What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Melvin Gordon, BAL (7 Viewers)

In terms of build, his height and weight (6' 1", 215 pounds) compares favorably to other great workhorse backs such as Edgerrin James (6' 1", 216 pounds), and more recently Eagles back DeMarco Murray (6'1", 213 pounds).
There one slight problem...Gordon ran a 4.52 while Edge ran 4.38 and Murray ran 4.43.
Edge never showed that kind of speed on the field. He was more known for his sick agility. Look up his 3-cone and shuttle.

Gordon has much better lateral quickness than Murray.

If I had to do a 1-for-1 comparison, Gordon reminds me most of Fred Jackson.

Edge never showed that kind of speed on the field.
Hell yes he did.
Jamaal Charles ran the same 40. Edge had the same speed on the field as Charles? That's ridiculous. Edge never had a season above 4.6 YPC, and he was in a Peyton Manning offense. Charles has a career YPC above 5.0. Let that sink in.
I dont think ypc directly translates intro speed. Not sure where you get that from. :mellow:

Hell yes he did.
Jamaal Charles ran the same 40. Edge had the same speed on the field as Charles? That's ridiculous. Edge never had a season above 4.6 YPC, and he was in a Peyton Manning offense. Charles has a career YPC above 5.0. Let that sink in.
Are you aware that some players play faster than they time, and vice versa? It's not anywhere near a perfect correlation.

Hell yes he did.
Edge wasn't the same after his knee injury. He broke his share of big plays in 1999-2001.

Hell yes he did.
Are you aware that some players play faster than they time, and vice versa? It's not anywhere near a perfect correlation.
You just proved my point for me.

Hell yes he did.
I dont think ypc directly translates intro speed. Not sure where you get that from. :mellow:
Edge ran 4.38. Charles ran 4.38. Only one of these guys plays/played to that speed.

Regardless, Gordon's acceleration is crazy good on the field. I don't think he'll have any shortage of 20+ yard runs. He probably won't have many 40+ ones though.

Hell yes he did.
Edge ran 4.38. Charles ran 4.38. Only one of these guys plays/played to that speed.

Regardless, Gordon's acceleration is crazy good on the field. I don't think he'll have any shortage of 20+ yard runs. He probably won't have many 40+ ones though.
Charles has to play fast to minimize contact as often as he can, Edge didn't.

Hell yes he did.
Edge ran 4.38. Charles ran 4.38. Only one of these guys plays/played to that speed.Regardless, Gordon's acceleration is crazy good on the field. I don't think he'll have any shortage of 20+ yard runs. He probably won't have many 40+ ones though.
Wait, so Edge could have played faster but chose not to?

Hell yes he did.
Edge ran 4.38. Charles ran 4.38. Only one of these guys plays/played to that speed.Regardless, Gordon's acceleration is crazy good on the field. I don't think he'll have any shortage of 20+ yard runs. He probably won't have many 40+ ones though.
He liked getting hit, so he didn't run as fast as he could.

Hell yes he did.
No. But his style wasnt to jitterbug and always be hitting the jets to not take shots.

Hell yes he did.
No. But his style wasnt to jitterbug and always be hitting the jets to not take shots.
You aren't being particularly clear

Hell yes he did.

You just dispelled your own argument.

How many receptions do the Gordon lovers expect from him per year? That's the deciding factor for me on taking him or cooper 2.

Same 40 time does not = same type of runner. Charles is a smooth runner, in and out of cuts. He loses little to no speed in his transition. This is what reminds people of Gordon, not the actual speed. This smooth transition leads to "playing speed." Edge was a jittery runner with more dynamic cuts, stop/start.

Not only that, but Charles is a top tier sprinter. Edge was not. 40 may be similar but Charles long speed blows most anyone else away.

My 2 cents.

How many receptions do the Gordon lovers expect from him per year? That's the deciding factor for me on taking him or cooper 2.
I don't have a crystal ball, of course, but I wouldn't be banking on much in the way of ppr -- in year one, anyway
I think Gordon is now being massively under valued. It's become trendy to rank him behind Cooper and White. Has everyone forgotten how scarce fantasy RBs actually are in most leagues???

I'm probably going to take him with the 1.01 in a 16 team contract/salary cap league. Only .25 PPR for RBs. Max 5 year contracts. I'm in championship mode this year only with Bell as my only RB and he's out the first 3 weeks. Gordon projects to start and produce right away while Gurley may be on the PUP and brought along slowly. So Gordon project better for this year for my run. Years 2-5 Gurley probably has more upside but Gordon won't really be that far behind in my eyes so I'll get a guy I can still rebuild around.

Hell yes he did.
Sorry, but Edge did not play fast on the field. His career long was 72 yds in 1999. In the next 10 years, he only broke 40 yds twice. 2003(43) & 2004 (40). He would always get chased down.

Think about that. He had Manning as his QB for 7 years and rarely saw a stacked box. If he's fast, how did he only have 3 carries over 40 yds in 11 years? Awesome player over his career, but don't see how you can say he played fast.

I don't have a crystal ball, of course, but I wouldn't be banking on much in the way of ppr -- in year one, anyway
I think Gordon is now being massively under valued. It's become trendy to rank him behind Cooper and White.

Has everyone forgotten how scarce fantasy RBs actually are in most leagues???
I haven't been in a league that requires 2 RB's in over 10 years so apparently yes.

I heard someone knock Gordon because he didn't face any top ranked run defenses last year. I can't look it up right now but was wondering if that had been discussed at all in here.

I heard someone knock Gordon because he didn't face any top ranked run defenses last year. I can't look it up right now but was wondering if that had been discussed at all in here.
I didn't see that put I posted this in the Coleman thread:

When we compare the receiving numbers of Coleman and Gordon, as well as their performances against common opponents, both running backs yield similar results. Coleman ended up with fewer receiving yards (141) than Gordon (151), but before Sudfeld was injured, he was doing quite a bit in the passing game, including catching a few wheel routes and making a huge catch and run that set up the game-winning touchdown against Mizzou.

Under Diamont, Coleman never reached above single-digit passing yards in a game for the rest of the season, but had Sudfeld remained in, this might have been a different story. Thus, when compared with the rest of the offense for both teams, Coleman ends up looking more impressive as well.

Comparing Coleman and Gordon against common opponents also basically ends up as a stalemate between the two.

- Both rushed for the same amount of yards and carries against Maryland (122 yards on 22 carries)

- Gordon bested Coleman's rushing yards against Bowling Green (253 vs. 190) and Purdue (205 vs.130)

- Coleman held the advantage against Iowa (209 vs. 200) and Rutgers (307 vs. 128). And while those Iowa numbers are close, Coleman had 14.6 YPC in this game compared to Gordon's 6.5.

- When Coleman played the Buckeyes, he ran for 228 yards and 3 touchdowns - compared to 26 carries for 76 yards for Gordon.

http://www.crimsonquarry.com/2014/12/4/7331309/tevin-coleman-melvin-gordon-heisman-indiana-wisconsin-football

It's a valid knock because Gordon created the schedule and decided to avoid the top run defenses.

Here's what I posted in another thread a while back:

gianmarco said:
BassNBrew said:
I noticed a trend that when he's playing teams like Bowling Green, Rutgers, and Northwest Montana State he reaches pay dirt.
Yeah, I noticed the same trend when he plays teams like LSU, Auburn, Nebraska, and Minnesota.

16/140/1 @ LSU

29/151/1 vs. Minn

25/408/4 vs. Nebraska

34/251/3 vs. Auburn

Gordon as a 3rd down back

We all know Melvin Gordon can run the football.

The Chargers drafted Melvin Gordon because he can run the football. If you draft Melvin Gordon, it is because he can run the football.

I’m not going to waste your time talking about how good Melvin Gordon is at running the football. As SNL’s Kyle Mooney would say, “Please just read the stats.”

What I am going to take your time with is the aspect of his game we haven’t seen yet, and could be the difference between him being an RB1 and an RB2.

Third downs.

The consensus on Gordon is that he can’t pass protect and he can’t catch, AKA the two things a running back has to do to stay on the field on the third downs. As good of a runner as Gordon is, his fantasy ceiling is severely capped if he cannot stay on the field in passing situations.

Take Alfred Morris for example. He is a talented, physical runner, but has had to come off the field in passing situations his entire career because of his limitations as a receiver and pass blocker. His rookie year, he was on a good team that could afford to pound the rock, and did not have to come off the field as much due to the fewer passing situations. That year he was on the field for 70.5% of offensive snaps (via Football Outsiders), was third in the league in carries, and finished as a top-five fantasy running back, despite a paltry 16 targets (just one per game for those counting at home).

The knocks on Gordon’s receiving and pass protecting abilities are rooted in hindsight rather than projection. Sure Gordon never eclipsed 19 receptions in a season, but according to Chargers head coach Mike McCoy, that’s par for the course up in Madison.

“Number one they want to run the football there,” McCoy said during a press conference following the selection of Gordon. “They’ve done it historically for a number of years.”

Gordon didn’t haul in many passes because he didn’t have many passes to haul in. Wisconsin has always been a power-running team, and last season, only 10 teams had fewer pass attempts per game than the Badgers. McCoy sees more potential for Gordon as a receiver than his college career suggests.

“We’ll give him more opportunities [in the passing game],” McCoy said. “I don’t want to take that away from him. There’s a part in the screen game also that he could fit into—you see him on film run certain screens and certain things like that—so he’s going to be good in the passing game also.”

Chargers fans may remember a guy by the name of LaDainian Tomlinson. In his four years at TCU, Tomlinson only racked up 11, six, 16, and 10 receptions. His first year in San Diego? 59. The next season? 79. Next? 100. Alfred Morris had more catches in his sophomore and senior seasons than Tomlinson, but Tomlinson ended up catching 12 more passes in his rookie year than Morris has in his entire career. Still think Gordon’s 19 catches last year mean anything?

“He can play on all three downs in all situations for us.”

McCoy doesn’t, and he sees a lot more potential for Gordon’s receiving prospects at the next level. At one point in the press conference, he brought up “motioning him out of the backfield to get a mismatch against a linebacker,” and the tape backs up that proposition. Two of ex-Chargers lead back Ryan Mathews’ nine catches from his injury-plagued season last year came on “out” routes that he ran from the slot.

The first came in week 2 agains the Seahawks. Mathews lined up in the slot, creating a mismatch with the linebacker, like McCoy suggested. Wideout Keenan Allen ran a 10-yard hitch, which forced the corner and safety to play overtop, and created space for Mathews to get open underneath. The result was a 16-yard reception.

The Chargers ran the exact same play in week 12 against the Rams, and Mathews broke it off for a 10-yard gain. Mathews and Gordon are similarly built players with similar play styles, so it is conceivable to see Gordon stepping right into this sort of play with Mathews now in Philly. It wasn’t just Mathews lining up outside either. In just skimming over tape, I counted 11 times that either Branden Oliver, Donald Brown, or Danny Woodhead lined up on the perimeter.

So clearly McCoy is confident in Gordon’s abilities as a pass catcher, and has a track record of getting his backs out in space, but what about pass protection? Chargers GM Tom Telesco offered up his take on that in the press conference.

“He can protect the passer, which I know our coaches are big on, as I am too,” Telesco said. “It’s a big part of our offense to protect Phillip [Rivers] from back there, and he does that extremely well. He’s actually the best pass protecting back in the draft.”

Telesco watched days worth of tape on Gordon before trading up to draft him in the first round, so that ringing endorsement holds a lot of weight. The Chargers wouldn’t have given up extra picks to go up and get a guy they didn’t think could stay on the field and protect their Pro Bowl quarterback. By the end of the presser, McCoy debunked any notion that Gordon was a two-down back.

“He can play on all three downs in all situations for us,” McCoy said.

We’ve seen what Gordon can do on the ground. In November, he broke LaDainian Tomlinson’s NCAA record for rushing yards in a game with 408. If he can do the same to LT’s San Diego receiving numbers, then we’ve got the next Charger fantasy stud on our hands.

There are a few reasons why Gordon isn't likely to play much in passing situations: receiving ability, pass protection, and Woodhead.

On receiving ability, it isn't just that he only caught 22 passes in his career. As the article notes, that could be strictly a function of (lack of) opportunity. But from his NFL draft profile:

Uncomfortable pass-catcher with marginal hands. Either dropped, double caught or smothered many throws. Pass protection needs work. Might have to come off field on third downs.
In addition to that comment on his pass protection, from PFF's College Football Focus Player Profile on Gordon:

The other area that Gordon needs to improve is in pass protection and it doesn’t help that he wasn’t asked to pass block often. He stayed in to block on 27.5% of pass plays, the 12th-lowest rate among qualifying backs in this class. Gordon allowed one sack and five pressures for a Pass Blocking Efficiency of 93.4, tied for 41st out of 59 backs.
Then there is Woodhead, who is expected back at 100% this season. He was very effective in the passing game in 2013. He was signed and subsequently given a contract extension by this regime (Telesco/McCoy). Woodhead isn't a good pass blocker, either, but that doesn't help Gordon. It could lead to some snaps for Brown, whose best attribute is pass blocking. More likely, they will just live with the pro of Woodhead's receiving ability paired with his con of poor pass blocking on passing downs.

Given Gordon's strengths and weaknesses (which also include fumbling), he sounds a lot like Mathews, except not as good a receiver. That is fine if he can stay healthier than Mathews; Mathews was actually a very good running back when healthy. But it implies that the team will likely use him in the near term like they used Mathews, i.e., in on running downs, out on obvious passing downs, and sharing a lot of snaps with Woodhead, Brown, and Oliver.

In 2013, Mathews and Woodhead played in all 16 regular season games. Woodhead played 504 snaps, Mathews 480. I would be surprised if Gordon's snap count is lower than Woodhead's (assuming both remain healthy), but I think it will be lower than most are expecting.

IMO the best case from a dynasty perspective is that he gets better at receiving and pass blocking and is ready to take on passing downs when Woodhead declines.

Melvin Gordon, Denzel Perryman could start for San Diego ChargersExcerpt:

Why Melvin Gordon could start:With the departure of Ryan Mathewsin free agency, the Chargers needed an every-down running back. San Diego found one in the first round of this year’s draft with the selection of Wisconsin’s Gordon. So far, Gordon has been as good as advertised in offseason workouts. He’s proved a quick study, both on the field and in the classroom. And he’s been better than expected in the passing game. Most important, Gordon won’t be asked to carry the offense. With Danny Woodhead, Branden Oliver and Donald Brown, Gordon will be part of a running back by committee approach that should provide a significant improvement for San Diego’s running game in 2015. But Gordon will serve as the bell-cow running back. “He studies and he’s smart,” Chargers running back coach Ollie Wilson said. “When you give him something, you know that you’re on to the next thing. Usually with rookies it takes a little while to get it done. Now, he’s still working through some of the protection stuff. But for the most part, when we give him something, he’s pretty much got it. So that’s going to help him stay on the field.”

Melvin Gordon "could" start. Whoa, whoa, whoa slow down!

ESPN is saying a guy that cost three draft picks will start in front of an undrafted Oliver?! How much is ESPN insider? If this is just a taste of their insights it's hard to imagine what I'm missing from their platinum content!

Same 40 time does not = same type of runner. Charles is a smooth runner, in and out of cuts. He loses little to no speed in his transition. This is what reminds people of Gordon, not the actual speed. This smooth transition leads to "playing speed." Edge was a jittery runner with more dynamic cuts, stop/start.

Not only that, but Charles is a top tier sprinter. Edge was not. 40 may be similar but Charles long speed blows most anyone else away.

My 2 cents.
Speed is very over rated just ask Chris Johnson

Melvin Gordon, Denzel Perryman could start for San Diego Chargers

Excerpt:

Why Melvin Gordon could start:With the departure of Ryan Mathewsin free agency, the Chargers needed an every-down running back. San Diego found one in the first round of this year’s draft with the selection of Wisconsin’s Gordon. So far, Gordon has been as good as advertised in offseason workouts. He’s proved a quick study, both on the field and in the classroom. And he’s been better than expected in the passing game. Most important, Gordon won’t be asked to carry the offense. With Danny Woodhead, Branden Oliver and Donald Brown, Gordon will be part of a running back by committee approach that should provide a significant improvement for San Diego’s running game in 2015. But Gordon will serve as the bell-cow running back. “He studies and he’s smart,” Chargers running back coach Ollie Wilson said. “When you give him something, you know that you’re on to the next thing. Usually with rookies it takes a little while to get it done. Now, he’s still working through some of the protection stuff. But for the most part, when we give him something, he’s pretty much got it. So that’s going to help him stay on the field.”
Am I missing something?

Gordon will be part of a running back by committee approach...

But Gordon will serve as the bell-cow running back.

My 2 cents.
Speed is very over rated just ask Chris Johnson
Even if Chris Johnson retires this year he has had a pretty solid career.

http://espn.go.com/blog/san-diego-chargers/post/_/id/11568/chargers-rb-coach-ollie-wilson-says-melvin-gordon-a-hard-worker-ahead-of-schedule

“What I’ve seen from him is No. 1, he’s a big-time competitor,” Wilson said. “He wants to compete in any situation that he’s in.

“This guy is in the building every day, even on weekends. One of our offensive line coaches was in here working out on Sunday morning, and Melvin was in here on the treadmill at 5 a.m. So it’s one of those situations where he came in with a great desire to be a great player, and now he’s trying to work at it in that situation, and we’ll see how it goes.”

Hell yes he did.
yea that's FBG for you though, guys make up their own theories and present their opinions as facts.. HAHA wow

Hell yes he did.
Agreed what games was Xue watching, and saying Gordon is fjax, please son you need to watch games actually. Gordon is a bigger Jamaal Charles, their is no one else he looks or plays like end of story. Everyone can see that.
LOL. You compared him to Charles and then say there is no one else he plays like. LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread