What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Melvin Gordon, BAL (3 Viewers)

gianmarco

Footballguy
Gordon Highlights

default_popcorn.gif

Last edited:
Rotoworld:

An NFL scout told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that Wisconsin RB Melvin Gordon has "got a little bit of Jamaal Charles in him."

This comparison gets made frequently. As with all comparisons, be careful about reading into it too literally. MGIII (6-foot-1, 215 pounds) is bigger than Charles, but also roughly .15 seconds slower in the forty-yard dash (Gordon had forty times of 4.52 and 4.53 on Saturday). "Unique runner," the scout said. "Upright, fast runner. He's quick and has very good feet." A better comparison might be Robert Smith, who similarly wasn't thought of as fast, but who outran just about every defensive back he encountered. "He's good, but against those slow (expletive) Big Ten guys," said another scout. "That's what bothers me a little bit."

Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Feb 23 - 7:43 PM

I'm not sold, RELATIVE to the hype and cost. I just don't think he will be the best back to come out of this draft.

I'm not sold, RELATIVE to the hype and cost. I just don't think he will be the best back to come out of this draft.
i agree. I like him a lot as a player, but I'd much rather take Abdullah at the end of the 1st than Gordon at the start.

I'm sick of hearing the "Jamaal Charles" comparison. I think that's the reason people are disappointed in his 40 because they were given this false sense of his speed because it's pimped absolutely everywhere. He's more a plus sized Andre Ellington.

Rotoworld:

An NFL scout told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that Wisconsin RB Melvin Gordon has "got a little bit of Jamaal Charles in him."

This comparison gets made frequently. As with all comparisons, be careful about reading into it too literally. MGIII (6-foot-1, 215 pounds) is bigger than Charles, but also roughly .15 seconds slower in the forty-yard dash (Gordon had forty times of 4.52 and 4.53 on Saturday). "Unique runner," the scout said. "Upright, fast runner. He's quick and has very good feet." A better comparison might be Robert Smith, who similarly wasn't thought of as fast, but who outran just about every defensive back he encountered. "He's good, but against those slow (expletive) Big Ten guys," said another scout. "That's what bothers me a little bit."

Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Feb 23 - 7:43 PM
That bothers me as Gordon put up 25 rush 143 yards 5.7 average against South Carolina, 16 rush 140 yards 8.0 average against LSU and 34 rush 251 yards 7.4 average against Auburn. Yes those defenses are not Alabama but those are 3 great days against "speedy" SEC defenses.

I do like the Robert Smith comparison (though I think Gordon is more dynamic than Smith) much better than the Jamal Charles comparison.

Bishop Sankey

Combine Invite: Yes

Height: 5094

Weight: 209

40 Yrd Dash: 4.49

20 Yrd Dash: 2.51

10 Yrd Dash: 1.53

225 Lb. Bench Reps: 26

Vertical Jump: 35 1/2

Broad Jump: 10'06"

20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.00

3-Cone Drill: 6.75
Melvin Gordon

Combine Invite: Yes

Height: 6005

Weight: 215

40 Yrd Dash: 4.52

20 Yrd Dash:

10 Yrd Dash:

225 Lb. Bench Reps: 19

Vertical Jump: 35

Broad Jump: 10'06"

20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.07

3-Cone Drill: 7.04

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
For some reason, I've always felt he compares well to Edgerrin James. Tough, strong, athletic, good vision. While maybe not a home run threat like a Charles, I could see a guy who, if healthy, who could put up at least 4/5 solid 300+ touches and decent averages; team depndant.

Just measured his 40 time. I have him at 4.47 with 1.60 10-yard. These Official times seem to be really messed up. Once NFLDS updates the times, it's probably gonna be closer to a 4.44.

Just measured his 40 time. I have him at 4.47 with 1.60 10-yard. These Official times seem to be really messed up. Once NFLDS updates the times, it's probably gonna be closer to a 4.44.
Can you explain this to me and why you feel the official reported times are incorrect?

Can you explain this to me and why you feel the official reported times are incorrect?
I may be wrong but what I think he does is analyze a video of the run. The video is usually 30 fps, so each frame represents 0.033 seconds. Count the frames and you have the time.

The problem I've seen from doing this is twofold.

1. At the start, you're looking for hand movement. At best it will be obvious. But, even then, you could be starting the clock .03 seconds late, creating a faster time. At worst, you may miss the very first movement and you could be starting nearly .07 seconds late.

2. Most of the videos are shot at an angle, which means you're guessing a little on when they cross the finish line. This could go either way, but again, it could easily create an error of 1 frame, or 0.033 seconds.

Overall, when draftscout updates their times, they generally tend to be faster, which makes sense when you think about it.

I may be wrong but what I think he does is analyze a video of the run. The video is usually 30 fps, so each frame represents 0.033 seconds. Count the frames and you have the time.

1. At the start, you're looking for hand movement. At best it will be obvious. But, even then, you could be starting the clock .03 seconds late, creating a faster time. At worst, you may miss the very first movement and you could be starting nearly .07 seconds late.

2. Most of the videos are shot at an angle, which means you're guessing a little on when they cross the finish line. This could go either way, but again, it could easily create an error of 1 frame, or 0.033 seconds.

Overall, when draftscout updates their times, they generally tend to be faster, which makes sense when you think about it.
Hand movement isn't a proper start time. I want to know how quickly a player runs 40 yards, not how quickly they react and run 40 yards. So I start my times when the back foot loses contact with the ground. Each player takes a different amount of time from hand movement to back foot lift.

Going with hand movement would give you much more "slow" times.

Yes some of the angles aren't good because they don't use the same angle on every singled run. But for some they'll show a replay from a different angle and I compare the body positioning of the runner with the other angle.

In Gordon's case, there was a clear start and a clear finish.

Xue said:

Hand movement isn't a proper start time. I want to know how quickly a player runs 40 yards, not how quickly they react and run 40 yards. So I start my times when the back foot loses contact with the ground. Each player takes a different amount of time from hand movement to back foot lift.

Yes some of the angles aren't good because they don't use the same angle on every singled run. But for some they'll show a replay from a different angle and I compare the body positioning of the runner with the other angle.

OK, but whether you use hand or foot, the problem still exists. The movement can occur anywhere between one frame and the next, creating a possible 0.033 disparity between measuring two players. The same problem exists at the end, but to a greater extent. Just because Gordon had a good view doesn't mean everyone will. The nice thing about using combine speeds is that they are comparable across all players at the combine.

Xue said:

OK, but whether you use hand or foot, the problem still exists. The movement can occur anywhere between one frame and the next, creating a possible 0.033 disparity between measuring two players. The same problem exists at the end, but to a greater extent. Just because Gordon had a good view doesn't mean everyone will. The nice thing about using combine speeds is that they are comparable across all players at the combine.
The disparity would actually only be half of that if it occurs between frames. My goal is more in finding which players had more discrepancy in what I measure on video and their "Official" time. BJ Catalon for example, I have him at 4.50, while his Official time is 4.57. That's a huge difference.

Rotoworld:

Wisconsin RB Melvin Gordon III posted a Speed Score of 103.0 at the NFL Combine.
"That ended up as the fifth-highest score in this year's class, though it certainly doesn't match the average score of a first-round running back over the past decade, which is around 110," noted ESPN's Aaron Schatz. Gordon ran a 4.52-second forty-yard dash at 6-foot-1, 215 pounds. Gordon, the favorite to be the first running back off the board, has big hands (9 3/4").

Source: ESPN Insider
Feb 28 - 4:38 PM

Rotoworld:

Wisconsin RB Melvin Gordon III "had a decent [combine] workout but not a great one, putting up results that were average or above-average in every category," according to ESPN's Todd McShay.

McShay was discussing MGIII as a way to illustrate his larger point, which was that this talented running back class, as a group, disappointed at the combine. "The fact two of our four top-ranked backs weren't able to work out due to injury -- Georgia's Todd Gurley and Indiana's Tevin Coleman -- had an impact on this group, but even taking their absences into account, this was a disappointing performance," McShay wrote. "Last year, 10 running backs ran the 40-yard dash faster than 4.5 seconds; this year, only three did." Gordon III ran a 4.52-second forty-yard dash at 6-foot-1, 215 pounds, posting a Speed Score of 103.0.

Mar 2 - 11:08 PM

Rotoworld:

Wisconsin RB Melvin Gordon III "played in a zone system at Wisconsin that is similar to what the Eagles do," and NFL Media analyst Bucky Brooks believes Gordon is the right fit, if the Eagles are looking for a RB in the first-round.
"If it's the first round, Melvin Gordon, because he's one of the best ones there," Brooks said. "He played in a zone system at Wisconsin that is similar to what the Eagles do, in terms of how he reads lanes and cuts." The Wisconsin prospect has the ideal size and speed for the position, and excels between the tackles. If Kelly is looking for a complete back, with more power and north-south to his game, than Gordon fits that profile.

Source: NFL.com
Mar 4 - 2:26 PM
NFL Media's Lance Zierlein questioned the idea that Wisconsin RB Melvin Gordon III is a "natural zone scheme runner."
Gordon is "hesitant on reads and with cutback lanes," Zierlein writes. Lance has watched a zone scheme for many years while living in Houston and closely following the Texans. Gordon ran behind a slant blocking offensive line, or at least it was frequently used with the Badgers.

Source: Lance Zierlein on Twitter
Mar 4 - 12:48 PM

Rotoworld:

Wisconsin RB Melvin Gordon III "played in a zone system at Wisconsin that is similar to what the Eagles do," and NFL Media analyst Bucky Brooks believes Gordon is the right fit, if the Eagles are looking for a RB in the first-round.
"If it's the first round, Melvin Gordon, because he's one of the best ones there," Brooks said. "He played in a zone system at Wisconsin that is similar to what the Eagles do, in terms of how he reads lanes and cuts." The Wisconsin prospect has the ideal size and speed for the position, and excels between the tackles. If Kelly is looking for a complete back, with more power and north-south to his game, than Gordon fits that profile.

Mar 4 - 2:26 PM
NFL Media's Lance Zierlein questioned the idea that Wisconsin RB Melvin Gordon III is a "natural zone scheme runner."
Gordon is "hesitant on reads and with cutback lanes," Zierlein writes. Lance has watched a zone scheme for many years while living in Houston and closely following the Texans. Gordon ran behind a slant blocking offensive line, or at least it was frequently used with the Badgers.

Source: Lance Zierlein on Twitter
Mar 4 - 12:48 PM
Yeah, it's quote contradictory.

Rotoworld:

Melvin Gordon - RB - Badgers

ESPN's Steve Muench and Kevin Weidl believe Wisconsin RB Melvin Gordon III "has just average versatility in the passing game."

"He caught the ball well [at the combine], but he also appeared to lack ideal body control in adjusting to throws, and he doesn't look to have natural hand-eye coordination bringing the ball in," they wrote. "Teams considering drafting him will have to feel comfortable that he can improve in this area." The 6-foot-1, 215-pound ran a 4.52-second forty-yard dash at the combine, posting a Speed Score of 103.0. He added a broad jump of 10 feet, 6 inches, and a vertical jump of 35 inches. "Gordon also displayed good body control and smooth feet through bag and cone drills," noted Scouts Inc.

Mar 5 - 9:06 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Steve Muench and Kevin Weidl believe Wisconsin RB Melvin Gordon III "has just average versatility in the passing game."

"He caught the ball well [at the combine], but he also appeared to lack ideal body control in adjusting to throws, and he doesn't look to have natural hand-eye coordination bringing the ball in," they wrote. "Teams considering drafting him will have to feel comfortable that he can improve in this area." The 6-foot-1, 215-pound ran a 4.52-second forty-yard dash at the combine, posting a Speed Score of 103.0. He added a broad jump of 10 feet, 6 inches, and a vertical jump of 35 inches. "Gordon also displayed good body control and smooth feet through bag and cone drills," noted Scouts Inc.

Don't be fooled into believing all of the nitpicking this time of year. If stone-hand Andre Williams is any indication, you don't need to have hands like Jerry Rice to be serviceable as a receiver. Andre Williams was said to be the WORST receiver ever to play running back and he still managed 18 receptions. I find it hard to believe Gordon is THAT bad. Is he Marshall Faulk? No. Is he Andre Williams? No. I swear they are going to dissect every player into nothing.

georg013 said:
Faust said:
Rotoworld:

Don't be fooled into believing all of the nitpicking this time of year. If stone-hand Andre Williams is any indication, you don't need to have hands like Jerry Rice to be serviceable as a receiver. Andre Williams was said to be the WORST receiver ever to play running back and he still managed 18 receptions. I find it hard to believe Gordon is THAT bad. Is he Marshall Faulk? No. Is he Andre Williams? No. I swear they are going to dissect every player into nothing.
Adrian Peterson had bad hands.

Rotoworld:

Wisconsin RB Melvin Gordon III "could be enticing to Dallas were he available at 27," notes NFL Media.

"Some question his pass-blocking abilities, and he is relatively untested as a receiver (22 career receptions, or 43 fewer than Gurley)," wrote College Football 24/7 writer Mike Huguenin. "At the same time, Wisconsin didn't throw a lot and also didn't ask much of its backs in pass protection. It's hard to ding a guy for not doing something he wasn't asked to do." The 6-foot-1, 215-pound ran a 4.52-second forty-yard dash at the combine, posting a Speed Score of 103.0. He added a broad jump of 10 feet, 6 inches, and a vertical jump of 35 inches. You just watched him drop 2,587 yards on the college football world. Gordon might not be on the board by the time the Cowboys' number is called.

Mar 12 - 10:28 PM

Rotoworld:

Wisconsin RB Melvin Gordon III recently worked out for both the Jets and Colts.
It seems doubtful that the contending Colts would use a premium pick on a running back after signing Frank Gore (Dan Herron and Vick Ballard are also on the depth chart). The Jets are another story, and would no doubt love to pair MGIII (or another top prospect) with Chris Ivory. Acquiring Gordon will require the use of a mid-to-late Round 1 pick.

Source: Walter Football
Mar 13 - 7:38 PM

Rotoworld:

Wisconsin RB Melvin Gordon III recently worked out for both the Jets and Colts.
It seems doubtful that the contending Colts would use a premium pick on a running back after signing Frank Gore (Dan Herron and Vick Ballard are also on the depth chart). The Jets are another story, and would no doubt love to pair MGIII (or another top prospect) with Chris Ivory. Acquiring Gordon will require the use of a mid-to-late Round 1 pick.

Source: Walter Football
Mar 13 - 7:38 PM
Decent chance he falls to the 2nd round.

Since the new CBA in 2011 there have been 4 1st round RB: Ingram, Wilson, Martin, Richardson.

Late 1st's are very valuable due to the 5th round option and with the devaluing of RB contract there's no need to use a 1st on one (the 5th year option becomes nearly useless).

I have a feeling both Gurley and Gordon will go before the Cowboys at 27. My bet is only 1 but that may be the cut-off for the 2nd is 27th overall.

Hope Gordon falls to the Cowboys. Given how the last couple of drafts have gone when it comes to running backs there is a pretty decent chance.

Rotoworld:

Wisconsin RB Melvin Gordon III has visits lined up with the Cardinals and Cowboys, per Rand Getlin.
The Cardinals visit is set for Monday, while not date was given for the Cowboys trip. Both landing spots make sense. The talent drop off from DeMarco Murray and the next ball carrier on the Cowboys roster is steep. We don't view Gordon in the same tier as Todd Gurley, but he belongs in the same cluster as the second group of running backs. We project a second round selection.

Source: Rand Getlin on Twitter
Mar 16 - 3:29 PM

Rotoworld:

Wisconsin RB Melvin Gordon III has a visit set up with the Jacksonville Jaguars.
"Another team bringing RB Melvin Gordon in for a pre-draft visit: the Jaguars, who currently hold the 3rd and 36th picks," Getlin tweeted. The Jacksonville Jaguars lost out on the DeMarco Murray sweepstakes in free agency, and could be looking for their future back via the draft. While the Jaguars have Denard Robinson and Toby Gerhardt holding down the fort, the Jags could show heavy interest in adding talent to the position, with a loaded draft class.

Source: Rand Getlin on Twitter
Mar 17 - 3:50 PM

Users who are viewing this thread