Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***Official Melvin "Flash" Gordon*** Thread of Love

True story. Melvin Gordon has been in the league 5 years and only one year has he run for more YPC then Ronald Jones did last year and only one year did he average more yards per catch then Ronald Jones did last year.

I don't think Ronald Jones was the problem last year. Arian's stubborn reliance on Barber was the issue.

Maybe Arians won't come around on Jones but not sure Tampa is as such a great spot if he is slow building up Jones role. I know Arians had said he wants to add a RB and wants one who can do things in the passing game. I just think they want a complement to Jones, not a replacement.  I might be wrong but just don't get the feeling a high paid RB is on their priority list.

If  Tampa paid Gordon a bunch of money that's a good indicator of a big role so I'd come around but I'm not really seeing it right now as a great spot.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am taking him at 6 or 7. It's pretty simple, there are only 4 or 5 other RBs likely to be on the field and get as many carries and targets as Gordon. 

Well based on these stats Ekeler owners have nothing to worry about.  Gordon is clearly an inferior back.

Typical guppy. Waaah, waaah, you cry, this game is too hard! Sorry son, but I don't have to dumb down The Sport just so noobs like you have a chance at keeping up. I play in a $4,000 en

25 minutes ago, menobrown said:

True story. Melvin Gordon has been in the league 5 years and only one year has he run for more YPC then Ronald Jones did last year and only one year did he average more yards per catch then Ronald Jones did last year.

I don't think Ronald Jones was the problem last year. Arian's stubborn reliance on Barber was the issue.

Maybe Arians won't come around on Jones but not sure Tampa is as such a great spot if he is slow building up Jones role. I know Arians had said he wants to add a RB and wants one who can do things in the passing game. I just think they want a complement to Jones, not a replacement.  I might be wrong but just don't get the feeling a high paid RB is on their priority list.

If  Tampa paid Gordon a bunch of money that's a good indicator of a big role so I'd come around but I'm not really seeing it right now as a great spot.

As someone who watched every Tampa game, Ronald Jones is still too small for the lead RB spot in the NFL.  He was bigger than last year, but he still needs to grow more mass.  That is why Barber got the playing time.  Someone had to absorb those hits.  The good news is Jones is still young and can still grow.

I don't think that changes much though.  If they sign Gordon, he will be the bell cow and Jones will be the backup.   

1 minute ago, Hairy Snowman said:

As someone who watched every Tampa game, Ronald Jones is still too small for the lead RB spot in the NFL.  He was bigger than last year, but he still needs to grow more mass.  That is why Barber got the playing time.  Someone had to absorb those hits.  The good news is Jones is still young and can still grow.

I don't think that changes much though.  If they sign Gordon, he will be the bell cow and Jones will be the backup.   

I watched every Tampa game as well because I was heavily invested in them and I don't have your same conclusion. Thought Jones had plenty of mass, ran hard and physical inside,  but made a few mistakes from time to time and Arians just has no patience with him. I did not see his size impact him in any way.

I think it's just Arians being as stubborn as he was when it took Chris Johnson and Andre Ellington to both get hurt for him to turn to David Johnson.  Arians is a great offensive mind but he can stubborn and inflexible and Barber getting that much usage was borderline coaching malpractice.

I would agree however if they sign Gordon he'd be the main guy because you don't give a guy $8-10M to be the backup and I still think Gordon can get that for at least first two years of a deal.

14 minutes ago, menobrown said:

I watched every Tampa game as well because I was heavily invested in them and I don't have your same conclusion. Thought Jones had plenty of mass, ran hard and physical inside,  but made a few mistakes from time to time and Arians just has no patience with him. I did not see his size impact him in any way.

I think it's just Arians being as stubborn as he was when it took Chris Johnson and Andre Ellington to both get hurt for him to turn to David Johnson.  Arians is a great offensive mind but he can stubborn and inflexible and Barber getting that much usage was borderline coaching malpractice.

I would agree however if they sign Gordon he'd be the main guy because you don't give a guy $8-10M to be the backup and I still think Gordon can get that for at least first two years of a deal.

Curious if you are invested in Jones?  I have him a few places.  I think Jones compares favorably to CJ or Ellington or even more so IMO Miles Sanders.  IMHO Neither CJ nor Ellingotn nor Sanders have the lower body to be a lead back in the NFL.  At least not for long.  Hence why CJ basically survived only one full season intact. 

I think Gordon compares to a Jamaal Charles or maybe a faster Lawrence Maroney.  But a bigger build than Charles and a different running style than Maroney.  

Edited by Hairy Snowman
1 minute ago, Hairy Snowman said:

Curious if you are invested in Jones?  I have him a few places.  I think Jones compares favorably to CJ or Ellington or even more so IMO Miles Sanders.  IMHO Neither CJ nor Ellingotn nor Sanders have the lower body to be a lead back in the NFL.  At least not for long.  Hence why CJ basically survived only one full season intact. 

I think Gordon compares to a Jamaal Charles or maybe a faster Lawrence Maroney.  But a bigger build and a different running style.  

I own Jones in my two lowest dollar entry fantasy leagues out of 8 leagues I'm in total. If you think my take is based on ownership it's not and never is. I don't own a lot of Tampa players in dynasty, but was loaded up on Evans/Godwin and Winston in redraft last year so watched a lot of Tampa but I also watch most games every week.

CJ? Chris Johnson? CJ2K? We talking about the same guy? He literally did not miss a game until injury until that game I referenced when he was an Arizona Cardinal which was the 11th game of the 8th season of his career. He was not always a full time player but he had 6 1,000 yard plus seasons in that time.

Using CJ as a comp vs Gordon to state a case of sustained durability or production is really just an odd stance to me. Gordon has played 16 games once, granted last year he did not miss time to injuries, and had one 1,000 yard season. I'm not sure I see the correlation to size, performance and durability when using these players as comps.

I don't think Gordon is remotely like Jamaal Charles. He's actually been a pretty mediocre runner most of his career in terms of both ypc and total rushing yardage and that's even if you prorated him out to 16 games and ignored his rookie season. He's been a fantasy stud because if you remove his rookie season when he was not good for fantasy and prorate his production to 16 games to account for all of his missed games he averages 66 catches and 14 TD's. Elite fantasy player at times, not an elite real life NFL RB.

4 minutes ago, menobrown said:

I own Jones in my two lowest dollar entry fantasy leagues out of 8 leagues I'm in total. If you think my take is based on ownership it's not and never is. I don't own a lot of Tampa players in dynasty, but was loaded up on Evans/Godwin and Winston in redraft last year so watched a lot of Tampa but I also watch most games every week.

CJ? Chris Johnson? CJ2K? We talking about the same guy? He literally did not miss a game until injury until that game I referenced when he was an Arizona Cardinal which was the 11th game of the 8th season of his career. He was not always a full time player but he had 6 1,000 yard plus seasons in that time.

Using CJ as a comp vs Gordon to state a case of sustained durability or production is really just an odd stance to me. Gordon has played 16 games once, granted last year he did not miss time to injuries, and had one 1,000 yard season. I'm not sure I see the correlation to size, performance and durability when using these players as comps.

I don't think Gordon is remotely like Jamaal Charles. He's actually been a pretty mediocre runner most of his career in terms of both ypc and total rushing yardage and that's even if you prorated him out to 16 games and ignored his rookie season. He's been a fantasy stud because if you remove his rookie season when he was not good for fantasy and prorate his production to 16 games to account for all of his missed games he averages 66 catches and 14 TD's. Elite fantasy player at times, not an elite real life NFL RB.

I disagree, but that is ok.  I can agree to disagree on the eval. 

15 minutes ago, Hairy Snowman said:

I disagree, but that is ok.  I can agree to disagree on the eval. 

Sure thing and one thing we can agree on we both probably can't wait for this time next week when we actually know were players are landing.

• Like 1

ESPN's Cameron Wolfe reports the Dolphins have interest in free agent Melvin Gordon.

The Chargers won't be re-signing Gordon, but his free-agent landing spot remains up in the air. Miami would be an obvious fit for Gordon as the most running back needy team in the league. Gordon has said he would play for the Dolphins "for the right price." Gordon turned down $10 million annually during his holdout, but his value is down coming off a middling 2019. Signing with Miami would give Gordon his best chance at an every-down role.

RELATED: 

Miami Dolphins

SOURCE: ESPN

Mar 15, 2020, 11:09 AM ET

11 minutes ago, The Frankman said:

That's dumb by Miami and Gordon. Melvin can pick between teams who are in the hunt now, not 3 years away. Why if you're Miami would you pay a RB when you're not close/you can draft one in a deep RB draft?

In reality, the Dolphins need 2 RBs.  So they could sign Gordon and draft someone.  Nobody should pay him more than $5-6M per year.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Alex P Keaton said:

In reality, the Dolphins need 2 RBs.  So they could sign Gordon and draft someone.  Nobody should pay him more than $5-6M per year.

Gaskins or Laird could serve as a 2nd RB, they're not devoid of talent. Also I've always liked drafting a young RB and signing a vet bruiser who can pass block; Frank Gore will be available and is cheap, same with Carlos Hyde.

Edited by The Frankman
4 minutes ago, The Frankman said:

Gaskins or Laird could serve as a 2nd RB, they're not devoid of talent. Also I've always liked drafting a young RB and signing a vet bruiser who can pass block; Frank Gore will be available and is cheap, same with Carlos Hyde.

If you’re drafting/starting a rookie QB the last thing you want is another rookie back there, or some second rate talent that won’t take any pressure off. 

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Snorkelson said:

If you’re drafting/starting a rookie QB the last thing you want is another rookie back there, or some second rate talent that won’t take any pressure off. 

Exactly. If there's enough money to spend then it's going somewhere, either way. Certainly depends on cost, though. I don't think he's going to be a day 1 signing because he may still feel like he's worth more than teams will pay.

6 hours ago, The Frankman said:

That's dumb by Miami and Gordon. Melvin can pick between teams who are in the hunt now, not 3 years away. Why if you're Miami would you pay a RB when you're not close/you can draft one in a deep RB draft?

I don't think the dolphins veiw themselves as that far away. Rebuilds happen fast in the NFL. That division looking more vulnerable than it has in years.

• Like 1

Dolphins sign Jordan Howard for 2yr/$10+Mil so I doubt that's backup $ at the RB position at least. It kind of makes you wonder if they offered any other FA RB that money but he balked.

About the ONLY destination I see in the NFL for Gordon to be anything other than a RBBC guy is TB(assuming they don't plan on drafting someone). Maybe ATL, if they are eager to jump in and repeat the mistake they made with Freeman. It would be pretty funny if he went to the division rival donkeys to split time with Lindsay on a cheap contract. He attended WI so maybe he could go to GB and backup Aaron Jones? But that would be such an embarrassingly small contract he'd be better off just signing for the minimum and playing for KC/SEA for a year.

The only rumor of any interest I've heard is MIA. Anyone else hear any other teams showing any interest at all? PHI showed some interest last year.

Think he's kicking himself just a little bit for not accepting the Chargers' alleged offer of $10 million per year (not sure how many years though)? He and/or his agent severely overvalued the market for RBs, particularly with so many good ones entering the rookie draft.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, zamboni said:

Think he's kicking himself just a little bit for not accepting the Chargers' alleged offer of $10 million per year (not sure how many years though)? He and/or his agent severely overvalued the market for RBs, particularly with so many good ones entering the rookie draft.

I expect he'll sit on the market until he warms up to the idea of 5-7M per year on a 2 year deal. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up with a 1 year prove-it deal at something like 4M.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Flying Elvis said:

I expect he'll sit on the market until he warms up to the idea of 5-7M per year on a 2 year deal. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up with a 1 year prove-it deal at something like 4M.

Jordan Howard just got 2 yr / 10 M, he's gotta at least do better than that. Unless he just won't take it for pride reasons.

6 minutes ago, Tool said:

Jordan Howard just got 2 yr / 10 M, he's gotta at least do better than that. Unless he just won't take it for pride reasons.

Not necessarily. Outside of Atlanta and maybe TB, there aren't many teams likely looking for a starting RB and prefer not to risk going the rookie route.

It's all about supply and demand.  

Edited by zamboni
3 hours ago, zamboni said:

Not necessarily. Outside of Atlanta and maybe TB, there aren't many teams likely looking for a starting RB and prefer not to risk going the rookie route.

It's all about supply and demand.  

Coleman took 2 years and 10 mil late in free agency last year.....Gordon got bad advice from his agent, or himself for that matter

• Like 1

I mean he made a mistake in overvaluing himself, but almost have to feel bad for him. His average earnings over 5 years is $3M per year.  He's been pretty durable and has been one of the top guys at his position. He's turning 27 next month and prob has 2-3 more years left.

1 hour ago, kodycutter said:

Matt Parrino

@MattParrino

A source tells me the #Bills have spoken to Melvin Gordon's reps and there's interest on both sides. Stay tuned #BillsMafia. On the heels of the Stefon Diggs trade, adding Gordon would be something.

link

I can see this happening, much to the dismay of Singletary owners.

2 minutes ago, zamboni said:

I can see this happening, much to the dismay of Singletary owners.

Devin Singletary may never set Football Outsiders's new mark of worst athletic testing for an RB with the most tangible successes. Ahmad Bradshaw may retain that role. 

11 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Devin Singletary may never set Football Outsiders's new mark of worst athletic testing for an RB with the most tangible successes. Ahmad Bradshaw may retain that role. 

Favorite quote on him...."ran like he was angry at the ground"

• Like 1
  • Laughing 2

New York Upstate reports the Bills are interested in free agent RB Melvin Gordon.

Gordon has been greeted by a frigid market, but the Bills remain one of the league's most run-committed teams. The Bills never seemed completely sold on tackle-breaker Devin Singletary as a rookie, but they did ramp up his workloads down the stretch. For what it's worth, NFL Network's Mike Garafolo has reported Gordon is unlikely to land in Buffalo.

RELATED: 

Buffalo Bills

SOURCE: NYup.com

Mar 19, 2020, 5:59 PM ET

I’d love to see Gordon in an offense with an excellent OLine.  He’s not a creator, but he can be dynamic when given room.  He’s better than his numbers IMO, due to playing behind such bad lines his entire Charger career. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Dr. Dan said:

Singletary truthers would say this is a smoke screen and Singletary is the man

Everybody needs a backup. Singletary showed a lot more last year than Gordon did so I'm not sure Gordon and his agent would want an honest competition in that backfield.

9 hours ago, tommyGunZ said:

I’d love to see Gordon in an offense with an excellent OLine.  He’s not a creator, but he can be dynamic when given room.  He’s better than his numbers IMO, due to playing behind such bad lines his entire Charger career. 

So what you are saying is if Gordon was in a situation where almost any NFL RB would succeed, you can see Gordon succeeding? I agree with that.

• Laughing 2
57 minutes ago, BoltBacker said:

So what you are saying is if Gordon was in a situation where almost any NFL RB would succeed, you can see Gordon succeeding? I agree with that.

On the flipside, how many RBs do you think would be successful behind the Chargers O-line?

I am honestly surprised the Lions haven't made a run at him. They need a RB to pair with Kerryon and they just seem like the type of team who would want to bring in a guy like Gordon. I actually hope they do so they don't waste the 3rd of round 2 on one. 

20 minutes ago, zamboni said:

Gurley just got a one year deal with the Falcons. Gordon needs to keep his demands in check.

Gurley also has his Rams contract with guaranteed money on it so he didn't need to break the bank on this contract.

Just now, Dr. Octopus said:

Gurley also has his Rams contract with guaranteed money on it so he didn't need to break the bank on this contract.

Fair point, although the market is the market and I doubt that prospective teams looking at Gordon's relative value will take Gurley's financial situation into account.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, zamboni said:

Fair point, although the market is the market and I doubt that prospective teams looking at Gordon's relative value will take Gurley's financial situation into account.

Yup. 
Gordon should have taken the deal from LA last season.  His agent is a moron.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, daveR said:

On the flipside, how many RBs do you think would be successful behind the Chargers O-line?

Ekeler (career 4.8 ypc on 285 carries) and Justin Jackson (career 5.1 ypc on 79 carries) have been successful over the past 2-3 seasons. Granted, those are small sample sizes compared to Gordon, but they have both been better than Gordon behind the same OL.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Alex P Keaton said:

Yup. 
Gordon should have taken the deal from LA last season.  His agent is a moron.

Yup...pretty simple one here...the Gordon camp could not have screwed this up more...that $ is gone...he will never, ever get that back...he had a chance for a very good contract as far as RBs go and they let ego get in the way.

2 minutes ago, Boston said:

Yup...pretty simple one here...the Gordon camp could not have screwed this up more...that $ is gone...he will never, ever get that back...he had a chance for a very good contract as far as RBs go and they let ego get in the way.

At what point will these RBs and their agents understand that the world has changed?

16 minutes ago, Alex P Keaton said:

At what point will these RBs and their agents understand that the world has changed?

I think Zeke, Gurley, Bell and Freeman gave them hope that things were changing but right now Gurley and Freeman have been cut and it appears the Jets regretted the Bell signing about three weeks into the season...Zeke is the only one left standing and he is a H-o-F level back but even he has a few years left before the Cowboys know it won't backfire...RBs need to get that legit contract as fast as they can because they may only have one opportunity to get it don't haggle for a few million because it could cost you 20 million.