Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***Official Melvin "Flash" Gordon*** Thread of Love


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am taking him at 6 or 7. It's pretty simple, there are only 4 or 5 other RBs likely to be on the field and get as many carries and targets as Gordon. 

Well based on these stats Ekeler owners have nothing to worry about.  Gordon is clearly an inferior back.

Typical guppy. Waaah, waaah, you cry, this game is too hard! Sorry son, but I don't have to dumb down The Sport just so noobs like you have a chance at keeping up. I play in a $4,000 en

16 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

That would make him a great value anywhere in the 1st round. He was RB 5 in PPR last year, if he got those extra numbers his stat line would be 1800 yards, 77 receptions and 14 TDs which would have basically been the equivalent of Leveon Bell last season. 

I think its possible with an uptick in efficiency and passes in ppr. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Todd Andrews said:

I think its possible with an uptick in efficiency and passes in ppr. 

Oh yeah, I do think it is possible. The Chargers could have a high powered offense plus a defense could enough to create a lot of nice game scripts for MG. In standard I see him falling into the 2nd sometimes. That is a screaming value IMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, The Man With No Name said:

Yeah, Ekeler may not pose a threat to his workload but injury and Justin Jackson could

Injury poses a threat to every RB's workload.

And a 7th round rookie on a hopeful playoff team seeing enough touches to significantly cut into Gordon's workload?  The likelihood of that is, well, putting it nicely, about the most unlikely scenario.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m strangely on the bandwagon here for 2018.  In large part because of how ‘dismissed’ he seems to be despite him checking the box on the three criteria necessary to be a big time producer.

Volume/Receptions/TD’s

Best part is, so long as he stays healthy, it feels awfully safe.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gianmarco said:

Comments on the article:

  1. I find it interesting that the author names several reasons to be positive about Gordon this season, then says their site has him as the #9 RB, even though he finished higher than that in both total points and points per game the past two seasons. The way the article is written, I was expecting a top 5 ranking.
  2. If he stays healthy and doesn't regress, I think Ekeler will exceed all of his totals from 2017: 47 rushing attempts, 35 targets, 27 receptions. If true, it seems likely those opportunities will cap Gordon's opportunities a bit. And the team could work Justin Jackson into games, especially if there are games when the Chargers are winning big. Jackson at least has the potential to be better than the Chargers' backups last season (Oliver and Andre Williams).
  3. The author mentions game script but doesn't note that Gordon already had the 7th best game script in the league last year. While I agree it could improve, as I have posted elsewhere, there isn't that much room for improvement.
  4. The author mentions that Henry and Gates vacated 23 red zone targets and assumes they will go to Allen and Gordon. But the author does not mention Mike Williams. Assuming he is healthy, he should eat into those; one of the reasons he was drafted #7 last year is his strength as a red zone target. The author also doesn't mention the possibility of Gates returning, which I expect will happen.
  5. Speaking of Gates' possible return, that would suggest that there will continue to be a heavy dose of 2 TE sets. That could mitigate the opportunity the article cites for Gordon to run more out of spread formations.

Don't get me wrong. I like Gordon at the 1/2 turn in redrafts this year. I think he has a very safe floor and has top 5 ceiling. I posted quite a bit about him and positives for him this season in this thread.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

A return by Gates would be bad for Gordon’s fantasy production. Gates is still a good red zone target, but he’s an atrocious blocker — a terrible combination for a running back’s fantasy prospects.

MT, Virgil Green currently in line to get most of snaps correct?  From what I recall he's not much of a blocker either.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Maurile Tremblay said:
5 hours ago, TripItUp said:

MT, Virgil Green currently in line to get most of snaps correct?  From what I recall he's not much of a blocker either.

I think that's all he is.

Green seems to have a reputation as a good blocker, and media reports have indicated that is the role the Chargers signed him to play. FWIW, PFF gave him a terrible run blocking grade last season. So you may both be right here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2018 at 10:16 AM, TheDirtyWord said:

I’m strangely on the bandwagon here for 2018.  In large part because of how ‘dismissed’ he seems to be despite him checking the box on the three criteria necessary to be a big time producer.

Volume/Receptions/TD’s

Best part is, so long as he stays healthy, it feels awfully safe.

Yep, IMO he is the last of the sure fire workhorses. Here are my current RB rankings for standard:

1. Bell   2. Zeke   3. Gurley   4. DJ    5. Gordon  6. Kamara   7. Hunt   8. Saquon    I admit that once I see Saquon in preseason, he could easily move up. I love the player and the situation, I just want to get a glimpse of how he looks with pros. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Chargers coach Anthony Lynn told ESPN's Dan Graziano he wants to use Melvin Gordon more in the passing game.

OC Ken Whisenhunt said the same thing in June. Gordon set career highs with 83 targets and 58 catches last season, but he could see even more work after the Chargers lost Hunter Henry to a torn ACL. It is never pretty, but Gordon's touch total makes him a solid RB1.

Source: ESPN 

Aug 9 - 10:19 AM

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Faust said:
Quote

Chargers coach Anthony Lynn told ESPN's Dan Graziano he wants to use Melvin Gordon more in the passing game.

OC Ken Whisenhunt said the same thing in June. Gordon set career highs with 83 targets and 58 catches last season, but he could see even more work after the Chargers lost Hunter Henry to a torn ACL. It is never pretty, but Gordon's touch total makes him a solid RB1.

Source: ESPN 

Aug 9 - 10:19 AM

I know this has been reported this offseason, but it's hard for me to see this really happening, at least in a non-trivial way.

Gordon had 58/476/4 (8.2 ypr) on 83 targets last season. But Ekeler had 27/279/3 (10.3 ypr) on 35 targets.

Through the first 3 games last season, Ekeler had 0 carries and 3 targets. He broke his hand in the 4th quarter of game 14 and didn’t play offense in the last 2 games. But in the 11 games in between, he had 47/260/2 (5.5 ypc) rushing and 24/255/3 (10.6 ypr) receiving on 32 targets.

That pace scales to 68 carries and 47 targets in 16 games, and that is with zero increase in the role he had during that 11 game stretch. I could easily see 80 carries and 70 targets for Ekeler, if Gordon stays healthy. And if Gordon misses time, that would go up.

So, with that, it is hard for me to see Gordon's role in the passing game increasing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

you're all putting a lot of faith in a guy who has never surpassed the RB mason/dixon line of 4.0 yards per carry..he literally is 3 yards and a cloud of dust..the OP mentioned that he checks 3 boxes, one being volume, you'll need to hope that volume continues because this guy cant muster any forward progress worth a hoot..a regression is due, he had career highs across the board in att, tgts, recs..I would expect many of these stats to ease back down a bit, making him the most ordinary volume-based RB in the league not named Lamar Miller. truth be told, Miller might be a much better value given current ADP of 4.03 on FF calculator, as opposed to 1.09 for Gordon.sheesh!!! 

give me Miller at his ADP all day long vs. Gordon who can't even break the 4 yards/carry barrier. 

I've never understood the M. Gordon love he's extremely ordinary

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Who's taking him at #9?  That said he was RB#5 and #6 in my two leagues last year (the second one is a PPR), both pretty standard scoring otherwise.  He's also been right at 3.9 YPC the last two years, with 10.2 and 8.2 yp catch, taking his yards per touch well over 4.0.  If you can get him in the early 2nd after taking a more solid RB or top WR in the first, you'll be happy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, matttyl said:

Who's taking him at #9?  That said he was RB#5 and #6 in my two leagues last year (the second one is a PPR), both pretty standard scoring otherwise.  He's also been right at 3.9 YPC the last two years, with 10.2 and 8.2 yp catch, taking his yards per touch well over 4.0.  If you can get him in the early 2nd after taking a more solid RB or top WR in the first, you'll be happy. 

Who is more solid than him?? His ypc is bad....but i dont play in ypc bonus leagues....his oline was pretty awful at run blocking....they should improve with pouncey and a healthy lamp.....he is a coin flip type of guy at the bottom of round 1...with fournette hunt n cook at rb.....its all about taste imo

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I hate this guy. No matter what I do, when taking into account his involvement in the passing game, I can't get him to fall down my rankings in full PPR. Even taking into account Ekeler, you have to figure that both RBs stand to benefit with no real safety valve to take the place of Gates and Henry. ####### Melvin Gordon. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2018 at 3:36 PM, matttyl said:

Who's taking him at #9?  That said he was RB#5 and #6 in my two leagues last year (the second one is a PPR), both pretty standard scoring otherwise.  He's also been right at 3.9 YPC the last two years, with 10.2 and 8.2 yp catch, taking his yards per touch well over 4.0.  If you can get him in the early 2nd after taking a more solid RB or top WR in the first, you'll be happy. 

I am taking him at 6 or 7. It's pretty simple, there are only 4 or 5 other RBs likely to be on the field and get as many carries and targets as Gordon. 

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2018 at 2:24 PM, Tanner9919 said:

you're all putting a lot of faith in a guy who has never surpassed the RB mason/dixon line of 4.0 yards per carry..he literally is 3 yards and a cloud of dust..the OP mentioned that he checks 3 boxes, one being volume, you'll need to hope that volume continues because this guy cant muster any forward progress worth a hoot..a regression is due, he had career highs across the board in att, tgts, recs..I would expect many of these stats to ease back down a bit, making him the most ordinary volume-based RB in the league not named Lamar Miller. truth be told, Miller might be a much better value given current ADP of 4.03 on FF calculator, as opposed to 1.09 for Gordon.sheesh!!! 

give me Miller at his ADP all day long vs. Gordon who can't even break the 4 yards/carry barrier. 

I've never understood the M. Gordon love he's extremely ordinary

 

Miller's ypc ain't great either

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

I am taking him at 6 or 7. It's pretty simple, there are only 4 or 5 other RBs likely to be on the field and get as many carries and targets as Gordon. 

Agreed. People are making it too complicated. Touches = production.  Gordon is going to get 300-350 touches. He's a no-brainer anywhere in the first round.

Edited by meyerj31
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

I am taking him at 6 or 7. It's pretty simple, there are only 4 or 5 other RBs likely to be on the field and get as many carries and targets as Gordon.

Or as many RZ carries. It's not just that he's a high volume player (although maybe that could speak towards durability concerns, he has the 6th most touches of any RB over the past 3 years), but that he gets a lot of high quality touches, especially in any type of PPR format. He had the 3rd most RZ carries and the 6th most targets amongst RBs. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, SameSongNDance said:

Or as many RZ carries. It's not just that he's a high volume player (although maybe that could speak towards durability concerns, he has the 6th most touches of any RB over the past 3 years), but that he gets a lot of high quality touches, especially in any type of PPR format. He had the 3rd most RZ carries and the 6th most targets amongst RBs. 

 

Yep. He’s the closest thing to a sure bet for 1500 and 10 once you get past the big 4.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Was initially leaning Hopkins/OBJ in the 1st (8 out of 10) and hoping for Gordon/Cook in the 2nd but thinking about playing it safe and going Gordon in the 1st. Have Kamara as a keeper and I think Gordon, barring injury, has just about the highest floor outside of the Top 2 or 3. 

ETA: Just saw ilov80s said pretty much exactly that, hah. 

Edited by Elevencents
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

Yep over analysis is a disease...

 

2 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Yep. He’s the closest thing to a sure bet for 1500 and 10 once you get past the big 4.

 

It's funny how we're only a few years removed from having only a few true bell-cows.  This year there could be as many as 10.  Don't over-analyze it. Just grab one in the first round.

 

I'm plannign on grabbing two, if possible. Bellcow Rbs are so rare in fantasy.

Edited by meyerj31
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So nice to see other folks thinking this way. I’m at the 1.7 in my main redraft league and have had Gordon locked in as my pick for weeks now. I thought it was just me :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SameSongNDance said:

Any homers with insight on the OL this year? How big of an upgrade is Lamp? Maybe Gordon can actually rush for 4+ ypc this year. 

Is he off the PUP? If so I don't think he can be anything but an upgrade. Throw in Pouncey, for as long as he's healthy, and the interior of the.line has to be improved.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, SameSongNDance said:

Any homers with insight on the OL this year? How big of an upgrade is Lamp? Maybe Gordon can actually rush for 4+ ypc this year. 

I am a Chargers fan. These are the reasons to be optimistic about the OL:

  1. C Pouncey is a huge upgrade over Pulley. This cannot be overstated. Pulley was arguably the worst starting C in the league last season.
  2. LG Feeney was forced into action last season as a rookie and played pretty well. He should be improved based on that experience and a full offseason. His best attribute is run blocking.
  3. RG Lamp was widely viewed as the best G in the draft last year. If he is healthy, he could be a huge upgrade on RG Wiggins from last season, who is no longer on the team and was terrible. Hard to really know how well Lamp will play coming off the injury and without having faced any real live NFL action, but the talent is there.

It is also worth noting that this is the second season for the coaching staff, in particular HC Lynn, who was a NFL RB and RB coach for 23 years before becoming a head coach. He should be better prepared and more comfortable, and we know he wants to have a successful running game.

All that being said, I think Ekeler will have a bigger role this year, so that might cap Gordon's upside a bit.

Edited by Just Win Baby
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, joey said:

So nice to see other folks thinking this way. I’m at the 1.7 in my main redraft league and have had Gordon locked in as my pick for weeks now. I thought it was just me :) 

Im at 6 and thinking about picking him there over Barkley / Kamara.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JoeSteeler said:

Traded 1.08 and 2 future 3rds for him a couple weeks ago (16 team PPR dynasty). Looking forward to watching him this year 

Someone just offered me 1.3 for him in non-PPR dynasty and I turned it down. If it were the 1.2 and Guice wasn’t out for the year, I’d consider it. But all those rookie RBs are such similar "what if's" to me that I turned it down pretty quickly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Quote

Melvin Gordon rushed 18 times for 132 yards with three touchdowns while catching 2-of-4 targets for 18 yards in Sunday's Week 6 win over the Browns.

Gordon started the day with a 4-yard touchdown run on the Chargers' first possession of the game that got the ball rolling and the offense never looked back. He added touchdowns runs of 10 and 11 yards in the second half to bury the game. Gordon is off the best start of his career, rushing for 5.1 yards per carry through six games with nine total touchdowns. Gordon will be a set-and-forget option when the Chargers head to London in Week 7 versus the Titans.

Oct 14 - 4:15 PM

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...