What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Melvin Gordon, BAL (1 Viewer)

That's dumb by Miami and Gordon. Melvin can pick between teams who are in the hunt now, not 3 years away. Why if you're Miami would you pay a RB when you're not close/you can draft one in a deep RB draft?

That's dumb by Miami and Gordon. Melvin can pick between teams who are in the hunt now, not 3 years away. Why if you're Miami would you pay a RB when you're not close/you can draft one in a deep RB draft?
In reality, the Dolphins need 2 RBs.  So they could sign Gordon and draft someone.  Nobody should pay him more than $5-6M per year.

In reality, the Dolphins need 2 RBs.  So they could sign Gordon and draft someone.  Nobody should pay him more than $5-6M per year.
Gaskins or Laird could serve as a 2nd RB, they're not devoid of talent. Also I've always liked drafting a young RB and signing a vet bruiser who can pass block; Frank Gore will be available and is cheap, same with Carlos Hyde.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gaskins or Laird could serve as a 2nd RB, they're not devoid of talent. Also I've always liked drafting a young RB and signing a vet bruiser who can pass block; Frank Gore will be available and is cheap, same with Carlos Hyde.
If you’re drafting/starting a rookie QB the last thing you want is another rookie back there, or some second rate talent that won’t take any pressure off. 

If you’re drafting/starting a rookie QB the last thing you want is another rookie back there, or some second rate talent that won’t take any pressure off. 
Exactly. If there's enough money to spend then it's going somewhere, either way. Certainly depends on cost, though. I don't think he's going to be a day 1 signing because he may still feel like he's worth more than teams will pay.

I don't think the dolphins veiw themselves as that far away. Rebuilds happen fast in the NFL. That division looking more vulnerable than it has in years.

Dolphins sign Jordan Howard for 2yr/$10+Mil so I doubt that's backup $ at the RB position at least. It kind of makes you wonder if they offered any other FA RB that money but he balked.

About the ONLY destination I see in the NFL for Gordon to be anything other than a RBBC guy is TB(assuming they don't plan on drafting someone). Maybe ATL, if they are eager to jump in and repeat the mistake they made with Freeman. It would be pretty funny if he went to the division rival donkeys to split time with Lindsay on a cheap contract. He attended WI so maybe he could go to GB and backup Aaron Jones? But that would be such an embarrassingly small contract he'd be better off just signing for the minimum and playing for KC/SEA for a year.

The only rumor of any interest I've heard is MIA. Anyone else hear any other teams showing any interest at all? PHI showed some interest last year.

Think he's kicking himself just a little bit for not accepting the Chargers' alleged offer of $10 million per year (not sure how many years though)? He and/or his agent severely overvalued the market for RBs, particularly with so many good ones entering the rookie draft.

Think he's kicking himself just a little bit for not accepting the Chargers' alleged offer of $10 million per year (not sure how many years though)? He and/or his agent severely overvalued the market for RBs, particularly with so many good ones entering the rookie draft.
I expect he'll sit on the market until he warms up to the idea of 5-7M per year on a 2 year deal. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up with a 1 year prove-it deal at something like 4M.

I expect he'll sit on the market until he warms up to the idea of 5-7M per year on a 2 year deal. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up with a 1 year prove-it deal at something like 4M.
Jordan Howard just got 2 yr / 10 M, he's gotta at least do better than that. Unless he just won't take it for pride reasons.

Jordan Howard just got 2 yr / 10 M, he's gotta at least do better than that. Unless he just won't take it for pride reasons.
Not necessarily. Outside of Atlanta and maybe TB, there aren't many teams likely looking for a starting RB and prefer not to risk going the rookie route.

It's all about supply and demand.  

zamboni said:
Not necessarily. Outside of Atlanta and maybe TB, there aren't many teams likely looking for a starting RB and prefer not to risk going the rookie route.

It's all about supply and demand.  
Coleman took 2 years and 10 mil late in free agency last year.....Gordon got bad advice from his agent, or himself for that matter

Wherever he goes, he's likely going to mess up the fantasy situation for the incumbent. If he can be had on the cheap, any number of teams would like to have him at that price. 

I mean he made a mistake in overvaluing himself, but almost have to feel bad for him. His average earnings over 5 years is $3M per year.  He's been pretty durable and has been one of the top guys at his position. He's turning 27 next month and prob has 2-3 more years left.

Matt Parrino

@MattParrino

A source tells me the #Bills have spoken to Melvin Gordon's reps and there's interest on both sides. Stay tuned #BillsMafia. On the heels of the Stefon Diggs trade, adding Gordon would be something.

link

Matt Parrino

@MattParrino

A source tells me the #Bills have spoken to Melvin Gordon's reps and there's interest on both sides. Stay tuned #BillsMafia. On the heels of the Stefon Diggs trade, adding Gordon would be something.

link
I can see this happening, much to the dismay of Singletary owners.

New York Upstate reports the Bills are interested in free agent RB Melvin Gordon.

Gordon has been greeted by a frigid market, but the Bills remain one of the league's most run-committed teams. The Bills never seemed completely sold on tackle-breaker Devin Singletary as a rookie, but they did ramp up his workloads down the stretch. For what it's worth, NFL Network's Mike Garafolo has reported Gordon is unlikely to land in Buffalo.

RELATED: 

Buffalo Bills

SOURCE: NYup.com

Mar 19, 2020, 5:59 PM ET

Hearing the Bill's were looking at less than 1/2 the amount Gordon and his agent are after.

Gordon is I'm serious trouble now that the main comps (Gurley / DJ) for huge RB contracts have been dumped.

Meanwhile, Jordan Howard is laughing all the way to the bank.

I’d love to see Gordon in an offense with an excellent OLine.  He’s not a creator, but he can be dynamic when given room.  He’s better than his numbers IMO, due to playing behind such bad lines his entire Charger career. 

tommyGunZ said:
I’d love to see Gordon in an offense with an excellent OLine.  He’s not a creator, but he can be dynamic when given room.  He’s better than his numbers IMO, due to playing behind such bad lines his entire Charger career. 
So what you are saying is if Gordon was in a situation where almost any NFL RB would succeed, you can see Gordon succeeding? I agree with that.

I am honestly surprised the Lions haven't made a run at him. They need a RB to pair with Kerryon and they just seem like the type of team who would want to bring in a guy like Gordon. I actually hope they do so they don't waste the 3rd of round 2 on one. 

On the flipside, how many RBs do you think would be successful behind the Chargers O-line?
Ekeler (career 4.8 ypc on 285 carries) and Justin Jackson (career 5.1 ypc on 79 carries) have been successful over the past 2-3 seasons. Granted, those are small sample sizes compared to Gordon, but they have both been better than Gordon behind the same OL.

Yup. 
Gordon should have taken the deal from LA last season.  His agent is a moron.
Yup...pretty simple one here...the Gordon camp could not have screwed this up more...that $ is gone...he will never, ever get that back...he had a chance for a very good contract as far as RBs go and they let ego get in the way.

Yup...pretty simple one here...the Gordon camp could not have screwed this up more...that $ is gone...he will never, ever get that back...he had a chance for a very good contract as far as RBs go and they let ego get in the way.
At what point will these RBs and their agents understand that the world has changed?

At what point will these RBs and their agents understand that the world has changed?
I think Zeke, Gurley, Bell and Freeman gave them hope that things were changing but right now Gurley and Freeman have been cut and it appears the Jets regretted the Bell signing about three weeks into the season...Zeke is the only one left standing and he is a H-o-F level back but even he has a few years left before the Cowboys know it won't backfire...RBs need to get that legit contract as fast as they can because they may only have one opportunity to get it don't haggle for a few million because it could cost you 20 million.

I think Zeke, Gurley, Bell and Freeman gave them hope that things were changing but right now Gurley and Freeman have been cut and it appears the Jets regretted the Bell signing about three weeks into the season...Zeke is the only one left standing and he is a H-o-F level back but even he has a few years left before the Cowboys know it won't backfire...RBs need to get that legit contract as fast as they can because they may only have one opportunity to get it don't haggle for a few million because it could cost you 20 million.
I think you’re right Gordon was prob mistakenly encouraged by the Zeke contract 

Dallas should be regretting the Zeke contract too. They did a very nice job being able to keep Dak and Cooper, and even sneak some solid vets like Ha Ha, but Elliott's contract perhaps prevented a long term deal for Dak, or a CB replacement for Jones, although they were right not to pay him what Miami gave. 

I wouldn't call Zeke a HOF level RB. He's in the perfect situation for RB production. Has he really been better than what DeMarco Murray was? More durable sure, but better? If Dallas were to swap Zeke for Gordon(for instance since its his thread)I think its likely the on field difference wouldn't be noticeable. 

The difference between the best RB, and replacement level, is smaller than it is at any position. I truly think a team could be fine at RB, never investing anything more than a day 3 pick at RB, and never signing a guy to a 2nd contract. These smaller contracts and dumping of larger contracts, are just teams finally realizing how little value the position has.

Per a few tweets, supposedly finalizing a deal with a team right now. Have seen a few reports it is Denver.

That's the only source I've seen. Guy is a sports reporter/anchor in Milwaukee, so not sure what special insight he has.

Dallas should be regretting the Zeke contract too. They did a very nice job being able to keep Dak and Cooper, and even sneak some solid vets like Ha Ha, but Elliott's contract perhaps prevented a long term deal for Dak, or a CB replacement for Jones, although they were right not to pay him what Miami gave. 

I wouldn't call Zeke a HOF level RB. He's in the perfect situation for RB production. Has he really been better than what DeMarco Murray was? More durable sure, but better? If Dallas were to swap Zeke for Gordon(for instance since its his thread)I think its likely the on field difference wouldn't be noticeable. 

The difference between the best RB, and replacement level, is smaller than it is at any position. I truly think a team could be fine at RB, never investing anything more than a day 3 pick at RB, and never signing a guy to a 2nd contract. These smaller contracts and dumping of larger contracts, are just teams finally realizing how little value the position has.
Agree with a lot of what you say but totally disagree with about not calling Zeke H-o-F worthy at this point in his career...he is 24 and look at the stats...they are on the path to being H-o-f worthy and maybe that is a better way to phrase it but there is zero doubt he an elite level RB...now whether you need an elite level back to win championships in the NFL is a totally different discussion.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/ElliEz00.htm

Users who are viewing this thread