What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Home-owners...What are your current projects? (2 Viewers)

What an amazing looking place. Where are you guys? Any more detail on the process?

Really impressive.
Thanks. I think  the curb appeal is pretty awesome and I pretty much pinch myself every time I look at it. 

We live in Miami. Been here about 10 years. Started out in a 1800 sq.ft townhouse that we rented from a landlord that didn't want to sell. We love the street we live on and were hoping to stay in the area when we started looking to buy something. Had the oportunity to purchase the lot across the street when the matriarch of a family that had been there for 60+ years passed away. There was a 3-BR Florida bungalow on the lot that hadn't been maintained over the years. The roof needed replacing, the central AC had just crapped out, it was small, only about 1100 sq. ft. We always knew that we wanted to build something but due to the real estate costs in the location we live in, I couldn't afford to do it on my own. In our area, it's common to build 2-unit townhomes on existing lots so that's what we decided to do. We took on a business partner to help with the funding and started moving forward. We are 50/50 partners so we are taking ownership over one of the townhomes and our business partner will sell theirs. At least we will have a pretty good sense of what ours is worth once that happens!

You can actually see part of the other unit in the picture. The garage on the left side is for the other unit, which is pretty much a mirror image of ours. We made some slight changes  based on our lifestyle but overall, they are pretty similar. Our unit is only 3-BR with an added loft area that will be more like a den with a TV/gaming system etc. for our 15-year old son.  The other unit enclosed that loft space and is using it as a 4th BR.. 

It's about 2700 sq ft under AC. Three bedroom, 4 full bathrooms. There is a roof deck that extends the livable space as the lot doesn't allow for much of a backyard. We had a roof terrace on the last townhouse we had and really enjoyed being 30+ feet in the air (better views, more of a breeze) and having the privacy that it brings so we definitely wanted one on our new place.

We are going from 1800 sq ft. to 900 sq ft (the "temporary" place we have been living for a year and a half but it's one house down the street and across the street from the original townhome we lived in) to 2700 sq ft in the new house.  Not sure what we are going to do with all of that extra space!

Front of the house

Still some cosmetic things to do but here is a shot of the front where you can see both units. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I think  the curb appeal is pretty awesome and I pretty much pinch myself every time I look at it. 
Agreed with the previous.  Nice, really nice looking place.  A shame you couldn't front the money for the whole build - I'll bet your partner makes some pretty good coin on his side.

Agreed with the previous.  Nice, really nice looking place.  A shame you couldn't front the money for the whole build - I'll bet your partner makes some pretty good coin on his side.
Just wasn't possible. The land alone was 4x what I paid for my last house, granted that was in Atlanta and 20 years ago....

In any event, I will take advantage of the instant equity we will receive by doing it ourselves. The value minus our costs definitely makes me think that all of this BS we have dealt with over the years has been worth it. We even have talked about doing it again.....just need to come up with the cash!

In any event, I will take advantage of the instant equity we will receive by doing it ourselves. The value minus our costs definitely makes me think that all of this BS we have dealt with over the years has been worth it. We even have talked about doing it again.....just need to come up with the cash!
Yep - no sense looking at a gift horse, etc., etc.  Hopefully you get a great comp soon that makes your wallet happy. 

In the process of converting one of my kitchen drawers into a paper towel holder/dispenser (so no longer sitting on countertop taking up space and being ugly). 

Almost complete and pretty sweet.  Bonus is that the depth of the drawer allows to store 4 rolls behind the active roll (so this one drawer holds 5 total thick rolls of paper towel). Looks cool, very functional and saves on lots of paper storage space normally in laundry closet. 
Project complete! 

https://flic.kr/p/2h7AomV

https://flic.kr/p/2h7xRkM

https://flic.kr/p/2h7xRoc

https://flic.kr/p/2h7xRo2

https://flic.kr/p/2h7Aonr

I’m putting in about $500 in my present kitchen just to make it a little nicer for the next couple of years before a full remodel.  Found a nice undermount sink that I’m gonna use now but likely would use in future kitchen too.  

It has clamps underneath to mount but I’d like to attach it with more than just clips to make water tight.    My question...what can I use in addition to the mounting clips to attach better, BUT also be able to easily detach it from this present countertop so I can use with different countertops down the line?

Ia it just as simple as using silicone?  Do I only use the silicone like a caulking type on outer edge or can I spread it like a glue also? 

offdee said:
I’m putting in about $500 in my present kitchen just to make it a little nicer for the next couple of years before a full remodel.  Found a nice undermount sink that I’m gonna use now but likely would use in future kitchen too.  

It has clamps underneath to mount but I’d like to attach it with more than just clips to make water tight.    My question...what can I use in addition to the mounting clips to attach better, BUT also be able to easily detach it from this present countertop so I can use with different countertops down the line?

Ia it just as simple as using silicone?  Do I only use the silicone like a caulking type on outer edge or can I spread it like a glue also? 
Clear silicone. 

What is the counter made of? Sink is SS? 

Been wanting to redo the mulch bed in the front yard since I moved in last October due to the ugly/pain to clean border bricks and the incredible amount of weeds that grow in the mulch, so yesterday went to Lowes and got some landscape fabric, pine bark mulch, and new border stones. Pretty happy with how it looks, and there will be way less weeding in my future.

Start

Stones staged

Fabric down

Almost done

Much better

Clear silicone. 

What is the counter made of? Sink is SS? 
@wilked would i use silicone “sealant”?  Im finding silicone “adhesive” hard to find on Amazon and reviews on those say hard to separate at a later time.  Will the “silicone sealant” hold and work better for my purpose?

So glad I had the roof replaced back in April way before this craptacular storm season. Can't wait until December 1st. Sorry @Wingnut

So glad I had the roof replaced back in April way before this craptacular storm season. Can't wait until December 1st. Sorry @Wingnut
Doesnt matter if this storm damages the roof, the new one is slated to be done this week (but will prob get pushed back til next week)...so Id actually rather wait til after Dorian blows through to get it done. :shrug:

@wilked would i use silicone “sealant”?  Im finding silicone “adhesive” hard to find on Amazon and reviews on those say hard to separate at a later time.  Will the “silicone sealant” hold and work better for my purpose?
Just understand that the clip mechanism is the seal. Silicone is a secondary seal. Don’t worry too much about it, sale stuff they use for showers is what you want 

Ugh...having my roof replaced today and had no idea how bad the wood was. So far it looks like they had to replace about 15 or so boards all around the edge of the roof where there was significant rot, as well as a bunch of 2x4s. Not looking forward to seeing how much it's gonna cost over the original estimate.

All around the edges looked like this

:censored:

I laid a new vapor barrier in my crawlspace this weekend. When I say claw space it's truly that. Imagine sitting under your desk hunched over, that's the highest point in my crawlspace. Everywhere else you are on your belly crawling and over things. I'm a firm believer that every high school senior should do this for a summer before they decide on what they want to be when they grow up to get a taste of what they don't want to be when they grow up.

Closing my pool before the neighbors sweet sixteen party on Saturday. Kid was there with friends for last 4. Not this time.

Back to work on the rehab house after a three month break.  So doing plumbing rough in was quoted $5000 for two toilets.  That's almost two years of mortgage payments.  So I get to do it myself.

My one fence post began leaning. If I push it back to standing position, I can push at least 8 inches or so. I don't think its in danger of falling but am wondering what can be done.

My one fence post began leaning. If I push it back to standing position, I can push at least 8 inches or so. I don't think its in danger of falling but am wondering what can be done.
Post puller like this one and a bag of cement.https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000DCN8SQ?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title#,

Put new post back in.  

https://www.amazon.com/Sika-61109087-33Oz-Post-Backfill/dp/B01N1Q5YNE/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=sika&qid=1567640480&s=gateway&sr=8-3#

this stuff works good know idea how long it will last though.  Option if you don't wanna deal with cement.

It has stopped raining everyday so it's time to pressure wash the pavers.  I think I'm going to do it all the way this time, which I do every few years. I spray it down with bleach before, then pressure wash, bleach again, rinse, and then seal.  Might have to put a little sand in.  

bucksoh said:
Back to work on the rehab house after a three month break.  So doing plumbing rough in was quoted $5000 for two toilets.  That's almost two years of mortgage payments.  So I get to do it myself.
$5k = 2 years of mortgage payments? Wow, I need to move wherever you live.

Day 1 of the garage demo and pool removal tomorrow, and one insurance claim so far.

I pull up just as the guy is leaving.  He's in his truck, so I wave and walk to the house.  He flags me down and gets my attention.  He comes up to me, doing this nervous chuckle.  I'm curious.  He lets me know when he was taking down my garage, it fell into my neighbors garage.  The wall near the property line is caved in and it looks like the whole structure moved a foot and a half or so.  I was pretty nervous, as my relationship with the neighbors is a little touch and go.  He assures me there is no problem as his insurance will take care of it and he already talked to the neighbor (he's home during the day).  Great, OK.

I am around all evening keeping my eye out as I want to talk to them if they are around, but I don't see them.  Then my wife gets home and they are out.  She doesn't know the story yet, so she asks them how's it going?  The wife says she is pissed and tells her the story.  Hmm, everything not OK I guess.  They use their garage as a storage shed essentially (borderline hoarding situation) and they can't get into the garage as they don't know it is safe (some wires were exposed).  We talked for a few minutes, and I think they settled down a little bit.  Frustrating regardless.

Took a picture of the backyard as I have three big construction vehicles, the pile that used to be the garage (dumpster coming today), chain link fence in a pile, and empty pool.

Ugh...having my roof replaced today and had no idea how bad the wood was. So far it looks like they had to replace about 15 or so boards all around the edge of the roof where there was significant rot, as well as a bunch of 2x4s. Not looking forward to seeing how much it's gonna cost over the original estimate.

All around the edges looked like this

:censored:
Particle board? Ugh. Replace with plywood. Either way at least you know you have decent structure now under the new shingles.

Particle board? Ugh. Replace with plywood. Either way at least you know you have decent structure now under the new shingles.

Is that even to code?  That stuff crumbles at the hint of water.
The roofing company I used is one of the biggest and most reputable here in Central Florida. Everything they do is up to Florida code, the boards they use are OSB, not particle board. For the $13k Im dropping for the roof, Im sure the materials they use will hold up.

Found this after a quick search:

Oriented Strand Board isn't plywood, nor is it a type of particleboard, fiberboard or wafer board, and although it is a newcomer to a plywood-dominated market, its use for exterior sheathing is becoming routine. Every building authority in the United States, except for one, allows the use of OSB for roof sheathing. It has better structural integrity than plywood, it's less expensive, and contemporary products are just as able to repel rain and moisture.

In order to obtain the thin sheets of laminate to make plywood, manufacturers have to slice them from full logs, but they grind logs into strands in order to produce OSB. They orient the strands in piles, and arrange these perpendicular to each other to mimic plywood. This gives OSB more shear strength than plywood, and it has virtually no tendency to delaminate. By saturating the strands with wax before gluing them together, manufacturers give OSB an ability to repel water that is equal to or better than that of plywood. Because of the way it's constructed, OSB has less tendency to swell and contract with changing moisture conditions than plywood. It also has less tendency to absorb moisture

Both the National Roofing Contractors Association and the Asphalt Roofing Manufacturers Association recommend the use of OSB for roof sheathing, as long as it bears the approval stamp of the APA - Engineered Wood Association. The only building authority in the country that doesn't accept its use is Dade County, Florida. It banned OSB after Hurricane Andrew caused extensive damage to rooftops in 1992, citing OSB's inferior ability to hold nails. Dade County maintains the ban even though subsequent research has disproven this claim.

From written estimate from the roofing company:

GAF Timberline HD Shingles (130 MPH wind rating) with Manufacturer's Lifetime Warranty
GAF Seal-a-Ridge Hip and Ridge Shingles
GAF Cobra 3 Ridge Vents (NOTE: 2/12 to 2.9/12 roof pitch will have off-ridge vents in lieu of ridge vents)
GAF Starter Shingles
GAF Felt Buster Synthetic Underlayment
New Lead Boots
Ice & Water Shield in Valleys (if applicable)
Drip Edge on all Rakes and Eaves (Color: White)
Installation will be performed to Florida Building Codes and Manufacturer's Specifications.

The roofing company I used is one of the biggest and most reputable here in Central Florida. Everything they do is up to Florida code, the boards they use are OSB, not particle board. For the $13k Im dropping for the roof, Im sure the materials they use will hold up.

Found this after a quick search:

Oriented Strand Board isn't plywood, nor is it a type of particleboard, fiberboard or wafer board, and although it is a newcomer to a plywood-dominated market, its use for exterior sheathing is becoming routine. Every building authority in the United States, except for one, allows the use of OSB for roof sheathing. It has better structural integrity than plywood, it's less expensive, and contemporary products are just as able to repel rain and moisture.

In order to obtain the thin sheets of laminate to make plywood, manufacturers have to slice them from full logs, but they grind logs into strands in order to produce OSB. They orient the strands in piles, and arrange these perpendicular to each other to mimic plywood. This gives OSB more shear strength than plywood, and it has virtually no tendency to delaminate. By saturating the strands with wax before gluing them together, manufacturers give OSB an ability to repel water that is equal to or better than that of plywood. Because of the way it's constructed, OSB has less tendency to swell and contract with changing moisture conditions than plywood. It also has less tendency to absorb moisture

Both the National Roofing Contractors Association and the Asphalt Roofing Manufacturers Association recommend the use of OSB for roof sheathing, as long as it bears the approval stamp of the APA - Engineered Wood Association. The only building authority in the country that doesn't accept its use is Dade County, Florida. It banned OSB after Hurricane Andrew caused extensive damage to rooftops in 1992, citing OSB's inferior ability to hold nails. Dade County maintains the ban even though subsequent research has disproven this claim.

From written estimate from the roofing company:

GAF Timberline HD Shingles (130 MPH wind rating) with Manufacturer's Lifetime Warranty
GAF Seal-a-Ridge Hip and Ridge Shingles
GAF Cobra 3 Ridge Vents (NOTE: 2/12 to 2.9/12 roof pitch will have off-ridge vents in lieu of ridge vents)
GAF Starter Shingles
GAF Felt Buster Synthetic Underlayment
New Lead Boots
Ice & Water Shield in Valleys (if applicable)
Drip Edge on all Rakes and Eaves (Color: White)
Installation will be performed to Florida Building Codes and Manufacturer's Specifications.
Was OSB also the sheathing that's being replaced? It's hard to tell from the picture.

Anyway, I sold building materials for years and agree that OSB is better than plywood for roofs, decks, and walls.

Main foot traffic door from the garage to the mudroom....just installed new hinges with tension springs so door slowly closes shut on its own.  $20 and 30 mins of my time will save telling kids to “close the door” about 3 times a day. These things are pretty great. 

replacing all of our ceiling can lights with LEDs (like 24 of them)

replacing a large ceiling fan and light fixture (that came with the house) with LED can light

taking down chandelier that came with the house (23 yrs) with a new one

rearranging furniture in bedroom, office, dining room and living room - replacing all living room furniture (2 couches and a large recliner)

I laid a new vapor barrier in my crawlspace this weekend. When I say claw space it's truly that. Imagine sitting under your desk hunched over, that's the highest point in my crawlspace. Everywhere else you are on your belly crawling and over things. I'm a firm believer that every high school senior should do this for a summer before they decide on what they want to be when they grow up to get a taste of what they don't want to be when they grow up.
Tearing off shingles in the dead of summer is another life altering experience. 

Main foot traffic door from the garage to the mudroom....just installed new hinges with tension springs so door slowly closes shut on its own.  $20 and 30 mins of my time will save telling kids to “close the door” about 3 times a day. These things are pretty great. 
I should do this. To be honest, I think these days code requires garage doors to be fire rated and close on their own. 

New light chandelier installed in between stairwell on a vaulted second floor ceiling...20 ft above the ground beneath it. Took about a month to figure out how to actually reach the wire box...two different guys quoted me $500 to do it...ummm no effing way.  Finally figured out how to do on my own today. And no emergency room visits! 

https://flic.kr/p/2hdhga5

https://flic.kr/p/2hdeGmz

https://flic.kr/p/2hdgrt2

https://flic.kr/p/2hdeGn6
OSHA does not approve!

Next time could you lay a blanket over the railing and use an extension ladder from below resting on the blanket? Just an idea as I can’t see everything in those pictures. 

House looks great, GB!

New light chandelier installed in between stairwell on a vaulted second floor ceiling...20 ft above the ground beneath it. Took about a month to figure out how to actually reach the wire box...two different guys quoted me $500 to do it...ummm no effing way.  Finally figured out how to do on my own today. And no emergency room visits! 

https://flic.kr/p/2hdhga5

https://flic.kr/p/2hdeGmz

https://flic.kr/p/2hdgrt2

https://flic.kr/p/2hdeGn6
This one made me cringe

Ultimately no good way to do it other than scaffolding from the ground though. I think I would have harnessed in though, tied off to something and make sure the lanyard is shorter than the ground 

Now that we’re staying I’m excited to get started on several projects that I will do a better job of documenting:

Most exciting is my workshop/garage. This will be big enough to have a garage bay and eventually a lift to work on my truck and motorcycles, climate controlled storage, and basketball court. I will be doing all the work except running the electric. 

20’ of privacy fence along the left side of the house so I can pee from the deck in the morning and not worry about the neighbors seeing me from their bedroom window. 

Front yard- Installing a fence and, tearing out 3 mature trees and planting Blue Spruces. I plan on planting A LOT of these. 

Small privacy fence to hid the trash and recycling cans.

Now that we’re staying I’m excited to get started on several projects that I will do a better job of documenting:

Most exciting is my workshop/garage. This will be big enough to have a garage bay and eventually a lift to work on my truck and motorcycles, climate controlled storage, and basketball court. I will be doing all the work except running the electric. 

20’ of privacy fence along the left side of the house so I can pee from the deck in the morning and not worry about the neighbors seeing me from their bedroom window. 

Front yard- Installing a fence and, tearing out 3 mature trees and planting Blue Spruces. I plan on planting A LOT of these. 

Small privacy fence to hid the trash and recycling cans.
Basketball Court???!!!

Check our garage journal if you haven’t already.  Tons of info and also so pretty sweet deals in the hot deals section.

Basketball Court???!!!

Check our garage journal if you haven’t already.  Tons of info and also so pretty sweet deals in the hot deals section.
To be clear the BB court will be outside and only half court. My daughter plays so I’d like to give her a spot to practice without having to leave our “compound” I’m creating. 

So now that Grad school is out of the way, here is the list off the top of my head.  I am sure there is more.

1. Paint shutters

2. Sand / restain front door

3. Patch a hole in driveway

4. Check change capacitor in living room fan.

Outdoor kitchen crap

4. Replace switch on disposal.

5. Build exhaust hood over grill.

6. Add can lights

7. Replace fans.  Big A** fan?

8. Change faucet to pull down.

Garage

1. Epoxy floor

2. Build shelving

3. Other stuff...  Still thinking

To be clear the BB court will be outside and only half court. My daughter plays so I’d like to give her a spot to practice without having to leave our “compound” I’m creating. 
Gotcha.  I was thinking indoor lol.  I need to put one of them Gorilla goals in.  What size garage?  I am going through the same however it will be only the 3rd spot in a 3 car garage.  Hoping to make a woodworking area and general working area.

Gotcha.  I was thinking indoor lol.  I need to put one of them Gorilla goals in.  What size garage?  I am going through the same however it will be only the 3rd spot in a 3 car garage.  Hoping to make a woodworking area and general working area.
I’d like a 30x20 something 

I have to check again but from what I understand here in Montgomery county Maryland you can only build a detached garage to be 50% of your main house footprint. 

What I don’t know is if that footprint includes my current attached garage.

Day 1 of the garage demo and pool removal tomorrow, and one insurance claim so far.

I pull up just as the guy is leaving.  He's in his truck, so I wave and walk to the house.  He flags me down and gets my attention.  He comes up to me, doing this nervous chuckle.  I'm curious.  He lets me know when he was taking down my garage, it fell into my neighbors garage.  The wall near the property line is caved in and it looks like the whole structure moved a foot and a half or so.  I was pretty nervous, as my relationship with the neighbors is a little touch and go.  He assures me there is no problem as his insurance will take care of it and he already talked to the neighbor (he's home during the day).  Great, OK.

I am around all evening keeping my eye out as I want to talk to them if they are around, but I don't see them.  Then my wife gets home and they are out.  She doesn't know the story yet, so she asks them how's it going?  The wife says she is pissed and tells her the story.  Hmm, everything not OK I guess.  They use their garage as a storage shed essentially (borderline hoarding situation) and they can't get into the garage as they don't know it is safe (some wires were exposed).  We talked for a few minutes, and I think they settled down a little bit.  Frustrating regardless.

Took a picture of the backyard as I have three big construction vehicles, the pile that used to be the garage (dumpster coming today), chain link fence in a pile, and empty pool.
So, while the guy was digging up the pool, he found an uncapped live gas line leading to the pool house/shed (which was behind the pool).  No cap on the end of the pipe, and a faint, but definite gas pressure coming out.  Was buried under the concrete foundation the pool shed was built on.  No idea what they were thinking.  Anyway, this required calling someone else out to cut the line off in our basement and capping it there so I didn't have a live gas line running through my yard (anymore).  Add $500 to the cost of the project.  Yay.

Users who are viewing this thread