Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Home-owners...What are your current projects?


wilked

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Curbing went in yesterday. Grass in areas is now a bit scarce, but it turned out well overall. We need to do some cleanup and get the flower beds all set again. The saddest part is I lost about half a pallet of Pro Vista St. Augustine from the installation. Pics

Edited by Osaurus
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/7/2021 at 5:03 PM, unckeyherb said:

 

Sure thing.  Freaking exhausted but got a lot done this week.  Main demo of kitchen wall to create an island went well, just back breaking.  Had to install temp bracing as this is a load bearing wall (ceiling joists only).  Double 2x10 installed to carry these joists moving forward.  Install by myself was....challenging.

Pre-Demo Kitchen  Another view

Start of demo

Kitchen wall being demo'd with temp load bracingFrom the Living Room

Demo and beam install done  From the living room

 

Entry closet/bedroom closet wall demo was more extensive but no load bearing so in some ways easier.  

Bedroom-soon-to-be-living room pre demo  another view-planning a side project in that closet to build a wet bar in the recess.

Living Room-soon-to-be-dining room pre demo.

Demo Starting  Starting

Demo done and infill framing done

Soffit and recessed lighting installed  Another view  From the new Kitchen Island  From new Dining Room

 

Kids room was pretty straight forward, just removing a bunch of shelving and a couple of walls.

Pre demo

Post demo  This is the alcove that I will be building in the bunk beds

Also completed was the demo of the laundry closet but no photos of that.  Hit a bit of a snag in that the main sanitary stack is in the wall, but its close enough to the existing remaining wall that I'll just frame it in and leave it.  Not ####### around with that thing.  Adaptive design right there. 

Also installed a Wifi deadbolt on the front door so I can lock/unlock remotely and change the code from my phone.  We plan on renting this out for parts of the summer so this was a must.  

More to follow next week.  Having the floors refinished this week-while I can technically do this, its one of the few things I am willing to pay someone else to do.  

 

Six weeks left.....

Keep in mind that Im looking at pictures on my phone so this may be obvious but I'm curious to why you left/installed the Livingroom, soon-to-be dinning-room ceiling mini-bulkhead framing in. Why not remove that and just have a flush ceiling?

Nice work WTW. Love the changes. Saved a lot of room and opened things up. 

Edited by STEADYMOBBIN 22
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

Keep in mind that Im looking at pictures on my phone so this may be obvious but I'm curious to why you left/installed the Livingroom, soon-to-be dinning-room ceiling mini-bulkhead framing in. Why not remove that and just have a flush ceiling?

Nice work WTW. Love the changes. Saved a lot of room and opened things up. 

Good question an thanks.  The reasoning is two fold-firstly, in my experience its very difficult to get the two associated ceilings to actually align-I'd end up feathering a lot of spackle, which is fine but time consuming.  The more important reason is that the HVAC unit, ductwork and supports are right above that area and I wouldn't have the clearance necessary nor access to the joists for the downlights.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has anyone done a gravel fire pit area like thisthis, or this

Finally took down my kids' decrepit old swingset and now the area (formerly playground mulched) is empty and getting overgrown with weeds.  Got a nice Breeo from the fam last Father's Day and just bought some new Adirondack chairs on a deal and a coupon from Costco and thinking about turning the old swingset area into a new firepit area.

Seems simple enough to get some crushed stone and dump it in there with maybe some edging or weed block material underneath.  Not sure what type is best to get and if / how I should go about tamping / compacting it down.  A little worried what I'd do with a ton of crushed stone if we changed our minds in a few years.

What do you guys think?  Pros / Cons?  Anyone do a firepit area and if so, do you actually use it much?

TIA!

Edited by Lehigh98
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Lehigh98 said:

Has anyone done a gravel fire pit area like thisthis, or this

Finally took down my kids' decrepit old swingset and now the area (formerly playground mulched) is empty and getting overgrown with weeds.  Got a nice Breeo from the fam last Father's Day and just bought some new Adirondack chairs on a deal and a coupon from Costco and thinking about turning the old swingset area into a new firepit area.

Seems simple enough to get some crushed stone and dump it in there with maybe some edging or weed block material underneath.  Not sure what type is best to get and if / how I should go about tamping / compacting it down.  A little worried what I'd do with a ton of crushed stone if we changed our minds in a few years.

What do you guys think?  Pros / Cons?  Anyone do a firepit area and if so, do you actually use it much?

TIA!

Yea I just built one adjacent to our pool.  It’s pretty straight forward.  Lay down a good weed barrier first and install steel edging to keep everything in place.  We use it all the time.  It’s great after swimming to get a fire going and warm up.  
 

This is from last year when I installed.  

 

here’s what it looks like now..

Edited by unckeyherb
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

Nice pool. I think thats the shape what Im leaning to. I like the classic, sleek look of a rectangular pool. 

Thanks a lot.  Yeah we were pretty set on rectangular and set on not having a ton of concrete surrounding the pool.  It's out in a field of grass and wanted to keep it minimalistic as possible.  Obviously went with large patio on the shallow end.  

If you are in the market for pools I'd highly recommend fiberglass-especially if you're looking at rectangle and not some amorphous shape (although you can get those too).  The installers showed up to my house at 7am and by 3pm they were topping off the water and grading out the yard.  Gone by 3:30

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, unckeyherb said:

Thanks a lot.  Yeah we were pretty set on rectangular and set on not having a ton of concrete surrounding the pool.  It's out in a field of grass and wanted to keep it minimalistic as possible.  Obviously went with large patio on the shallow end.  

If you are in the market for pools I'd highly recommend fiberglass-especially if you're looking at rectangle and not some amorphous shape (although you can get those too).  The installers showed up to my house at 7am and by 3pm they were topping off the water and grading out the yard.  Gone by 3:30

Since seeing your pool ive been watching pro and con videos all morning.  I thought I wanted concrete with all the blue tile but apparently you have to resurface a concrete pool every 15-20 years at a cost of $10k-$20k??? Plus more chemicals, plus more daily upkeep = F that noise. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

Since seeing your pool ive been watching pro and con videos all morning.  I thought I wanted concrete with all the blue tile but apparently you have to resurface a concrete pool every 15-20 years at a cost of $10k-$20k??? Plus more chemicals, plus more daily upkeep = F that noise. 

 

Concrete is anywhere from 50-100% more expensive install initially.  Like you said it needs to be resurfaced every 10 years and additional chems.  Liner pools similarly have to have the liner replaced after 7-10 years.  

#### that.  Fiberglass is cheap, has a lot of options (mine has a 7'-0" 16" deep tanning ledge, both sides have indented foot ledges for kids to walk along the edge and two built in seats at the deep end as well as 3 color changing lights).  It doesn't grow algae, it will never need to be resurfaced, it actually holds the heat of the water better than concrete or liner and the install took a day.  Rough cost differential for reference:  We installed last year-14'x32', saltwater with heat pump heater and a couple of deck jets.  All in with the additional concrete was about $45k.  Pricing we got from some other places to do it in concrete ranged from $75k-over $100k

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Master bath remodel. Demo completed last week because we were told the shower tile, flooring and deco would be available next week. This morning, was advised the deco and flooring is on a container in Virginia port and should be available in 6 weeks. 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/10/2021 at 1:41 PM, Lehigh98 said:

Has anyone done a gravel fire pit area like thisthis, or this

Finally took down my kids' decrepit old swingset and now the area (formerly playground mulched) is empty and getting overgrown with weeds.  Got a nice Breeo from the fam last Father's Day and just bought some new Adirondack chairs on a deal and a coupon from Costco and thinking about turning the old swingset area into a new firepit area.

Seems simple enough to get some crushed stone and dump it in there with maybe some edging or weed block material underneath.  Not sure what type is best to get and if / how I should go about tamping / compacting it down.  A little worried what I'd do with a ton of crushed stone if we changed our minds in a few years.

What do you guys think?  Pros / Cons?  Anyone do a firepit area and if so, do you actually use it much?

TIA!

Yes we did this at our old house. Was great. Use decomposed granite.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Current situation

1/2 of my deck was demo'ed for the pool instal last year. the other 1/2 was 16 years old and needed repair. So we ripped up the boards and figured while we were at it, add a pavilion structure. I'm on a 4th of July deadline for a party, so I need to kick it into high gear. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Phil Elliott said:

Master bath remodel. Demo completed last week because we were told the shower tile, flooring and deco would be available next week. This morning, was advised the deco and flooring is on a container in Virginia port and should be available in 6 weeks. 

:sadbanana:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

so, looks like it’s time for me to put my hvac system down.  i’m at 12 years old and my upstairs crapped out.  lost about 1/2 the refrigerant, so it’s likely an evaporator coil, which isn’t worth replacing given age.  we are moving in the next 2-4 years, so i don’t think the system will make it and buyers won’t be happy with an ancient system.  i am shooting the lock off my wallet and doing 2 compressors, furnaces and coils, basically whole systems.  doing a 2 stage upstairs and putting in lennox.  anyone do this job?  looking for prices to make me feel better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just replaced my rain sensor, but I’m not sure if some of the wiring is shot or not. I might need to run new wiring, but I’ll play with it some before I make my decision. 

Edited by Osaurus
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

Just replaced my rain sensor, but I’m not sure if some of the wiring is shot or not. I might need to run new wiring, but I’ll play with it done before I make my decision. 

You're fancy, I just usually look out of my window

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Captain Cranks said:

We just bought a new house and before I put in new flooring, I'm moving a wall that divides the two closets in the master suite.

Does anyone know what this wire is?  Home alarm wiring?  Can I cut, splice, and reroute easily?  

Wall

Wire

 

 

Doesn't look like a wire. Looks like small diameter tubing.  Is there an ice maker or fridge near?

You cut it, I bet it pours water. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, The Z Machine said:

Doesn't look like a wire. Looks like small diameter tubing.  Is there an ice maker or fridge near?

You cut it, I bet it pours water. 

Indeed.  Someone opined that it was PEX tubing.  It's ultra small; probably only an 1/8 inch.  There's a bidet in the master bath which it may have been routed for.  Lowes doesn't carry anything under 1/4 PEX materials, but the worker explained how to disconnect the connector.  When I got back I grabbed a bucket and decided to give it a shot.  Pulled the line out of the connector and nothing.  Dry as the desert.  Seems like the line was run but never connected to anything.  I crimped the line by taping it back on itself and was able to take out the wall framing.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Captain Cranks said:

Indeed.  Someone opined that it was PEX tubing.  It's ultra small; probably only an 1/8 inch.  There's a bidet in the master bath which it may have been routed for.  Lowes doesn't carry anything under 1/4 PEX materials, but the worker explained how to disconnect the connector.  When I got back I grabbed a bucket and decided to give it a shot.  Pulled the line out of the connector and nothing.  Dry as the desert.  Seems like the line was run but never connected to anything.  I crimped the line by taping it back on itself and was able to take out the wall framing.  

It’s not Pex.  Looks like a tap off water line for a refrigerator ice maker.  If you cut it and no water maybe it was never tapped.  I bet if you trace it it leads to a screw in connection to a main 1/2” pipe

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ll get some photos up later…. Been busy. Took an office adjacent to our bedroom down to the studs, turning it into a master bath. 
 

-all new plumbing

-new pocket door in load bearing wall

-double vanity / toilet / shower / freestanding tub

-underfloor heat

 

just finished rough plumbing and electric. Will spray foam exterior walls tomorrow. 
 

I am designer, GC, and doing a little of everything (hired a plumber, father in law helped me w electric, will hire spray foam and a roofer for vent caps). 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, unckeyherb said:

It’s not Pex.  Looks like a tap off water line for a refrigerator ice maker.  If you cut it and no water maybe it was never tapped.  I bet if you trace it it leads to a screw in connection to a main 1/2” pipe

Hmmm.  The theater room is just above that closet with a small sink and dorm room refrigerator.  Wonder if the thought was to have a full blown ice maker up there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Chemical X said:

so, looks like it’s time for me to put my hvac system down.  i’m at 12 years old and my upstairs crapped out.  lost about 1/2 the refrigerant, so it’s likely an evaporator coil, which isn’t worth replacing given age.  we are moving in the next 2-4 years, so i don’t think the system will make it and buyers won’t be happy with an ancient system.  i am shooting the lock off my wallet and doing 2 compressors, furnaces and coils, basically whole systems.  doing a 2 stage upstairs and putting in lennox.  anyone do this job?  looking for prices to make me feel better.

Do a search on the board as there is a user ( @ChiefD?) that is in the a/c business and glad to share his knowledge 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Chemical X said:

so, looks like it’s time for me to put my hvac system down.  i’m at 12 years old and my upstairs crapped out.  lost about 1/2 the refrigerant, so it’s likely an evaporator coil, which isn’t worth replacing given age.  we are moving in the next 2-4 years, so i don’t think the system will make it and buyers won’t be happy with an ancient system.  i am shooting the lock off my wallet and doing 2 compressors, furnaces and coils, basically whole systems.  doing a 2 stage upstairs and putting in lennox.  anyone do this job?  looking for prices to make me feel better.

 

29 minutes ago, berndog said:

Do a search on the board as there is a user ( @ChiefD?) that is in the a/c business and glad to share his knowledge 

Sure thing - would be glad to help. 

 

But for two full systems, you are looking at between 15-20k depending on what is put in. But for someone moving in 2-4 years, I probably wouldn’t go too nuts. You will never get that extra dough back and new homeowners will just be happy they have newer stuff.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/12/2021 at 8:34 PM, Captain Cranks said:

We just bought a new house and before I put in new flooring, I'm moving a wall that divides the two closets in the master suite.

Does anyone know what this wire is?  Home alarm wiring?  Can I cut, splice, and reroute easily?  

Wall

Wire

 

 

Not related to the hose, but that is a pretty substantial holddown at the left end of that wall.  I typically only call those out when it is a 3-4 story building and at the ends of shear walls.   In residential there are smaller versions and most houses just use the exterior walls as the shear wall. Where are you located?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, UOFI_316 said:

Not related to the hose, but that is a pretty substantial holddown at the left end of that wall.  I typically only call those out when it is a 3-4 story building and at the ends of shear walls.   In residential there are smaller versions and most houses just use the exterior walls as the shear wall. Where are you located?

I'm in Tampa so probably due to hurricanes.  Yeah, I found that corner is an exterior wall of the house.  I left the tie and will run a new vertical to box it up again.

No wall

Btw, to give you all a sense of just how tiny this tube was... Tube

 

Edited by Captain Cranks
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Infrastructure Week!

So we had the floors refinished over the last week-like I said its one of the few jobs I'm willing to pay someone else to do.  

Pretty happy with how they turned out-at least 60% lighter than previously which is what we wanted.  

Dining Room

Living Room

Guest Bedroom

Master Bedroom

I was only able to come down Saturday Morning and work until mid day Sunday so I didn't undertake any big projects, decided instead to do al the new electric for the kids hobbit hole (it had no electric other than a light that was switched from another room.)  Had to relocate that switch, add an outlet for the room and tap off to wire in the two switched lights at each bunk bed.  Definitely a challenging wiring job.  

Also ran recessed power outlet and HDMI Connections up to the TV in living room.

Finished demo of the kitchen cabs where I plan to install open shelving.  Completed the soffit framing over the islandWired new dimmer switch for the island downlights, added an outlet/USB and wired the dimmer switch for two pendants over the dining table-still need complete that part.  Downlights installed as well.

Heading back down on Thursday for a couple of weeks and hope to really make some headway into July.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, ChiefD said:

 

Sure thing - would be glad to help. 

 

But for two full systems, you are looking at between 15-20k depending on what is put in. But for someone moving in 2-4 years, I probably wouldn’t go too nuts. You will never get that extra dough back and new homeowners will just be happy they have newer stuff.

thx-right in the middle and that’s because i am doing a 2 stage upstairs.  i’m here as long as the dog is alive and he’s not talking, so i’m hopeful the units will save me money off my monthly electric to kind of offset.  i really don’t have a choice it seems.  if i did a single stage upstairs, i could’ve saved 3k i believe.  i get a pair of $350- rebate cards from lennox and $150- rebate from my electric provider.  also, a minuscule $500- reduction for doing both at the same time.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Captain Cranks said:

I'm in Tampa so probably due to hurricanes.  Yeah, I found that corner is an exterior wall of the house.  I left the tie and will run a new vertical to box it up again.

No wall

Btw, to give you all a sense of just how tiny this tube was... Tube

 

That seems like it's an air vent just to release pressure instead of actually providing any water flow. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/10/2021 at 4:41 PM, Lehigh98 said:

Has anyone done a gravel fire pit area like thisthis, or this

Finally took down my kids' decrepit old swingset and now the area (formerly playground mulched) is empty and getting overgrown with weeds.  Got a nice Breeo from the fam last Father's Day and just bought some new Adirondack chairs on a deal and a coupon from Costco and thinking about turning the old swingset area into a new firepit area.

Seems simple enough to get some crushed stone and dump it in there with maybe some edging or weed block material underneath.  Not sure what type is best to get and if / how I should go about tamping / compacting it down.  A little worried what I'd do with a ton of crushed stone if we changed our minds in a few years.

What do you guys think?  Pros / Cons?  Anyone do a firepit area and if so, do you actually use it much?

TIA!

A little late with the reply, but I did literally the exact thing you're talking about - took down an old swing set that was mulched, and turned it into a fire pit.  A few things that haven't been noted here -

Highly recommend putting down PLASTIC, not just weed barrier.  I put down thick plastic sheeting.  Slice it up in spots to allow water to drain, but it keeps the weeds out.  We're going on 8 years, and I have a few stray weeds, but since it's only gravel on top of the plastic, they can't get a deep foothold and come out really easily.

We used river rock, slightly smaller size - it's bigger and prettier than pea gravel.  I avoided gravel/millings and things with edges because I wanted to be able to walk on it barefoot and not be in horrible pain.  

For the actual pit, consider buying a bowl that fits on top of a paver/stone surround.  The raised bowl allows for better airflow and you won't get as much smoke.  If you burn right on the ground in the pit, you get a lot of smoldering.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So broskis

 

My new bathroom is wide open right now.  I can add anything, but in a few weeks that option ends.

 

Thinking on music in the bathroom.  What I have now is a shower and separate freestanding bathtub.  

 

My wife likes to listen to NPR radio.  She likes the 'easiness' of just turning our radio on.  Alternatively she likes saying "Alexa, play NPR radio station".  

 

I like tunes.  Ideally again I could just tell Alexa to "Play Shabba Ranks", but I don't mind doing it with my phone (though synching with bluetooth is a bit of a pain, takes an extra 60-90 seconds).  

 

Open for ideas.  Don't want something super complicated, and want it replaceable as tech improves (ie no CD player integrated into the wall).  

Current bathroom has a bluetooth capable radio hanging from a hook in the bathroom.

Thanks

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, wilked said:

So broskis

 

My new bathroom is wide open right now.  I can add anything, but in a few weeks that option ends.

 

Thinking on music in the bathroom.  What I have now is a shower and separate freestanding bathtub.  

 

My wife likes to listen to NPR radio.  She likes the 'easiness' of just turning our radio on.  Alternatively she likes saying "Alexa, play NPR radio station".  

 

I like tunes.  Ideally again I could just tell Alexa to "Play Shabba Ranks", but I don't mind doing it with my phone (though synching with bluetooth is a bit of a pain, takes an extra 60-90 seconds).  

 

Open for ideas.  Don't want something super complicated, and want it replaceable as tech improves (ie no CD player integrated into the wall).  

Current bathroom has a bluetooth capable radio hanging from a hook in the bathroom.

Thanks

 

Our setup:

Sonos speaker was already installed in the ceiling when we moved in. All we did was add an Amazon Echo Dot in the bathroom. Can play anything with voice control and plays over the Sonos speakers. 

You should be able to install any Alexa compatible speaker (Or Google or whatever smart setup you use) and then just get an Echo or Google or whatever and set it in the bathroom for voice control.

Edited by gianmarco
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got some work done this weekend.  

Focused on the new bedroom mostly.  framed in the rest of the new wall and hung a new door for the girls room.  Installed new flooring as well.  Next up is the bunk bed install.  
 

also demolished the existing kitchenette to make way for the relocated laundry room.  New flooring, vent and washer/dryer hookups next up.

 

 

Edited by unckeyherb
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, unckeyherb said:

Got some work done this weekend.  

Focused on the new bedroom mostly.  framed in the rest of the new wall and hung a new door for the girls room.  Installed new flooring as well.  Next up is the bunk bed install.  
 

also demolished the existing kitchenette to make way for the relocated laundry room.  New flooring, vent and washer/dryer hookups next up.

 

 

Damn man, you are super efficient.  #jealous

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Garage / Pool House / Man Cave complete.

I have a Sonos question if anyone knows . . .

Have a Sonos system currently in my garage which is wired to 4 speakers scattered throughout my backyard. I believe its a Sonos ONE (Amp & Port).

Can I run the sound from my Samsung Smart TV through my Sonos system? Do I need a Sound bar or can I run an RCA cable from TV to Sonos port?

Thx

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, unckeyherb said:

Got some work done this weekend.  

Focused on the new bedroom mostly.  framed in the rest of the new wall and hung a new door for the girls room.  Installed new flooring as well.  Next up is the bunk bed install.  
 

also demolished the existing kitchenette to make way for the relocated laundry room.  New flooring, vent and washer/dryer hookups next up.

 

 

Are you getting any sleep?  You’re knocking it out!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, berndog said:

Are you getting any sleep?  You’re knocking it out!

Lol, thanks.  After days like the ones I've been doing, I sleep like a damn rock.  It's been back breaking but things are really starting to come together and look like what we'd planned.  Its rewarding so far.  I'm going to be really moving into a lot of the finishes soon so I am feeling good about getting it all done in time.  The big question marks always come when you are opening up walls to see what sins lie beneath and so far, with the exception of the sanitary stack I didn't foresee, I've been able to adapt pretty well to what the existing structure has thrown at me.  Still a lot to do tho.  More photos to come soon...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/15/2021 at 4:04 PM, wilked said:

So broskis

 

My new bathroom is wide open right now.  I can add anything, but in a few weeks that option ends.

 

Thinking on music in the bathroom.  What I have now is a shower and separate freestanding bathtub.  

 

My wife likes to listen to NPR radio.  She likes the 'easiness' of just turning our radio on.  Alternatively she likes saying "Alexa, play NPR radio station".  

 

I like tunes.  Ideally again I could just tell Alexa to "Play Shabba Ranks", but I don't mind doing it with my phone (though synching with bluetooth is a bit of a pain, takes an extra 60-90 seconds).  

 

Open for ideas.  Don't want something super complicated, and want it replaceable as tech improves (ie no CD player integrated into the wall).  

Current bathroom has a bluetooth capable radio hanging from a hook in the bathroom.

Thanks

 

No joke I worked on a project for a company that sells bluetooth enabled, Alexa enabled bath fans. They worked pretty well. Players in the space are Panasonic, Homewerks, and Broan-Nutone.

Edited by Instinctive
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Instinctive said:

No joke I worked on a project for a company that sells bluetooth enabled, Alexa enabled bath fans. They worked pretty well. Players in the space are Panasonic, Homewerks, and Broan-Nutone.

Thx GB. 
 

I have a new fan installed but wouldn’t be a big deal to replace it; I’ll take a look 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My bathroom progress photos.  Turning an office into a Master Bath...

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1OhxasIpcnspPisOo89BsCGPwJIWMLGa8?usp=sharing

 

Next step is to cut a pocket door into the load bearing wall separating the bedroom and the bathroom as well as get the roof penetrations / vent stacks complete.  Hopefully tomorrow on both of those.  Then it's time to start boarding everything up, plaster it, and lots of tile work

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, wilked said:

My bathroom progress photos.  Turning an office into a Master Bath...

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1OhxasIpcnspPisOo89BsCGPwJIWMLGa8?usp=sharing

 

Next step is to cut a pocket door into the load bearing wall separating the bedroom and the bathroom as well as get the roof penetrations / vent stacks complete.  Hopefully tomorrow on both of those.  Then it's time to start boarding everything up, plaster it, and lots of tile work

Why did you switch to black pipe once you came through the ceiling over that door?  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

Why did you switch to black pipe once you came through the ceiling over that door?  

Cast iron

 

water draining through cast iron is much quieter than through pvc. That area is in my foyer (close to living room) and I didn’t want to make a general announcement to the house every time someone flushed a toilet. 
 

alternatively I could have insulated the soffit (to be built around it) but I want to keep that soffit as narrow as possible for aesthetics

 

it hoes back to pvc once it disappears into the closet 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just bought a hammock chair here in Mexico.  I'm planning on mounting it to the ceiling in my den.  Ceiling joists hold up the flat roof and I think are 2x8s, maybe 2x10s.  It's a single mount point to hold up the chair.  It should support 250-300 lbs.

Ideas on how to mount:

  1. Forged Eye Screw, 3/8" diameter with 4" thread into center of joist (on end).  Go through drywall ceiling 
  2. Dedicated "Swing Hanger".  I think I would mount it the same way, but instead with 2x lag screws or structural wood screws
  3. Cut hole in drywall to expose section of ceiling joist.  Find some sort of bracket that allows bolting through the 2x thickness.  Secure with bolt and nut.

Any other suggestions?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, wilked said:

My bathroom progress photos.  Turning an office into a Master Bath...

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1OhxasIpcnspPisOo89BsCGPwJIWMLGa8?usp=sharing

 

Next step is to cut a pocket door into the load bearing wall separating the bedroom and the bathroom as well as get the roof penetrations / vent stacks complete.  Hopefully tomorrow on both of those.  Then it's time to start boarding everything up, plaster it, and lots of tile work

Very cool.  What is the plan for the radiator?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

I just bought a hammock chair here in Mexico.  I'm planning on mounting it to the ceiling in my den.  Ceiling joists hold up the flat roof and I think are 2x8s, maybe 2x10s.  It's a single mount point to hold up the chair.  It should support 250-300 lbs.

Ideas on how to mount:

  1. Forged Eye Screw, 3/8" diameter with 4" thread into center of joist (on end).  Go through drywall ceiling 
  2. Dedicated "Swing Hanger".  I think I would mount it the same way, but instead with 2x lag screws or structural wood screws
  3. Cut hole in drywall to expose section of ceiling joist.  Find some sort of bracket that allows bolting through the 2x thickness.  Secure with bolt and nut.

Any other suggestions?

option 1 - done

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...