What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Melvin Gordon, BAL (4 Viewers)

0% chance Melvin Gordon gets anything more than 50% of the touches with Chargers at any point this season (provided Ekeler stays healthy) .... Gordon will be gone next year & Chargers need to see if Ekeler can be "the man" for them moving forward.

:2cents:
This couldn't be more wrong lol. Gordon is leaving next year so they will run him into the ground.

Interesting timing of this tweet yesterday from Ekeler. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/AustinEkeler/status/1176325250151116800

Branson Wright

@BransonWright

Filmmaker. Multi-media journalist for The Cleveland Plain Dealer.

If anyone would know...
Yeah. I’m weary of it. But just reporting what I found in case it helps make a decision off the wire.

I don’t know why this guy would have insight, but I did at least check it wasn’t some spam account with zero followers.

From a financial perspective, not sure it would make sense for any player to return on a Thursday. Anyone on the roster on a Wednesday would get paid that day. Showing up a day later would cost a week's pay.

My league is going to be hella mad if this is true. I just flipped Ekeler to an 0-3 team for Saquon yesterday, and there is already some noise about it 😂

Last edited by a moderator:
Reporter is just guessing, like all of us, so I will continue to believe he will see the field no earlier than week 9.
Florio has been on top of the Gordon and Zeke holdouts from the jump providing clear and well researched info about their options and implications of when they chose to report.

He agrees that week 9 is when Gordon will see the field which means that Gordon's drop-dead reporting date is after week 4 and before week 5.

Gordon may choose to play it extra safe and report tomorrow meaning that he would see the field in week 8 at the latest.

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

One note on #Chargers RB Melvin Gordon: He’s not expected to play this week even if he shows up tomorrow. So, the earliest he can play is next week, Oct. 6 vs. the #Broncos, if he shows up this week.

From a financial perspective, not sure it would make sense for any player to return on a Thursday. Anyone on the roster on a Wednesday would get paid that day. Showing up a day later would cost a week's pay.
Yeah, I think next Tuesday makes a lot more sense than this Thursday.

So what does he need to do, to be an UFA next year?
Play enough to not have his contract toll to next season . . . ie, roll over to next year because he didn't play enough games. He has enough accrued seasons to be a free agent . . . he just needs his contract with the Chargers to be done. That's what the discussion has been about . . . when would he need to report to get credit for fulfilling his contract.

Play enough to not have his contract toll to next season . . . ie, roll over to next year because he didn't play enough games. He has enough accrued seasons to be a free agent . . . he just needs his contract with the Chargers to be done. That's what the discussion has been about . . . when would he need to report to get credit for fulfilling his contract.
Yes, when is that?

So what does he need to do, to be an UFA next year?
He obviously doesn't need an accrued season because that ship has sailed. For an accrued season, he needed to show up by August 6.

Fortunately for him, accrued seasons have nothing to do with becoming a free agent. You can become a free agent with zero accrued seasons, or you can accrue 28 seasons without ever becoming a free agent, like Tom Brady.

Accruing seasons is not the key to becoming a free agent. No longer being under contract is the key to becoming a free agent. This can happen by being released (and clearing waivers, if applicable), or it can happen by playing out the term of the contract (and not being tagged).

In Gordon's case, he's got a year left on his contract. He needs to make himself available for enough games that his contract isn't tolled. We know from the Joey Galloway case that being available for eight games is sufficient. We don't know for sure whether a lesser number would be sufficient, but the most natural reading of the relevant language in the standard player contract suggests that it probably wouldn't be. So to be safe, he needs to end his holdout before Wednesday of the ninth game. (Some people think he needs to end it earlier than that to account for the possibility that the team will use a roster-exemption on him. I believe those people are wrong. The question is how long the holdout lasted; being on the exempt list is not holding out.)

Yes, when is that?
No one knows for sure. The Galloway decision ruled that 8 games was enough (as applicable to Galloway) but some language in it seemed to indicate that one game would be enough. To be safe he'd have to be available for 8 games.

He obviously doesn't need an accrued season because that ship has sailed. For an accrued season, he needed to show up by August 6.

Fortunately for him, accrued seasons have nothing to do with becoming a free agent. You can become a free agent with zero accrued seasons, or you can accrue 28 seasons without ever becoming a free agent like Tom Brady.

The key to becoming a free agent is not accruing seasons. The key to becoming a free agent is to no longer be under contract. This can happen by being released (and clearing waivers, if applicable), or it can happen by playing out the term of the contract.

In Gordon's case, he's got a year left on his contract. He needs to make himself available for enough games that his contract isn't tolled. We know from the Joey Galloway case that eight games is sufficient. We don't know for sure whether a lesser number would be sufficient, but the most natural reading of the relevant language in the standard player contract suggests that a lesser number probably wouldn't be. So to be safe, he needs to end his holdout before the ninth game. (Some people think he needs to end it earlier than that to account for the possibility that the team will use a roster-exemption on him. I believe those people are wrong.)
I forget where I saw it, but I read somewhere that a player only had to report and be available for half the season . . . meaning that if the Chargers wanted to file for a roster exemption it would not be held against the player. There certainly seems to be a lot of grey zone in all of this, but that's what one place had mentioned.

No one knows for sure. The Galloway decision ruled that 8 games was enough (as applicable to Galloway) but some language in it seemed to indicate that one game would be enough. To be safe he'd have to be available for 8 games.
I have never been able to find the Joey Galloway grievance decision. Does anyone happen to have a link to it?

In any case, showing up for just the final game is literally impossible since a player cannot be reinstated within 30 days of the end of the regular season. I suppose a player could report for a single game in Week 12 or whatever and then resume holding out again after that, hypothetically.

What does useage look like between Gordon and Ekeler once Gordon is fully back in the fold? 
I think its silly to expect Gordon to be used as much as he was 2016-2018. He's probably not in game shape(even if he's in great shape, Zeke had the same issue) and Ekeler has excelled in his absence. 

Its entirely possible this is a 50-50 backfield. With Ekeler seeing pretty much all passing down, and hurry up work. Gordon seeing GL work, and a pretty equal split elsewhere. Sucks for Jackson, as he's been highly efficient, but no room for him.

I forget where I saw it, but I read somewhere that a player only had to report and be available for half the season . . . meaning that if the Chargers wanted to file for a roster exemption it would not be held against the player. There certainly seems to be a lot of grey zone in all of this, but that's what one place had mentioned.
You may have read it in the post you just quoted. ;)

I think its silly to expect Gordon to be used as much as he was 2016-2018. He's probably not in game shape(even if he's in great shape, Zeke had the same issue) and Ekeler has excelled in his absence. 

Its entirely possible this is a 50-50 backfield. With Ekeler seeing pretty much all passing down, and hurry up work. Gordon seeing GL work, and a pretty equal split elsewhere. Sucks for Jackson, as he's been highly efficient, but no room for him.
Gordon was a top 2 back before being injured last year. The chargers are trying to win and are 1-2. They will use their best RB alot. 

That early so that if the team placed a roster exemption on him, he could still be available for 8 games?
Exactly. They can keep him exempt for three weeks while he rounds into game shape. Then they have to play him or, and this I am not certain about, IR him or something that would prevent him from playing this season.

Gordon was a top 2 back before being injured last year. The chargers are trying to win and are 1-2. They will use their best RB alot. 
And I wonder if that has any bearing on this situation.  Could the Chargers have softened some on their "no negotiation" stance recently....behind the scenes?

Exactly. They can keep him exempt for three weeks while he rounds into game shape. Then they have to play him or, and this I am not certain about, IR him or something that would prevent him from playing this season.
They don't have to play him ever. They can make him a healthy scratch every week.

The relevant question isn't how many games he actually plays in. It's how many games he holds out for. Once he ends his holdout, whether the team chooses to play him or not after that (possibly putting him on the roster-exempt list, making him inactive, or just parking him on the bench) should be immaterial to the question of tolling. I think Florio is wrong on that point.

But they don't have to, right?  They could make him active this week (if he reports today), or next week if he reports tomorrow or later.  Then he could/would be active for 12-13 games.  Much more than he needs to prevent his contract from tolling. 

But they don't have to, right?  They could make him active this week (if he reports today), or next week if he reports tomorrow or later.  Then he could/would be active for 12-13 games.  Much more than he needs to prevent his contract from tolling. 
Right. I'd expect that to be what happens if he reports soon. If he reports before next Wednesday, I'd expect him to be active in Week 5 and to resume his normal role after maybe a week or so of adjustment.

Yes, he is top 2 on his team and will be used accordingly.

I mean, I know you weren't saying he was top 2 in the league.

Yes, he is top 2 on his team and will be used accordingly.

I mean, I know you weren't saying he was top 2 in the league.
Not sure exactly what he was saying, but in my league (fairly standard, non PPR) Gordon was the #2 points per game fantasy RB after week 12. Behind Gurley, ahead of Barkley. 

Right. I'd expect that to be what happens if he reports soon. If he reports before next Wednesday, I'd expect him to be active in Week 5 and to resume his normal role after maybe a week or so of adjustment.
I'm not as optimistic about a week 5 return to action. A lot depends on his conditioning, of course a lot depends on the Chargers record as well but I'm gonna go out on a limb and chalk up this week as a W.

1-3 Gordon plays

2-2 maybe not.

After Miami they have the Broncos and Steelers at home, which are both very winnable without Gordon, and the Titans on the road (also very winnable w/o Gordon).

After that the Bears are on deck.

Last year, his "normal role" was about 19 touches per game. Two comments on that:

1. I think it will take more than a week for him to get into football shape and establish timing with Rivers and OL to a degree sufficient to handle 19 touches per game.
  2. More importantly, I hope the Chargers don't give him 19 touches per game. IMO Ekeler has proven that he deserves 10+ touches per game as long as he is healthy, and I don't see him and Gordon getting 29+ touches per game combined. 

Not sure exactly what he was saying, but in my league (fairly standard, non PPR) Gordon was the #2 points per game fantasy RB after week 12. Behind Gurley, ahead of Barkley. 
The exchange was about what the Chargers will do, i.e., real football, not fantasy football. In real football, Gordon is not close to a top 2 RB in the league, and he never has been.

Last year, his "normal role" was about 19 touches per game. Two comments on that:

1. I think it will take more than a week for him to get into football shape and establish timing with Rivers and OL to a degree sufficient to handle 19 touches per game.
  2. More importantly, I hope the Chargers don't give him 19 touches per game. IMO Ekeler has proven that he deserves 10+ touches per game as long as he is healthy, and I don't see him and Gordon getting 29+ touches per game combined. 
SD's offense has not been clicking. They likely could use Ekeler more in the slot or moving around in space and Gordon in the backfield at the same time.

SD's offense has not been clicking. They likely could use Ekeler more in the slot or moving around in space and Gordon in the backfield at the same time.
Sure, I agree they could do that. I would simply point out that the fact that their offense hasn't been very effective has had nothing at all to do with the RB play. Their RBs have played great. The problems are the OL, the TEs (with Henry hurt), and the WRs aside from Allen. Gordon returning doesn't fix any of those, and, in fact, could make the offense worse if the coaching staff decides to shift too many touches from Ekeler and Jackson to Gordon.

They don't have to play him ever. They can make him a healthy scratch every week.

The relevant question isn't how many games he actually plays in. It's how many games he holds out for. Once he ends his holdout, whether the team chooses to play him or not after that (possibly putting him on the roster-exempt list, making him inactive, or just parking him on the bench) should be immaterial to the question of tolling. I think Florio is wrong on that point.
I wasn't really talking about tolling, just the fantasy angle of when he will have the ability to suit up.

Whether they play him or not and how that impacts his status for next season is a completely different issue.

The exchange was about what the Chargers will do, i.e., real football, not fantasy football. In real football, Gordon is not close to a top 2 RB in the league, and he never has been.
Lol. You've made your opinion very clear that you think ekeler is some how better then Gordon. Last time I checked when you are the rb2 in fantasy your stats in real life are pretty good.

Lol. You've made your opinion very clear that you think ekeler is some how better then Gordon. Last time I checked when you are the rb2 in fantasy your stats in real life are pretty good.
Your first comment I responded to said the Chargers are 1-2 and trying to win. What does that have to do with stats or fantasy football?

Ekeler is one of the best players the Chargers have on offense, and they should continue to use him quite a bit.

What are you using to determine that the rb play hasn’t been a problem this year? Is it possibly their....stats? Or is this simply a JWB eye test scenario?
Fair point, and well played. My objection is to referencing fantasy stats and attempting to correlate that to team decision-making on player usage.

Ekeler is one of the best playmakers the Chargers have on their roster. That is shown by his stats, his PFF grade, the eye test, and whatever else you want to use. The Chargers are not in position to stop using him. I assume his rushing attempts (more than 12 per game) will drop as Gordon is reinserted, but they shouldn't drop to zero, and his usage in the passing game shouldn't drop at all, since he is clearly better in that phase than Gordon.

:shrug:  

Fair point, and well played. My objection is to referencing fantasy stats and attempting to correlate that to team decision-making on player usage.

Ekeler is one of the best playmakers the Chargers have on their roster. That is shown by his stats, his PFF grade, the eye test, and whatever else you want to use. The Chargers are not in position to stop using him. I assume his rushing attempts (more than 12 per game) will drop as Gordon is reinserted, but they shouldn't drop to zero, and his usage in the passing game shouldn't drop at all, since he is clearly better in that phase than Gordon.

:shrug:  
Largely agree. Certainly agree on the first point about fantasy stats not always reflecting real life ability. I think Ekeler does stay the passing back but he ends up losing some receptions compared to what he’s getting now purely because he won’t be on the field as much. They want/need Melvin to pound between the tackles while also being a more than viable passing threat so he ends up with the bulk of the snaps once he’s in game shape. Ekeler averaged roughly 7 touches per game last year prior to Melvin’s injury. I think he ends up around 10 a game while Melvin settles in the 16-18 range. 

Users who are viewing this thread