What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Melvin Gordon, BAL (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

After attending Chargers camp, CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports Melvin Gordon's pass protection "remains a work in progress."

Gordon was a willing-but-deficient pass protector at Wisconsin. Pass protection is an attribute that can be taught, but one with which rookie running backs often struggle. Gordon's continued pass-protection woes will likely result in him getting pulled on all passing downs in favor of Danny Woodhead.

Source: CBS Sports

Aug 12 - 2:38 PM
This is in line with expectations. He was getting pulled for woodhead on third downs this year anyway.

Rotoworld:

After attending Chargers camp, CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports Melvin Gordon's pass protection "remains a work in progress."

Gordon was a willing-but-deficient pass protector at Wisconsin. Pass protection is an attribute that can be taught, but one with which rookie running backs often struggle. Gordon's continued pass-protection woes will likely result in him getting pulled on all passing downs in favor of Danny Woodhead.

Source: CBS Sports

Aug 12 - 2:38 PM
This is in line with expectations. He was getting pulled for woodhead on third downs this year anyway.
Yeah, I assume we are going to be told this revolutionary information over, and over, and over again.

Yet in the Charger game threads there will plenty of folks who will post, "WTF is going one?! ZOMG! Why is Mathews Gordon being taken out of the game?!?" all season long. Maybe multiple seasons.

Rotoworld:

The Union-Tribune San Diego describes Chargers first-round pick Melvin Gordon as "more patient than most rookies and almost too patient at times."

It could be nothing, or it could be something: Gordon had a tendency to slow or even stop his feet behind the line of scrimmage at Wisconsin, and was stuffed or thrown for a loss on nearly 20 percent of his college runs. Gordon also remains "a work in progress" as a pass protector. Gordon is priced reasonably at his third-/fourth-round ADP, but we'd probably balk if he started going higher.

Source: Union-Tribune San Diego
Link:

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/aug/12/chargers-malcom-floyd-melvin-gordon-fluker/

Actual excerpt:

Melvin Gordon debut: The first-round pick is a patient runner, more patient than most rookies and almost too patient at times. He'll spend the preseason searching for that balance between patience and decisiveness. Gordon also will receive valuable game reps in pass protection. The Chargers are excited about Gordon and the balance he can bring their offense.

Rotoworld:

The Union-Tribune San Diego describes Chargers first-round pick Melvin Gordon as "more patient than most rookies and almost too patient at times."It could be nothing, or it could be something: Gordon had a tendency to slow or even stop his feet behind the line of scrimmage at Wisconsin, and was stuffed or thrown for a loss on nearly 20 percent of his college runs. Gordon also remains "a work in progress" as a pass protector. Gordon is priced reasonably at his third-/fourth-round ADP, but we'd probably balk if he started going higher.

Source: Union-Tribune San Diego
Link:http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/aug/12/chargers-malcom-floyd-melvin-gordon-fluker/

Actual excerpt:

Melvin Gordon debut: The first-round pick is a patient runner, more patient than most rookies and almost too patient at times. He'll spend the preseason searching for that balance between patience and decisiveness. Gordon also will receive valuable game reps in pass protection. The Chargers are excited about Gordon and the balance he can bring their offense.
I am hoping for the best, but this is exactly what worries me about Gordon. Whether it's called "patience" or a tendency to "dance" before hitting the hole, I am not sure it's a recipe for success near the goal line and imo if he doesn't score double digit TD's he'll be a bust this year based on what they gave up.

When the SD offense can keep Rivers in managable 2nd/3rd downs he can carve a defense up. Mathews may not have the big play ability of a Gordon but he had good lean and rarely got hit for a loss even behind OL's much worse than this one. If Gordon gets the offense into many 2nd/3rd and long situations he takes himself out of the game.

He's playing on NFLN right now. Had a few touches already; hasn't done much with them. He looks a bit jittery, honestly. I'll put up the video if he does anything noteworthy. Woodhead vultured a TD from him, BTW. We might have to get used to that.

Rotoworld:

Melvin Gordon rushed six times for 11 yards in Thursday's preseason opener against the Cowboys.

Gordon showed a bit of a stutter-step at the line and found very few holes as he racked up the six carries in just two series of action. As expected, Danny Woodhead came in on third downs and took one of those third-down reps for an 8-yard touchdown on a draw. Gordon's receiving totals and scoring upside are both capped by the presence of Woodhead, a coaching staff favorite and underrated red-zone runner.

Related: Danny Woodhead

Aug 13 - 11:05 PM

The state of the Chargers O-line plus a healthy Woodhead and Oliver makes me drop Melvin,I'd sooner pass on him where he's being drafted for someone better and grab Woodhead a bit later. my 2 cents

He's playing on NFLN right now. Had a few touches already; hasn't done much with them. He looks a bit jittery, honestly. I'll put up the video if he does anything noteworthy. Woodhead vultured a TD from him, BTW. We might have to get used to that.
That pesky Woodhead. He is going to be the reason Gurley looks to be the clear winner in the Rookie Rb debate this year.

That pesky Woodhead. He is going to be the reason Gurley looks to be the clear winner in the Rookie Rb debate this year.
Gurley's not even on the field yet and looks like he will miss the 1st couple of games. If anyone is going to have a say in this it may be that kid up in Detroit.

TripItUp said:
Abdullah up, Gordon down.
It doesn't (shouldn't) work like that after one preseason game.
Agree to disagree.
TripItUp said:
For veterans,agreed,for rookies,valid opinion
Three and six carries, respectively, tells the whole story?

TripItUp said:
Agree to disagree.
TripItUp said:
For veterans,agreed,for rookies,valid opinion
Three and six carries, respectively, tells the whole story?
Remember when Lawrence Maroney made his debut in Pre-season? Looked like the 2nd coming. Not so much.

From what I saw, Gordon didn't actually hit the holes that opened up. I think the first-string O-line played very well, and Watt especially had some good blocks (the double down-field block on Woodhead's TD run was strong, if a bit lucky). There were holes on Gordon's runs, but he didn't see them or didn't bite at them. Obviously it's just preseason game 1, but it's not nothing.

From what I saw, Gordon didn't actually hit the holes that opened up. I think the first-string O-line played very well, and Watt especially had some good blocks (the double down-field block on Woodhead's TD run was strong, if a bit lucky). There were holes on Gordon's runs, but he didn't see them or didn't bite at them. Obviously it's just preseason game 1, but it's not nothing.
Agreed. His stat line meant nothing to me, but the video is a lot more concerning. That repeated stutter step at the LoS was bizarre. I thought the blocking was there as well.

Many people drafted him with unrealistic expectations year 1. The word three down bell cow was being carelessly thrown around and the Woodhead effect was being downplayed. But anyone who drafted him knows this is a marathon not a sprint. He should be fine. I hope. I just thought about Montee Ball.

(FFToday)Melvin Gordon's mediocre training camp continued Thursday night in San Diego's 17-7 preseason win over Dallas. Taking the field with the starters, Gordon had six carries for just 11 yards. Though San Diego punched it in for a touchdown on the opening drive, the Chargers did so via Danny Woodhead as Gordon watched from the sidelines. After Gordon and Woodhead took a seat, second-year back Brandon Oliver shined with 10 carries for 53 yards and a score. For the heralded rookie out of Wisconsin, the slow start was more of the same: Gordon in camp has not assumed the confident, downhill approach that defined him in college, instead appearing to wait too long for his blocks before being stuffed for small gains. "I definitely have a lot of work to do," he said afterward.

Analysis: The rookie RB is being taken 29th overall on average in 12-team, standard scoring drafts. While Gordon's underwhelming performance thus far should be cause for concern, it doesn't mean you should avoid him completely. Drafting a rookie is always risky, but the Chargers will likely be patient with Gordon. He should see upwards of 200 touches, virtually guaranteeing him plenty of fantasy value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its pretty much nothing. But sd oline sux0r

I've seen and heard enough negative to know he'll go higher than I'm willing to risk.

Hyperbole can't take away from the fact that he did not live up to the expecations of a first round running back. Runners taken in the first round should not have so many things to fix. Unless their names are Montee Ball or Trent Richardson. Hopefully he figures it out quick.

Gordon will be this years biggest draft bust imo. I just don't see him doing well with the small holes you have to work with in the NFL. Vision is hard to measure when the holes at Wisconsin are 5 yds wide,.
Serious question how many Wisconsin games did you actually watch last year? Gordon was their entire offense and consistently faced 8 and 9 man fronts. They had no passing game at all. He wasn't running through huge holes last year...far from it.

Gordon will be this years biggest draft bust imo. I just don't see him doing well with the small holes you have to work with in the NFL. Vision is hard to measure when the holes at Wisconsin are 5 yds wide,.
Serious question how many Wisconsin games did you actually watch last year?
How many Wisconsin RB's have you watched in the NFL?

I realize I have been the loudest doubter since the day they traded three draft picks to draft him but I think they did a bit of injustice in only allowing him six(disappointing) carries. He may have a period of adjustment to the NFL. Normally I don't like seeing starters exposed to injury but this kid has a lot to learn. He absolutely will break off chunks of yards if given enough opportunities and it would have been nice to see him given more like 10-12 chances to show that and build his confidence with at least one good play.

I was worried how he would do at the goal line... but will he even get goal line carries if this is his style? So to recap, he'll have a very limited role in the passing game and as I have been saying maybe his redzone role may be smaller than first thought. Sounds like a very, very expensive COP back to me unless he is given enough time to figure things out BEFORE the games start to count. SD can't afford to flush another Rivers season down the toilet because this guy is on the field with training wheels in real games.

I realize I have been the loudest doubter since the day they traded three draft picks to draft him but I think they did a bit of injustice in only allowing him six(disappointing) carries. He may have a period of adjustment to the NFL. Normally I don't like seeing starters exposed to injury but this kid has a lot to learn. He absolutely will break off chunks of yards if given enough opportunities and it would have been nice to see him given more like 10-12 chances to show that and build his confidence with at least one good play.

I was worried how he would do at the goal line... but will he even get goal line carries if this is his style? So to recap, he'll have a very limited role in the passing game and as I have been saying maybe his redzone role may be smaller than first thought. Sounds like a very, very expensive COP back to me unless he is given enough time to figure things out BEFORE the games start to count. SD can't afford to flush another Rivers season down the toilet because this guy is on the field with training wheels in real games.
Relax it was one preseason game. Gordon is way more talented than any WI RB has ever produced. To assume he's going to be a bust because of where he went to college is unfair to Gordon.

Serious question how many Wisconsin games did you actually watch last year? Gordon was their entire offense and consistently faced 8 and 9 man fronts. They had no passing game at all. He wasn't running through huge holes last year...far from it.
I think the better question is how many you watched. Hell just watch his highlights and you can see how horribly wrong your statement is.
Every snap Chief. I've been a Badger season ticket holder for 20 years. Yes he did on occassion have some huge holes to run through last year but he was also the entire Badgers offense. Every team the Badgers played stacked the box to stop him. Also last years Badgers offensive line wasn't loaded with the NFL talent of prior Badger lines. Be patient Gordon will be fine.

The question for me isn't if Gordon "will be fine", it's whether he can justify his #37 overall ADP.

I don't think I've seen enough to say that he is worth that kind of investment.

...and nobody is "panicking", we're simply taking better players at that ADP.

The question for me isn't if Gordon "will be fine", it's whether he can justify his #37 overall ADP.

This.

In fairness, turning down Gordon for Abdullah straight up is he very definition of panicking.

Relax it was one preseason game. Gordon is way more talented than any WI RB has ever produced. To assume he's going to be a bust because of where he went to college is unfair to Gordon.
But my criticisms aren't with his results. My criticism has to do with his style of play, and that may eventually change but right now he looks like a guy that was nailed at or behind the line of scrimmage every 4 or 5 rushing attempts. You watched him in college didn't you?

BTW, I think he'll be a fantasy football bust(I've been in ppr leagues where he was drafted #21 overall) and I don't think he will be worth a 1st, 3rd, and 4th round draft pick..... but I'm not saying he won't make any good plays. He'll fill a role. I just think that role looks smaller than plenty of people think it will be.

In fairness, turning down Gordon for Abdullah straight up is he very definition of panicking.
Agreed.

Well, none of us has seen either one play yet. Turning down that trade may also represent what people think about Woodhead vs Bell just as much as Gordon vs Abdullah.

In terms of FF in a ppr league my opinion is certainly in the minority(based on ADP) but Woodhead is the safest bet out of all four of them and it's just a bonus he's also the cheapest of the group.

Those who watched him closely in college, what do attribute all his dancing in the backfield too in game one? I don't recall seeing him so timid and unsure in college. He seemed confident in his eyes and decisive in college. He looked cautious and unsure the other day and therefor danced for no reason.

This may be nitpicking, but I don't agree. Trading away Gordon FOR Abdullah based on one preseason game might be panicking.

BUT an owner who already had Abdullah....who turns down Gordon for Abdullah......could simply have liked Abdullah better all along.

Again, perhaps nitpicking or too much nuance, but the 2 situations I described are different.

Those who watched him closely in college, what do attribute all his dancing in the backfield too in game one? I don't recall seeing him so timid and unsure in college. He seemed confident in his eyes and decisive in college. He looked cautious and unsure the other day and therefor danced for no reason.
I just happened to be reading his scouting report out of college the other day. Lots of positives, but this was a negative:

Shows indecisiveness as one-cut runner. Would gear down and stutter-step to line, waiting for crease to show itself rather than adjusting on fly and taking what was available.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/melvin-gordon?id=2552469

Agreed.
I would rather have Abdullah.

:lmao: Guy in my league is freaking out now. He went Gordon 1.1 and is trying to unload him. :lmao: I love the pre-season.
jesus, how don't people realize how meaningless preseason is. it's a joke, would serve people better to basically ignore it.
I agree that as a whole it creates a small sample size/panic, but you can't ignore the fact that in his first NFL snaps Gordon proved exactly what scouts had feared about him: his indecisiveness at the line. Now, granted, it was one game with six carries, but it still wasn't a great display. I think what we have here is a combination of over-expectations meeting reality and that is creating the panic.

Users who are viewing this thread