forty feet of ladder with a chainsaw just not happening that is almost half a hondo feet man just think about that one for a while well you take it to the bank

Projects

- repair small leak in water line to house

- repair leak(s) in sprinkler system

- install more drainage for front walk to house

- install new front yard sod (not big)

- new ac unit for bedroom side of house

- need new yard tools - blower/vac, string trimmer, and hedge trimmer

- garage storage design and installation
Completed:

- water main leak broke in 2 other places ...replaced entire deal to house

- fixed 2 leaks found in sprinkler system, not sure when we will see future leaks due to crappy blue poly pipe that was installed 23 years ago

- $2.4K

Next:

- Have a couple of guys coming to plan/quote for new drainage

We are closing on a house the first of June. It was build in 1951, and other than an addition 20 years ago and roof 3 months ago, it's never been updated. We got the sellers to run new electrical and plumbing as part of the sell, so we're good there. The kitchen still has the original appliances. We got a great deal though, but it's going to be a long summer. First project is ripping up the carpet and refinishing the hardwood floors underneath. I actually have a little experience with this. I have a couple of questions about my next project though. The house is on a hill. There is a retaining wall in the front yard, and it has a really big flat front yard. However, the backyard is flat for about 20 feet, goes down a fairly steep hill, is flat for 10 feet, goes down hill again, and then flattens out for about 30 yards:

__

\

__

\

I'm considering having a 2 or 3 level deck down to the flat part. I have experience building decks, but nothing like this. My grandfather is a retired contractor, and he'll be helping with it. Where's the best place to design something like this?

Getting my driveway paved and buying a shed. Picking out the shed has been a royal pain in the ###. Too many options with colors, trim, windows, sizes....

We are closing on a house the first of June. It was build in 1951, and other than an addition 20 years ago and roof 3 months ago, it's never been updated. We got the sellers to run new electrical and plumbing as part of the sell, so we're good there. The kitchen still has the original appliances. We got a great deal though, but it's going to be a long summer. First project is ripping up the carpet and refinishing the hardwood floors underneath. I actually have a little experience with this. I have a couple of questions about my next project though. The house is on a hill. There is a retaining wall in the front yard, and it has a really big flat front yard. However, the backyard is flat for about 20 feet, goes down a fairly steep hill, is flat for 10 feet, goes down hill again, and then flattens out for about 30 yards:

__

\

__

\

I'm considering having a 2 or 3 level deck down to the flat part. I have experience building decks, but nothing like this. My grandfather is a retired contractor, and he'll be helping with it. Where's the best place to design something like this?
I'm thinking terraced rice paddies.

Getting my driveway paved and buying a shed. Picking out the shed has been a royal pain in the ###. Too many options with colors, trim, windows, sizes....
Building a shed is a really fun project if you're in to that sort of the thing. You can really take your time with it unlike interior projects which cause much more of a disruption.

Building a built in grill with a beer/mini fridge. Doing a concrete counter top but that might take me a while.

__

\

__

\

:confused:

You want a series of connected decks and stairs to go down the hill?

Make sure you get your footings right.

Anyone have any experience with laying carpet? We just finished a room in our basement but need carpet. We have padding and carpet that we ripped up from a similar size spot so I'm hoping to just use what we already have. But, I've never tried to put carpet down before.

I wanna make a fire pit.

What stones? And do you guys put in a metal liner? It would have to be more of a custom metal liner cause I want one bigger than what is sold in the hardware stores.

We just redid the deck over our garage. Expensive and big project.

We replaced the range in our kitchen--I got someone to pay $2800 (unbelievable!) for the old one and he gave us a deal on the new one.

Next up is replacing the tile in the entry foyer. I hate what's there now and we are also going to install a heating element below the stone so that the floor will be heard in the winter.

After that, wine cellar in the basement.

We replaced the range in our kitchen--I got someone to pay $2800 (unbelievable!) for the old one and he gave us a deal on the new one.

Next up is replacing the tile in the entry foyer. I hate what's there now and we are also going to install a heating element below the stone so that the floor will be heard in the winter.

Do you remember what product you used to waterproof between the decking and the roof?

Do you remember what product you used to waterproof between the decking and the roof?
No but the original was leaking and had to be replaced. That was an unforeseen expense.

No but the original was leaking and had to be replaced. That was an unforeseen expense.
any framing need replacing/sistering?

yeah- any time you open up something like that, you just have to keep your fingers crossed. pretty much true for any time you open up or demo anything. never know what you're going to find.

eta: including this. (close up view)

Users who are viewing this thread