What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Melvin Gordon, BAL (2 Viewers)

I’m just going to say it, but the Chargers are asking for trouble if using Gordon so soon, regardless of facing the pathetic Dolphins. He missed training camp and the preseason so his odds on getting hurt is higher than normal. I’m guessing leadership didn’t learn when Gordon hurt his right knee last year vs. Arizona, knowing his other knee was bugging him, with the game under control. Unlucky things do happen in football and it always targets his knees. In 2015, he got hurt just by rushing for a yard vs. the Dolphins. Yes, it was a knee injury.

But hey, the Chargers love taking risks so let’s see what happens. If I had Gordon on my fantasy team, I wouldn’t be starting him this week unless there’s no option left.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an outsider, I would definitely not play him this week. Game shape, as Maurile alluded to, seems to be a very real thing at the professional level. 

12 touches, 81 yds, TD

Mike Pouncey will tear a hole thru the middle of the Phins pathetic defense and both RBs for LAC should have success. Second level runs and maybe one or two from long distance. 

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, "there's a good chance" Melvin Gordon makes his season debut Sunday against the Dolphins.

Gordon only has two practices under his belt, but the Chargers are thin at running back after losing Justin Jackson to a calf injury earlier this week. While Gordon isn't ready to step into a workhorse role, the Chargers will likely sprinkle him in to "get his feet wet" in what equates to an exhibition game Sunday against the lowly Dolphins. Fantasy owners can still start Austin Ekeler with confidence in Week 4, though soon he'll be playing second fiddle to Gordon.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Sep 27, 2019, 10:32 PM ET

Would make more sense to keep him on the sidelines for most of the game and run ekeler until his cleats wear down flat. No need to save Ekeler for anything. 
Makes more sense to judge his conditioning over the practices (which they did and he went from not playing to playing based on it being good enough to do so) and also judge it during the game. Let him run one or two times and bring him off the field and see where he is at. To make the determination in the game and keep an eye on his status seems the best course.

I’m just going to say it, but the Chargers are asking for trouble if using Gordon so soon, regardless of facing the pathetic Dolphins. He missed training camp and the preseason so his odds on getting hurt is higher than normal. I’m guessing leadership didn’t learn when Gordon hurt his right knee last year vs. Arizona, knowing his other knee was bugging him, with the game under control. Unlucky things do happen in football and it always targets his knees. In 2015, he got hurt just by rushing for a yard vs. the Dolphins. Yes, it was a knee injury.

But hey, the Chargers love taking risks so let’s see what happens. If I had Gordon on my fantasy team, I wouldn’t be starting him this week unless there’s no option left.
Absolutely this.

If ownership and the coaching staff really need this guy to make a playoff push, playing Gordon would be completely irresponsible.

The PR backlash that would emerge if he tore his ACL would be insane. They'd look like buffoons.

And Gordon himself would look like the biggest buffoon. Yeah, let's try and hold out most of the year, then I see Ekeler making my decision look silly, and now I totally screw myself with injury.

Lot of dumb going on if Gordon plays. At all.

Just traded Conner and Samuels for Melvin and DJax (I have Wentz too). Don't have Ekeler but I kind of hope they do NOT play Melvin this week. I'd put him in bubble wrap if I was them. If they can't beat the Dolphins without him, then they have other issues.

Hopefully schefter will clarify if Gordon will be active but break glass in emergency active vs. 10 touches active

Game time temp at 1pm will be 87. Factor in the high humidity - Ekler will need a breather.  SD needs this game. I think Gordon plays.

Absolutely this.

If ownership and the coaching staff really need this guy to make a playoff push, playing Gordon would be completely irresponsible.

The PR backlash that would emerge if he tore his ACL would be insane. They'd look like buffoons.

And Gordon himself would look like the biggest buffoon. Yeah, let's try and hold out most of the year, then I see Ekeler making my decision look silly, and now I totally screw myself with injury.

That's stupid, you play your players

Absolutely this.

The Chargers shouldn't care at all about Gordon.  He selfishly held out and everyone knows he won't be with the team next year.  

The backlash if they lose to Miami would also be bad especially if Gordon doesn't play.

Chargers just lost 1 good RB for what is looking like several weeks in Jackson...I don't see them wanting to run either of these guys into the ground. That said, snap count so far has ben about 70/30 Ekeler vs JJ, you can discuss why those numbers are what they are but it feels like LAC in general likes to use 1 RB vs a RBBC so a 50/50 split unlikely. 

Gordon will see 25-30% of the snaps IMHO, same as JJ and will get somewhere around 10-12 touches, whatever the yds, 50/50 on a TD because it's Miami.\

What happens next week? We can argue about it M-F but this weekend I think Gordon will see close to what JJ was doing in terms of snaps. Once the game is out of control if it gets to that point...I doubt you see either RB, some practice squad guy will enter the game and blast a 50 yd TD vs the pathetic Phins, at which point that RB becomes the new Unicorn for the Chargers backfield. 

I might have considered starting him over Royce Freeman this week, but Davante Adams spotted me a 33 point lead over an 0-3 team, so I feel good taking a wait-and-see stance.

Barring injury, I think Ekeler keeps most of his role and Gordon slots into Jackson's spot for the rest of the year.
I mean, I think its completely reasonable to suggest this will be the case this week, maybe even 2-3 weeks, especially if Ekeler continues tearing up, and the Chargers offense is highly successful. That said, it'd be pretty shocking if Ekeler held Gordon off beyond that. I will say, its a non-zero chance that Ekeler is the RB to own going forward(in PPR leagues anyway) but its not the most likely outcome.

With the way the rest of the offense(other than Allen) is dropping like flies, its very possible that both Gordon and Ekeler can see 15+ touches a week, though that would involve some creative play calling, and sets. Its not unheard of though. Since 2000 the following tandems have each finished as top-20 RB's:

2016 Falcons: Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman

2009 Panthers: DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart

2018 Bears: Jordan Howard and Tarik Cohen

2013 Lions: Joique Bell and Reggie Bush

2006 Jaguars: Fred Taylor and Maurice Jones-Drew

2006 Saints: Deuce McAllister and Reggie Bush

2017 Saints: Alvin Kamara and Mark Ingram

2008 Titans: Chris Johnson and LenDale White

In my opinion the most similar comparison to the current Chargers backfield, would be either the 2006 Jaguars, or the 2006 Saints. The Jags had a workhorse RB, who had a rough injury history, and an explosive younger RB, who kept defenses on their toes. The 2006 Saints had a workhorse RB, who was on his way out, and a young RB, who excelled in the passing game and was the future of the position for the team.

Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe the split will be what it was in 2018, but I can't help but think Ekeler is needed to do more, and has more than earned it. I'd still rather have Gordon going forward, but I believe there is room for low-end RB2 production for Ekeler, with low-end RB1 production for Gordon.

In saying that, I'll defer to Chargers homers, but is it feasible, given that their #2 pass catcher is currently Dontrelle Inman? 

Barring injury, I think Ekeler keeps most of his role and Gordon slots into Jackson's spot for the rest of the year.
As an Ekeler owner I hope you're right, but I think you're most likely dead wrong here.

Lynn has been sending every possible signal that MG is the lead dog. First no exemption list, then we went from maybe there's a chance MG is playing to he is now active. If MG gets double digit carries today after a layoff with only a day or two of practice, well, that will just about do it.

Ian Rapoport in Twitter:

"Two notes on #Chargers RB Melvin Gordon: 1. The plan is for him to be active but only used in an emergency"

The other is just how he worked out with Golden Tate and he says he's on a mission.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Melvin Gordon will be active for Week 4 against the Dolphins but will only play in an "emergency."

travdogg said:
I mean, I think its completely reasonable to suggest this will be the case this week, maybe even 2-3 weeks, especially if Ekeler continues tearing up, and the Chargers offense is highly successful. That said, it'd be pretty shocking if Ekeler held Gordon off beyond that. I will say, its a non-zero chance that Ekeler is the RB to own going forward(in PPR leagues anyway) but its not the most likely outcome.

With the way the rest of the offense(other than Allen) is dropping like flies, its very possible that both Gordon and Ekeler can see 15+ touches a week, though that would involve some creative play calling, and sets. Its not unheard of though. Since 2000 the following tandems have each finished as top-20 RB's:

2016 Falcons: Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman

2009 Panthers: DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart

2018 Bears: Jordan Howard and Tarik Cohen

2013 Lions: Joique Bell and Reggie Bush

2006 Jaguars: Fred Taylor and Maurice Jones-Drew

2006 Saints: Deuce McAllister and Reggie Bush

2017 Saints: Alvin Kamara and Mark Ingram

2008 Titans: Chris Johnson and LenDale White

In my opinion the most similar comparison to the current Chargers backfield, would be either the 2006 Jaguars, or the 2006 Saints. The Jags had a workhorse RB, who had a rough injury history, and an explosive younger RB, who kept defenses on their toes. The 2006 Saints had a workhorse RB, who was on his way out, and a young RB, who excelled in the passing game and was the future of the position for the team.

Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe the split will be what it was in 2018, but I can't help but think Ekeler is needed to do more, and has more than earned it. I'd still rather have Gordon going forward, but I believe there is room for low-end RB2 production for Ekeler, with low-end RB1 production for Gordon.

In saying that, I'll defer to Chargers homers, but is it feasible, given that their #2 pass catcher is currently Dontrelle Inman? 
You forgot the best example. In 2013, Woodhead was RB12 and Mathews was RB17 playing under OC Whisenhunt for the Chargers. Woodhead had 106 carries and 88 targets; Mathews had 285 carries and 33 targets. Obviously, Whisenhunt is the current Chargers OC. 

Could be a close game, based on the SD injuries on offense. If it's a close game late, I could see Gordon getting some carries, especially near the GL. 

Starting Chris Thompson over him in a 1 pt ppr league. Why would they want to use him for more than 5-6 carries in what will probably be a lopsided win for the Chargers. 

Any of you smart guys have insight on where our boy is going next?

Staying with the Chargers obviously will have the best outcome - but so you think he will leave? 

How do you see he’s fantasy life unfolding if he leaves? 

How many touches this week are we predicting? I have a bad feeling he'll be eased in and I may need to start him in one league.

Zeke had 14 touches in 3 quarters before being pulled in a blowout after reporting the Wednesday before his game. Gordon gets a whole extra week of practice. Of course he missed an extra month and didn’t train in CABO. I’ll say he gets around 15.

How many touches this week are we predicting? I have a bad feeling he'll be eased in and I may need to start him in one league.
With how well Ekeler is playing, and how poorly the Broncos have played, I think they'll continue to take it slow-ish with Gordon. I'd expect Ekeler to play more than Gordon this week. Maybe 60-40. So 18 touches for Ekeler and 12 for Gordon?

Users who are viewing this thread