What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Home-owners...What are your current projects? (1 Viewer)

As good a time as any for this thread...

I need to add a gutter to the rear side of my shed. Smaller project but necessary due to board rot. I already ripped off a couple of the shiplapped boards and replaced them to prevent critters from taking up residence.

Also considering moving some trees around. One is some kind of ornamental pine tree that really serves no purpose next to the deck. Also need the space to grow plants requiring full sun. Have a couple of pear trees coming soon, hopefully.

Will be painting 2 small bedroom closets and ceiling in master bedroom in the coming weeks. Hoping to get the inside of the garage painted later this year. 

Taking this time to make a second bedroom in our walk out basement. House had an odd layout (2 bedrooms on main floor, 1 bedroom downstairs). Having 2 bedrooms on the lower level makes for happier parents of two boys (6 and 8 years old).

Anyway - while doing demo I needed to rip out some of the drop ceiling (it was ugly as #### anyway). I am ready to vomit though. Found several dead mice and so much mice poop up there. ####### gross. Makes me wonder if every drop ceiling in every house that ever had any mice in it looks the same. So of course, once I started ripping out some of the ceiling, I couldn't very well live with my self without ridding our house of all of it. I feel so diseased right now. Ugh

The new part of our house has a "basement", really just a crawlspace but it attaches to our front porch where I have an American flag flying.  I've tried all sorts of LED/Solar lights but they all suck eventually so I've got the romex and junction box to mount a 120 VAC LED with photocell as a flag light.  Just have to suck it up and crawl about halfway under the house to run the power.  Not looking forward to it. I took a peek under there last weekend and it seemed surprising devoid of sneks but still not in a hurry to do it.

Has anyone ever painted their garage floor?   I've always liked that clean epoxy look.   We have so many dusty footprints in the house from the garage floor.  

Curious on if you did it, was it worth it?  I fear it will be one of those things that looks great for a month of two, but then it will peel and crack and look bad and possibly not even help the dust issue.  

Seems like a nice, smallish, project to knock out now.  

Trying to do things that do not cost money.

Before this Covid thing got serious here I had bought a few new plants for the front yard. Trying to attract more hummingbirds,butterflies, bees,etc...

I also have six trees to plant that I started last year from seeds I had collected so I can plant those as well.

I am weeding a lot!!!!! As I weed I am trying to avoid the wild flowers. I am also redoing front yard landscaping with materials I have on hand. I am also working on planting a garden. I do this every few years and it usually benefits the rabbits and ground squirrels more than me but I figure now is as good a time as any to try again.

I decided to tear out my front walk way and do something different. About 156 square feet. I am thinking about flagstone steps with superior gold 1/2" gravel. I borrowed a jack hammer and pulled up all the old stuff. I am now in the order flag stone and gravel phase. I figure this is a nice cheap home improvement that will really look nice. A lot of bang for the buck, I'm hoping. I continue to try to stay busy and do things that don't cost much. 

I decided to tear out my front walk way and do something different. About 156 square feet. I am thinking about flagstone steps with superior gold 1/2" gravel. I borrowed a jack hammer and pulled up all the old stuff. I am now in the order flag stone and gravel phase. I figure this is a nice cheap home improvement that will really look nice. A lot of bang for the buck, I'm hoping. I continue to try to stay busy and do things that don't cost much. 
Seems like a quick and easy project, and if could be if you only want it to look decent for a year. If you want it to last you really need to dig down and put in a of stone fully compacted and level   before laying the stone.  If half-donkey it, it will all start to sink and become unlevel and look like a hack job. Take extra time to do it right the first time.  

Seems like a quick and easy project, and if could be if you only want it to look decent for a year. If you want it to last you really need to dig down and put in a of stone fully compacted and level   before laying the stone.  If half-donkey it, it will all start to sink and become unlevel and look like a hack job. Take extra time to do it right the first time.  
This

job is 90% prep. Putting the flagstones on is the 10% 

The old stuff which I believe was 1/4" and less formed a really solid base. This is what I took most of out. I did leave a solid compacted layer. It looks level to the naked eye but admittedly I have not put a level to it. I could still do that and maybe I will. 

This is a quick and easy and cheap project with potential for a big bang. 

A landscaping buddy of mine told me I should get 1/4" or 3/8" decorative rock for my walk way. At the gravel yard I kind of liked the 1/2" look better. Gravel yard guy says 1/2" doesn't get moved by water as easily. I have also decided to put flagstone down and decorative rock around it. This walk way is 11' x 7' and goes from driveway to front deck.

Like I said earlier it looks level eyeballing it. I think I will tamp the area down, which may be overkill as this is pretty tamped down from over 20 years of use. I will then put the flagstone in and make sure that is level. I will then spread my stone around the flagstone.

Sound right?

Anyone here have feelings about 1/2" decorative stone vs 1/4" ?

I think what I pulled out had to be 1/4" and less. I did not like how it formed a kind of concrete dirt look to it.

prosopis said:
A landscaping buddy of mine told me I should get 1/4" or 3/8" decorative rock for my walk way. At the gravel yard I kind of liked the 1/2" look better. Gravel yard guy says 1/2" doesn't get moved by water as easily. I have also decided to put flagstone down and decorative rock around it. This walk way is 11' x 7' and goes from driveway to front deck.

Like I said earlier it looks level eyeballing it. I think I will tamp the area down, which may be overkill as this is pretty tamped down from over 20 years of use. I will then put the flagstone in and make sure that is level. I will then spread my stone around the flagstone.

Sound right?

Anyone here have feelings about 1/2" decorative stone vs 1/4" ?

I think what I pulled out had to be 1/4" and less. I did not like how it formed a kind of concrete dirt look to it.
Think about using Polymeric Sand in the grooves between the stones.    It bonds and hardens almost like a grout after getting wet to hole stones in place.  I used it on a patio extension this past summer and am very happy with it.

https://flic.kr/p/2g8HsHo

https://flic.kr/p/2g8HLmR

https://flic.kr/p/2g8HsFz

Last edited by a moderator:
Think about using Polymeric Sand in the grooves between the stones.    It bonds and hardens almost like a grout after getting wet to hole stones in place.  I used it on a patio extension this past summer and am very happy with it.

https://flic.kr/p/2g8HsHo

https://flic.kr/p/2g8HLmR

https://flic.kr/p/2g8HsFz
My flagstone will be much further apart. Literally stepping stones in gravel. My area is 24' x 7' and I am putting in 9-10 flagstones. I just walked the walk way and plan on putting a flagstone where my foot falls. That is how I came up with 9-10 flagstones. 

It will just be gravel between the stones and I believe I am going with the 3/8 decorative rock.

I went to the gravel yard and it turns out the flagstone was just to expensive at this time. I deferred the flagstone and went with 3/8 Superior Gold. I think I need to replace some of the fill I removed now because I think I took to much out. I will then spread the gravel and should be good to go.

In the process of painting 2 closets white after original barely painted contractor grade paint spray (been in house 14+ years). Just finished one coat in the first closet and finishing touch up in the 2nd closet. I forgot how much I loathe painting. Pics

I am contemplating putting a new roof on my shed. I have never done a roof before. I suspect if you were going to learn on your own, a shed would be a good place. Of course being furloughed I am trying to do this on the cheap. I think I have enough plywood that I tore up off  of my old deck to use on the roof. It will be close and it may be patched together but I think I have enough.

I then feel like I have three choices:

1: buy roof paper? and shingles? This I believe would be the correct way but I am concerned on cost of shingles,nails,paper?

2: I have some old corrugated tin that I used for a chicken coop. I could just screw this down on the plywood?

3: I have old awning pieces from when the wind tore my awning off the house. Awning was replaced and I kept old stuff. I feel this may be the most diificult choice as I am not sure I can cut the awning to size. This may be true about corrugated tin as well. I was thinking of putting awning on the peak of the roof like a see saw. Then bend the awning down and screw into roof?

As I said I have never done a roof before and I am trying to piece this together. It is not a huge shed. Big enough for tools and garden supplies. Think tuff shed. Over the years the wind tore the shingles off and monsoon rains have destroyed much of roof. It leaks badly.

I realize how red necky options 2&3 are but it would fit in where I live. 😄

You mean 2&3 are red necky :)

You you still typically use underlayment with a tin roof

I have an unfinished area off my finished area in the basement.  After doing the measurements and laying out the floor plan, I have decided to finish part of the area into an extra room that can be easily used as a guest bedroom.  I had the builders put in an egress window when I had the house built in anticipation of this project, so that is already taken care of.  I will net about a 240 sq ft room, and still have another 80 or so to put some shelving up for storage.  

I have the stuff set to be delivered for the walls and insulation on Wednesday.  Biggest decision I have left is whether or not to do a sub-floor and what type of flooring to do.  The rest of the finished portion of the basement is carpeted (about 800 sq ft) and tiled in the bathroom, but I don't think they did a subfloor.  That is based on the height of the floor at the transition points.  At this point, I don't think I will do a subfloor.  I don't have a moisture problem at all.  I have a thermometer down there that shows the humidity, and I have never seen it get too bad.  I also have a good sized dehumidifier that I never installed that I can have drain right into the area where the sump pump is.  So, really any concerns about moisture are not really relevant.  

I know I am not doing carpet or ceramic tile, and am looking at the possibility of and LVT or some of the manufactured wood.  My only concern is the floor being too cold for a bedroom, but I do plan on putting down an area rug.  

TLDR:  Subfloor or no subfloor in a finished basement room?

I have an unfinished area off my finished area in the basement.  After doing the measurements and laying out the floor plan, I have decided to finish part of the area into an extra room that can be easily used as a guest bedroom.  I had the builders put in an egress window when I had the house built in anticipation of this project, so that is already taken care of.  I will net about a 240 sq ft room, and still have another 80 or so to put some shelving up for storage.  

I have the stuff set to be delivered for the walls and insulation on Wednesday.  Biggest decision I have left is whether or not to do a sub-floor and what type of flooring to do.  The rest of the finished portion of the basement is carpeted (about 800 sq ft) and tiled in the bathroom, but I don't think they did a subfloor.  That is based on the height of the floor at the transition points.  At this point, I don't think I will do a subfloor.  I don't have a moisture problem at all.  I have a thermometer down there that shows the humidity, and I have never seen it get too bad.  I also have a good sized dehumidifier that I never installed that I can have drain right into the area where the sump pump is.  So, really any concerns about moisture are not really relevant.  

I know I am not doing carpet or ceramic tile, and am looking at the possibility of and LVT or some of the manufactured wood.  My only concern is the floor being too cold for a bedroom, but I do plan on putting down an area rug.  

Assuming your basement floor is concrete you shouldn't need a sub floor unless you plan on putting down hardwood flooring. 

Given that it's a bedroom I would go with carpet and pad or a thick carpet tile but the floating vinyl floors are good too. Just know, despite whatever the marking says, those floating floors can never get wet. Sure the material is water resistant but the water thats under the floor is trapped and will never escape until the floor is ripped up.

Having done it once, I would never put any type of hard tile down in a basement again without running heating flooring (,which I'm not super fond of). Obviously basement laundry or bathrooms would be the exception. 

/discombobulated rant. 

Total Finished Basement (incl new) - ~1000 sq ft.  Currently finished is 800, so the new portion will be 20%.  

I would copy what you did on the other 80%, and if you want to make a change either make it for the whole thing or stick with what there is

Is your thermostat linked to your phone via wifi?  If not, I would make that part of the project

Assuming your basement floor is concrete you shouldn't need a sub floor unless you plan on putting down hardwood flooring. 

Given that it's a bedroom I would go with carpet and pad or a thick carpet tile but the floating vinyl floors are good too. Just know, despite whatever the marking says, those floating floors can never get wet. Sure the material is water resistant but the water thats under the floor is trapped and will never escape until the floor is ripped up.

Having done it once, I would never put any type of hard tile down in a basement again without running heating flooring (,which I'm not super fond of). Obviously basement laundry or bathrooms would be the exception. 

/discombobulated rant. 
Appreciate the response.  We have been doing a lot of flooring at work, so I am getting more and more familiar with the different types of flooring options.  I know the manufactured woods are ok for basement, and some even have the underlayment already on.  

Carpet is the one type of flooring I don't feel comfortable doing myself, at least not roll-out carpet.  I could consider carpet tiles or the like, but those would not have a pad, either.  I don't want any contractors in the house or really I'm just being cheap, but given this will only be used as a basement for two weeks, maybe a month at most, out of the year, I don't think it will be too big of a deal to just put down an area rug. 

Agree with you on tile.  Its just a cold surface in every way.

Total Finished Basement (incl new) - ~1000 sq ft.  Currently finished is 800, so the new portion will be 20%.  

I would copy what you did on the other 80%, and if you want to make a change either make it for the whole thing or stick with what there is

Is your thermostat linked to your phone via wifi?  If not, I would make that part of the project
If you add in the bathroom, its will be about 1100.  There will be a door separating the areas, so it doesn't have to be uniform at all.  Only issue is the transition not being a trip hazard.

No thermostat, I just have a little digital readout thermometer.  I will just make a small run of ducting into the new area.  I will also have one of those mantle style electric heaters (I have one in the larger area already) to help keep the chill out of the room, when needed.  

When it isn't being used as a bedroom, it will be a small sitting room, and we will have the little bit of exercise equipment in there.  Another reason I don't want to go with carpet.  Exercise equipment will be easily stored away when it is used as a bedroom. 

Have a finished basement but 3 yrs ago made a little area in the storage/furnace/water heater area to give the boys desks to do baseball card stuff and just hang out.   They love hanging out down there and doing trades. 

Decided to clear some more junk out and add a craft desk for my daughter.   Found a used and painted over desk for $100 on craigslist and just told her she can do whatever she wants to make it her own....I'm sure there will be doughnuts and rainbows and hearts covering it soon.  In the junk clear out,  found some old curtains that I hung a rod and made a divider wall to hide the remaining junk and furnace behind. 

https://flic.kr/p/2iMBnTq

https://flic.kr/p/2iMBnW6

https://flic.kr/p/2iMD2ZK

https://flic.kr/p/2iMD31m

Have a finished basement but 3 yrs ago made a little area in the storage/furnace/water heater area to give the boys desks to do baseball card stuff and just hang out.   They love hanging out down there and doing trades. 

Decided to clear some more junk out and add a craft desk for my daughter.   Found a used and painted over desk for $100 on craigslist and just told her she can do whatever she wants to make it her own....I'm sure there will be doughnuts and rainbows and hearts covering it soon.  In the junk clear out,  found some old curtains that I hung a rod and made a divider wall to hide the remaining junk and furnace behind. 

https://flic.kr/p/2iMBnTq

https://flic.kr/p/2iMBnW6

https://flic.kr/p/2iMD2ZK

https://flic.kr/p/2iMD31m
:thumbup:

More of an annual maintenance job: Power washed a stone retaining wall and outdoor kitchen and sprayed with Wet and Forget  to inhibit mildew and algae growth.  Its a concentrate about 1:5 with water. We have used it for several years in different homes. It is suppose to work without needing to power wash but the surface looks great after the power wash.

Just finished up the plumbing for the bath tub and got the cement board done too.  Now waiting on drywaller.  Post pics sooner or later.  Excited been a while.

Well.  My projects are now...redoing my fence and part of my deck.   And cleaning upbehind my fence.

Had a tree fall and wipe some stuff out

Is there a reason you didn't order yards instead of 65 bags?
The flower/plant beds in my place are split up in 2 areas both either at top of steps or tiered areas in front and back yards. Kind of hard to describe. But it's too hard to wheelbarrow to these areas.

I was hoping they would be delivered in a truck and then was going to pay the guys a bit extra to at least drop the bags in these areas with my help.

The truck shows up and it's a flatbed, there is one guy and he's like 50's and doesn't look like he's into any physical labor, and it's on a pallet that he lifts off with a forklift and places in my carport/driveway   :lol:

Walked 7.5 miles the first day 80% of that was carrying those SOB's one at a time to the areas.

Yup.  And I just think it's easier to haul those bags one or two at a time to different parts of the yard rather than shoveling it all in a wheelbarrow and moving it.
Yeah I think I put down like 40 bags this year, next year I am debating having it delivered in bulk and letting the kids do it

Yeah I think I put down like 40 bags this year, next year I am debating having it delivered in bulk and letting the kids do it
Like anything like this there’s a nice satisfaction in having completed it (although I’m still about 15 bags short). It does make the areas look much nicer.

But, even with my bandana face mask thing I think I inhaled a few good snorts of the stuff over the 2 days and it gets everywhere.

Was a perfect quarantine activity would be much harder pressed to do this under normal working situation.

You guys get bags delivered?

Anywho, it's way easier for me to wheel barrel the yard. Was just curious.

Mulching is probably my least favorite thing to do, followed closely by leaves

Yup.  And I just think it's easier to haul those bags one or two at a time to different parts of the yard rather than shoveling it all in a wheelbarrow and moving it.
Bucket trailer attached to the riding mower for the win. I borrow my neighbors for a day. 

Haven't done much other than yardwork...was out the other day and this guy showed up,.killed and ate a lizard, and let me get close for a couple pics. Pretty cool.

https://i.imgur.com/YYrzMKU.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/DpIyxjo.jpg

Obligatory backyard pic:

https://i.imgur.com/bFX1fh6.jpg

When we bought the place a year and a half ago, the backyard was 100% grass - no plants, trees, or mulch beds, nothing. Can't wait to have a deck and pergola built, get the patio screened in, and add some killer ambiance lighting:

Anyone have insight into reverse osmosis filter replacements? Brand matter? Any reason to spend $30 more on APEC than Puroflo? Or some other brand I should be looking at?

Haven't done much other than yardwork...was out the other day and this guy showed up,.killed and ate a lizard, and let me get close for a couple pics. Pretty cool.

https://i.imgur.com/YYrzMKU.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/DpIyxjo.jpg

Obligatory backyard pic:

https://i.imgur.com/bFX1fh6.jpg

When we bought the place a year and a half ago, the backyard was 100% grass - no plants, trees, or mulch beds, nothing. Can't wait to have a deck and pergola built, get the patio screened in, and add some killer ambiance lighting:
My yard is ####. I decided once my daughter is done high school I'll rededicate.  Too much torn up from hitting and catching.  Too many trees and too much shade.  Haven't put chemicals down in 2 years

When I bought this house seven years ago this month, it came equipped as per code with a smoke detector in every room, plus, a CO2 detector in the main living area. It just so happens that the room's smoke detector is right next to the CO2 one. Now, maybe two/three years back, I replaced the basic smoke detector with a nicer one with wifi built in, so that if it went off it would text my phone, turn on the lights, alert other devices, etc. It also happens to also detect CO2 on the side, so it's a bit redundant, but it came with that built in, so whatever.

Tonight, the CO2 detector started to chirp. I figured it was a low battery, but, when I pried it off an looked at it, the sequence of chirps was actually signalling "end of life", the CO2 detector bits inside are only good for seven years, and now I need to buy a new one. There's a little timer inside that waits seven years from the first time it powers on, then signals time to be replaced. Of course, this happens exactly at 6:01 PM when Home Depot just closed for quarantine restricted hours and every other store is closed too.

So, I get a chair from the other room, climb up, pull down the CO2 detector, yank the batteries to stop it from chirping, drag the chair back to the other room, and sit for a good six or seven minutes, when... of course... *chirp*!

The smoke detector batteries also happened to run out after however long they've been in there, maybe a year... within ten minutes of the seven-year end of life cycle on the detector right next to it.

So I had to get the chair back out, climb up again, and yank that one down and replace the batteries and put it back up. (At least, now, it is silent and the app reports all is well... for a brief moment I wondered if indeed I had a CO2 leak because both detectors started making noise at the same time...)

What are the odds? 

I guess if I show up here alive tomorrow, it's just a really, really unlikely coincidence and not a CO2 leak...
If you are still alive, its probably because CO2 is not really all that deadly, but you can never be too careful.   :P

OTOH.  Carbon Monoxide is very deadly. 

I definitely sympathize with your pain on the smoke detectors.  Mine are hard wired in, but have battery backup, and when the battery gets low (I think they bought a truckload of used batteries when they built my house) it starts chirping.  Miraculously, it always started chirping at 2AM.  Just loud enough in the other room to wake me up and not let me go back to sleep.  Multiply by 5 on the second floor of the house, and that second year was very frustrating.

Also, be on the lookout for di-hydrogen monoxide.  Its literally in everything.

Users who are viewing this thread