What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Melvin Gordon, BAL (5 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

Wisconsin RB Melvin Gordon III led the nation in missed tackles forced but finished only No. 6 in CFF's Elusive Rating.

The metric tries to isolate a runner's ability from his OL by weighting missed tackles and yards after contact against the RB’s touches. It's for that reason that MGIII falls a bit, as he had 343 touches last year (compared to 123 for Todd Gurley, who finished No. 1). "How many highly drafted running backs should get second contracts? That is a question analytics directors and general managers must ask in determining how early to select runners with shorter career spans," wrote Mike Sando. "Gordon's Speed Score was fifth in this class of backs, well below the 110 for first-round backs over the past decade, Football Outsiders has noted."

Source: ESPN Insider
Apr 22 - 8:16 PM
what was trent richardson's speed score?

Borden said:
Kool-Aid Larry said:
I'd take gordon over gurley
boom!!

http://podcast.footballguys.com/2015/Footballguys-Audible-2015-Vol22a.mp3 28:10

THE Bryan Perez backin' me up --- says gordon makes gurley look like a pile of puke

:hifive:
Just listened to that podcast today. :hifive:

I'm not sure about the Gurley as a pile of puke but clearly had Gordon as his #1. Compared Gurley to Steve Jackson and had Gordon as an AP level super star.

Had Duke Johnson (I think) as his number 2 RB in the draft.
I'm not looking to talk trash about analysts, but his when he said this on the podcast I was interested in checking out his work. I had to look up his 2014 rankings to see how he did last year and his performance wasn't all that great.

http://firstroundgrade.com/2014/06/20/2014-fantasy-football-rookie-running-backs/

Borden said:
Kool-Aid Larry said:
boom!!

THE Bryan Perez backin' me up --- says gordon makes gurley look like a pile of puke

Just listened to that podcast today. :hifive: I'm not sure about the Gurley as a pile of puke but clearly had Gordon as his #1. Compared Gurley to Steve Jackson and had Gordon as an AP level super star.

I'm not looking to talk trash about analysts, but his when he said this on the podcast I was interested in checking out his work. I had to look up his 2014 rankings to see how he did last year and his performance wasn't all that great.

http://firstroundgrade.com/2014/06/20/2014-fantasy-football-rookie-running-backs/
Thanks for posting... I was a bit shocked to hear that he had Gordon #1 and Gurley #3. I don't agree with him but I've been glad to see Gordon around pick 4-6 lately since I've been hoping to grab him at 4 after Gurley Cooper White. This type of attention pushes him into top 3.

Borden said:
Kool-Aid Larry said:
boom!!

Just listened to that podcast today. :hifive:

I'm not sure about the Gurley as a pile of puke but clearly had Gordon as his #1. Compared Gurley to Steve Jackson and had Gordon as an AP level super star.

Nice to see somebody be different, but you have to be right too.

Rotoworld:

An NFL scout said he is "highly impressed" with Wisconsin RB Melvin Gordon III, "but I don't take running backs in the first round."

"I like him," he said. "Guys like (Nebraska's) Randy Gregory shut it down in bowl games. Gordon played one of his better games the last game of the year (against Auburn). I think he likes the game." Despite the scout's RB bias, MGIII is expected to go in Round 1. "He could be a wow player," another scout said. "I worried a little bit about his top end (speed) and I didn't see him catch enough on tape." The Chargers, Lions, Cardinals and Cowboys are four potential future employers.

Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Rotoworld:

Melvin Gordon - RB - Badgers

Wisconsin RB Melvin Gordon III "is best-suited for a zone-blocking scheme," wrote ESPN's Todd McShay.

The analyst ranks him No. 23 overall. "He's at his best utilizing his vision and patience to identify creases and then sticking his foot in the ground and quickly accelerating upfield," McShay wrote. "He also has a great sense for cutback lanes and reading the second level of the defense to exploit linebackers or safeties who over-pursue." McShay is most concerned about Gordon's ball security, as the runner's 1.8 career fumble percentage is amongst the dregs of this year's class. McShay also expressed reservation over Gordon's pass-catching and pass protection.

Source: ESPN Insider

Apr 23 - 5:44 PM

Rotoworld:

According to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, there's a "very real possibility" that Wisconsin RB Melvin Gordon could be drafted by the Giants at No. 9.

The reporter is Bob McGinn, whose mock draft still sends Iowa T/G Brandon Scherff to the Giants. However, there is a possibility Scherff could be taken before the Giants go on the board, which might put Gordon into play at No. 9. We wouldn't bet on this happening, but also wouldn't fully rule it out.

Related: Giants

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel
Apr 30 - 4:25 PM

I'd call that a better landing spot than Gurley
Totally disagree.
Would you rather compete with Mason or Oliver? What makes StL better? Whose the coach in SD now? Do they prefer a 3down rb or by committee? Idk, but we know Jeff fisher likes 1 3-down rb
Neither of these guys are "competing" with anyone. They are clearly the best RB. St. L has the better oline. St. L has the better D. Gurley is the better talent. Fisher has visions of a supped up version of Eddie George running thru his head.

Rotoworld:

Chargers traded up with 49ers to select Wisconsin RB Melvin Gordon with the No. 15 overall pick in the 2015 draft.

In exchange for flipping first-round selections with the 49ers, San Diego is surrendering a 2015 fourth-round pick and 2016 fifth-rounder. Gordon will immediately slide in as Ryan Mathews' replacement. Gordon (6'1/215) succeeded Montee Ball as Wisconsin's bell-cow, parlaying 631 career carries into 4,915 yards (7.79 YPC!) and 45 touchdowns. On the flipside, he caught only 22 passes, and is a sub-par pass blocker on tape. "MG3" ran 4.52 at the Combine with a 35-inch vertical and explosive 10-foot-6 broad jump. Gordon has elite burst, but was stuffed for no yardage or a loss on nearly 20 percent of his college runs and has some qualities of a boom-or-bust back. He also fumbled once every 54.4 touches, the second highest fumble rate in the 2015 draft class. Still an exciting talent, Gordon projects best as a two-down runner with big-play ability.

Apr 30 - 9:50 PM

Totally disagree.
Would you rather compete with Mason or Oliver? What makes StL better? Whose the coach in SD now? Do they prefer a 3down rb or by committee? Idk, but we know Jeff fisher likes 1 3-down rb
Neither of these guys are "competing" with anyone. They are clearly the best RB. St. L has the better oline. St. L has the better D. Gurley is the better talent. Fisher has visions of a supped up version of Eddie George running thru his head.
Gordon will be taken off the field in passing situations. Which is almost half the snaps in the nfl? SD had one of the worst run blocking lines in the league last year and looks to be bringing it back with the addition of Franklin at guard. Genius.

How many receptions did Ryan Mathews have in college? How many did he have in his Rookie year?

Totally disagree.
Gordon will be taken off the field in passing situations. Which is almost half the snaps in the nfl? SD had one of the worst run blocking lines in the league last year and looks to be bringing it back with the addition of Franklin at guard. Genius.
Why do you say this?

Totally disagree.
Why do you say this?
SD offense loves Woodhead on the field in passing situations. Gordon has no demonstrated ability in either receiving or blocking even if Woodhead wasn't there.

Gordon has pretty good hands actually.

UW does not throw to their backs a lot though.

I love the landing spot for him.

Totally disagree.
Umm. STL was ranked 28 per PFF, SD was 26. I'd say both Run blocking units stink. STL lost Long. I will give you the passing down argument to some degree (at least early in his career) but Gurley won't have gaping holes and certainly has more competition than Gordon.

Chargers GM views Gordon as best pass protection back in draft...so there is that...

Chargers GM Tom Telesco said Thursday he considered No. 15 overall pick Melvin Gordon "the best pass-protecting back in the draft."

That wasn't what we saw on Gordon's college tape, but clearly the Chargers believe Gordon is an adequate, if not pro-ready pass-blocking back. It's good news for Gordon's fantasy football outlook. Danny Woodhead is going to handle most passing downs, but Gordon could mix in if he shows well in blitz pickup. As a healthy, clear-cut lead back in a good offense, Gordon has a chance to make a bigger year-one impact than St. Louis' Todd Gurley.

Umm. STL was ranked 28 per PFF, SD was 26. I'd say both Run blocking units stink. STL lost Long. I will give you the passing down argument to some degree (at least early in his career) but Gurley won't have gaping holes and certainly has more competition than Gordon.
yeah, but sd went through 4 or 5 centers last year, and they replaced a garbage guard with orlando franklin.

the st louis line probably got even worse

Totally disagree.
Neither of these guys are "competing" with anyone. They are clearly the best RB.St. L has the better oline. St. L has the better D. Gurley is the better talent. Fisher has visions of a supped up version of Eddie George running thru his head.
Why do you say this?
SD offense loves Woodhead on the field in passing situations. Gordon has no demonstrated ability in either receiving or blocking even if Woodhead wasn't there.
Sounds like Adrian Peterson.

Why'd they trade up? Was Houston an option?
Probably not....as stated in one of those post draft articles I think they were more worried about someone else trading up for him. Then again, Foster will be 29 when the season starts.

How many receptions did Ryan Mathews have in college? How many did he have in his Rookie year?
With a different coaching staff and without a 3rd round receiving back on the roster? Who cares?
Yeah, Gordon will never be able to catch passes or pass block.
obviously, I would rather he be bell if we're talking ppr, but you can still get 20 carries playing just a third of the snaps, and gordon has the talent to maximize those 20 carries, if that's what it came down to.

I think matthews barely played half the snaps and he had a very high carry/snap ratio -- one of the highest in the league.

I'll look up a couple weeks

matthews obviously missed time last year, so he only ended up playing in 6 games on only 15% of the team's total snaps for the year, but got 74 carries on those snaps, so if you triple his participation you'd get 224 carries on only 45%.

224 isn't fantastic, but it gets you in the ballpark, and that's still on less than half the total snaps, which is my point.

week 11 he got 16 carries on only 31 snaps, which was 43% of their total snaps.

he didn't have a lot of carries in his few games last year, but if you want to go back and look at 2013, these are the snaps he got in every week he had 19+ carries:

35 (49%) 40 (53%) 34 (48%) 36 (55%) 42 (58%) 37 (51%) 41 (57%) 37 (51%)

that was 190 carries over 8 games, averaging right about half the snaps.

edit: and he logged about 1000 total yards in those 8 games

I understand we all want the ppr, but it's not a perfect world.

also, as I mentioned above, their line should start the season much better off than it was last year

I googled up a couple summaries

Since the merger in 1970, not one single team had to deal with the type of adversity the San Diego Chargers’ offensive line faced in 2014. The Bolts became the only team in those 44 years to ever have to start five centers as injuries ravaged the position. Furthermore, two stalwarts for nearly a decade (Nick Hardwick and Jeromey Clary) virtually missed the entire season, making Johnnie Troutman the longest tenured member of the line even though he only joined the team in 2012 and missed that entire season recovering from a pectoral injury.
http://www.chargers.com/news/2015/01/09/recapping-2014-offensive-line

The San Diego Chargers added a versatile and imposing figure to their offensive line Tuesday, agreeing to terms with guard Orlando Franklin on a five-year contract. The 6-7, 320-pounder adds even more beef to a massive line that features the 6-9, 330-pound King Dunlap and 6-5, 339-pound D.J. Fluker.

Originally a second round selection (46th overall) out of Miami by the Denver Broncos in 2011, Franklin played right tackle his first three seasons before kicking inside to guard in 2014. He burst onto the scene as a difference maker his rookie year, named to Football Outsiders All-Rookie Team as he helped the Broncos lead the NFL in rushing with a franchise-record 164.5 yards per game. Franklin now reunites with Head Coach Mike McCoy, who was his offensive coordinator his first two years in the league.
http://www.chargers.com/news/2015/03/10/bolts-add-orlando-franklin-beef-offensive-line

Last edited by a moderator:
In terms of build, his height and weight (6' 1", 215 pounds) compares favorably to other great workhorse backs such as Edgerrin James (6' 1", 216 pounds), and more recently Eagles back DeMarco Murray (6'1", 213 pounds).
There one slight problem...Gordon ran a 4.52 while Edge ran 4.38 and Murray ran 4.43.
Is that difference in 40 time what separates them as prospects and limits Gordon's fantasy impact?

In terms of build, his height and weight (6' 1", 215 pounds) compares favorably to other great workhorse backs such as Edgerrin James (6' 1", 216 pounds), and more recently Eagles back DeMarco Murray (6'1", 213 pounds).
There one slight problem...Gordon ran a 4.52 while Edge ran 4.38 and Murray ran 4.43.
Is that difference in 40 time what separates them as prospects and limits Gordon's fantasy impact?
Probably limits his big plays at the NFL level. When you get stoned in the backfield for a loss or no gain once out of every five carries you need big gains to offset them.

Probably limits his big plays at the NFL level. When you get stoned in the backfield for a loss or no gain once out of every five carries you need big gains to offset them.
How much does 40 time correlate to runs of 20+ yards?Just as a comp, last years top 10 RBs with rushes of 20 or more were

Forsett, Murray, Foster, Bell, McCoy, Miller, Morris, Hill, Lacy and Lynch.

In 2013 it was

Lacy, Lynch, Morris, Gore, Forte, McCoy, Spiller, Ivory, Peterson, Ellington, Murray and Matthews.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread