What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Melvin Gordon, BAL (7 Viewers)

BREAKING: the #Eagles are acquiring RB Melvin Gordon via trade with the #Chargers, reports ESPN. In exchange, Los Angeles will receive a 2020 1st-round pick, 2021 3rd-round pick, and WR Nelson Agholor.

reported via **** Harrison

@richardESPN

Last edited by a moderator:
BREAKING: the #Eagles are acquiring RB Melvin Gordon via trade with the #Chargers, reports ESPN. In exchange, Los Angeles will receive a 2020 1st-round pick, 2021 3rd-round pick, and WR Nelson Agholor.

@richardESPN
Any confirmation?

@richardESPN
Seems like a weird landing spot

**** F. Harrison

@RichardESPN

I’m Richard Harrison, a 59-year-old professional sports insider & analyst for ESPN. (Parody)

Doesn't seem like a trustworthy source.

Wonder how many people pulled the trigger on him immediately after that parody tweet appeared...

**** F. Harrison

@RichardESPN

I’m Richard Harrison, a 59-year-old professional sports insider & analyst for ESPN. (Parody)

Doesn't seem like a trustworthy source.
😂no team is giving up a 1st/3rd for Gordon knowing they have to sign him to huge contract.   That shoulda been the first giveaway it was complete BS.

:rolleyes:

Typical guppy.

Waaah, waaah, you cry, this game is too hard!

Sorry son, but I don't have to dumb down The Sport just so noobs like you have a chance at keeping up.

I play in a $4,000 entry, Super-WCOFF, triple-reverse, double down, mirror league with a modified PPFDR base 8 scoring system, and we just held our draft in July. For the 2023 season. You think Bo Nix getting the start in Auburn is news? I drafted him after studying up on him, after he signed his letter of intent, last year. You think that maybe going with a WR in the first two rounds instead of back-to-back RBs is somehow new thinking in fantasy? Well, do you have the balls to do what I did this year when I didn't take my first RB until the fourth round (Trenton Simpson, Mallard Creek High Schol in Charlotte NC)? You've probably never even heard of Julian Fleming, Jermaine Burton, or Desmond Demas, yet not only did I draft them this year to form my future WR corps, I've also started referring to them by fantasy board nicknames (JFlem, JerBur & DoubleDesmond). Hell, guys like you are going to be the poor schmucks who are searching this board five years from now for info on some great RB you just heard of out of the middle of some swamp in Florida, and the FBG search result box is going to come up with this very post, where I brag about nabbing Demarkcus Bowman of the Lakeland Dreadnaughts at the 25.32/26.01 turn two full months before he lit up Clearwater American Collegiate Academy for 2 TDs (1 rushing, 1 receiving) in a 55-13 win, or Bradenton Manatee, a playoff team last season, for 186 rushing yards and a TD in just the first half of a 45-0 rout. You'll be wondering about his durability and I'll remember a phone call I made back when you were just hearing the name "Darwin Thompson" for the first time to the kid's doctor over at the Watson Clinic attached to Lakeland Hospital about the sprain he suffered in his left ankle in 2018.

Let me give you a tip, IT = INFO, and there's no "expires by" date on it.

:football:
I laughed really, really hard at this. Every word. Bravo. :lol:  

The fun part is that 2 of the 4 high school kids I name dropped in the first post 10 years ago actually made the NFL. (Rod Smith and Martavis Bryant) 
that's actually incredible.  Makes it even more epic. Props to you.  One of the best posts in the history of the board.

iamkoza said:
Start another thread about draft dates... Last two pages have been nothing but crap and one obviously fake Twitter post
Seriously out of left field.

i merely commented on how the dates impacted the Gordon owners in my leagues. Thought it had relevance. You know, since current / past / change of Gordon’s adp was being discussed. 

Weirdest topic hijack ever. 

Manster said:
I don't understand why anyone does drafts before this weekend.  Makes zero sense......my 3 drafts are Mon, Tues, Wed......we do it that way every year to avoid this kind of crap.
I don't feel sorry for anyone in a redraft league who spends $100 or more and took Andrew Luck 4 weeks ago. My keeper league since it started we've always drafted Labor Day weekend and two yrs ago to accommodate myself and 4 others (I was out of the country literally, 2 other guys were on vacation and a 3rd had a wedding Labor Day weekend)  we drafted the Tues or Wednesday right before the TNF opener. My buddy is obsessed with Fantasy drafting. I remember a few yrs ago when Luck/Brady and a bunch of other guys got season ending injuries early in camp (Ok maybe it wasn't Brady but someone just as big) and he had a $300 re draft draft in July. I believe 5 of the guys he drafted by week 1 were done for the year. Essentially his whole starting line up was out for the year or missing significant amount of time. At the Earliest I get draft week 3 of the pre season. Anytime before that you are taking huge risks. Unless you are in a dynasty league with a rookie and such. 

stlrams said:
What’s more important than fantasy football?  NOTHING.  We meet at local bar from 6:30 - 9:30 roughly.  It’s really easier to draft midweek than weekends imho.
Yep especially when some bars do specials for drafts. Some of my local bars do discounts and add a private room for you. A friend of mine has a draft every year 100 buy in for 12 players. Some of that money goes for a title belt and some of it is spent for the draft night party. The rest  goes to the 1st and 2nd place winners and the 3rd place guy gets a gag gift of sort they've traditionally done. They have the draft the Thursday of the final preseason games or on cut day. If that doesn't work M-T-W they find the time. His wife is also in the league and they usually have her mom watch the kids for like 4 hours given she lives so close to them.  

simey said:
My 21 year old money league always has the draft the weekend before labor day, which is preseason week 3. It is a live draft full of old friends, and three of the guys are coming from three different states. Most drafters have families, and doing it on labor day weekend is out of the question. It isn't a perfect world, and it is the best we can do to get it as close as we can to the regular season. To not understand and say it makes zero sense to have drafts before this weekend seems out of touch with the reality that people have lives that can't be perfect with a draft time.
I had a few guys who are in a league since HS do a draft. My one friend lives in China and had to Live Skype for the draft at 5:30 in the morning. People can complain about family stuff and all being the issue but this guy literally had a time zone disadvantage working against him. 

Melvin Gordon started following the Eagles on IG and a bunch of Eagles players just a few hours ago. Take that for what it's worth. Only other team he follows on IG is the Chargers. 

Saw that. Then i saw he started to follow a bunch of other teams after.
Really I only saw the initial tweet by the LATimes Chargers beat writer. The Eagles SB blog picked it up as well. Didn't see he followed other teams but did read he was following Eagles players he hadn't already done so with

simey said:
My 21 year old money league always has the draft the weekend before labor day, which is preseason week 3. It is a live draft full of old friends, and three of the guys are coming from three different states. Most drafters have families, and doing it on labor day weekend is out of the question. It isn't a perfect world, and it is the best we can do to get it as close as we can to the regular season. To not understand and say it makes zero sense to have drafts before this weekend seems out of touch with the reality that people have lives that can't be perfect with a draft time.
We are playing golf at 9am Thursday then drafting.  14 of us (2 teams with co-owners). 20 + year league. 

So sounds like he turned down $10 M. a year. Assuming he’s a free agent next year will anyone pay more than that?

simey said:
I had a few guys who are in a league since HS do a draft. My one friend lives in China and had to Live Skype for the draft at 5:30 in the morning. People can complain about family stuff and all being the issue but this guy literally had a time zone disadvantage working against him. 
I wasn't complaining. I was simply stating why we do our draft every year the weekend before labor day weekend. Not one person in our league complains about when we do our draft. It is a time we can all see each other in person, have fun, and draft our players. This year was actually very sentimental. One of the teams has two owners, and one of the owners unexpectedly died at the end of June. There were tears, and laughter too reminiscing on stories of our dear departed long time friend. It is more about being together than it is getting the best players. We don't get to see the guys that live out of state (Florida, Georgia, and Virginia) often, so it is nice that we get together same time every year here in NC. Anyway, this thread is about Melvin Gordon, and I didn't draft him. 

stlrams said:
Been a ffl commission for about 30 years and still don’t understand early drafts.  You do it bad...
Players can get hurt in Week 1 games also. As far as players holding out, that’s a relatively new phenomenon and it adds a bit of strategy (risk v reward). Is it ideal, probably not, but people do what they have to do. We have always tried to keep out draft date stable (The Saturday before Labor Day Weekend) - but we have had a four year stretch where it was the Saturday right before Week 1 Sunday kickoff. 

Im fairly certain a weeknight would not work for my guys and frankly the was we do the draft I wouldn’t want that. We meet up at around 11:30 am, start the draft around 12:30, take a break in the middle to BBQ, resume drafting and hang out for hours after we’re done. Fantasy Football is important but for me a large part of that is draft day. You like three hours in a bar, with people having to work the next day, we like 10+ hours at a beach house with drinks and BBQ and some poker afterwards.

Hot Sauce Guy said:
Unless Gordon decides to play week. 1

;)  
Gordon was drafted, just not as high as he would have been.  Same as Zeke as you don`t want your first rd pick missing half or the whole season.

Gordon was drafted, just not as high as he would have been.  Same as Zeke as you don`t want your first rd pick missing half or the whole season.
There isn’t any more clarity on Zekes situation today than there was a week ago - if anything it seems more likely he’ll be there Week 1 then is did then.

Gordon was expected to miss a lot of time a week ago and he still is. Nothing has really changed there either.

Players can get hurt in Week 1 games also. As far as players holding out, that’s a relatively new phenomenon and it adds a bit of strategy (risk v reward). Is it ideal, probably not, but people do what they have to do. We have always tried to keep out draft date stable (The Saturday before Labor Day Weekend) - but we have had a four year stretch where it was the Saturday right before Week 1 Sunday kickoff. 

Im fairly certain a weeknight would not work for my guys and frankly the was we do the draft I wouldn’t want that. We meet up at around 11:30 am, start the draft around 12:30, take a break in the middle to BBQ, resume drafting and hang out for hours after we’re done. Fantasy Football is important but for me a large part of that is draft day. You like three hours in a bar, with people having to work the next day, we like 10+ hours at a beach house with drinks and BBQ and some poker afterwards.
I haven't done an in-person live draft with friends since 2008, and I miss it.  Honestly the best day of the entire FF season.  We had one owner bring a podium and microphone, and the draft was held in an owner's house.  Food, beer, laptops all over the place, and fake printed cheatsheets.  The one token guy who gets hammered too early and starts reaching, and the guy who still owned a childhood toy called Stretch Armstrong pulling his arms every other pick.  And the best part - no website malfunction causing a team to autodraft.  Those were the days.

Now back to Gordon.  Draft Ekeler.

Tool said:
He ain't showing up. This will last to week 10 (unless for some reason Chargers change mind about an extension)
My point was regarding the original poster saying this coming Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday are the only days to hold a draft.

We make all of our draft picks by interpretive dance. It’s quite challenging. 

So sounds like he turned down $10 M. a year. Assuming he’s a free agent next year will anyone pay more than that?
I doubt it. Maybe more in guaranteed $ though. Any incentives, etc. it’s hard to know what the contract offered really was.

reportedly they’re like 2.5 million apart.  I realize it’s not *my* 2.5M, but considering the crowded backfield and Gordon’s injury history, I think 10.xM is a pretty fair offer. Unless it’s a contract full of poisoned pills.   :shrug:

The weird part here is that he has zero leverage.  Chargers basically called his bluff telling him he could seek a trade & they’re done negotiating. 

There isn’t any more clarity on Zekes situation today than there was a week ago - if anything it seems more likely he’ll be there Week 1 then is did then.

Gordon was expected to miss a lot of time a week ago and he still is. Nothing has really changed there either.
Yes, but both are still unknown so you have to roll the dice on when to take them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Walking Boot said:
:rolleyes:

Typical guppy.

Waaah, waaah, you cry, this game is too hard!

Sorry son, but I don't have to dumb down The Sport just so noobs like you have a chance at keeping up.

I play in a $4,000 entry, Super-WCOFF, triple-reverse, double down, mirror league with a modified PPFDR base 8 scoring system, and we just held our draft in July. For the 2023 season. You think Bo Nix getting the start in Auburn is news? I drafted him after studying up on him, after he signed his letter of intent, last year. You think that maybe going with a WR in the first two rounds instead of back-to-back RBs is somehow new thinking in fantasy? Well, do you have the balls to do what I did this year when I didn't take my first RB until the fourth round (Trenton Simpson, Mallard Creek High Schol in Charlotte NC)? You've probably never even heard of Julian Fleming, Jermaine Burton, or Desmond Demas, yet not only did I draft them this year to form my future WR corps, I've also started referring to them by fantasy board nicknames (JFlem, JerBur & DoubleDesmond). Hell, guys like you are going to be the poor schmucks who are searching this board five years from now for info on some great RB you just heard of out of the middle of some swamp in Florida, and the FBG search result box is going to come up with this very post, where I brag about nabbing Demarkcus Bowman of the Lakeland Dreadnaughts at the 25.32/26.01 turn two full months before he lit up Clearwater American Collegiate Academy for 2 TDs (1 rushing, 1 receiving) in a 55-13 win, or Bradenton Manatee, a playoff team last season, for 186 rushing yards and a TD in just the first half of a 45-0 rout. You'll be wondering about his durability and I'll remember a phone call I made back when you were just hearing the name "Darwin Thompson" for the first time to the kid's doctor over at the Watson Clinic attached to Lakeland Hospital about the sprain he suffered in his left ankle in 2018.

Let me give you a tip, IT = INFO, and there's no "expires by" date on it.

:football:
Nerd alert!  How's ur moms basement treating you?

SanDawg said:
Totally agree, but when you have 13 other guys who are so damn stubborn, "because we always draft this weekend" BS sometimes you have no choice.
Yea, I get it.  As we get older and busier, it gets harder.  I'm pretty lucky in that my league mates are willing to draft one or two days before the opening game, every year.

simey said:
I guess I'm lucky.  My leagues are all long running, and local.  People have come and gone.  The league calendar stays the same.....

Week 3 of preseason is a pretty good compromise.....I was more talking about leagues that draft in like July.

Users who are viewing this thread