What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Melvin Gordon, BAL (1 Viewer)

This guy is going to end up losing more money directly due to his decision making over the last 14 months than the money he was sitting out over.

It's a shame. He seems like a hard working likeable guy. If he's not careful he just might get the exact same contract that Lev Bell has just as he as always wanted.

Gordon is rated too high on CBSSports IMO - 11.5 in standard scoring. Especially with Lindsay back and doing well last week.

Disappointed the Broncos didn’t suspend him. I hope the NFL does. No one should drive drunk, especially those who have the means to afford not to. 
No team is going suspend a player until the league makes a decision. They'd just be double dipping. 

Eta: edit to mention obvious situations like Murder (Hernandez).

Last edited by a moderator:
No team is going suspend a player until the league makes a decision. They'd just be double dipping. 

Why is it double dipping? One is a legal matter; the other is a team disciplinary action. Two completely different things.

Conduct unbecoming has been used to suspend players who were cleared by the legal system in the past.

the Broncos would be well within their rights as an organization to suspend a player for a DUI just as any business can suspend an employee for such conduct.

They don’t *typically* take action until the legal system does, but that doesn’t mean they can’t. 

Why is it double dipping? One is a legal matter; the other is a team disciplinary action. Two completely different things.

Conduct unbecoming has been used to suspend players who were cleared by the legal system in the past.

the Broncos would be well within their rights as an organization to suspend a player for a DUI just as any business can suspend an employee for such conduct.

They don’t *typically* take action until the legal system does, but that doesn’t mean they can’t. 
From what I've seen if it's ambiguous, teams will not opt to lose a player voluntarily. 

It's not double dipping.  If the Broncos handed him a 3 game suspension, and the NFL said 4 games, he'd have to sit 4 games, not 7.

He said team vs. league.   Neither of those is the legal system.

He said team vs. league.   Neither of those is the legal system
oh - he’s quoted me talking abut courts vs team, so I was replying in context.

and the point holds. Team vs league would he two different suspensions. For a DUI the league typically waits for the courts.

but the team can discipline a player as well. And they did - just not enough.

it’s still not double dipping because the leaves suspension is not the same as the team suspension. 

Broncos' Melvin Gordon: Court date pushed back

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/broncos-melvin-gordon-court-date-pushed-back/

Gordon's court date for his Oct. 13 arrest on DUI and speeding charges has been moved from Friday to Dec. 14 at the request of his attorney, Mike Klis of 9News Denver reports.

Based on the recent NFL precedent for players who have faced similar charges, Gordon is likely to face a three-game suspension, but the league isn't expected to levy punishment on the running back until the legal process is resolved. With that in mind, it's possible that any potential suspension Gordon might face relating to his arrest may not have to be served until 2021. As Klis notes, the Broncos will have three games left on the schedule following Gordon's Dec. 14 court date.

This means Phillip Lindsay could be the starter in Weeks 15, 16 , and 17 since Gordon's court date is the day after their Week 14 game.  Gordon would play Week 14 and then serve his suspension over the last 3 weeks of the season.  Unless the Broncos are in the playoff hunt in which case he'll likely delay his court date again and serve his suspension next year.

If the Broncos are 5-8 after Week 14, they might not be mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.  But they'd be pretty close.  I wonder if Melvin would choose to serve his suspension during Weeks 15-17 if they are 5-8 and not officially eliminated?  The Broncos are 3-5 right now so 5-8 is their most likely position after Week 14.  6-7 is also a strong possibility and in which case I think Melvin would delay his court date and play.  Going 1-4 over the next 5 weeks would put Broncos at 4-9 and ensure Melvin serving his suspension over Weeks 15-17.

I wonder if Melvin is going to finagle this into a new contract.  He controls when his suspension is served.  Financially and contract wise, it is in Melvin's interests to serve the suspension this year.  The Broncos might have to pony up and give Melvin a verbal agreement that they'll redo his contract in the offseason in order to get him to delay his suspension until next year.  Maybe add one year to his contract and change his 2021 money into a signing bonus so he'll lose less money to his 3 lost paychecks.

EDIT: after looking at the AFC standings, they'll likely be officially eliminated at 5-8.  There are currently 9 teams with a 5-3 record or better in the AFC.  So 6-7 is the point at which it'll be interesting if Melvin plays or serves his suspension.

Melvin Gordon rushed 11 times for 46 yards in the Broncos' Week 10 loss to the Raiders.

Gordon now has 25 carries in his past three games combined, all of which saw the Broncos take an early deficit. He exited early in the game with an apparent ankle injury but returned shortly after and didn't seem to be hampered by the injury. The good news for Gordon is that he only ceded six carries to Phillip Lindsay and Royce Freeman including the touches they racked up on his one missed drive. He needs his team to stay competitive to be a viable fantasy option and that may not be the case versus Miami next week. Gordon is a low-floor RB3 option moving forward. 

- Rotoworld

Melvin Gordon rushed 15 times for 131 yards in Week 13 against the Chiefs.

This was his best game with the Broncos, with 107 yards against the Jets in Week 4 his previous season high. Even with the hot hand, Denver still kept Phillip Lindsay involved, giving him just one fewer carry. Gordon was also held out of the end-zone for the second straight week and fifth time in the last six games. With a matchup against a tough Miami defense in Week 14, Gordon will be a low-floor RB2.

Dec 6, 2020, 11:42 PM ET

Melvin Gordon's court case stemming from an October DUI charge has been moved to January 14. 

His court case was originally slated for today. The delay means Gordon likely won't face a suspension from the league this season. The NFL usually waits until court proceedings are finished before they hand down a punishment. Gordon could have faced a three-game suspension, wiping out the rest of his 2020 campaign. The veteran could begin the 2021 season on suspension. 

SOURCE: Mike Klis on Twitter 

Dec 14, 2020, 10:54 AM ET

Melvin Gordon (shoulder) would not have practiced Tuesday.

The Broncos did not actually practice, but they released an injury report ahead of Saturday's game against the Bills. It's a new issue for Gordon, who was not listed on the Week 14 report. We would expect Gordon to return on Wednesday and play Saturday, but that cannot be taken for granted based on the little amount of information we have right now. Gordon will be a middling but locked-in RB2 for the fantasy semis if he suits up. 

Dec 15, 2020, 4:09 PM ET

Melvin Gordon (shoulder) is questionable for Week 15 against the Bills.

Phillip Lindsay (hip) is also considered questionable. Even so, both are expected to play in a rough matchup opposite Buffalo's front-seven that has stuffed Austin Ekeler (14/44), Raheem Mostert (9/42), and James Conner (10/18) since returning healthy from its bye. Both Gordon and Lindsay fall in line as low-end RB2/3s that will need to get there on efficiency rather than volume to keep fantasy players alive for the Championship in Week 16.

SOURCE: Jeff Legwold on Twitter

Dec 17, 2020, 12:22 PM ET

Melvin Gordon rushed 11 times for 61 yards and two touchdowns and caught all four of his targets for 20 yards in Week 15 against Buffalo.

Gordon was the centerpiece of Denver's offense, accounting for 32 percent of their total yards and scoring two of their three touchdowns. He ended up the second leading receiver in a game Drew Lock threw for 132 yards. The Broncos gave  Phillip Lindsay the start this week, but Gordon ended up with the slight edge in touches. Gordon, who was listed questionable with a shoulder injury, looked fully healthy. He's a low-end RB2 for a Week 16 revenge game with the Chargers.

Dec 19, 2020, 8:24 PM ET

Melvin Gordon played 66 percent of the Broncos' offensive snaps in Week 16 against the Chargers. 

He saw 16 of the team's 21 running back carries with Lindsay sidelined, but didn't draw a single target. It was disappointing usage in a game that set up well for Gordon, who had dominated snaps and backfield touches when Lindsay has been out this season. Gordon will be an iffy RB2 option next week against the Raiders' suspect rush defense. 

RELATED: 

Phillip Lindsay

SOURCE: Mike Klis on Twitter 

Dec 28, 2020, 8:32 AM ET

Didn't realize Gordo needed a thread title update.

Melvin Gordon rushed 26 times for 93 yards and a touchdown in Week 17 against the Raiders.

Gordon had a workhorse role with Phillip Lindsay sidelined, getting 26 of Denver's 32 rushing attempts. It's potentially a glimpse of 2021 with Lindsay a restricted free agent. Gordon was the centerpiece of the Broncos offense down the stretch, totaling at least 70 yards in five straight games to close the season. He finishes with 986 yards on 215 carries (4.6 YPC) and 10 touchdowns. Gordon will return as a high-volume RB2 if the Broncos let Lindsay walk this offseason.

- Rotoworld

Gordon puts up numbers that are similar with that of 2019 Phillip Lindsey.  Wasted $$$ on the Broncos part?

Good for Gordon. He had a much better season than I would have predicted. TD's and receptions were right around what I expected, but I thought Lindsay would get more rushing yards on fewer carries running in easier circumstances between the 20's. Gordon is easy to root for and I hope he finishes his career on a better team with playoff hopes.

Really, without Gordon the broncos would have been so bad..... they might have even been able to draft a QB. Which kind of underlines the futility of signing a FA RB to even a moderately large contract. I can see spending on a top-5 type guy IF you think you have a chance to go deep into the playoffs. If you are a sub .500 spending that $ on a RB to turn the franchise around seems like malpractice. The move looks just as dumb to me as it did less than a year ago.

Melvin Gordon and his attorneys entered a not guilty plea to his October DUI charge.

It's an important development since Gordon could avoid a three-game suspension if he's not found guilty of a DUI. If suspended, he'd likely miss the first three games of the 2021 season. The sides' next hearing is a disposition on February 24, pre-trial on April 2, and jury trial (if necessary) on April 8.

SOURCE: Troy Renck on Twitter

Jan 14, 2021, 11:08 AM ET

DUI charges dismissed. Giddy-up!
NBC Sports Edge:

The DUI charges against Melvin Gordon have been dismissed "due to evidentiary concerns."

Gordon had plead guilty to reckless driving for excessive speeding. He was arrested in October and ticketed for going 25-39 MPH above the speed limit while intoxicated. Gordon will pay $479 in fines and court fees. It remains to be seen if or how the league will punish Gordon for the DUI arrest. 

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Mar 10, 2021, 10:49 AM ET

Gordon is not old, but high mileage for 27. He is a good 3rd down back and rushed for a shade under 1,000 while sharing time 60-40 with Lindsay (until Gordon earned a higher percentage and Lindsay became more the backup). I didn't think he looked as quick to me as when younger, but I see a good chance for 2 more years as a solid RB2 - or so I'm hoping. I don't see Boone as much threat, but would much rather see what the Donkeys do in the draft rather than commit to and spend on Gordon before that.

Gordon is not old, but high mileage for 27. He is a good 3rd down back and rushed for a shade under 1,000 while sharing time 60-40 with Lindsay (until Gordon earned a higher percentage and Lindsay became more the backup). I didn't think he looked as quick to me as when younger, but I see a good chance for 2 more years as a solid RB2 - or so I'm hoping. I don't see Boone as much threat, but would much rather see what the Donkeys do in the draft rather than commit to and spend on Gordon before that.
He’s definitely a tough guy to figure out. Only one 1K season with two years just under 1K (including last year as you mentioned).

Also a gaudy 4.6 YPC last year, so he was effective when healthy. The “if healthy” is definitely a factor, as he has had that issue in the past. 

Totally agree that what the Broncos do in the draft is critical. If they don’t add much at the RB position, Gordon may be one of those guys that slips under the radar and may be set up for a huge workload (with again the “if healthy” caveat).

I picked up Boone in both of my Leagues thinking if Gordon doesn't work out, gets hurt, etc. that Boone is cheap insurance right now. Later on........maybe not so cheap!

I think there is a strong possibility they pick one of the top 3 rb's if they don't use their 2 to trade for a qb.
Wow, if Gordon is making ~$9mil against the cap and they use a pick in the first two rounds on a RB they are admitting a huge, huge mistake signing him in the first place. Like a "Well, we offered Osweiller $15Mil/season and he turned us down" type mistake.

I think there is a strong possibility they pick one of the top 3 rb's if they don't use their 2 to trade for a qb.
I don’t.  I do think they draft a RB, but it will be mid to late rounds. If they don’t trade up for a QB, it will probably be LB, OL or CB just based on local radio talk. 

I don’t.  I do think they draft a RB, but it will be mid to late rounds. If they don’t trade up for a QB, it will probably be LB, OL or CB just based on local radio talk. 
I think OL or CB would be a better direction, but Boone is the only RB under contract beyond this year and Gordon's been a fairly ordinary player since returning from his hold out in 2019. Timing's right to get a year ahead, but only if they really like one of those 3. 

Well, he's right about that.

He got caught going 70-something mph in a 35mph zone and then failed a field sobriety test. The consequences of those actions? A whopping 12 hours of community service. That sounds "overlooked" and I don't even have any loved ones unfortunate to drive anywhere near where Gordon chooses to drive around drunk at maniacal speeds.

If he thinks life is awful now and he's treated terribly just wait until he retires. Or gets "retired" by a draft pick in the middle rounds in the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread