Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Home-owners...What are your current projects?

wilked

8 hours ago, Senor Schmutzig said:

We are in the process of putting down some aritificial turf in our side yard where we can't get any grass to grow, landscaping along the fence and eventually, some landscape lighting. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of doing it in the order that I want so the EZGrass guys are coming on Monday for the install. 

At some point, I am going to be installing the landscape lighting and will be connecting to an outlet on the exterior of the house. Since there will be EZGrass between the outlet and the fence/landscaping, I want to install some sort of conduit/PVC underground so at some point when I need to access the electrical, I won't be having to deal with the EZGrass installation and can just run the electrical line underneath it.

Am I really simplifying things here thinking I can just dig a trench (It's only going to be 6 to 8 feet) underneath the electrical outlet running directly out to the fence, put in a piece of PVC with a 90 degree turn upwards at the outlet and then bury it so whenever I need the electrical at the landscaping/fence, I can just access the PVC and run the wires through it to the outlet? That's a long run-on sentence but hopefully you get what I'm asking....

Sounds like a good idea to me.

When you lay the conduit, have your cable/wire already in there. It's much easier than trying to fish it through later (especially with those 90s).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Senor Schmutzig said:

We are in the process of putting down some aritificial turf in our side yard where we can't get any grass to grow, landscaping along the fence and eventually, some landscape lighting. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of doing it in the order that I want so the EZGrass guys are coming on Monday for the install. 

At some point, I am going to be installing the landscape lighting and will be connecting to an outlet on the exterior of the house. Since there will be EZGrass between the outlet and the fence/landscaping, I want to install some sort of conduit/PVC underground so at some point when I need to access the electrical, I won't be having to deal with the EZGrass installation and can just run the electrical line underneath it.

Am I really simplifying things here thinking I can just dig a trench (It's only going to be 6 to 8 feet) underneath the electrical outlet running directly out to the fence, put in a piece of PVC with a 90 degree turn upwards at the outlet and then bury it so whenever I need the electrical at the landscaping/fence, I can just access the PVC and run the wires through it to the outlet? That's a long run-on sentence but hopefully you get what I'm asking....

Sounds fine to me, but maybe put a few caps, or unglued 90's above ground so that it doesn't fill with rain.

• Like 3

Vinyl siding question-

Had this installed a couple years ago and have an issue with the vinyl corner posts. These have a piece of foam that keeps sliding down. What's the best way to stop this? 

1 hour ago, Punxsutawney Phil said:

Sounds fine to me, but maybe put a few caps, or unglued 90's above ground so that it doesn't fill with rain.

Couple things 

a 6-8’ trench is not only likely much more work than you are making it out to be, it’s also way overkill. Look up your code, but I expect you only need to go 18-24” deep. 

If you’re going to go through the effort of burying a wire, at least hardwire it. Outdoor connections should really be reserved for temporary things. It’s not much work, but if inexperienced hire an electrician. If you’ve got the hole dug /conduit run it won’t be much $$. Add a pull cord (rope) to allow additional wire pulls as needed. 
Use this wire - THHN/THWN. Make sure it is rated for wet conditions (that is the W in THWN). Make the run long enough that you can get into your house (through wall) and to a JB

13 minutes ago, brun said:

Vinyl siding question-

Had this installed a couple years ago and have an issue with the vinyl corner posts. These have a piece of foam that keeps sliding down. What's the best way to stop this? 

Photo? 

4 minutes ago, wilked said:

Couple things 

a 6-8’ trench is not only likely much more work than you are making it out to be, it’s also way overkill. Look up your code, but I expect you only need to go 18-24” deep. 

If you’re going to go through the effort of burying a wire, at least hardwire it. Outdoor connections should really be reserved for temporary things. It’s not much work, but if inexperienced hire an electrician. If you’ve got the hole dug /conduit run it won’t be much $$. Add a pull cord (rope) to allow additional wire pulls as needed. 
Use this wire - THHN/THWN. Make sure it is rated for wet conditions (that is the W in THWN). Make the run long enough that you can get into your house (through wall) and to a JB

I’m assuming he means 6-8’ in length, not 6-8’ down…

You should really call the guys to come out and mark utilities before you trench unless you’re positive there’s nothing there.

• Like 2

On 9/15/2021 at 8:32 AM, wilked said:

I noted somewhere in here that I am building a new bath.  Part of that bath was a 40x40 corner shower (not neo angle).

I built the shower using the Schluter system, including a Schluter pan (like this Link ).  The pan is premade and slopes to the drain.

I added curbing around it, waterproofed it all, and also did a drain test (ie filled it up 4", let it sit overnight, level held, then drained.  It drained clean, nice and fast, no water left.

Fast forward, I have since hired out a finish carpenter who tiled it.  I filled with water after he was done, drained, and one corner has standing water (not free draining), maybe 1/8-1/4" of water, just the one corner.  Not happy.  You can kick the water over with your foot but I would rather not...

Told my guy, he said he'll look at it, said we'll fix it.  Thing is, only 2 12" mesh tiles left, not enough.  And it's stocked out everywhere til at least Dec per the mfg.  

Thoughts?  Wife says we can live with it, no big deal.  I am not as excited.  Think we will have to live with it til then or rip the whole lot of the tile out which I am also not excited about.  

Thoughts?  Small deal or big deal?  Live with it or focus on getting it fixed once tile is in?

edit to add - we will have frameless glass around it and will expect everyone to squeegee glass once finished, so wife says just squeegee the corner while you're at it

Update?

I am having a shower redone right now along with some additional work in the bathroom.  Not doing it myself.  I could have done some, but I wasn't going to do the tile work myself and really wanted a good waterproof shower as the old one leaked 10 years after install (not my work).  Guys are using the Wedi system for waterproofing, which is similar to Schluter.

I'll find a way to post pics... maybe.

Wedi seems like a quality product. 

@wilked, I would be pissed if I had to rip out the tile, especially because my wife picked out tile that was like $40/sq ft.

3 hours ago, wilked said:

6-8’ trench is not only likely much more work than you are making it out to be, it’s also way overkill. Look up your code, but I expect you only need to go 18-24” deep. 

I think he meant the run is only 6-8' long. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, The Z Machine said:

Update?

I am having a shower redone right now along with some additional work in the bathroom.  Not doing it myself.  I could have done some, but I wasn't going to do the tile work myself and really wanted a good waterproof shower as the old one leaked 10 years after install (not my work).  Guys are using the Wedi system for waterproofing, which is similar to Schluter.

I'll find a way to post pics... maybe.

Wedi seems like a quality product. 

@wilked, I would be pissed if I had to rip out the tile, especially because my wife picked out tile that was like $40/sq ft.

Update is as simple as….gonna have to live w the low spot. In the end it’s the one thing that’s not right in the bathroom. Basically after a shower you need to move the water over w your foot oR use the squeegee. It kinda sucks,  but it’s also not the end of the world. And I don’t really have a good alternative at this point. 

my advice - just make it clear to the tiler that the shower must be free draining, and you will check after.  He will mud it appropriately to get a good slope. 

12 minutes ago, wilked said:

Update is as simple as….gonna have to live w the low spot. In the end it’s the one thing that’s not right in the bathroom. Basically after a shower you need to move the water over w your foot oR use the squeegee. It kinda sucks,  but it’s also not the end of the world. And I don’t really have a good alternative at this point. 

my advice - just make it clear to the tiler that the shower must be free draining, and you will check after.  He will mud it appropriately to get a good slope. 

The Wedi system has a pre-sloped pan so unless they do the thinset wrong, there won't be a low spot. 

How far from the drain is that spot?

4 hours ago, The Z Machine said:

The Wedi system has a pre-sloped pan so unless they do the thinset wrong, there won't be a low spot. 

How far from the drain is that spot?

I had a pre sloped pan as well.  Still not sure what went wrong….

it’s a 40” square drain pan (shower). Basically one corner is a low spot. 

Getting ready to rehab my mothers 87-YO house with an eye of possibly selling in 5 years.  Very prime location close to Lake Mich and beach rights.  Hoping to mortgage for $100k, after paying everything off, $75K going into the house.  

Maybe I need a reality show.

4 hours ago, wilked said:

I had a pre sloped pan as well.  Still not sure what went wrong….

it’s a 40” square drain pan (shower). Basically one corner is a low spot. 

It's odd that one corner would be low.  Maybe the pan got distorted when it was placed on the subfloor? I know you have an old home where the joists are not likely level. When you did the flood test on the pan only, did it have this low spot?

11 minutes ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

I would guess that he stepped on the corner with all his weight during the install. 

Interesting.  It's possible the tile guy crushed some of the foam of the pan after the flood test.

Did you see the pan put in? You said it was Schluter. Do you know the pan type and all materials used from subfloor up?

On 10/15/2021 at 3:13 PM, Senor Schmutzig said:

A few ideas:

Use bigger conduit than you think you will need.  A pull rope as mentioned above as well.

Try to use sweep el's instead of 90's to make pulling easier.

I don't know what kind of surface prep the ezgrass guys are going to do but you want to make sure the fill on your trench gets tamped down really well so you don't wind up with a dip in the grass.

10 hours ago, The Z Machine said:

Interesting.  It's possible the tile guy crushed some of the foam of the pan after the flood test.

Did you see the pan put in? You said it was Schluter. Do you know the pan type and all materials used from subfloor up?

I put the pan in myself and built the shower. One trick is that it started as a 48” shower pan (Schluter doesn’t sell 40”). I trimmed 4” off each side equally to preserve slope. 

after the pan you put the curbs on, then use the kerdi band to waterproof the seams. And kerdi corners in the corners. In the end you end up with extra thinset / kerdi raising the face of it. Maybe it got thrown off. 

I did the drain test the night before going to Hawaii. Don’t remember if it drained clean (my main thing was no leaks, wasn’t necessarily focused on drainability). That said I think I’d have noticed if it didn’t free drain, but can’t be sure. 

I don’t think it’s subfloor. Replaced it all, it was level 

So due to an "incident", I had a railing to repair.  Shots with the broken posts and boards disassembled (with the replacement posts installed).  Pic 1, Pic 2.    Healed railing - pic 1, pic 2.  

Not shown is the paint removed from the vehicle.  That also turned out ok.

Edited by Sand

Anyone know a lot about home theater set ups?

I'm trying to plan one at this time.  I don't know a whole lot about it.  The wife wants to get a couch and a new entertainment center first.  So I'll be researching/planning for a bit. 

I'm going to use it for a bit of everything.  I play Xbox Series X and PS5.  My TV only has 1 HDMI 2.1 connection.  I've considered getting an HDMI 2.1 AV receiver so I don't have to keep changing out the HDMI cord from one system to the other.  I figure I need a receiver for speakers anyway.  The problem being they're obviously very expensive at this point.  Are there any cheaper options on the horizon?

I've read a lot about Dolby Atmos surround sound--I'm hoping to do a system for that.  I'm thinking 3 front speakers, 2 side speakers and 2 ceiling/height speakers along with 1-2 subwoofers.  

Perhaps a silly question, but how does the wiring work for the ceiling speakers and the side speakers in regards to how you connect them to the receiver?  For the ceiling I assume you run the wire through the ceiling and down the wall?  For the sides--do you run the cords across the room?  Are there quality/reliable wireless options?  

Any recommendations on Speakers/Subwoofers/Receivers?

Thanks.  It's a ton to learn/figure out.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2021 at 11:44 PM, jm192 said:

Anyone know a lot about home theater set ups?

I'm trying to plan one at this time.  I don't know a whole lot about it.  The wife wants to get a couch and a new entertainment center first.  So I'll be researching/planning for a bit. 

I'm going to use it for a bit of everything.  I play Xbox Series X and PS5.  My TV only has 1 HDMI 2.1 connection.  I've considered getting an HDMI 2.1 AV receiver so I don't have to keep changing out the HDMI cord from one system to the other.  I figure I need a receiver for speakers anyway.  The problem being they're obviously very expensive at this point.  Are there any cheaper options on the horizon?

I've read a lot about Dolby Atmos surround sound--I'm hoping to do a system for that.  I'm thinking 3 front speakers, 2 side speakers and 2 ceiling/height speakers along with 1-2 subwoofers.  

Perhaps a silly question, but how does the wiring work for the ceiling speakers and the side speakers in regards to how you connect them to the receiver?  For the ceiling I assume you run the wire through the ceiling and down the wall?  For the sides--do you run the cords across the room?  Are there quality/reliable wireless options?  

Any recommendations on Speakers/Subwoofers/Receivers?

Thanks.  It's a ton to learn/figure out.

There is an audiophile thread which does also touch on home theater speakers/setup as well. You have the right idea though - 7.1 or 5.1.2 is what those setups are usually called (sometimes people like to say 7.1 is front, center, side, rear + sub and 5.1.2 is front, center, rear, + sub + atmos/height). There is also a 9 speaker setup 5.1.4 where there are front/rear Atmos. Also, you'll also see Atmos speakers built into the front left/right in some setups, firing up into the ceiling. Pros and cons - obviously easier to install/position the up-firing ones and the speaker wire can run right along your other ones. But sound probably isn't as good as discrete speakers placed up high or in the ceiling.

Your budget is likely going to determine speaker recommendations - as you may expect, the prices start at $500 and just go up from there. Are you considering building your own speakers or sub? And you might just want to go find local shops to listen to the speakers before you buy - everyone is going to have different preferences when it comes to speakers.

A basic/budget receiver that will do Atmos is probably $350 at the lowest to $500, but there are a number in this range that support HDMI 2.1 for your gaming consoles. Obviously you can go quite a bit higher. I'd do 2 things - see if you can see the UI - I thought that didn't matter but fairly unimpressed with the one I got recently (Yamaha TSR-700). Also, see if you can hold the remote and use it - mushy buttons and slow response can be maddening, although once you get it setup it's very possible you won't use it that often after that.

If you are going to run speaker wire in the wall/ceiling, you should probably make sure it's not just the cheap stuff you buy at Lowes. Get some that is properly rated for in-wall installation. Now, I'm not advocating expensive speaker wires, but something like these insulated Amazon Basics 14 gauge should be fine. Grab some banana clips while there and look up how to build your own speaker cables on YouTube, it's really easy and probably the cheapest way to go for cabling. I personally wouldn't go wireless, but that's me. You can get cable hiders at your local hardware store or run wires under your baseboards if you are running along a wall. Or if you have a basement, go down, run to right under the speaker and come back up. Grab some grommets for the holes.

Edited by Maelstrom